The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 September 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
LioK

Watch: On my wrist
Need Help!! Watch Running Fast!!

Hi all,

I had reset the time about a month ago on my ExpII (bought new in June this year) and now its running faster by like 55seconds. Gains almost 2secs a day.
I'm using the internet to monitor this (www.timeanddate.com/worldclock) as my job requires me to travel quite a bit.

Have tried all sorts of positions to lay the watch down at night, face down, face up, crown down, crown up, but nothing seems to be slowing it down or just even containing the seconds.

Questions on my mind are:
  1. Should i be using the internet to set time on an automatic watch?
  2. Is this within the crhono specs of the "+2sec/day", just that its always +?
  3. Anything i can do on my part to "slow it down"?
  4. Do i have to send it in to RSC for a check? If so, how long will it normally take?

I would very greatly appreciate any advice and please ask me anything you think i may have left out that will help make a decision.

Thanks all!!
Old 2 September 2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Gains almost 2 secs a day you say. We should all be that lucky. That is well w/in the specs. From what I understand if you set the watch on its side overnight that will create more friction and slow it down but I'm going from others suggestions and not my own experience. Good luck.
Old 2 September 2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Zack
deregistered

Watch: 16610
Mine was gaining 10 seconds a day. I brought it to my local AD yesterday and got it regulated. It took two hours because of how busy they were on Saturday, but it didn't cost me anything. A full day has almost gone by and my watch is still on the same time that my AD set it at which is 2 seconds faster then the time.gov
Old 2 September 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
LioK

Thanks guys.

I just wanted to ask ahead of time as the next time I'm back in Singapore (where AD or local RSC is) will be in October and just wanted to find out what best course of action to take cos I only get to be home like 4-5 days every 2months or so.

By the way Zack, thanks for the advise on how long it'll take to get this fixed at the AD. Just checked that COSC certification allows a variation of -4 to +6 seconds per day, which means that my +2sec/day is within specs.

Just bugs me that if there is no regular human intervention on my part, and let the watch run +2secs/day, in 5 years time when i have to send it in for the recommended 1st servicing, I'd have gained a whole hour!

Just imagine, if every COSC certified Rolex were to "be within specifications" and not individually regulated from time to time, they could end up a max of 3hours faster every 5 years they are brought in for servicing.
Old 2 September 2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Lionel,
+2 sec per day is great. I'd be happy with that. My GMT runs about -1.5 sec per day. Those are very good numbers. Well within chronometer specs.
Now sit back and enjoy that Rolex.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club

Last edited by Dan Pierce; 3 September 2007 at 12:13 AM..
Old 2 September 2007, 11:55 PM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
The COSC norm is minus 4 to plus 6 secs, so your watch is WELL within the COSC specs.

You CAN have it adjusted to go even more precise (would take a Rolex trained watch maker about ½ an hour by adjusting the screws on the balance wheel with the socalled Microstella adjustment tool), but I would not bother if I were you since as stated 2 secs are just excellent timekeeping.

On OLDER Rolex watches, you could "regulate your Rolex" without actually taking it to the watchmaker. This is known as "POSITIONAL CORRECTION". However, most MODERN Rolex watches are NOT proned to react upon positional correction, but anyway here is an overview of how to "positional" correct your Rolex (it just might work):

You can also read more about "Winding/Setting your watch" in the FAQ's.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 3 September 2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Lionel.

Sounds like you're spending too much time and energy on this.

Getting any mechanical watch to run at only +2 sec per day is a good accomplishment. I suspect that if you tried to have it "regulated" any better, it could be worse...

No mechanical watch is expected to run forever, or even 5 years, without being reset occasionally.

Here's my recommend: Always set it at the first of the month 30 seconds slow. By the end of the month it will be no more than +30. Knowing this, you can always tell, within a couple of seconds, the exact time at any point in the month.. For example, on the 15th of the month it will be dead on, etc.

Or at each month date change...set it back 1 minute....at the end of the year reset to pick up the extra few minutes and start over again.....
Old 3 September 2007, 12:45 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LioK View Post
Hi all,

I had reset the time about a month ago on my ExpII (bought new in June this year) and now its running faster by like 55seconds. Gains almost 2secs a day.
I'm using the internet to monitor this (www.timeanddate.com/worldclock) as my job requires me to travel quite a bit.

Have tried all sorts of positions to lay the watch down at night, face down, face up, crown down, crown up, but nothing seems to be slowing it down or just even containing the seconds.

4. Do i have to send it in to RSC for a check? If so, how long will it normally take?

I would very greatly appreciate any advice and please ask me anything you think i may have left out that will help make a decision.

Thanks all!!

God give me strength almost 2 seconds you have a mechanical watch and thats fantastic accuracy.Just think of this In 24 hours, the escapement of a mechanical watch pushes the gears 432,000 times. Since a day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6 percent! A finer mechanical watch that gains or loses about nine seconds a day or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent. This is very high precision, given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.And your watch you say is only two seconds out a day thats a bloody mechanical marvel and you should be praising it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 September 2007, 12:51 AM   #9
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I always set my watches a couple of minutes fast, so as I am always on time. So no big deal.
Old 3 September 2007, 09:28 AM   #10
LioK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Lionel.

Here's my recommend: Always set it at the first of the month 30 seconds slow. By the end of the month it will be no more than +30. Knowing this, you can always tell, within a couple of seconds, the exact time at any point in the month.. For example, on the 15th of the month it will be dead on, etc.
Hi Larry, you are right, i am spending too much time on this, and your advice above seems just right on how to regulate it. I'll probably not go the the AD just yet. Seems like a waste of time, given that i'm never always perfectly on time as well.

Bo, Padi, thanks for the reassurance that my watch is perfectly fine. Really needed that.

Cheers guys.

Old 3 September 2007, 02:21 PM   #11
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
2 seconds a day is great!!!!Stop worry and wear it with pride
Old 3 September 2007, 05:28 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LioK View Post
Hi all,

Thanks all!!
+2 secs./day is fantastic. But if it still bothers you, try placing it crown DOWN at night. This position might help the watch lose time and negate the gain.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 3 September 2007, 08:48 PM   #13
LioK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
+2 secs./day is fantastic. But if it still bothers you, try placing it crown DOWN at night. This position might help the watch lose time and negate the gain.

JJ

Thanks for the advice JJ. Even if it dont, Padi's percentages on what accuracy its on now seems great. Cant beat that.
thanks again guys.

Lionel
Old 18 August 2011, 02:29 AM   #14
Payesrob

Watch: Submariner 116610
mine is amost 3 mins ahead...I will do the 30 second delay at first of month. But I can live with it.
Old 18 August 2011, 02:46 AM   #15
scarab007
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Great old post coming back around.
Closed Thread