The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 January 2010, 06:38 AM   #1
Adam100
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN & 116520
Rolex Submariner 16610 V-series

Hi and txn for an informative forum

I have a question to you all:

Do you think the v-serie of the Rolex Submariner 16610 will be that models final serie-letter? The new Submariner in steel with cheramic ring will come this year and will replace the 16610.

Maybe it will become a collectors item, what do you think? / Have a nice weekend.
Old 10 January 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam100 View Post

Do you think the v-serie of the Rolex Submariner 16610 will be that models final serie-letter? The new Submariner in steel with cheramic ring will come this year and will replace the 16610.

Maybe it will become a collectors item, what do you think? / Have a nice weekend.
Lots of Vs out there. I don't think the desirability has depended much on serial. I have the last Y-Serial Sub with lug holes...but other than a hearty handshake, I don't expect much from that
Old 10 January 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
I think the V would be the last serial for the 16610 since it looks like they will be launching a ceramic sub at basel.

But like what Bill said, I don't see the 16610 becoming collectible just because of the sheer number produced. If you've planning to buy a collectible sub for what a 16610 is priced at, I would suggest a 5513 or maybe stretch to get a 1680.
Old 10 January 2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If Rolex continues with the same serial numbering system they now use, then I think that we may see one more letter prefix with the Sub....

The V serial came out in late 2008,and the M came out in early 2008 with Z carrying over.....

So, going into 2009, we had the Z carryover, M in full production, and V trickling in on various models..... It is now 2010 and Z has pretty much tapered off on popular models, M is still pretty strong, and V is available for the popular models, but not so much on the slow movers...

While I think that there are enough V numbers and M carry over to complete out the 2010 year, I think that most are already stamped and waiting to be put together....... Having said that, the new Basel releases are going to likely have the next letter, or go into the new numbering system...... but they won't be on the market until the end of the year...

That means that the current Subs, the GMT's, Exp II's, and the other popular fast moving models need enough numbers to finish out 2010 and extend into 2011................. So, one of those three models will pick up the new prefix, or the new system, and I say it will be the Sub and the GMT.. (The GMT is really a no brainer since it is already going forward)

(What..... did you think you would get a simple yes or no.......)
Old 10 January 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Adam100
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN & 116520
Tnx for your replies

Tnx
I got plenty of information from you guys and will look forward to see the new Submariner with cheramic bezel in steel.

Have a nice Sunday.
Old 10 January 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
The V is last--hopefully ceramic comes out this year in SS Sub--we will wait and see...
Old 10 January 2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Too many LV out there. Maybe someday will be collectable, around 10-20 years from now?
Old 10 January 2010, 10:12 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam100 View Post

Cannot see any 16610 sub becoming collectabe just because of a case date stamp.The 16610 has changed very little since 1989 sure now got SEL bracelet, non lug hole case, LEC, and a few minor font details and thats about it.So there must be a few million 16610s in this world today and the only difference a few cosmetic details.Now if Rolex does introduce a ceramic insert sub at Basel it will be the latter end of 2010 before we see it word-wide at ADs but expect quite a price hike over the present model.IMHO there is too much excitement over ceramic this and ceramic that super case this super case that.A new model sub for me would be a totally new watch
completely new movement and not just a cosmetically change old one.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 11 January 2010, 12:08 AM   #9
everose

Everyone keeps going on about a big price hike for a new ceramic ss Sub.

But its not really possible to push it up so far because of the GMTii pricing.Its not realistic to charge the same as a GMTii ss,because of the movement in the GMTii.

I think everyones getting a little too excited about it.....
Old 11 January 2010, 12:32 AM   #10
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If Rolex continues with the same serial numbering system they now use, then I think that we may see one more letter prefix with the Sub....

The V serial came out in late 2008,and the M came out in early 2008 with Z carrying over.....

So, going into 2009, we had the Z carryover, M in full production, and V trickling in on various models..... It is now 2010 and Z has pretty much tapered off on popular models, M is still pretty strong, and V is available for the popular models, but not so much on the slow movers...

While I think that there are enough V numbers and M carry over to complete out the 2010 year, I think that most are already stamped and waiting to be put together....... Having said that, the new Basel releases are going to likely have the next letter, or go into the new numbering system...... but they won't be on the market until the end of the year...

That means that the current Subs, the GMT's, Exp II's, and the other popular fast moving models need enough numbers to finish out 2010 and extend into 2011................. So, one of those three models will pick up the new prefix, or the new system, and I say it will be the Sub and the GMT.. (The GMT is really a no brainer since it is already going forward)

Good answer Larry! There has been many threads about the 116610 announcement and subsequent release into the market and as in the past, the distribution to AD's usually won't happen until mid 2010 or even Fall of 2010.

This one could be different, I was talking to the GM at my local AD and he told me (for what it's worth) that his Rolex sales rep informed him that the 116610 was already in production and they were only waiting for remaining inventory of 16610s to thin out before they ship the 116610s. We may see them shortly after the announcement at Basel.

I also contacted an AD back home that I have known for 15 years and asked about getting a V series 16610. He didn't have one so he called Rolex sales and they told him that they we out (as we have read in other threads) and could get him one by March, but told him that the 116610 would be available in April!!

With the economy Rolex may have kept their production unit busy and in the case of the 116610, they may be ahead of the curve on production. In any event, this will all be history in a couple months. If this is true, then the serial numbers would probably be in the V series.

Regards, Tim
Old 11 January 2010, 02:05 AM   #11
wcl884
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
Everyone keeps going on about a big price hike for a new ceramic ss Sub.

But its not really possible to push it up so far because of the GMTii pricing.Its not realistic to charge the same as a GMTii ss,because of the movement in the GMTii.

I think everyones getting a little too excited about it.....
I agree. I think GMT will go up to 7500 to 7800, and new sub will be few hundred less. Perhaps between 7000 to 7500 max.
Old 11 January 2010, 02:39 AM   #12
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl884 View Post
I agree. I think GMT will go up to 7500 to 7800, and new sub will be few hundred less. Perhaps between 7000 to 7500 max.
Sorry Guys...... The Sub has always sold for more than the GMT.. It is likely to be the case here too, expecially with the new glidelock clasp..

As for the GMT going up to 7500 or 7800.. I expect it.. Then the new Ceramic Sub will top that..
Old 11 January 2010, 02:41 AM   #13
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Good answer Larry! There has been many threads about the 116610 announcement and subsequent release into the market and as in the past, the distribution to AD's usually won't happen until mid 2010 or even Fall of 2010.

This one could be different, I was talking to the GM at my local AD and he told me (for what it's worth) that his Rolex sales rep informed him that the 116610 was already in production and they were only waiting for remaining inventory of 16610s to thin out before they ship the 116610s. We may see them shortly after the announcement at Basel.

I also contacted an AD back home that I have known for 15 years and asked about getting a V series 16610. He didn't have one so he called Rolex sales and they told him that they we out (as we have read in other threads) and could get him one by March, but told him that the 116610 would be available in April!!

With the economy Rolex may have kept their production unit busy and in the case of the 116610, they may be ahead of the curve on production. In any event, this will all be history in a couple months. If this is true, then the serial numbers would probably be in the V series.

Regards, Tim
You know... that is a possibility. Rolex may see the Sub as what we all see it for.. a must have. The sooner they can get it to market, the sooner the lines will form for one...

Ans if they release them along with the Basel announcement, we will see this years prices rather than waiting for the next hike...+ ...
Old 11 January 2010, 03:12 AM   #14
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the thinking here Larry.

Still looking forward to seeing what this does to the pre-owned Rolex SS market...
Old 11 January 2010, 03:20 AM   #15
Gman76

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I bought a new 16610 a few weeks ago with a V serial #, has the rolex rolex rolex. Is this the latest letter/update? I'm kinda new to all this so don't really know the difference between M, Z, and V. Can someone help clarify this for me?
Old 11 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman76 View Post
I bought a new 16610 a few weeks ago with a V serial #, has the rolex rolex rolex. Is this the latest letter/update? I'm kinda new to all this so don't really know the difference between M, Z, and V. Can someone help clarify this for me?
Here is a list of Serial #s, approx years, etc...yours is pretty darn new...

Scroll down....wayyyyy down.

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html
Old 11 January 2010, 03:28 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman76 View Post
Yes V is the latest case date stamp and there is very little difference in any sub since 1989.The only changes have been now SEL bracelet, non lug hole cases, LEC, and a few very minor font details and thats about it no real differnce M,Z,V.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 11 January 2010, 05:07 AM   #18
Eurosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Thanks for the thinking here Larry.

Still looking forward to seeing what this does to the pre-owned Rolex SS market...
the ones with the must have latest and greatest will be up for sale, i doubt someone that purchased in the last couple years for example would even care for a changed version...
Old 28 August 2020, 12:32 AM   #19
SaintMickey
Banned

Interesting reading 10 years later...
Old 28 August 2020, 01:55 AM   #20
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Interesting reading 10 years later...

Very interesting. And by coincidence I picked one up this week - probably for a lot more than these guys paid.
Old 28 August 2020, 02:05 AM   #21
SaintMickey
Banned

LOL...No doubt and I should have never sold mine.
Buying another keeper today good price but makes me crazy thinking what I paid or the first original ones!
Closed Thread