The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
zly512
"TRF" Member

What happened to the ultra thin PC (RD2)

AP launched the ultra thin PC prototype 'RD2' on 2018 SIHH. No updates on this year's SIHH though...

Anyone gives some thoughts about this watch???

zly512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 07:17 AM   #2
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

During a recent podcast interview with Hodinkee, François-Henry Bennahmias (CEO of Audemars Piguet) noted that the #RD2 would be launched to consumers as a 100 piece IP variant in 2019.

Understandably, relatively few details on the movement have been released to date, but it is clearly a fascinating achievement. Personally, I am hopeful that the dial design might be refined a little for the released variant.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 07:35 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Good question. Another example of them seemingly dropping the ball. You’d think they were some startup the way they miscommunicate product offerings and rollouts.

It always seems like they just aren’t ready for SIHH and people were scrambling last minute to throw something together regardless of whether or not they can deliver them in time.

Frankly a departure from the SIHH formula will probably do them some good so they can take more time to prepare for releases.
Old 6 March 2019, 07:50 AM   #4
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Good question. Another example of them seemingly dropping the ball. You’d think they were some startup the way they miscommunicate product offerings and rollouts.

It always seems like they just aren’t ready for SIHH and people were scrambling last minute to throw something together regardless of whether or not they can deliver them in time.

Frankly a departure from the SIHH formula will probably do them some good so they can take more time to prepare for releases.
With respect, as I understand from the company’s public statements they intended not only to release products at SIHH in 2019, as they did, but to continue to do so throughout the year and to have those launches readily available after their introduction.
Old 6 March 2019, 08:28 AM   #5
ragsk
Banned

Yep I have been thinking about the RD2 for a while. Have also clearly mentioned to AP that I would like to buy one. But its radio silence from them......
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 09:12 AM   #6
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard that rhe RD2 will be released later mid-year. It will have Ti/Pt case/bracelet and will probably be priced at around $150k, which is not surprising I suppose.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 10:40 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
With respect, as I understand from the company’s public statements they intended not only to release products at SIHH in 2019, as they did, but to continue to do so throughout the year and to have those launches readily available after their introduction.
Interesting, thanks for the info I had not heard.
Old 6 March 2019, 11:19 AM   #8
zly512
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing all the information! I am currently waiting for my 26574 to come, after seeing the RD2, I am completely overwhelmed by its ultra thin design(also the potential price too). Anyone giving suggestions regarding to the purchase of the normal PC ? Should I go for the current PC or wait for the RD2 because most likely I will only be getting one PC from AP (don’t see the point of getting two with very similar design) before I move onto getting a minute repeater watch.
Old 6 March 2019, 05:33 PM   #9
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zly512 View Post
Thanks for sharing all the information! I am currently waiting for my 26574 to come, after seeing the RD2, I am completely overwhelmed by its ultra thin design(also the potential price too). Anyone giving suggestions regarding to the purchase of the normal PC ? Should I go for the current PC or wait for the RD2 because most likely I will only be getting one PC from AP (don’t see the point of getting two with very similar design) before I move onto getting a minute repeater watch.
Very few people have had the opportunity to see, let alone try, the #RD2 - and I am not amongst them. It is a monumental achievement of watchmaking savoir fair and owning the first iteration of this technological leap would be very special. - whilst I am sure that it will come at a significant cost and notable premium to the manufacture’s existing perpetual calendar. The 26574 is a wonderful piece; it’s movement is historically-linked to the caliber 2120, carries the Audemars Piguet introduced week indicator and a more elegant dial execution that the #RD2 (though perhaps that will be refined prior to release).

With all of that said, it sounds like you might be in a position to consider a Grande Complication from Audemars Piguet, which whilst being a single piece would be something truly special to own and enjoy.
Old 6 March 2019, 07:49 PM   #10
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I am sure it's still on the table. Maybe their forecast this year goes to releasing the Code 11.59
Old 6 March 2019, 09:09 PM   #11
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zly512 View Post
I've thought about these questions myself as I ponder getting the 26574. But once I found out the likely price of the RD2, I realized that the RD2 movement will probably not be found in a watch in my realistic price range anytime soon, so it's really a moot point for me. If you have the budget, you might want to wait a few more months till the RD2 is released and see if you can get one. My understanding is that it will be a fairly limited release, so it could be tough to get one this year if you don't already have a good relationship with a boutique. The 26574 should not be tough to get later on if you don't end up getting the RD2.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 12:57 AM   #12
zly512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very few people have had the opportunity to see, let alone try, the #RD2 - and I am not amongst them. It is a monumental achievement of watchmaking savoir fair and owning the first iteration of this technological leap would be very special. - whilst I am sure that it will come at a significant cost and notable premium to the manufacture’s existing perpetual calendar. The 26574 is a wonderful piece; it’s movement is historically-linked to the caliber 2120, carries the Audemars Piguet introduced week indicator and a more elegant dial execution that the #RD2 (though perhaps that will be refined prior to release).

With all of that said, it sounds like you might be in a position to consider a Grande Complication from Audemars Piguet, which whilst being a single piece would be something truly special to own and enjoy.
Thank you for sharing!

The grande complication 26552BC still has the older design dial which I don't fancy. The new moon face design on 26574 is the main reason for getting this watch. Also with its more robust steel case I shouldn't worry too much about damaging the delicate PC movement as I plan to wear it everyday.
Old 7 March 2019, 01:07 AM   #13
zly512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
I've thought about these questions myself as I ponder getting the 26574. But once I found out the likely price of the RD2, I realized that the RD2 movement will probably not be found in a watch in my realistic price range anytime soon, so it's really a moot point for me. If you have the budget, you might want to wait a few more months till the RD2 is released and see if you can get one. My understanding is that it will be a fairly limited release, so it could be tough to get one this year if you don't already have a good relationship with a boutique. The 26574 should not be tough to get later on if you don't end up getting the RD2.
Fair enough, I think I will still get the 26574st first because I do not have a single steel watch with a steel bracelet in my collection.I have been searching for the right one over a year

I will ask my boutique to put my name on the list (if there is one) for the RD2. The RD2 will definitely be a hard piece to get at its official release.
Old 13 March 2019, 04:19 PM   #14
neogump
"TRF" Member

Quote:
During a recent podcast interview with Hodinkee, François-Henry Bennahmias (CEO of Audemars Piguet) noted that the #RD2 would be launched to consumers as a 100 piece IP variant in 2019.

Understandably, relatively few details on the movement have been released to date, but it is clearly a fascinating achievement. Personally, I am hopeful that the dial design might be refined a little for the released variant.
I can verify this info too. Last month AP new regional manager came and had dinner with selected guests. I'm lucky as one of invited. Country manager confirm a IP version of RD#2 to be released around this Q2, no other info so far,later my sales at boutique confirm me new piece price is expected to be high as others mentioned in this thread already. I asked sales 26579ce and RD#2 IP opinion he hinted RD#2 will be rare than full ceramic which I expect to hear. I personally think IP is very good idea as majority part will be in steel and very wearable compares to 5740G. Sales also mentioned 2018 people gave feedback that full platinum is too heavy that maybe one of reason to have launch postponed. Come back to initial question 26574st is good to go IMO as it will be different price category as RD#2. And dial looks like 99% same. I would seriously consider RD#2 to be my next AP what do u guys think? Thanks.

通过我的 Mate RS 上的 Tapatalk发言
neogump is offline   Reply With Quote