The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 September 2016, 11:51 PM   #91
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
That's a flea market policy when you're unqualified to sell.
Been there a few times. Place is huge. Sunrise Blvd or close to it if I remember right.
Old 4 September 2016, 11:55 PM   #92
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Been there a few times. Place is huge. Sunrise Blvd or close to it if I remember right.
Yes
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 11:57 PM   #93
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I started to go there in 1981 and back then it was of course a lot smaller.

They were still showing movies at night after the flea market closed.
Old 5 September 2016, 12:25 AM   #94
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Google found this article on an LV suit against him. His responses in testimony are a bit looney.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/cri...420-story.html

Now that i know he's aiding in peddling knock offs I really don't like him. That's punishable by death around here.
Old 5 September 2016, 08:34 AM   #95
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

I was there in the mid - late 90's a handful of times. Had some nice deals there.
Old 5 September 2016, 01:22 PM   #96
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Is there some term that describes the level above 'first world problems' which this 'injustice' occupies? :D
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 02:52 PM   #97
skydriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Pepsi
Hell, he should just take one if his Ferrari's and plaster Porsche emblems all over it and send pictures to everyone.
skydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 03:02 PM   #98
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydriver View Post
Hell, he should just take one if his Ferrari's and plaster Porsche emblems all over it and send pictures to everyone.
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 03:39 PM   #99
Gus2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV HULK
There are many things you can do to make yourself "not qualified" in Ferrari's terms.

For example, have you ever seen the LaFerrari episode from Top Gear? Look it up in YouTube if you haven't but what the YouTube video doesn't show you is the conversation the hosts had after the test drive. The hosts compared the LaFerrari vs. the Porsche 918 Spyder vs. McLaren P1, and the question came up about putting the three cars around the track to see which one would win. The hosts then explained that Ferrari and McLaren had declined to allow their cars to go around the Top Gear track. McLaren eventually agreed but Ferrari did not, so the hosts discussed borrowing one from someone who owned one instead of waiting for Ferrari to lend them one. And to this Ferrari declared:

"that if any of those who just left £1 million at their gates in exchange for a LaFerrari would dare lend their car to Top Gear, they would throw them out of the inner circle and forbid them from buying any limited-production Ferrari ever again from the factory."

So that's one way to be "not qualified" even though you own 15 Ferrari's worth $100M.

Another example, I was in Poland back in April, I met a guy who owns a LaFerrari (amongst 8 other limited-production Ferrari models) and he was adamant about keeping his LaFerrari at 0 miles. He picked up the car on a trailer, took it home, and has never driven the car at all, he keeps it at home to show people, sort of like how ultra rich people can show a $1M painting.

He told me that Ferrari was putting pressure on him to do maintenance, rotate tires, etc. based on time (instead of mileage) and even threatened to void his warranty since he refused to move the car. He told Ferrari to go ahead and void it if they wanted but he wasn't moving it.

Then Ferrari threatened with removing him from the Inner Circle, and back in April he was trying to find a way to stay in the circle without moving the car.

Crazy right?

By the way, his main daily driver (in case you were wondering) is a Pagani Huayra. Yeah, I want to have these kinds of "problems" some day too.

So, there are many ways to get thrown out of the Inner Circle, I think that the number of cars and the models that you own certainly would make it more difficult to get thrown out, but once you are out (like this idiot somehow before the lawsuit - or for sure now with the lawsuit - did), it doesn't matter who you are...the allocation is small, and there are many many more people with money willing to take your place.

I do love Ferrari but I do think that unless this guy did something to get himself kicked out of the circle, they could've handled the situation a little bit differently.

For example, I think the dealership could've been a part of the snafu. Maybe the dealership did not submit the guy's application on time and all cars were sold. I got that vibe from reading the article, so I think it's possible. Also, it is possible that the guy submitted his application too late. News come out in Italian time and by the time you wake up in Florida there is a chance that a bunch of qualified rich guys in Europe and the Middle East already got the upper hand on you.

I think Ferrari could've come in and tell this dude that they value his business and will automatically add him to the wait list for the next ridiculous beast that comes out of Maranello, or something along those lines.

He's for sure not getting back on that Inner Circle though but at his age maybe he doesn't care anymore.
Gus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:20 PM   #100
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus2 View Post
There are many things you can do to make yourself "not qualified" in Ferrari's terms.

For example, have you ever seen the LaFerrari episode from Top Gear? Look it up in YouTube if you haven't but what the YouTube video doesn't show you is the conversation the hosts had after the test drive. The hosts compared the LaFerrari vs. the Porsche 918 Spyder vs. McLaren P1, and the question came up about putting the three cars around the track to see which one would win. The hosts then explained that Ferrari and McLaren had declined to allow their cars to go around the Top Gear track. McLaren eventually agreed but Ferrari did not, so the hosts discussed borrowing one from someone who owned one instead of waiting for Ferrari to lend them one. And to this Ferrari declared:

"that if any of those who just left £1 million at their gates in exchange for a LaFerrari would dare lend their car to Top Gear, they would throw them out of the inner circle and forbid them from buying any limited-production Ferrari ever again from the factory."

So that's one way to be "not qualified" even though you own 15 Ferrari's worth $100M.

Another example, I was in Poland back in April, I met a guy who owns a LaFerrari (amongst 8 other limited-production Ferrari models) and he was adamant about keeping his LaFerrari at 0 miles. He picked up the car on a trailer, took it home, and has never driven the car at all, he keeps it at home to show people, sort of like how ultra rich people can show a $1M painting.

He told me that Ferrari was putting pressure on him to do maintenance, rotate tires, etc. based on time (instead of mileage) and even threatened to void his warranty since he refused to move the car. He told Ferrari to go ahead and void it if they wanted but he wasn't moving it.

Then Ferrari threatened with removing him from the Inner Circle, and back in April he was trying to find a way to stay in the circle without moving the car.

Crazy right?

By the way, his main daily driver (in case you were wondering) is a Pagani Huayra. Yeah, I want to have these kinds of "problems" some day too.

So, there are many ways to get thrown out of the Inner Circle, I think that the number of cars and the models that you own certainly would make it more difficult to get thrown out, but once you are out (like this idiot somehow before the lawsuit - or for sure now with the lawsuit - did), it doesn't matter who you are...the allocation is small, and there are many many more people with money willing to take your place.

I do love Ferrari but I do think that unless this guy did something to get himself kicked out of the circle, they could've handled the situation a little bit differently.

For example, I think the dealership could've been a part of the snafu. Maybe the dealership did not submit the guy's application on time and all cars were sold. I got that vibe from reading the article, so I think it's possible. Also, it is possible that the guy submitted his application too late. News come out in Italian time and by the time you wake up in Florida there is a chance that a bunch of qualified rich guys in Europe and the Middle East already got the upper hand on you.

I think Ferrari could've come in and tell this dude that they value his business and will automatically add him to the wait list for the next ridiculous beast that comes out of Maranello, or something along those lines.

He's for sure not getting back on that Inner Circle though but at his age maybe he doesn't care anymore.
Well "this Guy" isn't all too special. There's probably a couple of thousand other "guys" that got left out aswell, but they took it like grown-ups.
Old 6 September 2016, 06:05 AM   #101
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
wow, he proved Ferrari right. A lawsuit for not making the cut is very petty.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 08:58 AM   #102
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Dude sounds like a nut.
He should fly over to Ferrari HQ and give them hell. He has a G650, he can be wherever he wants at any given second and get tased in Italy too.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 07:39 PM   #103
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
If he was a real man he would be like the dude in China who took a sledgehammer to his S Class Merc. That would piss Ferrari off more when it went viral than a lawsuit he won't win.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 06:02 AM   #104
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I think Ferrari is just as much in the wrong as Henn. He currently has a LaFerrari so he was able to qualify then. Ferrari is just picking and choosing who they want to sell cars to. If there is that much demand from qualified buyers then why not make it a lottery? And I'm not condoning Henn's actions, a lawsuit is bush league but I can understand why he is frustrated.
Old 7 September 2016, 06:12 AM   #105
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
When you tell the rich no they get pissed.

He's just mad because he's not in control and this time his money won't buy him what he wants.

After this tantrum he will probably want to think about another brand to pursue--god help them.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 06:15 AM   #106
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
good for ferrari.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:42 AM   #107
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
In the opinion of anyone who knows about such things, would this car be as valuable or desirable if there were 'x' more examples, or is the extreme rarity what drives the demand and sets the price?

It seems like they are leaving a bunch of money on the table, perhaps a couple hundred million, if they were to sell 200 more cars.
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:52 AM   #108
NavitimerNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1500
1st world problems
NavitimerNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:52 AM   #109
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowdog View Post
In the opinion of anyone who knows about such things, would this car be as valuable or desirable if there were 'x' more examples, or is the extreme rarity what drives the demand and sets the price?

It seems like they are leaving a bunch of money on the table, perhaps a couple hundred million, if they were to sell 200 more cars.

I think the exclusivity and hype around the 12 Cylinder Ferrari vehicles like this La Ferrari drives up desire. People in that tax bracket (able to qualify) typically have it all already. The "regular" models are more common, almost a dime a dozen in some areas. Being one of only 150 people able to get this vehicle directly from the manufacturer does mean a lot.

Part of the experience is you'll fly out to Italy and pick out a few options (that happened for the Enzo I believe). Marginal cost aside, it's worth it for Ferrari (Fiat more accurately) to keep this segment of the market exclusive with low production. If they don't somebody else will pretty much. That's my take on things anyway.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:28 AM   #110
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
I think Ferrari is just as much in the wrong as Henn. He currently has a LaFerrari so he was able to qualify then. Ferrari is just picking and choosing who they want to sell cars to. If there is that much demand from qualified buyers then why not make it a lottery? And I'm not condoning Henn's actions, a lawsuit is bush league but I can understand why he is frustrated.
As another member suggested, since he was able to buy the hard top, perhaps Ferrari deemed him unqualified in order to give other Ferrari customers the opportunity to buy this time around. I imagine those buyers also felt shafted at some point but had the class and common sense NOT to sue Ferrari over a bruised ego
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:29 AM   #111
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Any judge worth his salt will boot this one out on Summary Judgement. If I'm Ferrari, I say, this is a limited edition and all cars are spoken for. Case closed, end of story.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 07:36 AM   #112
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I am just furious that Ferrari didn't invite me to buy their $17M car. How insulting. I should ring Mr. Henn up and enjoin a class action suit against these insensitive thugs. The nerve!
Can we call Morgan & Morgan...

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 12:00 PM   #113
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
If he was a real man he would be like the dude in China who took a sledgehammer to his S Class Merc. That would piss Ferrari off more when it went viral than a lawsuit he won't win.
Or buy a 918 and a P1 then spend millions holding testing sessions proving the others to be more competent vehicles

Start his auto rag
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 05:30 PM   #114
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
Can we call Morgan & Morgan...
Better yet, Cohen & Cohen.
Old 8 September 2016, 11:07 PM   #115
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

they still do. its about 10 miles from me.

and he has about 20 of his cars there on site that you can take a look at.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 11:07 PM   #116
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
thats correct. sunrise right in between the turnpike and I-95.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote