The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 February 2008, 07:16 AM   #1
kdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 74' 1680
How many seconds does your rollie gain/lose per day?

Dear all, I have a few questions to ask you experts.

I like to know what is the tolerance for a chronometer regarding seconds gained/lose per 24 hours period? Or how ever many hours they use to measure accuracy.

Which time source do you guys use to calibrate the time to your watch?
I've been using www.time.gov , but not sure if they are really that accurate. Because based on the their time I calibrated to lastnight at 2:24am, my ExpII is already 2 seconds faster after 11 hours. Alternatively, could I rely on the clock that is running at the top of this forum?

If none of the online clocks are truely accurate, then I guess I need to buy an atomic clock.

Ken
Old 9 February 2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
A Chronometer should keep time to -4/+6 seconds a day. Mine currently keeps time to +3 seconds. time.gov is good. I use accurist123.com.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Old 9 February 2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Gil F.

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub View Post
Dear all, I have a few questions to ask you experts.

I like to know what is the tolerance for a chronometer regarding seconds gained/lose per 24 hours period? Or how ever many hours they use to measure accuracy.

Which time source do you guys use to calibrate the time to your watch?
I've been using www.time.gov , but not sure if they are really that accurate. Because based on the their time I calibrated to lastnight at 2:24am, my ExpII is already 2 seconds faster after 11 hours. Alternatively, could I rely on the clock that is running at the top of this forum?

If none of the online clocks are truely accurate, then I guess I need to buy an atomic clock.

Ken

I believe the official chronometer standards through COSC are -4/+6 per day. The best thing to do is to go to the same source, such as www.time.gov, which is what I use, over a period of time, say one week. Then average it out for the week. Even if you are +2 over 11 hours, you're well within the COSC standards, but I'd recommend observing your watch over a week or so. I don't know if an EXP is a Rolex certified chronometer or not, but if so, you could get it regulated to tighter accuracy if you wanted. If your watch is new, most ADs will NOT do this but will require you to send it to RSC for this service. I doubt that this would be considered a warranty service if you're already within specs, so you may have to pay a charge in addition to parting with your watch for a few weeks. I've been there, and it's no fun!

I've had good results with time.gov ... it will tell you its accuracy (accuracy within 0.2 seconds) on the website. Depending on how much traffic they have at any one time, this does change.

My SD gains about .625s/day, which I think is phenomenal.
Old 9 February 2008, 07:32 AM   #4
applebook
"TRF" Member

+2 per day consistently when not worn much over the past three years.
+1 or better when worn 12 hours per day and with crown up at night.
Old 9 February 2008, 07:36 AM   #5
jimroe
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 571211A-001
I use www.time.gov to set and check my watch. I like the Accurist site but feel it's slightly off from time.gov so I stick with that one site to be consistent.

That's important as I set my GMT IIc to time.gov 3 weeks ago (the day after I had BHRSC regulate it); I set it 5 seconds fast - 1 minute ago, it was 2 seconds fast, so it's losing about 1 second a week.
Old 9 February 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Rackness
"TRF" Member

+2+3 on wrist for my SD no matter if I am i am working out or lounging around. I have never timed it off my wrist. The 3135 truely astounds me.
Old 9 February 2008, 07:39 AM   #7
kdub
"TRF" Member

thank you everyone.

I just checked out accurist123 and find the time is exactly the same as time.gov, but with a lady's voice helping you calibrate the time better. Very nice!
With the help of the voice I realized my time gained is more like +1 or +1.2 seconds and it has been 11 hours since I calibrated it lastnight.

The ExpII is a certified chronometer.

I will observe my time gain over the next week! Thanks

Ken
Old 9 February 2008, 07:40 AM   #8
firewalkwithme
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss GMT IIc
I think Frostie had a thread about this a week ago, but Mine just past the 2 month mark and it is (-/+1) and holding for 1 week. It stays on my wrist for atleast 16 hours a day if not more. I place it crown up when it is off
Old 9 February 2008, 07:42 AM   #9
firewalkwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub View Post
thank you everyone.

I just checked out accurist123 and find the time is exactly the same as time.gov, but with a lady's voice helping you calibrate the time better. Very nice!
With the help of the voice I realized my time gained is more like +1 or +1.2 seconds and it has been 11 hours since I calibrated it lastnight.

The ExpII is a certified chronometer.

I will observe my time gain over the next week! Thanks

Ken

Ladies voice? Which site?

Kyle
Old 9 February 2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
My most accurate is a GMT II that is ~-1/2 sec per day.. The poorest performer is an EXP II that is ~+3 per day..
Old 9 February 2008, 07:53 AM   #11
kdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalkwithme View Post
Ladies voice? Which site?

Kyle

This site http://www.accurist123.com/

Wow your watch is holding -1/+1 in 2 months is amazing!
Old 9 February 2008, 08:02 AM   #12
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
For the past week my watch has been no more than 3 seconds behind. Right now it's about half a second behind. I've been using the speed up position at night and it seems to be working. So in one week, I've lost half a second.
Old 9 February 2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Earl Camembert
Banned

You know even the atomic clocks are merely o' clock (of the clock) with the length of a second arbitrarily set in 1956 using the length of a second in 1900. The earth is slowing down so at this point in time a leap second is added every 558 days or so, the last one on December 21, 2007. Before 1971 the time was adjusted in small increments not complete seconds. Now this keeps o' clock accurate with the sun but does not take into account sidereal time and the effect of relativity on the space time continuum. There is talk of doing away with leap seconds and just letting o’ clock drift farther away from sun time then every century or so we can have a leap minute.

That said my DD is 1 second off, o' clock, in the week I have been timing it as I place it down to correct with my two Seiko quartz clocks that are timed by radio form the standards atomic clock in Colorado.
Old 9 February 2008, 08:37 AM   #14
firewalkwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
My most accurate is a GMT II that is ~-1/2 sec per day.. The poorest performer is an EXP II that is ~+3 per day..

I have the 116170. Which one do you have? This is my first rolex and I have never been a stickler for accuracy until I got my Rolex.
Old 9 February 2008, 08:52 AM   #15
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
My GMT IIc has lost a very consistent 1.5 seconds a day since I got it six weeks ago.
Old 9 February 2008, 08:55 AM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
My SS GMT IIc is bang on! I haven't tested the precision of my SS Daytona since it was regulated, though.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 9 February 2008, 09:07 AM   #17
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
Less than +5 seconds a month. Crown down at night.
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
Old 9 February 2008, 09:42 AM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

Mine are anywhere from -1 to +4 a day. Some are about as spot on as you can get.
Old 9 February 2008, 09:54 AM   #19
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
My Sub looses -1/2 sec per day
Old 9 February 2008, 11:31 AM   #20
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
My 16610 gains about 3 sec/day, usually, and gets worn practically all the time.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

Old 9 February 2008, 11:38 AM   #21
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
My SD appears to be bringing up the rear at +4.5 secs a day. But it never varies from that so it is very precise. I can live with that.
Old 9 February 2008, 03:16 PM   #22
kdub
"TRF" Member

I read somewhere that in order to lose seconds I should place the watch dial down at night. I did that, but this morning it was faster. Which ever position a watch can gain or lose is different for every watch right?

I am trying to find a position where it will lose seconds. So far the watch seems to gain seconds in every position I place it at.
Old 9 February 2008, 04:37 PM   #23
BuffaloRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 (blue dial)
My Bluesy has been losing approximately 1.5 seconds per day for the last two weeks.
Old 9 February 2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
I had my sub regulated recently, it went from +6s/day to ~+1s/day and has been like that for 3 weeks now.

Old 9 February 2008, 08:06 PM   #25
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

-3 sec since 7 days, always on my arm..

86400sec / day loosing -3 sec thats ääähmmmm ääähmmm

0,0034722222222222222222222222222222 %
Old 9 February 2008, 08:08 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Platty gained just ONE second over the last two weeks!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 February 2008, 08:30 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well speaking for myself never been anal about absolute spot time or checking every hour day etc about accuracy etc.Truth be told that almost any mechanical movement today could with very careful regulation pass the COSC test.The difference is that with Rolex all movements are made to meet COSC spec so they should perform to those standards.Afraid its very doubtful for any mechanical movement to perform to exact spot on accuracy thats just a fact of life.And many other movements with regulation will give great accuracy.But with a Rolex movement in most cases will perform to the COSC standard for many many years.While others might need more regulation over the years,although I have a Alpha mechanical Chrono,and after adjustment.That has been running now for over two years well within the COSC spec and that cost just $60.But for how much longer well how long is a piece of string.And even the vintage Rolex especially the 15XX series movements will perform to extraordinary accuracy.And one old timer a Rolex Unicorn of mine from 1922 after checking gained just 7 seconds over a 24 hour period

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 February 2008, 08:44 PM   #28
Atomant
"TRF" Member

1.3 seconds a day
Old 14 February 2008, 10:28 AM   #29
kdub
"TRF" Member

I've been monitoring my ExpII and so far it has gained 13 seconds in the last 5.5 days, so that's 2.36 seconds gained per day. And it doesn't lose seconds in any of the four possible positions I place it in during the night :(. I tried to find a position where it will be slower so I can offset the seconds gained, so I don't have to manually adjust the time.
Old 14 February 2008, 10:32 AM   #30
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
I've had mine for almost a year, and I've never checked the accuracy.... If I notice it's off a little, I just set it to the minute, not second, and I'm good for a while....

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
Closed Thread