The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 July 2019, 11:39 AM   #1
TwoSnap
"TRF" Member

1601 Question

Hi All - Looking to pick up my first Rolex, a birth-year 1601 black face SS/WG for about $4k. The jub bracelet has closed links and looks to be a Rolex replacement. Wanted to get a feeling for how important this is in the long-run...it's almost a 50 y/o watch and these things seem to stretch like crazy so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
TwoSnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's your watch, be happy with it.

I would expect a 50 year old Jubilee to be trashed.
Old 24 July 2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Hey! 50 year old jubilees rule the world!

:)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Its the best value in vintage Rolex
Just be sure to "buy" the seller to ensure everything is correct.
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Paul
"TRF" Member

For $4k ...

Hiya TwoSnap and welcome to this fine forum,

Exciting times buying your first Rolex. Enjoy the journey and may your Rolex be the first of many

My 2 cents on old DateJusts' , baggy jubilee bracelets, and where I see value just now, just my opinion of course so may or may not be of interest to you ....

Despite being one of my favourite Rolex references, I'm realistic that DateJusts are like buses, there's millions of 'em out there and if you miss one, another one is coming along in ten minutes. I'm also of the mind that some of the price tags we see on old DJs' are way off where I'd consider value to be.

I think some folk have forgotten that only a few short years ago old 1601s' and 1603s' ... on jubilees ... with a box .... were changing hands at around $1500. And yes, like everything with a Rolex logo, the value of DJs' has certainly jumped up in the past few years. But IMHO, with $4k to spend on a vintage DJ, I'd still be seeking out what I might consider to be nothing short of a splendid example. At that price point, I'd be wanting a perfect case on a well-preserved totally wearable, date and code correct bracelet, a perfect dial (preferably something interesting like a nice Sigma, a wide-boy or perhaps an uncommon ... but desirable ... colour). Anything much north of $4k I'd also be seeking box and papers, and perhaps even proof of a recent service.

And baggy jubilees, be careful, they just keep getting baggier and they are expensive to fix. Some light stretch might not be a problem but anything more than that drives a DJs' value right down for me. Remember too, when a baggy jubilee bracelet is serviced, they 'shrink' an alarming amount, sometimes adding the cost and hassle to source additional links, yip, it's never easy in Rolex restoration world.

I'm just thinking out loud really but I always encourage folk who are shopping for a 1601 or 1603 to invest some time on the eBay history page. In amongst all the 'Did not sell' and 'Relisted-over-and-over-again' auctions, a result of crazy unrealistic starting bids or Buy Now prices, you'll find auctions where the seller put their lovely old DJ up at a low reserve .... and you may be surprised how low some of them change hands for. No one wants to get skinned when they buy their first Rolex but if DateJusts are indeed selling at some of the prices tags we see, there's some serious skinning going on me-thinks
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 11:43 AM   #6
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Exciting times buying your first Rolex. Enjoy the journey and may your Rolex be the first of many
you'll find auctions where the seller put their lovely old DJ up at a low reserve .... and you may be surprised how low some of them change hands for. No one wants to get skinned when they buy their first Rolex but if DateJusts are indeed selling at some of the prices tags we see, there's some serious skinning going on me-thinks
What a great, and loving, amount of work went into this response! You're a good man, Sir!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 06:13 PM   #7
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

My 2 cents on old DateJusts' , baggy jubilee bracelets, and where I see value just now, just my opinion of course so may or may not be of interest to you ....

Despite being one of my favourite Rolex references, I'm realistic that DateJusts are like buses, there's millions of 'em out there and if you miss one, another one is coming along in ten minutes. I'm also of the mind that some of the price tags we see on old DJs' are way off where I'd consider value to be.

I think some folk have forgotten that only a few short years ago old 1601s' and 1603s' ... on jubilees ... with a box .... were changing hands at around $1500. And yes, like everything with a Rolex logo, the value of DJs' has certainly jumped up in the past few years. But IMHO, with $4k to spend on a vintage DJ, I'd still be seeking out what I might consider to be nothing short of a splendid example. At that price point, I'd be wanting a perfect case on a well-preserved totally wearable, date and code correct bracelet, a perfect dial (preferably something interesting like a nice Sigma, a wide-boy or perhaps an uncommon ... but desirable ... colour). Anything much north of $4k I'd also be seeking box and papers, and perhaps even proof of a recent service.

And baggy jubilees, be careful, they just keep getting baggier and they are expensive to fix. Some light stretch might not be a problem but anything more than that drives a DJs' value right down for me. Remember too, when a baggy jubilee bracelet is serviced, they 'shrink' an alarming amount, sometimes adding the cost and hassle to source additional links, yip, it's never easy in Rolex restoration world.

I'm just thinking out loud really but I always encourage folk who are shopping for a 1601 or 1603 to invest some time on the eBay history page. In amongst all the 'Did not sell' and 'Relisted-over-and-over-again' auctions, a result of crazy unrealistic starting bids or Buy Now prices, you'll find auctions where the seller put their lovely old DJ up at a low reserve .... and you may be surprised how low some of them change hands for. No one wants to get skinned when they buy their first Rolex but if DateJusts are indeed selling at some of the prices tags we see, there's some serious skinning going on me-thinks
Great answer. To add, I recently bought a stunning tt 1601 for the bracelet as it was an early solid-link jubilee (needed for another watch). But, it’s not going anywhere as it is such a great piece. This was below $3.5k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5198CE19-FAE0-43F4-A966-B087963B3F10.jpeg (181.6 KB, 118 views)
Old 28 July 2019, 08:23 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

1601 Question

I agree with Paul’s well-reasoned assessment above. Use all the tools available to find a 1601 from someone you can trust.

What are you going to want?

Well, it seems the birth year concept is top of your list. But 2nd behind that should be fair value for a 100% genuine piece.

The price you mentioned is a bit high for what is ostensibly a head only (the aftermarket bracelet is essentially going into the bin methinks). But if it was recently serviced by RSC, then you can be more certain the head is genuine inside and out.

That’s where finding a trustworthy seller is primary for your 1601.

Most out in the wild have likely been serviced independently. And inside could be a mish-mash of aftermarket parts. Even crowns and crystals have been duplicated by parts makers.

So your “first cost” could just be a down payment on thousands$$$ in repair/replacement costs.

If you shoot for a head-only deal, then you get the option of using less expensive straps for business, evening and even sporting wear. That may be your better choice to preserve capital. Later you can begin a search for a usable Jubilee or even an Oyster if you’re so inclined.

Welcome and good luck in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote