The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 12 November 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Boadicea
Banned

Rolex Explorer 114270 2009 V serial

I'm sort of a new member (sort of in the way that I have recently registered) but have been reading the forums for a few years now. I just thought I would share my experience with my first Rolex.

I've had a love for watches for as long as I can remember but never really took it seriously until recently. Something about the mechanical precision involved in creating all those tiny moving parts and getting them all to fit together perfectly just fascinated me. My first experience with "Rolex" was in a few years ago in turkey where they sell countless fakes and to be honest, some of the high end fakes are pretty good. No, I didn't get one, but it sparked an interest in Rolex (and prestigious watches in general). When I got back from holiday, I started researching and finding out all I could about Rolex in general (thanks mostly to you guys here ;-).

Seeing all those fakes has some good points and some bad points. The main good points were that I was aware of fakes, aware or how good they can be, and how easy it is to be ripped off. The main bad points were that I was aware of fakes, aware or how good they can be, and of how easy it is to be ripped off... lol.. This reason alone is why I went directly to an authorised dealer by first checking that they were registered on the rolex.com site. I honestly didn't care if I paid the full RRP, I wanted a real one, no exceptions.

Ernest Jones London: I walked in, sat at the Rolex table and waited a good 5 minutes before anyone even realised I was there... not a good start in my books. Anyway, I knew what I wanted so I asked for it directly. They disarmed the alarms, opened the display, and place it on the table. I asked a few questions, such as the manufacture date, warrantee, service, etc, and overall the service was good but I got the feeling that the guy thought I wasn't serious until I said, "ok... I'll take it"..... Well,.. the service suddenly changed! Not good in my books either.... But anyway... Better late than never.

I've been looking at the Explorer 1 and 2, the SS Sub, Various Air Kings, and some datejusts and while all models are good in their own way, the Explorer 1 has been on my wish list since day one. Classic look, rugged build, and a great movement!

The Explorer: From the window, it looked just like any other watch. If there was a fake next to it, I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the moment I held it... Well, that changed things. Everything fits perfectly, the face is perfect, the hands, the clasp, everything just feel perfect. After unscrewing and winding, I could feel the quality was well beyond anything else.

I will not go into details about the watch itself as it's been said a few time here on the forums and it is also listed on the Rolex site. The main difference is that the inner ring now has the ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX engraving all round with serial number at the 6 position. I think the paperwork has changed too as there is no longer a certificate, but there is now a holographic card with serial numbers, Dealer, Date of sale, etc, on it. There is also no holographic sticker on the bottom of the watch itself anymore. They also take your details and send them to Rolex so they have matching details on their end.

All these changes kinda made me worried at first and I had to remind myself every now and again that I was at an Authorised Dealer. It's amazing what seeing a good fake can do to your trust.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the purchase but my wife has told me I'm not allowed to wear it till Christmas so It's burning a hole in the safe at the moment. I have the keys if I really wanted it now, but there is something to be said about wanting and looking forward to something. It sort of enhances the whole experience.

If you want pics, you'll have to wait too!
http://www.yourchristmascountdown.co.uk/

Regards,

Daniel
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 06:39 AM   #2
skyrider007

Watch: IWC Mark XVI
Congrats! That's the watch I've been eying on but I bought an IWC Mark XVI instead. may I ask how much did you pay for the watch? did you negotiate any discount?
skyrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Happy Harry
"TRF" Member

I have just made a purchase at Lesley Davis/E Jones

Bought tonight and love it !!! They will not give discount despite asking 3 times but will give 2 years 0 % They are very helpfull in MK and made me feel very special even though i first said i was not buying today ! After puting it on i loved it straight away and bought it !
Happy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Fofo

Watch: Explorer II
Congratulations on your Explorer, Daniel! A beautiful watch. You'll enjoy it and for a looong time (perhaps forever), a quick glance to your wrist will bring a smile to your face. I'm sure that the wait till Christmas will be a long one!
Fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
1HotBoss70

Watch: "V" GMT IIc
congrats
1HotBoss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:03 PM   #6
gelshocker

Congrats, excellent first Rolex choice. Low profile, HIGH quality. It's true that you only really appreciate the high craftsmanship, quality and attention to detail when you hold it in your hands.

Cheers,

gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:06 PM   #7
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Love it!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 02:33 PM   #8
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Gotta love that Explorer I! Congrats!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 12:50 PM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great post. The Explorer 1 is one of my favorite Rolexes.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 10:33 PM   #10
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
The Explorer is a classic. Enjoy it.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:18 PM   #11
Boadicea
Banned

I havent had time to snap some pics yet but I opened it up, set it and have had it running since Christmas day and I have to say that the accuracy is amazing so far. I have gained +2 in the last 4/5 days! That is like +.5 per day!

The down side is that on day 3 a really small speck of dust/metal (almost microscopic) has settled on the underside of the glass just off the middle. I can barely see it and need to look in bright daylight to find it but I know it is there so it annoys me a bit. I've decided to leave it there but will have it removed if any more show up and who knows, perhaps it will move on its own one day?

Either way, I am really happy with it!
Old 8 January 2010, 09:13 AM   #12
Boadicea
Banned

Finally got round to snapping off some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (98.5 KB, 2667 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (102.3 KB, 2658 views)
Old 23 January 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea View Post
The down side is that on day 3 a really small speck of dust/metal (almost microscopic) has settled on the underside of the glass just off the middle. I can barely see it and need to look in bright daylight to find it but I know it is there so it annoys me a bit. I've decided to leave it there but will have it removed if any more show up and who knows, perhaps it will move on its own one day?
After the first particle, another 2 very small ones showed up. They were extremely small and did not bother me at all but I figured that 3 bits of dust was now worth taking it in for. Seeing as I was in london for the day, I decided to pop in to the Rolex head office to have the dust removed. It took 20 minutes in total.

Lets just hope they got it ALL out...
Old 23 January 2010, 04:16 AM   #14
Jeepwatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Great choice! I think you'll like it!
Jeepwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 04:48 AM   #15
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congratz!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 06:15 AM   #16
Yoreese

Watch: 114270 Explorer
Nice!
Yoreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 04:01 AM   #17
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Superb watch, perhaps a bit underrated amongst big guns like Sub Dates, Seadwellers and GMTIIs. It is the watch that I find comes closest to what I reckon is the 'classic' Rolex. And put on a carbon strap it's just something special!
Old 25 January 2010, 04:50 AM   #18
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Superb watch, perhaps a bit underrated amongst big guns like Sub Dates, Seadwellers and GMTIIs. It is the watch that I find comes closest to what I reckon is the 'classic' Rolex. And put on a carbon strap it's just something special!
I agree Frans.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 05:12 AM   #19
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
I agree Frans.
Excellent!
Old 25 January 2010, 05:19 AM   #20
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Love the style of the Explorer 1 for its clean lines and clssic looks. My only gripe that stops me from getting one is 1) I wish they did a 40mm+ model and 2) They made a white faced one. Nice watch you have though.!
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 06:16 AM   #21
Yoreese

Watch: 114270 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
Love the style of the Explorer 1 for its clean lines and clssic looks. My only gripe that stops me from getting one is 1) I wish they did a 40mm+ model and 2) They made a white faced one. Nice watch you have though.!
Guess you need to look at Explorer II.
Yoreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 06:18 AM   #22
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoreese View Post
Guess you need to look at Explorer II.
I know what you mean that is a completely different watch. I like the Explorer I better
Old 25 January 2010, 11:39 PM   #23
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I really like the size. 36mm to me is the perfect balance for every day use. I tried on a Sub while purchasing my DJ but it just felt bulky and I couldnt imagine something that big on my wrist all day. While I still love the Sub, I was only considering it for its ability to be instantly recognised when I needed it to be (ie: formal occasions). Instead, I settled for a SS+WG DJ with diamond markers. Instant recognition and still comfortable. This is not to say that the Explorer doesnt go well with a suit, it goes very well! I just wanted something a little more flashy for special occasions.

When understated style and super rugged build are a priority, the Explorer is the top choice. No rotating bezel to get crap into or scratch up, no date to complicate the movement, no gold to scratch and dent, no super bling to get you mugged while out and about, no super size to annoy you while hiking on a hot summer day.

A PERFECT every day watch in my opinion.
Old 28 July 2010, 10:11 PM   #24
Boadicea
Banned

Just thought I would uptate this as I have had it on for over 6 months now. Besides the occasional DJ weekend and a trip to South Africa, It has never left my wrist. It has been around Europe twice and Jet Skiing in the Med. Now that I look back, I really wish I had taken it with me to South Africa.

It is still a solid -1 second and has no real battle scars to speak of. A few fine scratches here and there and from what I can tell, I seem to get more damage at my desk (even while trying this I am trying to keep my sleeves over the clasp). All in all, it has held up well so far and I am still very happy with it. I do sometimes find myself wishing I had got a Sub instead but then I remember how much I wanted this exact model at the time and the urge goes away. Funny thing tho, I went to get a Sub in January and that is how I ended up with the DJ at nearly twice the price... I may want a Sub, but I obviously don't like it... I should just trust my instincts.

I'll post again after about 1 year with pictures.
Old 28 July 2010, 11:07 PM   #25
ac001
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Love your Explorer. Really like the understated look of the Explorer and its' history. The understatement is the same reason I went w/a non-COSC, ND sub (which I purchased last week here at TRF). I like the uncluttered dial. I was at my AD over the weekend to drop off my Breitling for service and we discussed the new Explorer. He is going to call me when it comes in. I like the size of the current model as I have a small wrist. But the Sub is comfortable for me and my Breitling is smaller, but heavier and fits well. We will see.
ac001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2010, 03:14 AM   #26
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
I agree Frans.
I might just get a leather band for my Explorer. I have not been wearing it because I mostly wear my Sea-Dweller both are SS and I prefer the SD, but this makes it look like a completely different watch.

I like it. Can I get a Rolex band for it? Can anyone recommend a good brand?
Old 2 September 2010, 12:04 AM   #27
matthias.meiers
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.
matthias.meiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2010, 06:49 AM   #28
Boadicea
Banned

As much as I still love this watch, I just picked up a Daytona and the agreement with my wife was that I am only allowed 2 at any point so this one has to go. If anyone is interested (UK only), please get in touch!
Old 10 December 2010, 03:32 AM   #29
lancelf08

Thanks for the great review.
lancelf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2010, 06:17 AM   #30
gkordas
"TRF" Member

How much would you be willing to part with this Beauty for?

I am interested...
gkordas is offline   Reply With Quote