The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 December 2009, 03:48 AM   #1
AWS
"TRF" Member

Buying Through AD or TRF Member

As a new member to this forum I am trying to understand if there is any difference to buying from my AD or through one of the members on TRF. In buying a new watch through my AD the serial number is registered and given to Rolex for their records. If I ever need service done or it has to be sent back to Rolex for some reason there is no problem. Is that the same if I buy from one of those advertising on this forum that provide a registration in my name? Is there a potential problem if I ever need to send the watch in for service or replacement parts?

Thanks for the help!
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 05:03 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The main difference is you will get a far better price from one of our TRF members.And as for the warrany not many Rolex watches ever need anything done in the warranty period.And after that warranty period Rolex will quite happily take your money for service or parts if ever needed no matter where you bought the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 05:10 AM   #3
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
If I hadn't been the same owner of my watch as when it was serviced in 1995, I don't think they would have serviced me this time in NYC. They gave me the third degree and asked me a bunch of questions about its history. They said that because I had established prior service for that particular watch that it was further considered for service this time. It wasn't the only thing they considered, but without it, I don't think they would have given me service this last time.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
I love the piece of mind purchasing a watch with a warranty "Just in case".
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 05:47 AM   #5
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Agree you'll get a much better deal here (new or used) then in any AD.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 05:51 AM   #6
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
If I hadn't been the same owner of my watch as when it was serviced in 1995, I don't think they would have serviced me this time in NYC. They gave me the third degree and asked me a bunch of questions about its history. They said that because I had established prior service for that particular watch that it was further considered for service this time. It wasn't the only thing they considered, but without it, I don't think they would have given me service this last time.
Thats interesting. I bought my new Sub ND from an AD but Im looking at getting a DJII from a grey. Wonder if others have had a similar exp to yours?
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 06:00 AM   #7
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Thats interesting. I bought my new Sub ND from an AD but Im looking at getting a DJII from a grey. Wonder if others have had a similar exp to yours?
I don't know, but mine is the notorious Double Red Sea Dweller and the dial isn't in stock any longer so that played a role in their decision. Its also a very forged model so that played a role too. I imagine that for most modern models it's not a problem and they don't give the third degree, and thats IF you know that the watch is real. And the only other issue I can think of is that it might be stolen and when you send it in they not only keep it but they contact the police.
Old 1 December 2009, 06:05 AM   #8
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Thanks, that gives me some relief. Alot buy from non AD's and you dont hear of to many problems from Rolex in regards to service, I was just wondering if they changed their policy.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 06:23 AM   #9
DadsWatch72
Banned

I don't see why they would care (Rolex) if someone else owned the watch. They are still getting money for the service. They do realize that you bought a used Rolex and you didn't buy a new one because you decided to buy a used one. They are in the watch business and want to sell new watches, however, they should just be glad that their watches are commodities and they will still make money when they are serviced (IMO).
Old 1 December 2009, 06:28 AM   #10
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
I think its better on TRF...
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 06:34 AM   #11
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust1 View Post
I think its better on TRF...
I think its a trade off. Its both better and worse depending on which way you decide. More peace of mind from an AD, but cheaper from TRF or "gray dealers". If you can have both peace of mind and cheaper, thats great. I still think Rolex "snubs their nose" a little if you buy used.
Old 1 December 2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSIN View Post
As a new member to this forum I am trying to understand if there is any difference to buying from my AD or through one of the members on TRF. In buying a new watch through my AD the serial number is registered and given to Rolex for their records. If I ever need service done or it has to be sent back to Rolex for some reason there is no problem. Is that the same if I buy from one of those advertising on this forum that provide a registration in my name? Is there a potential problem if I ever need to send the watch in for service or replacement parts?

Thanks for the help!
Rolex will have no record of your name with a serial no.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Naples09
"TRF" Member

If you have a relationship with an AD you might be able to get close to what the TRF guys are selling a watch for depending on the model. My watch from the AD was only $50 higher out the door than a quoted price from TRF sellers.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 07:21 AM   #14
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I have been debating the same for some time. Have choosen to go the AD route because I have a great relationship with my AD and its payed off in the past in regards to service and extra's. I know that a time will come that I will need to have this watch serviced, adusted, polished etc..and that I will be treated like a king as always.
To me its worth the extra cash..The grey market prices are not that much cheaper anyhow. If I were going to buy used then I would go grey...
Too bad most of the sellers here are in the states. I would not order a watch from the states because of the customs issues in getting it here to holland. Otherwise I would have already owned atleast one DJ already..
pete
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 07:25 AM   #15
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: 1655 EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSIN View Post
In buying a new watch through my AD the serial number is registered and given to Rolex for their records.
Not True.

The Serial is registered when it is shipped from Rolex USA to the AD. Who it goes to when it is sold Rolex USA does not have any records.

Your AD may keep a record to cover themselves if ever needed..

Regards
DavidSW
DAVIDSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 07:34 AM   #16
Kemper Boyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 V-series
Got my BNIB 16610 from a TRF seller with my name on warranty card, all the trimmings at a significant discount, which probably would have taken me at least 2-3 weeks of negotiation and carbon emissions back and forth between my local AD and another AD or two...

Just check the ads in the classifieds for what you get...most are self explanatory...
Kemper Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Kemper Boyd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDSW View Post
Not True.

The Serial is registered when it is shipped from Rolex USA to the AD. Who it goes to when it is sold Rolex USA does not have any records.

Your AD may keep a recored to cover themselves if ever needed..

Regards
DavidSW

Mickey speaks the truth
Old 1 December 2009, 08:19 AM   #18
mb hawaii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 /126715CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesjag View Post
...The grey market prices are not that much cheaper anyhow.
Well that depends on one's definition of not much cheaper. With the exception of a SS Daytona, you can expect typical discount of 10% (up to 20%) from an AD. From a grey dealer typical discount of 25% (up to 30%). For me that's quite a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDSW View Post
Not True.

Your AD may keep a record to cover themselves if ever needed..

Regards
DavidSW
Yup, I even tried calling Rolex and asked if they can put my name in their database and they said they don't do that. They told me my warranty card is my proof of ownership.
mb hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Leasky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118238 YG DD.
I would happily buy all my watches from TRF but the Import tax into the UK from America is crippling; so much so, that it simply isnt worth it unless the deal is very, very good indeed.

Even then there is the risk of UK Customs charging the Tax on the current UK value of the watch in GBP and not the value paid for the watch from the seller.

IMHO, in answer to your question, Yes - go with TRF everytime providing the Tax isnt going to be a hurdle.
Leasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

It depends whether you like going to a high end jewellers, tying on different watches building a rapport being treated to make you feel a little special, being giving a drink having the watch fitted and leaving with peace of mind that the watch is 100% as should be, and if there is a problem (which there seems to be a few with the newer Rolex, like clasps breaking dials miss-printed just a couple of recent problems) being able to pop back easily or sitting at home on the computer and then waiting for the post?
Some prefer the latter scenario and some prefer the former.
Old 1 December 2009, 09:25 AM   #21
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

TRF will give you a good discount on the watch.. but most of the times no warranty.. an AD will give you peace of mind with the 2 year warranty or in-house warranty sometimes for older watches. You just have to balance which one is more important to you...
Old 1 December 2009, 09:32 AM   #22
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
I will definitely buy my next watch here on TRF!!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 10:20 AM   #23
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
If I'm ever in the position to buy a BNIB Rolex again, it will be from a seller here on TRF. The seller(mickey) may or may not have already posted in this thread.

My local AD will give me 20% off on any SS Sports model except a Daytona all day long and a bit more on TT and all gold.

Add 8.75% tax and you might as well say it's an 11% discount Plus, I realized how uninformed their 'Rolex Expert' is.

Another AD that is close by will give me 15% off and ship the watch out of state.

TRF sellers are better than that IMO
Old 1 December 2009, 12:32 PM   #24
Joe750

I know this is not the original question of the thread, but I'd like to throw this out there: What about eBay? I know, I know, all the fakes and scams, but if you found a real one at a good price, plus Bing's 10% off, no tax, and you are double protected through PayPal and Visa/Mastercard for fraud? I would CHOOSE to buy through TRF for my first, but there isn't always a black-face Milgauss listed..like this one, still with the bag from the AD!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-MILGAUSS-B...item1c0e45cd15
Joe750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 03:40 PM   #25
chenx15
"TRF" Member

trf ftw
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
So...... TRF=no warranty? But I've seen them say you get the card without the name.

I'm confused.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2009, 03:35 PM   #27
Kemper Boyd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
So...... TRF=no warranty? But I've seen them say you get the card without the name.

I'm confused.
depends on the TRF ad... most of the solid reliable sellers spell it out...for example, check out some BNIB DavidSW items...