The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2005, 04:22 AM   #1
donkey81
"TRF" Member

Which bezel for DJ jubilee?

How easy does the polished bezel on the datejust scratch? I'm trying to decide between getting the turned bezel or the polished bezel on a SS datejust with a silver stick face. I also prefer the jubilee band. Which bezel do you prefer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polished2.JPG (82.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg turned2.JPG (84.5 KB, 76 views)
donkey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 04:26 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi....err donkey....hey, I hate calling you 'donkey'. Could we please at least have your first name? Thanks. And a BIG welcome to this forum.

Both bezels look good. Frankly, the polished bezel does give the watch a more classy and dressy look, whereas the engine-turned bezel makes it look more rugged and sporty. Just my opinion, though. Go with the one that smiles more at you. And, yes, the polished bezel would be more prone to scratches.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 04:32 AM   #3
G Shearing

Hi. Well for me it's like saying of a beautiful woman I like your hair just a little over your eye.... she's still beautiful. Same with these.
The plain bezel accentuates the roman exterior index. The turned bezel just adds that extra charm to it. INMHO
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 04:35 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shearing
Hi. Well for me it's like saying of a beautiful woman I like your hair just a little over your eye.... she's still beautiful. Same with these.
The plain bezel accentuates the roman exterior index. The turned bezel just adds that extra charm to it. INMHO
Hey Eric,

You're a man after my own heart - a guy with a one track mind. LOL! I like your analogy with the fairer sex.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 August 2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey81
How easy does the polished bezel on the datejust scratch? I'm trying to decide between getting the turned bezel or the polished bezel on a SS datejust with a silver stick face. I also prefer the jubilee band. Which bezel do you prefer?
Hello and welcome. I prefer the plain bezel, similar to the one on my wife's TT DJ.

Donkey81 I hope you keep posting questions and don't worry about making an "ass" of yourself, we've all done it.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 04:42 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Hello and welcome. I prefer the plain bezel, similar to the one on my wife's TT DJ.

Donkey81 I hope you keep posting questions and don't worry about making an "ass" of yourself, we've all done it.
LOL! You just couldn't hold back, could you, you tosser!!

Old 24 August 2005, 04:43 AM   #7
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
LOL! You just couldn't hold back, could you, you tosser!!
I thought I'd get in first. It would be expected.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 04:46 AM   #8
Atomic

Let me try and reel this thread back on topic. LOL

Generally the school of thought on the DJ is this: If you have a jubilee bracelet, you go with the fluted or engine turned bezel. If you go with an oyster bracelet, you go with a smooth bezel.

But it's down to what you like best. Personally, I prefer the oyster with the smooth bezel.
Old 24 August 2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic

Generally the school of thought on the DJ is this: If you have a jubilee bracelet, you go with the fluted or engine turned bezel. If you go with an oyster bracelet, you go with a smooth bezel.

But it's down to what you like best. Personally, I prefer the oyster with the smooth bezel.
My thoughts exactly. For the jubilee, I like the engine turned bezel. Both look good though.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 06:43 AM   #10
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
My thoughts exactly. For the jubilee, I like the engine turned bezel. Both look good though.
Sam, I don't care what the other guys here say about you. You're obviously a man of great style and taste!
Old 24 August 2005, 06:56 AM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Sorry, but for my taste, fluted is the only way to go on a DJ or a DD. But that's JMHO.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 07:39 AM   #12
mamas
"TRF" Member

Agree with rockrolex.. fluted is what makes the datejust IMHO.. smooth just looks odd to my eye
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 07:41 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
Agree with rockrolex.. fluted is what makes the datejust IMHO.. smooth just looks odd to my eye
mamas
You guys do realise that the fluted bezel is solid WG which does push up the price substantially. The engine-turned bezel is SS as is the polished bezel.

Old 24 August 2005, 07:45 AM   #14
mamas
"TRF" Member

JJ.. sometimes its good to have some stealth bling
how much more does it puch the price up?
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 07:47 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
JJ.. sometimes its good to have some stealth bling
how much more does it puch the price up?
Not sure, but substantially considering the very little bling (and WG) you get in return!!

Old 24 August 2005, 07:51 AM   #16
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
How about a fluted bezel and a white dial with roman numerals? That is the answer to another question, I know, but that's what I like.

Frans.
Old 24 August 2005, 12:13 PM   #17
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
You guys do realise that the fluted bezel is solid WG which does push up the price substantially. The engine-turned bezel is SS as is the polished bezel.
Not so, JJ. On my TT DJs the bezels are both 18k YG.

and

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 12:55 PM   #18
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
Hi Donkey81 ---
Personally I like the Jubilee bracelet and IMHO that calls for the engine-turned bezel to balance out the watch.

Most guys here don't seem to care for the Jubilee. Go ahead and be a contrarian. It gets lonely for me once in a while. BTW I'm currently wearing a GMT-II with Oyster bracelet, go figure.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 01:13 PM   #19
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I prefer the fluted bezel with the Jubilee bracelet because the bezel's ridges complement the small links in the bracelet. Next to the bracelet, it just seems to me that the smooth bezel's missing something.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:45 PM   #20
molex
"TRF" Member

Pretty traditional here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey81
For me, I like the smooth bezel with the Oyster bracelet, the fluted bezel with the jubilee, and the engine turned bezel works with either IMO.
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 02:59 PM   #21
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Like most others here I think it depends on the bracelet. Although I tend to like the jubilee on the DJ with a fluted bezel.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 03:29 PM   #22
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:

Agreed. The only exception to this "rule" is the TOG which seems to look great on both bracelets. But no matter what one chooses they will get a great watch, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 08:40 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
IMHO the DJ looks good with either bezel bracelet combinations.But myself prefer
the oyster bracelet over the jubilee.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 10:53 PM   #24
donkey81
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the input...and the welcoming. I ended up deciding on the turned bezel, which I think looks awesome with the jubilee.

Jeff
donkey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2005, 12:17 AM   #25
Atomic

Quote:
Not sure, but substantially considering the very little bling (and WG) you get in return!!
JJ, you're right on the money re: the WG premium. An engine turned bezel on a jubilee equipped DJ lists for $6,170... while the SS is 'only' $5,230, so almost a grand more for about 20g of gold.

For me (assuming I wanted a DJ, which I don't as it does nothing for me) I'd prefer a SS on an oyster bracelet, smooth bezel, white dial with arabics. But that's me.

Last edited by Atomic; 25 August 2005 at 04:05 AM..
Old 25 August 2005, 04:32 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ, you're right on the money re: the WG premium. An engine turned bezel on a jubilee equipped DJ lists for $6,170... while the SS is 'only' $5,230, so almost a grand more for about 20g of gold.

For me (assuming I wanted a DJ, which I don't as it does nothing for me) I'd prefer a SS on an oyster bracelet, smooth bezel, white dial with arabics. But that's me.
Thanks for the price update, Johnny, but I'd like to clarify one thing.....an engine turned bezel is SS and is completely different in looks from the fluted bezel which, in fact, is the WG one. On the TT DJ, the fluted bezel is YG as Ed pointed out earlier.

Cheers - JJ

Old 25 August 2005, 05:06 AM   #27
Atomic

Why is a bald man splitting hairs?

You know what I meant.
Old 25 August 2005, 05:08 AM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Why is a bald man splitting hairs?

You know what I meant.
Hey, skyscraper, that was for everyone's benefit!!

Old 25 August 2005, 04:42 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All the TT and gold models make big bucks profit for a Rolex,now add a few
diamonds for the wow huge profit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote