The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 May 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Beagle30
"TRF" Member

1st Time Service

I've had my Rolex DateJust since 2004 and have heard that you should get it serviced? I haven't had one issue with it (knock on wood), but better be safe.

So...

When should I have it done?
Costs?
What do they actually do during the service?
I'm assuming a Rolex trained service provider does it OR does any jewelry store service it?
How long does it typically last?

I appreciate any help you all can provide!
Beagle30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Let her last another 4 or 5 years, is the watch from 2004? Or you just bought it then?
Old 13 May 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Beagle30
"TRF" Member

I bought it in 2004. So I've had it for 5-6 years
Beagle30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 11:02 PM   #4
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Wear it and enjoy it...I would not worry about servicing it right now...
Old 14 May 2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Servicing becomes a personal decision, not a hard-fasts rule, as it relates to when.. However, it is always a necessity at some point in time..

Rolex recommends "...about every 5 years, depending on wearing habits and use."

So, if you are an outdoorsman with an active lifestyle in the water or arid deserts, 5 years would be a likely time-frame.. If not, longer if just fine with 9 to 10 years being a comfortable medium... Many have gone much longer..

When it is serviced properly, it is taken completely apart, every part cleaned and checked for tolerance, out-of-tolerance parts replaced, and re-assembled and properly oiled and regulated..

Not everybody does this and many shops (who charge much less) simply clean the major components then oil it and adjust... a far cry from a proper service..
Old 14 May 2011, 03:03 AM   #6
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
My AD sales representative recommends servicing a Rolex only when it is not functioning properly.
He advises using soap and water, with a soft toothbrush, to clean the bracelet and case every 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle30 View Post
I've had my Rolex DateJust since 2004 and have heard that you should get it serviced? I haven't had one issue with it (knock on wood), but better be safe.

So...

When should I have it done?
Costs?
What do they actually do during the service?
I'm assuming a Rolex trained service provider does it OR does any jewelry store service it?
How long does it typically last?

I appreciate any help you all can provide!
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
STDevil
"TRF" Member

Good day! I'd suggest servicing only when the watch stops working correctly. I bought a sub in 1996, and it did not act up until over 14 years later...
STDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 09:52 PM   #8
calibre1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, OMEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by STDevil View Post
Good day! I'd suggest servicing only when the watch stops working correctly. I bought a sub in 1996, and it did not act up until over 14 years later...
Hi, was it your daily 'beater'? Or was it used in rotation with other watches?

I would assume it would last longer without needing service if it was used in rotation with other watches.
calibre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Here we go again 5 to 7 years is now the excepted norm yes can they go 10, 15, 20 years in some cases yes but why these are highly precise oiled mechanical marvels that need proper service on a regular basis and at the very least have the gaskets and watertest done every other year. Not too much to ask from a device, that will if properly cared for, last a liftime and then some. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
My AD sales representative recommends servicing a Rolex only when it is not functioning properly.
He advises using soap and water, with a soft toothbrush, to clean the bracelet and case every 3 months.
I think three days is too long for a case and bracelet cleaning. If I get a shower, so does my watch.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2011, 01:18 AM   #11
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Here we go again 5 to 7 years is now the excepted norm yes can they go 10, 15, 20 years in some cases yes but why these are highly precise oiled mechanical marvels that need proper service on a regular basis and at the very least have the gaskets and watertest done every other year. Not too much to ask from a device, that will if properly cared for, last a liftime and then some. Rikki
If I understand correctly, you perform service on Rolex watches. I have a TT Thunderbird (TOG) I bought in 1991 and wear it almost sparingly because I have other watches. At any time I use it, it keeps almost perfect time. Should I turn it in for service at this point even though it keeps good time as per USNO standards?
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Rikki
TechXpert

If you haven't had anything done since new I can guarantee your gaskets are dried up and useless. You should absolutely have it serviced. Rik
Old 15 May 2011, 03:23 PM   #13
STDevil
"TRF" Member

Hi Calibre -

I wore the watch EVERY day from the day I bought it until the day it stopped working. It was used heavily - mountain biking, splitting wood, worn while using a chainsaw, worn while working out and then in the shower afterwards, worn while skiing and then in the bar where many a drink was spilled on it, etc., etc..

I was in Cabo when it stopped working, and I first worried that it had ingested a load of sea water. Fortunately, that was not the case. The oils had just dried out.

From what I gather, it was unusual for the watch to run for so long without a service. As I recently traded it in on a new Sub (I think I was enamored by the bracelet on the new sub), it will be interesting to see how long this one goes before it needs some maintenance.
STDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2011, 02:32 AM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
To each his own. For me- if it ain't broke I ain't fixing it! When I have an issue- full service at the Ridley Spa!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2011, 12:43 AM   #15
calibre1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, OMEGA
Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDevil View Post
Hi Calibre -

I wore the watch EVERY day from the day I bought it until the day it stopped working. It was used heavily - mountain biking, splitting wood, worn while using a chainsaw, worn while working out and then in the shower afterwards, worn while skiing and then in the bar where many a drink was spilled on it, etc., etc..

I was in Cabo when it stopped working, and I first worried that it had ingested a load of sea water. Fortunately, that was not the case. The oils had just dried out.

From what I gather, it was unusual for the watch to run for so long without a service. As I recently traded it in on a new Sub (I think I was enamored by the bracelet on the new sub), it will be interesting to see how long this one goes before it needs some maintenance.
Wow that's a marvel! It is indeed amazing that yours lasted that long and used on a daily basis. I have a few watches and my Ex2 is used in rotation. My SMP Titanium gets most of my wrist time. It recently returned from SPA in Swatch group Malaysia.
calibre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 11:34 AM   #16
Rikki
TechXpert

So would you drive your car till something broke or change the oil at 25 thousand miles? Most people might drive their cars a couple hours a day or week when you wear your watch it's twentyfour seven 365. I serviced 6 Rolex's last week that all went beyond the normal time frame and all needed quite a few more parts than would normally be needed had they been serviced regularly,but as you say to each his own. Rik
Old 18 June 2011, 01:30 AM   #17
chestercopperpot
"TRF" Member

I have a Y serial sub that I purchased from David SW this past holiday. The watch keeps good time for the most part but do you think it's important to get serviced? If so should I do it asap?
chestercopperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Rikki
TechXpert

If you don't know the service history at least have it inspected and watertested typically 35 to 50 dollars. This way you'll know what the condition is at the moment and if you decide to have it done then the charge is usually waived. Rik
Old 22 June 2011, 12:24 PM   #19
EverydayCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
So would you drive your car till something broke or change the oil at 25 thousand miles? Most people might drive their cars a couple hours a day or week when you wear your watch it's twentyfour seven 365. I serviced 6 Rolex's last week that all went beyond the normal time frame and all needed quite a few more parts than would normally be needed had they been serviced regularly,but as you say to each his own. Rik
OUCH, Rikki!! 25,000 miles between oil changes? OUCH! I'm still part of the old skool I guess because it's 3k-5k between changes...
EverydayCats is offline   Reply With Quote