The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2016, 12:33 AM   #31
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I'm curious whether you intentionally dress like shit to spite a nice place or are you just a slob all the time? Don't get me wrong...I wear shorts/jeans with a v-nck tshirt with loafers or dressy sneakers most days. Its casual but not sloppy but if I'm going stay at a nice hotel or eat at a nice restaurant, I dress appropriately.

People pay a premium to stay at nice hotels because of the service and amenities. They are typically occupied by similarly like-minded guests, which adds to the experience. Others save and save to stay at a nicer place to celebrate a special occasion or to experience a level of service they typically can't afford. And then there are guests that f*ck up the place with money and no class.

There are very few benefits to living in a co-op building compared to a condo. One of them is as a shareholder/resident, we aren't forced to live with a buyer just because they have money.
I just wear what I like. For example, if I am wearing a pair of distressed jeans and a Chrome Hearts Hoodie or Mastermind Japan stuff with a pair of CH shoes I will look like a bum to anyone that is not in to those things.

I am never loud, disrespectful or rude. In fact I am an incredibly introverted person and will dine in silence with my headphones in.

For example when I am in Toronto staying at say Trump tower (on the hotel side) I have friends that live at the residence side. We dress the same and eat at the same places. We wear the clothes we like. I am not in the mindset to impress anyone and I am very comfortable in my own skin.

To the best of my knowledge I have never ruined someone's experience at a fine hotel because of my attire. Generally I appear more approachable than any other guest which believe it or not is highly appreciated to most people.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 03:19 AM   #32
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I just wear what I like. For example, if I am wearing a pair of distressed jeans and a Chrome Hearts Hoodie or Mastermind Japan stuff with a pair of CH shoes I will look like a bum to anyone that is not in to those things.

I am never loud, disrespectful or rude. In fact I am an incredibly introverted person and will dine in silence with my headphones in.

For example when I am in Toronto staying at say Trump tower (on the hotel side) I have friends that live at the residence side. We dress the same and eat at the same places. We wear the clothes we like. I am not in the mindset to impress anyone and I am very comfortable in my own skin.

To the best of my knowledge I have never ruined someone's experience at a fine hotel because of my attire. Generally I appear more approachable than any other guest which believe it or not is highly appreciated to most people.

IMO that's completely fine. You're wearing casual but fashionable clothes. I dont think even the most traditional person would fault that. It's completely different than I interpreted your post to mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 07:30 AM   #33
smak
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious whether you intentionally dress like shit to spite a nice place or are you just a slob all the time? Don't get me wrong...I wear shorts/jeans with a v-nck tshirt with loafers or dressy sneakers most days. Its casual but not sloppy but if I'm going stay at a nice hotel or eat at a nice restaurant, I dress appropriately.

People pay a premium to stay at nice hotels because of the service and amenities. They are typically occupied by similarly like-minded guests, which adds to the experience. Others save and save to stay at a nicer place to celebrate a special occasion or to experience a level of service they typically can't afford. And then there are guests that f*ck up the place with money and no class.

There are very few benefits to living in a co-op building compared to a condo. One of them is as a shareholder/resident, we aren't forced to live with a buyer just because they have money.
I think the point he was trying to get across is the convention of sacrificing a degree of his own comfort to put others at ease is lost on him.

I am a member of this camp myself and refuse to be another "service or amenity" that raises an establishments profile in the eyes of you and yours.

Not that i don't mind occasionally dressing up, when the moment strikes.

Life is about variety! Try to be a bit more open minded?
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 07:36 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My fave Michelin restaurant does ask for jacket and tie but nearly all the others in UK do not, just no jeans and trainers, so usually a suit, with or without tie - I usually don't wear one, should be fine. A dinner jacket is overkill.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 08:05 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I generally wear dark denim, crisp button up and some nice lace ups. If there's a dress code, which there well may be at some of these places then be sure to adhere. I would pack a navy suit as suggested. Very versatile.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 08:28 AM   #36
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I use a black suit for dressy occasions. Otherwise, Gucci loafers, jeans, and sports jacket or blazer.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 11:46 AM   #37
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
This says it all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (12.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 2 September 2016, 01:41 PM   #38
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Wardrobe advice for Fancy European Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I think the point he was trying to get across is the convention of sacrificing a degree of his own comfort to put others at ease is lost on him.

I am a member of this camp myself and refuse to be another "service or amenity" that raises an establishments profile in the eyes of you and yours.

Not that i don't mind occasionally dressing up, when the moment strikes.

Life is about variety! Try to be a bit more open minded?

There's a difference between dressing casually and dressing like "crap" as he put it. It wasn't until he responded that it was made clear he was casual.

My post and my position isn't rigid and I certainly don't need to be open minded. I have no issues with dressing casual. I do it all the time. I'm typically in a v-neck tshirt with jeans and loafers or sneakers. The outfit might cost more than most suits but that doesn't mean I wear it to a 3 star Michelin restaurant.

If someone wants to dress like a slob just to spite the the establishment, that's their choice but I don't really understand the point.

Old 2 September 2016, 04:42 PM   #39
Beefstockcube
"TRF" Member

If you are American it'll be difficult to get 'the look' buying at home unless you stick to European brands. Better advice would be to leave a bit of space and use half of your first day shopping - especially if Italy is your first stop. There will be several mens wear stores on every street. Europe is still not in a great place so it's cheap and you'll feel and look like a local for the whole trip.

Beefstockcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 12:36 AM   #40
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstockcube View Post
If you are American it'll be difficult to get 'the look' buying at home unless you stick to European brands. Better advice would be to leave a bit of space and use half of your first day shopping - especially if Italy is your first stop. There will be several mens wear stores on every street. Europe is still not in a great place so it's cheap and you'll feel and look like a local for the whole trip.

Yeah, my wife is bringing an empty suitcase.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 03:50 AM   #41
smak
Banned

Quote:
There's a difference between dressing casually and dressing like "crap" as he put it. It wasn't until he responded that it was made clear he was casual.

My post and my position isn't rigid and I certainly don't need to be open minded. I have no issues with dressing casual. I do it all the time. I'm typically in a v-neck tshirt with jeans and loafers or sneakers. The outfit might cost more than most suits but that doesn't mean I wear it to a 3 star Michelin restaurant.

If someone wants to dress like a slob just to spite the the establishment, that's their choice but I don't really understand the point.

"slob" and "like crap" are your own flagrant interpretations. I think most read the original post in the nature it was intended.

spiting establishment isn't done with jeans and a t.. heh.. its done with liberty spikes and various piercings or other permeating accessories. but i suppose there are varying degrees depending on life experience or exposure.

have a nice weekend :)
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 03:51 AM   #42
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Hey All:

I am going to Italy, Austria and Germany next summer and will be staying in a higher level of hotels than I usually do, generally 4 and 5 star, and dining in a couple of Michelin starred restaurants.

I have always felt under dressed at fancier places in the past in my travel-oriented clothing and wondered what you guys, especially our European members, would wear in similar situations.

1. Dinner Jacket or nice (cashmere) sweater?

2. High end black jeans or poplin chinos??

3. Chukka boots (Crockett & Jones Brecon) or fancy leather sneakers (Ferragamo or Mephisto) for dinner and general wear?

We are NOT traveling light on this trip (due to biking and hiking gear needed) and I am tired of looking like I only shop at REI when going out at night.

Thanks All.
tshirt like mark zuckerberg.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 04:44 AM   #43
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"slob" and "like crap" are your own flagrant interpretations. I think most read the original post in the nature it was intended.

spiting establishment isn't done with jeans and a t.. heh.. its done with liberty spikes and various piercings or other permeating accessories. but i suppose there are varying degrees depending on life experience or exposure.

I'm with you. Dress comfortably but appropriately when you're on vacation.
The folks dressed to the nines are usually either serving me coffee or valet parking my car.

Some get it, some don't.
Live and let live.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 05:35 AM   #44
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:

Flagrant interpretation? Assuming the poster didn't mean crap in a literal sense, the only other meaning of crap is to describe something of extremely poor quality.

To you, various piercings or other permeating accessories may be the signs of spite while others may just consider them of poor taste. Intentionally dressing down because they are paying is an example of spite.

Anyway, I do agree that there are varying degrees depending on life experience or exposure.
Old 3 September 2016, 07:41 AM   #45
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Wardrobe advice for Fancy European Hotel

Travel Smith and Exofficio have some great sport coats and slacks as well as a lot of other good travel clothing.

I dress casual on vacation. If you are attending an event where a jacket is necessary that doesn't mean a suit. Slacks, dress shoes and sport coat would be my recommendation. Travel Safe & Enjoy the Trip!

http://www.travelsmith.com/collectio...avelcollection

https://www.exofficio.com/products/mens?all=1000

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 07:44 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I'm with you. Dress comfortably but appropriately when you're on vacation.
The folks dressed to the nines are usually either serving me coffee or valet parking my car.
Some get it, some don't.
Live and let live.
Strange duality ain't it?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 11:45 AM   #47
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I went to high end everything in Geneva recently and brought a suit and a blazer. You'd be fine with a blazer, dress shirt, and khakis for most spots. Tie is optional, I like ties so I wore them.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 01:48 PM   #48
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I went to high end everything in Geneva recently and brought a suit and a blazer. You'd be fine with a blazer, dress shirt, and khakis for most spots. Tie is optional, I like ties so I wore them.
Thanks for the report.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 05:45 PM   #49
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I wouldn't worry about it. Since it's summer, shorts and a polo shirt will do fine in most situations.

Just don't use tanks tops. Not really "in" in Europe.

Fancy restaurant, Michelin... I wouldn't go with shorts, I'd put a pair of "summer" pants on, say khaki type with a bit of pastel color.

Bottom line (also in Europe) you are the customer and you should dress as you feel comfortable. There will always be snobby waiters, just ignore.
Old 4 September 2016, 07:14 AM   #50
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Wear the attire that would be acceptable in your own country for each occasion, no need to buy European fashions. American standards are as demanding as their European cousins (if not more so). Just enjoy the occasion.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:09 AM   #51
christianj
Banned

I travel to Europe frequently for both work and pleasure and usually stay at the type of hotels you mention. If the hotel is in a tourist/resort/beach destination the dress code and what guests wear is generally much more casual. In business cities a nice pair of fitted jeans, a dress shirt or a nice polo and a good pair of leather shoes is fine if your going out for an informal dinner. If it's a business dinner I do usually throw on a nice jacket but I rarely wear a tie. I have to disagree on the "no sneakers" comments. Today there are nice leather sneakers (mid-price from a company like To Boot New York or high-end from Ferragamo or Tom Ford) that are nicer than what some people wear as dress shoes and those types of sneakers can look just as good with a pair of pants, dress shirt and a jacket. I would NEVER suggest wearing a pair of traditional workout type sneakers anywhere other than to work out in Europe. White sneakers scream "tourist" unless they are a pair of Stan Smiths.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:05 PM   #52
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I love (the original) Stan smith. I've been wearing them off and on since the mid 80's. I'm wearing Rod Laver this year because I can't find/justify the old "cardboard tongue" stans. What they pass off as stans these days are not the same.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 09:44 PM   #53
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I think you've got good advice here. One thing I'll mention is to be sure the clothes you buy are tailored very well. It one thing to buy nice clothes but if they don't fit correctly you will still come off looking like a lazy american but with a few bucks in your pocket. Buy quality and spend the difference between that and "expensive"on tailoring. Or, better yet, get custom made if you can... Your trip is In a year so you've got time. There's a clothing company called Balani in several places in the US. Custom made shirts to suits, very reasonably priced and seem like high quality, they pay attention to the details. I'm sure there are other brands but I just discovered them in the past year and been very happy with their clothes.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:09 PM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
How come you're not asking what kind of underwear are accepted in Europe?
Have to agree I find this type of thread quite amusing,as I am sure as long as you are tidily dressed. The hotel or whether a 2 star 3 star or 9 star Michelin restaurant will quite happy to take your money whether casual or even over dressed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote