The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Mac

Watch: Sea Dweller
Icon20 SD lugs sharper than Sub???

Hi Guys!

As some of you will know I am awaiting an SD to come into my AD and am intending to do a swap for my Sub.
anyway, I found an SD in another dealer (who wont do the deal!) but did let me try it on and compare it side by side to my Subby.
Other than the usual size difference (face & thickness etc...) I noticed that the lugs on the new SD were noticably sharper than on my Sub! Infact if my SD has lugs that sharp (or in my opinion unfinished) I think I would consider refusing it.
Does anyone have experience of this and can you tell me if this usual or if this particular SD was a one off? OR is it "pot luck2 as to how well finished your SD/Sub case is?
My Sub has lovely "non sharp" smooth edges as befits a £2,600 watch case!!!
I also noticed that there was a very noticable "step" or sharp "lip" where the SEL meets the lugs on the SD. This is hardly noticable on my Sub! Am I just lucky to have gotten a nicely finished Sub or is the SD just a bad example?

Any advice appreciated
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2006, 03:25 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Hi Guys!

As some of you will know I am awaiting an SD to come into my AD and am intending to do a swap for my Sub.
anyway, I found an SD in another dealer (who wont do the deal!) but did let me try it on and compare it side by side to my Subby.
Other than the usual size difference (face & thickness etc...) I noticed that the lugs on the new SD were noticably sharper than on my Sub! Infact if my SD has lugs that sharp (or in my opinion unfinished) I think I would consider refusing it.
Does anyone have experience of this and can you tell me if this usual or if this particular SD was a one off? OR is it "pot luck2 as to how well finished your SD/Sub case is?
My Sub has lovely "non sharp" smooth edges as befits a £2,600 watch case!!!
I also noticed that there was a very noticable "step" or sharp "lip" where the SEL meets the lugs on the SD. This is hardly noticable on my Sub! Am I just lucky to have gotten a nicely finished Sub or is the SD just a bad example?

Any advice appreciated
Hi Mac,

Welcome to TRF!! I've owned an SD once and found it to be very comfortable. Never noticed the sharp lugs. But the last bit you wrote has me worried - the bit about the noticeable "step" or sharp "lip". Try and compare this SD with another one....that's the only way you will be able to tell if there is a defect in the QC at Rolex.
You might want to consider refusing it if you aren't happy and then call for another piece.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2006, 07:12 AM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I never noticed it on mine when I owned it, Mac, but make sure you examine it close. It does need to fit your standards for the pricetag on it.

Best of luck and let us know when she lands on your wrist.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Hi and welcome to this fine forum. The 'sharp lug' issue has been around on Subs too (ca. 1999-2000). They are pointy but normally don't touch the wrist. If your SD seems below par, refuse it or you'll regret it later on. Perhaps this means waiting again for anther one but bite the bullet. But these watches pass so many hands during manufacture that it would be a real foul up on the part of Rolex to have this one slip through. Cheers and good luck!
Old 22 February 2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Atomic

If the lugs are bothering you, just take off the bracelet, get a good metal file and smooth them out. It may not look pretty, and it may possibly affect resale value, but hey, comfort comes first.
Old 22 February 2006, 08:17 AM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I don't think you need to worry too much about lug sharpness. The two photos below show how high the SD sits above your wrist, thanks to its thick caseback:

If you're wearing it tight enough for the lugs to dig in, your bigger issue would be worrying about how to get blood circulation in your hand going again.
Old 22 February 2006, 03:40 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice clear pics, James!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Mac

Watch: Sea Dweller
Thanks for the input & pics!

Your SD does not seem to have the same "sharpness" to the edges as the one I saw in the shop.

The one I saw in the shop was NOT the one I'm having! It is in another AD whom I happened to walk past when out shopping with Mrs Mac.
I have yet to see mine in the flesh as that AD is a bit further away and I can't get untill the weekend.
Hopefully mine will be nicely finished like yours!

Mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote