The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Why Rolex?

Because of the terrible newbie that I am, I can afford to ask a lot of questions, heh, heh, heh. The one that is always intriguing me is: why Rolex? There are so many other good watches in this world, a lot of them much more affordable to boot. Because I had a lobotomy and had every inkling towards all Rolexes bar the Sub, SD and GMT’s removed, my answer is straightforward. Because they make one of the most beautiful and bombproof sportswatches in the word. Forget the Fifty Fathoms, forget even Panerai. Just one comes close in my not so humble opinion. And that is the Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer in all SS.

Take care,

Frans.
Old 26 August 2005, 07:05 AM   #2
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey Frans,

I like Rolex watches (Sports models) because of the simple tool watch look.I will admitt I am probably a bigger Omega fan but the thing I like is the ability to resell a Rolex anywhere,anytime and not lose heaps.(Sometimes breaking even.)

From what I can gather the total Rolex deal is well set in the community especially at the dealer level with little or no discount.(Unfortunately my beloved Omega will give up to 30% discount)

I am not into watches to impress people with brand names as the people I deal with would probably be in awe of a Tag more than a Rolex.
I like Rolex as it suits my lifestyle and it is one of my little sins.

AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

I like your point of the reselling value. Over a 100 years ago, all Dutch fishermen wore an elaborate and heavy gold earring. This was purely in case they drowned and washed ashore. The earring was used to pay for the funeral. (I kid you not). I see the Rolex a bit like that. In case you are stranded in a foreign country and need cash, you sell the ‘lex. OK, I’m entering the realms of fantasy again but you catch my drift.

Take care,

Frans.
Old 26 August 2005, 07:41 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Why Rolex? Good question!! Take one look at this baby and answer me honestly....why NOT Rolex?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

I have the strange feeling that I'm going to have to look at that 'creature from the Lagoon’ very, very often :-) BTW: is that an aftermarket dial?

Take care,

Frans.
Old 26 August 2005, 07:51 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Aftermarket dial? No bloody way, my friend. That's as original as they come. In fact, that's a D-series TT YM probably manufactured in April of this year...and all purchased from an AD here in Auckland.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 26 August 2005 at 07:58 AM..
Old 26 August 2005, 08:21 AM   #7
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

No, no, no. Didn't mean it as an insult. I only know of white dials. YM = Sub Jr.! :-)

Greetz,

Frans.
Old 26 August 2005, 08:44 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

The newly introduced (only this year) 40 mm TT YM is available in a choice of 4 dial colours: Blue, white, silver/grey and champagne.

JJ

Old 26 August 2005, 05:14 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
The newly introduced (only this year) 40 mm TT YM is available in a choice of 4 dial colours: Blue, white, silver/grey and champagne.

JJ
I know you are on the underside of the world JJ so turned the YM
the right way up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2005, 01:01 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
First of all, thank you, Padi, for turning that thing right side up. I was getting tired of seeing that upside down picture over and over again. It was terrible having to stand on my head to look at it the right way.

Now, Frans, in an attempt to answer your question, it's one word: MARKETING. Hans Wilsdorf and his group turned out to be masterful marketers in creating a brand name with cache that almost no one else has been able to match.

Don't get me wrong, Rolex makes an excellent watch. But as Dave Knoll will tell you, there are better, more refined manufactures than Rolex. But Rolex has marketed itself as a timeless, rugged watch of high quality. That marketing strategy has worked well for them as they manage to sell out their entire production year after year and the brand commands a premium price.

Having said that, I love Rolex for their looks and their ability to take that licking and keep on ticking. For my money, the black bezel GMT-II is one of the most beautiful and best watches money can buy. But that's JMHO.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2005, 01:37 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
First of all, thank you, Padi, for turning that thing right side up. I was getting tired of seeing that upside down picture over and over again. It was terrible having to stand on my head to look at it the right way.

Now, Frans, in an attempt to answer your question, it's one word: MARKETING. Hans Wilsdorf and his group turned out to be masterful marketers in creating a brand name with cache that almost no one else has been able to match.

Don't get me wrong, Rolex makes an excellent watch. But as Dave Knoll will tell you, there are better, more refined manufactures than Rolex. But Rolex has marketed itself as a timeless, rugged watch of high quality. That marketing strategy has worked well for them as they manage to sell out their entire production year after year and the brand commands a premium price.

Having said that, I love Rolex for their looks and their ability to take that licking and keep on ticking. For my money, the black bezel GMT-II is one of the most beautiful and best watches money can buy. But that's JMHO.
No question Rolex was/is a giant marketing machine. Less so these days, but the legend lives on. Some may recall a couple years back at another place we debated what is the best overal mechanical watch manufacturer in the world and even Dave Knoll agreed that while they ain't pretty or 'haute horologie' Rolex make the toughest, quality mechanical sports watches in the world.

I'm wondering though... how would a Seiko black or orange monster stand up to a Submariner over a period of say 20 years. That would be an interesting comparison.
Old 27 August 2005, 02:34 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
No question Rolex was/is a giant marketing machine. Less so these days, but the legend lives on. Some may recall a couple years back at another place we debated what is the best overal mechanical watch manufacturer in the world and even Dave Knoll agreed that while they ain't pretty or 'haute horologie' Rolex make the toughest, quality mechanical sports watches in the world.

I'm wondering though... how would a Seiko black or orange monster stand up to a Submariner over a period of say 20 years. That would be an interesting comparison.
Not quite a Seiko Monster but a I have Seiko 6306 from 1979,still running perfect, not been serviced as far as I know, bought S/H about 6 years ago.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2005, 04:08 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

As far as value for money goes, Seiko ranks amongst the very top out there!!