The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2019, 03:10 AM   #1
dauster
"TRF" Member

5270G pre-owned fair market price

My AD has a 5270G pre-owned from 2013 (but the model was introduced in 2011 I think) as part of their "estate sale collection" for $125k for sale. Apparently their is a little room in price maybe 5-10K or so. Looking at the prices on Chrono24 it's not a bad deal but also not great. The good thing is that this would go towards my purchase history and probably bump me up to the front row for all the SS PP (not sure if I would actually have the money to buy them after splurging on this one).

Any thoughts on 5270 first generation vs the current models (yes I prefer the salmon dial also...). It's definitely one of my favorite PP watches ...

Frankly, spending this kind of money will probably result in a divorce... so I am semi serious about buying it but I love the watch, price is ok but even more so I can buy pre-owned and it would bump me up THE LIST...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5270G.jpg (102.4 KB, 466 views)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 03:27 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Don't do it. I've seen these go for around $90k to $100k
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 03:28 AM   #3
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watchbox has one for under $100k

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/4081774.html
Old 10 September 2019, 03:45 AM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Watchbox has one for under $100k

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/4081774.html
OK, so $90k-100k is a "good price" then? Given the inflated market prices for a lot of watches, would you guys wait 6-12 months and see what happens... Frankly not in a rush...
Old 10 September 2019, 04:14 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The first generation has the brushed dial which was no all that popular. If you want a G I would seek out the 5270G-018 model. Not many were made and it is the last G. The soft white dial is so warm and stunning. The same dial can be seen with the "chin" which I believe is the 017. The chin throws the whole dial off balance but it may be the hot thing years from now. The original models usually sell about 100 to 105. The 018 is about 125.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 04:40 AM   #6
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The first generation has the brushed dial which was no all that popular. If you want a G I would seek out the 5270G-018 model. Not many were made and it is the last G. The soft white dial is so warm and stunning. The same dial can be seen with the "chin" which I believe is the 017. The chin throws the whole dial off balance but it may be the hot thing years from now. The original models usually sell about 100 to 105. The 018 is about 125.
Thanks that is very helpful. Maybe it's the language barrier but what is the "chin"? Read the same in a hodinkee article but frankly don't really get it.
Old 10 September 2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Thanks that is very helpful. Maybe it's the language barrier but what is the "chin"? Read the same in a hodinkee article but frankly don't really get it.

Chin version.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 04:52 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
The chin was a creative detail by PP to have the circular date wheel protrude the seconds circle at the bottom so the two would not overlap and both be readable. This resulted in a bump at the bottom. Normally the date wheel just touches the seconds register or covers it as with the 5970. The chin is the best for readability of the seconds at 27 to 33.The other 5270s partly overlap but everything is still readable, unlike the 5970s.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 04:55 AM   #9
ufboy73
Banned

Was this at Kern’s?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:06 AM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Don't do it. I've seen these go for around $90k to $100k

Agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For a watch in this price range, if you are buying pre-owned, always consider the condition. Does it look like it is in mint condition? Has it been serviced before and for a routine service or for repair. What kind of warranty is the seller offering and if there is a problem during that time, will the seller service it or will it be sent to Patek?

The 5270G-001 is a great watch and I have owned mine for several years, having purchased it new from an AD when it was still being produced.

As for others being sold on chrono24, always try to compare apples to apples if you can. If you are buying for investment purpose, get it at the best price. But if you want to wear the watch, you don't want to buy a watch that has been heavily polished and had previous damage, which you may never know if it has passed through the hands of several pre-owned watch dealers.

Best of luck in your decision
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:38 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For a used 2013 model I would want a helluva good price, don't think this is.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:53 AM   #13
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I really like the series one...I'd be a buyer at 90k
raclaims is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:26 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
Was this at Kern’s?
Yes... was there this weekend. Recently I have been browsing for watches there because I live close by but never actually bought a watch there... So it's not really my AD... Would be curious to know your experience there in terms of getting your hands on desirable SS Rolex as well as PP (feel free to PM me)... to me they seem like really nice people....
Old 10 September 2019, 06:27 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Chin version.

Ok now it's obvious thank you. Actually quite like the "chin"... must have been blind before or my Iphone screen is too small:)
Old 10 September 2019, 06:31 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
For a watch in this price range, if you are buying pre-owned, always consider the condition. Does it look like it is in mint condition? Has it been serviced before and for a routine service or for repair. What kind of warranty is the seller offering and if there is a problem during that time, will the seller service it or will it be sent to Patek?

The 5270G-001 is a great watch and I have owned mine for several years, having purchased it new from an AD when it was still being produced.

As for others being sold on chrono24, always try to compare apples to apples if you can. If you are buying for investment purpose, get it at the best price. But if you want to wear the watch, you don't want to buy a watch that has been heavily polished and had previous damage, which you may never know if it has passed through the hands of several pre-owned watch dealers.

Best of luck in your decision
thank you that's great advice. Looked to me in great condition and it has only been owned by one guy before and originally it also has been sold by the same AD. I must say the fact that it did not go through the hands of 50 different people makes me feel better about it. Apparently it has been serviced by Patek once but need to inquire more but all the other things you mentioned.
Old 10 September 2019, 06:34 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I really like the series one...I'd be a buyer at 90k
I think me too but doubt that they would let it go for 90k. Apparently seller swapped several watches for a minute repeater - I'm sure he needs every dollar possible now:)
Old 10 September 2019, 06:37 AM   #18
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am semi serious
I've noticed.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:39 AM   #19
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I've noticed.
????
Old 10 September 2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD has a 5270G pre-owned from 2013 (but the model was introduced in 2011 I think) as part of their "estate sale collection" for $125k for sale. Apparently their is a little room in price maybe 5-10K or so. Looking at the prices on Chrono24 it's not a bad deal but also not great. The good thing is that this would go towards my purchase history and probably bump me up to the front row for all the SS PP (not sure if I would actually have the money to buy them after splurging on this one).

Any thoughts on 5270 first generation vs the current models (yes I prefer the salmon dial also...). It's definitely one of my favorite PP watches ...

Frankly, spending this kind of money will probably result in a divorce... so I am semi serious about buying it but I love the watch, price is ok but even more so I can buy pre-owned and it would bump me up THE LIST...
I think the purchase of a 5270 would indeed move you up the list. What are you eying?
Old 10 September 2019, 08:04 AM   #21
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
I’ve seen at greys listed for 98

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tiberiustime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 08:15 AM   #22
mzcloud
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270P
For me, I would for the 5270P if you can find an used one. Platinum versions are always made in less quantities and the salmon dial is sooo beautiful. There have been few G versions with minor difference. I would only buy an used G if it’s at a superb deal, otherwise why save a few bucks for the increased risk.
mzcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 08:48 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the purchase of a 5270 would indeed move you up the list. What are you eying?
5164A or 5168G would be my ideal "everyday" PP - I like nautilus but the only one I truly want I wont get...5726A ... looks like the affordable brother of the 5740 to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcloud View Post
For me, I would for the 5270P if you can find an used one. Platinum versions are always made in less quantities and the salmon dial is sooo beautiful. There have been few G versions with minor difference. I would only buy an used G if it’s at a superb deal, otherwise why save a few bucks for the increased risk.
Indeed, I would prefer the salmon dial but I don't see it trading anywhere for like 100K - but if you find one please tell me. I don't have that much experience researching pre-owned online... also, in regards to getting it from AD - 5270P is an application piece and 5270A apparently wasn't (when it was released), which makes it way harder and also not willing to pay retail - actually not able is the better wording...
Old 10 September 2019, 08:50 AM   #24
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
These are not moving well in the secondary market along with most dress style watches. You need to buy these REALLY well to protect agsinst this. Not that you are a flipper but like many WIS guys your desires can outpace how much money you put into your collection or you just get bored with certain watches. I had a 5979J for several years and wore it next to never and then got hurt on the trade out. So just be careful of that. Especially if you have your eye on SS models, that’s what you will most likely end up wearing so keep that in mind, I’m not saying pay grey prices for a SS now but maybe be patient and see if you can make progress on that front before spending 100k just to be able to pay 30-50k for a SS watch that you really want. Good luck!!!
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 09:40 AM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
These are not moving well in the secondary market along with most dress style watches. You need to buy these REALLY well to protect agsinst this. Not that you are a flipper but like many WIS guys your desires can outpace how much money you put into your collection or you just get bored with certain watches. I had a 5979J for several years and wore it next to never and then got hurt on the trade out. So just be careful of that. Especially if you have your eye on SS models, that’s what you will most likely end up wearing so keep that in mind, I’m not saying pay grey prices for a SS now but maybe be patient and see if you can make progress on that front before spending 100k just to be able to pay 30-50k for a SS watch that you really want. Good luck!!!
Very true and sound advice. Frankly, I had parked a monster purchase like a 5270 for later on in life, but this is truly one of my grail pieces and thought if I get it for a "good price" while also helping me to get a few SS - it's worth considering. but long story short I highly doubt the AD will sell it 25-30k less than offered right now. But thanks everyone for your responses - I learn a lot here...
Old 10 September 2019, 08:14 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
????
Don't act all innocent after you thread-crapped on his thread.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 03:48 AM   #27
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't act all innocent after you thread-crapped on his thread.
Ahhhhh my snarky comment... oh wellz...