The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 May 2012, 04:17 AM   #1
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Opinions on Nomos

The company and story really impresses me. An independent German maker not governed by a corporation that plays by its own rules, knows how to produces some fine pieces, is always trying to better themselves in watch making, and is said to have great customer service. Sure, some of the Bauhaus designs can seem rather one dimensional but that Zurich sure looks fantastic.

As I understand it all movements are manufactured in-house (despite some being based on previous movement designs) with the exception of a couple outsourced parts (mainspring, screws perhaps?). Other movements are complete Nomos in-house designs like their Epsilon and XI World time complication.

In my research people don’t seem to give them the credit to compete with the entry level elite like JLC and GO and pass them off. I am still leaning toward a JLC MUT Moon but can’t help but consider Nomos in this price point with everything they offer at a fraction of the cost. It almost wouldn’t be fair to not give them a look…

So what’s keeping them from being compared to watches like the JLC Ultra Thin (at least the non-complicated JLCs, GOs, etc)? I understand JLC’s shoes are very big shoes to fill in the watch making world but still have to wonder. Is it marketing and pedigree, the finish not on par, is it the fact they’re less expensive and as a result are perceived as lesser quality?

Having never held one in the flesh I would assume that because Nomos watches are still a bargain that people discredit them as less exclusive and worthwhile. I’ve seen it a dozen times in my industry so why not watches…? Write a menu at a low price and people begin to question the quality and quantity of what they’re about to get. Raise the price of the same menu and people don’t question a thing and love it!

I can’t help but wonder years from now when Nomos impresses us further and prices are on par with the others, that people may feel as if they’ve missed the boat.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 05:11 AM   #2
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I don't think you can compare JLC and Nomos. JLC has been making movements for almost 200 years, including for Patek and AP, and has 350 patents. Nomos is a new company that just recently made its first automatic movement in-house. Nomos has potential, and I do like their designs, but it really is "entry level elite," as you called it. JLC and GO -- not entry level at all, IMHO. I haven't handled a Nomos, I think there are only 1 or 2 places in the US that sell them, but I've heard the finish is not at the same level as JLC. I'd enjoy hearing more -- their watches with thin, winding, movements look nice.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 05:27 AM   #3
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

I agree with you in that regard that you cannot beat the pedigree. Maybe in 100yrs (if Nomos proves itself) time will have been forgotten and people will be saying “Well, it isn’t a Nomos, but…”. In “entry level elite” I meant the entry level watches of the elite brands like JLC. So basically the lesser expensive offerings not in precious metals. Sorry, I hould have clarified that one.

So is it just pedigree? What if we consider solely a brass tacks comparison side by side of the JLC Grand Master Ultra Thin and The Nomos Zurich?
Old 27 May 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I've never handled a Nomos myself so I can't compare from personal experience. But I've been following comments on the german watch forum on Timezone.com and have never seen anyone put Nomos's quality at that level. Frankly, I'm just impressed that they are a true manufactory -- that's a big accomplishment and one that just a small number of the new German companies have strived for. They have a great signature look too --DNA that they can build on. If Nomos reaches that level of quality, it won't take them 100 years to get respect. ALS and GO have "made it" in a short time due to their quality, and their pedigree is certainly debatable.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

One particular thread I came across on WUS had some kid asking JLC vs. Nomos. Seemed like the consensus of opinions and tone was "when you wear bigboy shorts you can get the JLC." I dunno... just seemed like their reasonings were solely based on brand recognition.

I didn't see one worthwhile comment that actually compared the two. There are plenty of great threads that go into the details of the movements and the definition of in-house for some of their movements, but none really go into real comparison/reviews. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of a respected watch maker on the matter.
Old 27 May 2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Copper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
I've been eye-balling Nomos' watches for a very long time and while I'm no expert on watches, I think between Nomos and JLC, the latter just has a massive edge as far as brand value and proven quality/reliability are concerned.

I've been lucky to hold watches from both firms in my hand and between the two, I think exterior finish and quality is almost identical. If Nomos keeps going like they are now, I've no doubt they'll be a massive name one day. Remember all the big guys were once small :).

I plan to buy a Nomos in the next 10 months even though I've been keen on a JLC for longer. I figure it will be a nice journey to have a Nomos watch while simultaneously watching the company, hopefully, evolve.

Copper
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 02:04 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've toyed with the idea of getting a NOMOS for a long time. So far, I only have their sundial. In handling their watches, I found the finish a little inferior to JLC but I don't see that as a negative for such a small company. I like the Zurich and Orion lines. It's definitely on my list but not near the top.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 02:28 AM   #8
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
I plan to buy a Nomos in the next 10 months even though I've been keen on a JLC for longer. I figure it will be a nice journey to have a Nomos watch while simultaneously watching the company, hopefully, evolve.

Copper
This is what really intrigues me as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I've toyed with the idea of getting a NOMOS for a long time. So far, I only have their sundial. In handling their watches, I found the finish a little inferior to JLC but I don't see that as a negative for such a small company. I like the Zurich and Orion lines. It's definitely on my list but not near the top.
Same models for me as well. Orion seems like a winner (and a bargain) although I'm not sure which dial I like better. The blue hand/gold index model seems fresh and a little more versatile but I may tire of it over time while the weiss might be hard to see at a glance but would be timeless.

Zurich sure is cool and the movement looks so nice with the exhibition caseback. But in considering the watch I'm in used JLC territory and could easily save more for a BNIB MUT Moon.

If NOMOS ever made an Orion Moon with the small seconds on the same register like the JLC Master Calendar then I would have already made my decision! Name seems fitting as well!
Old 10 August 2014, 01:52 AM   #9
nygiants
"TRF" Member

Taken from their website:

"NOMOS Glashütte is a member of the Deutscher Werkbund, the initial movement that proceeded Bauhaus: founded in 1907 by businesses, artists, and architects. “The refinement of commercial work in collaboration with art, industry and craft” was the aim, and it still is: The Werkbund continues to advocate combining craftsmanship and high-tech production methods; so that beautiful and functional products are created with the best production techniques. This made good products affordable for the masses."

Nomos has a design philosophy centered around Bauhaus style. It's evident if everything they do, not just their watches. And they are designed to be affordable (in a relative sense).
nygiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 12:00 PM   #10
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I have a Nomos Orion and I have had a pleasure of inspecting many Nomos and JLC models on numerous occasions. My experience suggests that Nomos can in fact be compared to JLC's entry level models, as the design and the execution are the same. Well, they were at least to my eye when I was hunting for a simple dress watch :-)

The entry models crunched out by JLC have approximate the same level of finish as what you would find in Nomos. The finishing is rather spartan on each side and I don't mind that at all given the price points of the timepieces. What Nomos has is a very strong design that forms the DNA of the brand. You can't really say this about Jaeger, as their design and aesthetics are all over across their lineup sans Reverso and Memovox. The fact that JLC has a long history is of some interest, but is that really important? And if so, what would you say about ALS and GO the brands that really came around only in the recent decades?

So what's the bottom line? I do not think you can go with either of the brands. When I wanted an entry level watch, I went with Nomos because of the price. For my next purchase that may be more upscale I will go with a JLC.

P.S. What I really love about Nomos is that they're committed to in-house production and sourcing as many German parts as possible. I am not sure what JLC does in this regard, but I can imagine that as they're a part of a publicly traded company they may have some pressure on getting those costs of materials in-line.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Great Watches

I owned a Nomos Tangente a few years ago and it's a watch on my list to repurchase. So far there's only one other watch that qualifies in that category, and that's a Rolex "Pepsi".

The aesthetics are terrific. Suzy Gunter (a Bauhaus alumni) designed a number of Nomos watches and you can easily see the Bauhaus influence. The movements as someone already mentioned are copies of older movement designs. Nomos probably bought the ebauches and finished them in house with some parts of their own.

It's likely to be a company to watch as they begin the very expensive and time consuming process of designing and developing their own movements. Will they challenge Swiss brands like JLC on movement sophistication in the short term? Probably not, but with access to watch movement designers a stones throw away in Glashutte at both Lange and GO, anything in the long term is possible.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 01:51 PM   #12
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I was attracted to Nomos originally until I saw and tried them on in person. I left feeling extremely underwhelmed for some reason.
Old 10 August 2014, 03:05 PM   #13
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

VERY SUBJECTIVE. Own/owned both JLC (Memovox, Reverso, Diver) pieces and Nomos (Tangente, Ludwig, Club) pieces. Huge JLC fan and very impressed of their ability to manufacture great looking/performing watches at decent price points. Nomos is as good, if not better, from that perspective when comparing the pieces from each house that I own/owned. Pedigree/time and all that is not as important to me as what I see and feel when I have a watch or watches in hand. YMMV . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3228.jpg (71.0 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3243.jpg (62.8 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4575.jpg (83.4 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8627.jpg (55.5 KB, 840 views)
Old 10 August 2014, 03:51 PM   #14
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I owned a Nomos Tangente a few years ago and it's a watch on my list to repurchase. So far there's only one other watch that qualifies in that category, and that's a Rolex "Pepsi".

The aesthetics are terrific. Suzy Gunter (a Bauhaus alumni) designed a number of Nomos watches and you can easily see the Bauhaus influence. The movements as someone already mentioned are copies of older movement designs. Nomos probably bought the ebauches and finished them in house with some parts of their own.
Tangente's design is stunning. When I saw it in on the web site, I had to double check the references for Nomos, as I could not believe that an good looking in-house watch could be sold for so cheap.
Old 10 August 2014, 05:19 PM   #15
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I was checking out Nomos today and the Ludwig appeals to me quite a bit. It's not large and I like the clean dial.

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...teel-back.html

At less than $2k, how could it compare to JLC?

There's an AD in Dallas that I could check out sometime.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

A little more Nomos

This was my Tangente limited edition "Leipzig Fair" model with a display back and sandblasted movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nomos Tangente F1.jpg (41.5 KB, 801 views)
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 08:28 AM   #17
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
At less than $2k, how could it compare to JLC?
It is comparable to the entry level JLC models. Go see yourself. You will question spending twice as much on Omegas and the likes :-) It you ever travel through Frankfurt International Airport, you can compare the watches side by side at one of the several boutiques.
Old 20 August 2014, 02:09 PM   #18
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
They are incredible for the $. And honestly a deal at twice the price. The new metro with their own escapement is a feat at that price from that small of a shop. I unfortunately only have a humble Orion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2014, 07:25 PM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

I only have a Nomos 3.5× loupe and the sundial, I'll probably acquire a 35mm Orion as soon as my bank account allows me to do so, I just love their simplicity.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 11:23 AM   #20
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

I still don't understand as the original poster also asked, why you think JLC is that much better? Just because pedigree? Does that justify price? If JLC was so much better, They would be charging double.

Compare zurich and a Master control. The finishing on the master control is not any better and is 3 times the price.
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 12:04 PM   #21
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I was actually pricing out a Nomos Zurich & came across a 37mm JLC master control at the same price. Not a difficult choice to go with the JLC. Both designs are nice but the design & finish of the JLC is a cut above IMO. I understand that the Nomos Zurich is a Tangomat with raised markers and slightly thicker hands.

Nomos watches look nice in pics but I went to the WatchBuys show & checked 'em out in person. Underwhelming IMO. Maybe the Bauhaus design is an acquired taste. Actually my favorite Bauhaus watch at the show was a Max Bill at half the price.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 03:53 PM   #22
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I own two (used to be three) Nomos and a bunch of JLCs ranging from entry steel to more high end. The Nomos watches are priced well for an in-house movement and have their unique aesthetic which you either get or don't. I find myself getting bored more quickly with my Nomos and have to look for reasons to wear them rather than being naturally drawn to them. Their restraint and minimalism give them their charm but also can make the watches feel somewhat stale. I think their challenge is to maintain the bauhaus design aesthetic while branching out into more adventurous areas - which I see them trying to do now with the blue Zurich world timer and the new metro.

The finishings on the case and movement are adequate, but since their cases are quite spartan and angular there isn't so much going on. Still, JLC's "entry level" steel offerings are more impressive finish-wise and more visually exciting to me (and JLC's are still somewhat restrained). The master control, MUT, MUT moon, master calendar, memovox etc. are just more appealing designs and more varied in look and finish.

Kudos to Nomos for growing so quickly and efficiently and maintaining their unique charm and appeal, but JLC, while priced slightly higher, are just more interesting to me. As simple as the Master Control is for a dress-casual watch, I never get bored with it, and changing up the straps really mixes it up. Another negative for Nomos is that most of their watches have these long angular lugs which make strap changing a bit difficult visually and don't always wear comfortably. Any one considering a Nomos should definitely try to give it time on the wrist as they do wear somewhat differently than traditional dress watches - with no bezel and long lugs.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 03:09 AM   #23
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

The designs can be somewhat simple, but out of their lineup I like the Orion in rosé pink and their worldtimer in blue.

I think the pink Orion makes it different enough to make it interesting. Kinda thinking about getting one

Sent from my iPhone 9S using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 03:40 AM   #24
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I just checked out their website...I'm definitely interested in the blue worldtimer
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 10:08 AM   #25
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I owned a Nomos Ahoi but recently sold it. I like their watches and believe they are a great value. The reason i sold mine is that the way their lugs are positioned-- it was too large on my small wrist. I have considered a Tangente Gangreserve for some time and since the dial size is 35mm --- do not have concerns about the size. This piece has become a bit more desirable (to me) because they are now making with their independent zeta movement. One thing to be aware of is that adjusting the date on their watches (that have a date complication) is a pain..
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 02:02 PM   #26
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I don't think its just small wrists that sometimes find that Nomos wear uncomfortably. I have a large one and still find that the lug structure makes the ahoi wear oddly on my wrist. The Zurich Worldtimer on the other hand, with its more traditional design, wears better.

I'd try to see the blue version in person as I was surprised I found the color too muted.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 02:07 PM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
look nice, panerai like simplicity.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 04:05 PM   #28
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Opinions on Nomos

An AD by my house carries the line and so I get to play with them quite often.
I also visited the NOMOS manufacture when I went to Glashütte last summer.

They are beautiful watches with great finish. What keeps me away is the lugs design. They are just too long and skinny for my taste, as I dislike a big gap between the case and the strap.

I do like the Ahoy Atlantik and the new GMT with the same dark matte blue dial.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 12:51 AM   #29
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I have to check out the Atlantik, I'm a bit concerned with the long lugs though.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2014, 01:54 AM   #30
bar2020
"TRF" Member

As SLRdude mentioned, the Lugs are my only reason for not owning a Nomos. I love the aesthetics and the craftsmanship, but they just don't fit properly on my wrist.

I owned a JLC and handled several Nomos, but can't give an accurate comparison on finishing because I never looked side-by-side. I have been impressed with Nomos overall in their price range.
bar2020 is offline   Reply With Quote