The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2005, 04:00 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Exp-II's most exciting feature!!

Hi guys,

You know what I find most fascinating about the Explorer-II's bezel? It's gotta be the silver shiny RIM circumnavigating the bezel. See pic below!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Thats such a beautiful watch. I know I am going to regret this later, but lets see more. It seems that the white dial is everyone's choice these days and we dont see all that many black dial exp2
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2005, 04:48 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Thats such a beautiful watch. I know I am going to regret this later, but lets see more. It seems that the white dial is everyone's choice these days and we dont see all that many black dial exp2
Thanks, Roger....yes, that is indeed a very elegant watch....and I love it even more 'cause I don't use my bezels...ever!! In all fairness, I did own the white dial last year, but still feel the black is better! To each his own!!

My former white one...

...and some more of the black...just for you!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 5 December 2005, 05:04 PM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

I think the black dial looks better on you. More contrast to your white sweater
Old 6 December 2005, 01:12 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I would say second timezone JJ. If it really is the outer ring, that is sad.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2005, 01:19 PM   #6
Clifton

Did someone say more EXP II in black?

Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

JJ,
I usually prefer a black bezel myself but the white on your former Exp II almost had a pearl like sheen in the pic above... do you have any other pics available of this white beauty?

Do you prefer the EXP II over the GMT Master II?

Clifton,
Nice pair you have there! Have'nt seen a set this nice since Pam Anderson (the most famous Canadian in the world) hosted the Fashion Cares event here in Canada wearing a sheer top...

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)

Last edited by kingblackbolt; 6 December 2005 at 01:23 PM..
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2005, 01:23 PM   #8
Clifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
... do you have any other pics available of this white beauty?
Ask and ye shall receive!!

Old 6 December 2005, 01:27 PM   #9
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Clifton,

Thanx my friend, that is a beautiful white face on that EXP II! Does Rolex use pearl type materiel or is it just a ceramic or something else along those lines?

I was all set on a black face SD or GMT Master II but the EXP II is quite a beauty...

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2005, 01:32 PM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I used to own one of those white dials.

Old 6 December 2005, 01:40 PM   #11
Clifton

Kingblackbolt - I'm not sure how to describe the surface of the dial. It is as glossy as porcelain or ceramic tile and very stark white, but looks like it would bend like tin.

EXPII’s are great watches, but if I were you, I would stick with an SD. I think I could wear an SD/SUB day in/out and never tire of it. I enjoy the EXP randomly just to mix things up.

Last edited by Clifton; 6 December 2005 at 01:41 PM..
Old 6 December 2005, 03:22 PM   #12
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
Clifton,

Thanx my friend, that is a beautiful white face on that EXP II! Does Rolex use pearl type materiel or is it just a ceramic or something else along those lines?

I was all set on a black face SD or GMT Master II but the EXP II is quite a beauty...

Like I said bro, go for the SD or GMT2. I put on the red/blue bezel on my GMT2 and it really feels like a whole new watch, something to consider since it could make it feel like you have 3 Rolexes and with the black bezel you get a Sub like look to it.
Old 6 December 2005, 11:54 PM   #13
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
Kingblackbolt - I'm not sure how to describe the surface of the dial. It is as glossy as porcelain or ceramic tile and very stark white, but looks like it would bend like tin.

EXPII’s are great watches, but if I were you, I would stick with an SD. I think I could wear an SD/SUB day in/out and never tire of it. I enjoy the EXP randomly just to mix things up.
Like all standard Rolex dials, it's just enamelled brass, so it's just really nice enamel.

BTW, ExpIIs ARE great watches and mine has been on my wrist 99% of the time over the past three years. The unique thing about the ExpII (among the Rolex sports line-up) is that it easily adapts to any style of dress. It's perfectly suited with jeans or shorts or even a swimsuit, yet the semi-sloping fixed bezel (the the polished outer ring), the polished case and bracelet sides make it look absolutely perfect with a suit. Slip a strap on it and it's even more formal and looks great with a tux (or in my case, a Prince Charlie, bow tie and kilt ).

Personally, I think the ExpII is the most wearable Rolex around, white or black dial (although Black is better!). I don't want another Rolex either. I don't need one with this on my wrist.
Old 7 December 2005, 04:06 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Personally, I think the ExpII is the most wearable Rolex around, white or black dial (although Black is better!). I don't want another Rolex either. I don't need one with this on my wrist.

Well said, John....the Exp-II is definitely the most comfortable of all the Rollies I've ever owned. Sits perfectly on the wrist and its overall weight of 126 grams is precision balance!!

Old 7 December 2005, 08:27 AM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani

Well said, John....the Exp-II is definitely the most comfortable of all the Rollies I've ever owned. Sits perfectly on the wrist and its overall weight of 126 grams is precision balance!!
JJ, which is more comfortable, white or black dial?

Old 7 December 2005, 09:56 AM   #16
tpearman
"TRF" Member

You know what I liked best, JJ?

I liked the fact that the smooth, sloping, non-moveable bezel made the crystal appear to stand much higher than on the standard, rotating bezel rolexes. I always thought that looked cool on my EXPII. It's funny the small details that one ends up liking about their particular model, isn't it?
tpearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 09:57 AM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearman
I liked the fact that the smooth, sloping, non-moveable bezel made the crystal appear to stand much higher than on the standard, rotating bezel rolexes. I always thought that looked cool on my EXPII. It's funny the small details that one ends up liking about their particular model, isn't it?
It makes it look unique, I agree Tim. But now that watch in your avatar, that is a particularly handsome timepiece.

Old 7 December 2005, 12:01 PM   #18
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I'm glad I'm not in the market for the EXP II. I really like them, but I've seen the white and black dial side by side. I would never be able to choose which to get. What exactly made Rolex make 2 watches with a GMT function? Which one came first?

Tyler
Member #84

Last edited by baseballduck; 7 December 2005 at 12:01 PM..
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 02:36 PM   #19
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Hi guys,

You know what I find most fascinating about the Explorer-II's bezel? It's gotta be the silver shiny RIM circumnavigating the bezel. See pic below!!
You really do need to get a life, JJ. You find the shiny rim fascinating!! Oh, brother!!!

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 02:43 PM   #20
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
I'm glad I'm not in the market for the EXP II. I really like them, but I've seen the white and black dial side by side. I would never be able to choose which to get. What exactly made Rolex make 2 watches with a GMT function? Which one came first?

Tyler
One is for aviation and the other for cave-dwelling.

Old 7 December 2005, 11:28 PM   #21
Atomic

Quote:

Tyler

Tyler, the GMT was born in 1955, and the ExpII didn't come about until the early 70s (I think, since Clifton has two orange hand ExpIIs, he may know better). As Daren said, the GMT was designed for aviation, specifically for Pan Am pilots so they could track two (or three) timezones on one watch. As my dad flew with the RCAF, he said it was common among aircrew to wear two watches tracking different timezones.

The ExpII was introduced for speiliologists (cave explorers) and the fourth hand was not designed to track a different timezone, rather, it was set to follow the same timezone as the hour hand, but on a 24 hour clock (hence the non-rotating bezel. This was so when in the darkness of a cave (and if anyone's ever been cave exploring, cave darkness can make you insane in a short period of time, which prolly explains JJ a bit ), so the fourth hand allowed the wearer to see if it was a.m. or p.m.

Since the movement was upgraded, the ExpII still can be used for cave exploration, but also as a dual timezone tracker.

Last edited by Atomic; 7 December 2005 at 11:28 PM..
Old 8 December 2005, 03:24 AM   #22
tpearman
"TRF" Member

Thanks, D-Man

And I have to say, the watch in YOUR avatar is also particularly handsome. Could even be my next watch when I'm Panerai shopping! You know I love the GMT feature...
tpearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2005, 06:47 AM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearman
And I have to say, the watch in YOUR avatar is also particularly handsome. Could even be my next watch when I'm Panerai shopping! You know I love the GMT feature...
Oh yeah baby, now we are talking!!

Old 8 December 2005, 09:18 AM   #24
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Oh yeah baby,
Are you daydreaming about Juicy Lucy again?

Last edited by mailman; 8 December 2005 at 09:19 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2005, 09:20 AM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Are you daydreaming about Juicy Lucy again?
Wearing an 88 she would really be complete.

Old 8 December 2005, 09:37 AM   #26
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Wearing an 88 she would really be complete.
Yeah baby
Old 8 December 2005, 11:46 AM   #27
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Tyler, the GMT was born in 1955, and the ExpII didn't come about until the early 70s (I think, since Clifton has two orange hand ExpIIs, he may know better). As Daren said, the GMT was designed for aviation, specifically for Pan Am pilots so they could track two (or three) timezones on one watch. As my dad flew with the RCAF, he said it was common among aircrew to wear two watches tracking different timezones.

The ExpII was introduced for speiliologists (cave explorers) and the fourth hand was not designed to track a different timezone, rather, it was set to follow the same timezone as the hour hand, but on a 24 hour clock (hence the non-rotating bezel. This was so when in the darkness of a cave (and if anyone's ever been cave exploring, cave darkness can make you insane in a short period of time, which prolly explains JJ a bit ), so the fourth hand allowed the wearer to see if it was a.m. or p.m.

Since the movement was upgraded, the ExpII still can be used for cave exploration, but also as a dual timezone tracker.
Thanks for the expanation. I know what you mean about the cave darkness because on our field trip we took we went caving, and when we got to the part with the highest ceiling they told us to all turn off our lights so they could tell us a story. It was a story of who they named the cave after and why. Anyway they said that a cave was one of only two places on Earth where you can experience absolute darkness. The only other place is on the bottom of the ocean. I put my hand in front of my face and I obviously couldn't see anything, but I did start to go a wee bit nuts just within a few minutes.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2005, 03:19 PM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks for the expanation. I know what you mean about the cave darkness because on our field trip we took we went caving, and when we got to the part with the highest ceiling they told us to all turn off our lights so they could tell us a story. It was a story of who they named the cave after and why. Anyway they said that a cave was one of only two places on Earth where you can experience absolute darkness. The only other place is on the bottom of the ocean. I put my hand in front of my face and I obviously couldn't see anything, but I did start to go a wee bit nuts just within a few minutes.

Tyler
I betcha you took a "chance" and a "feel" of the surrounding girls too...hell, who's to know...a quick "feel" and you're gone! Let the girls scream their heads off!!!

Old 8 December 2005, 08:40 PM   #29
mailman

Quote:
I betcha you took a "chance" and a "feel" of the surrounding girls too...hell, who's to know...a quick "feel" and you're gone! Let the girls scream their heads off!!!
Old 8 December 2005, 11:24 PM   #30
Atomic

Quote:

JJ and his two track mind.