The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 April 2014, 02:56 AM   #1
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Inset fading...

Hey guys quick question with regards to fading insets...

I have a lovely inset on my 16750 but would like the Blue to be faded abit more and was wondering if there is any techniques you have used to speed up that faded look apart from waiting 20 years for it???

Might be a stupid question to tamper with it but just wanted to know if anyone has done it before??

Thanks

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 20.54.51.jpg (79.9 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 20.55.05.jpg (108.3 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 20.54.28.jpg (80.8 KB, 629 views)
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 02:59 AM   #2
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I assume the sun is fairly harsh in Dubai - consider leaving it in direct sunlight. I bet you could get some good fading within a month or two.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I assume the sun is fairly harsh in Dubai - consider leaving it in direct sunlight. I bet you could get some good fading within a month or two.
Yeah thats what I thought maybe taking the inset off the watch and covering the red side so only the blue side is exposed to the sunlight.. That could work???
Old 3 April 2014, 03:18 AM   #4
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
Yeah thats what I thought maybe taking the inset off the watch and covering the red side so only the blue side is exposed to the sunlight.. That could work???
Leaving it in the sun is gonna take much longer then you will wanna wait. Faded inserts took there whole life to get that way.....were talking 40 plus years.

I would either source one that is already faded or you can achieve a faded insert by bleaching and other techniques but they will have a different look. You can tell the ones that are bleached because the fade is not even. They look blotchy and un even. I like both looks but prefer one with a solid even color fade. There are many threads on this topic on this forum and VRF. Just use the search bar and check them out.

BTW beautiful GMT. Love the patina and tbh the insert looks very nice on it.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:35 AM   #5
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
Leaving it in the sun is gonna take much longer then you will wanna wait. Faded inserts took there whole life to get that way.....were talking 40 plus years.

I would either source one that is already faded or you can achieve a faded insert by bleaching and other techniques but they will have a different look. You can tell the ones that are bleached because the fade is not even. They look blotchy and un even. I like both looks but prefer one with a solid even color fade. There are many threads on this topic on this forum and VRF. Just use the search bar and check them out.

BTW beautiful GMT. Love the patina and tbh the insert looks very nice on it.
Hey Kevin thanks very much for the advise, the inset is very nice just want a touch lighter even Blue on it to give it that gorgeous light blue/light rec colour which I think will make it look even more awesome.. I am on the look out for a nice faded one which is hard to find what im looking for but in the mean time I will try a few tricks on this one..
Old 3 April 2014, 03:40 AM   #6
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Don't do it man, you have a lovely insert as is. Love that blue! If you still insist - sell it to me and source one the way you want it.

NukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:46 AM   #7
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
I do agree that insert with the patina looks beautiful .
enhamhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Dont worry I wont be bleaching that inset worst case I will try leaving the inset in the Sun here in the desert with blue showing and see if anything happens...
Old 3 April 2014, 04:02 AM   #9
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Old 3 April 2014, 04:16 AM   #10
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dont worry I wont be bleaching that inset worst case I will try leaving the inset in the Sun here in the desert with blue showing and see if anything happens...
If you decide to do that I would remove the insert from the watch. You don't want your dial sitting in the direct sunlight for to long.
Old 3 April 2014, 04:24 AM   #11
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Maybe, but I don't think it's that clear cut. A car driven in the sun for a couple hours a day, once a week, will be much less faded after 40 years than a car sitting exposed in Death Valley for only a few.

I think it would be an interesting experiment to sun fade a bezel (just the insert of course, not the whole watch) continuously for 3 months in the desert. I'd be very surprised if their wasn't clear and obvious fading.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 04:33 AM   #12
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Trade with someone here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 05:02 AM   #13
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Well guys sometimes I dont practice what I preach... In the last hour I have been experimenting with some bleach on some metal painted items to see results and after much thought I decided to take the plunge and gamble on my lovely inset...

Who would like to see the results????
Old 3 April 2014, 05:17 AM   #14
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Here we go !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 23.12.45.jpg (62.2 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 23.13.02.jpg (56.5 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 23.13.13.jpg (60.8 KB, 560 views)
Old 3 April 2014, 05:39 AM   #15
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
Try contacting TRF seller Jacek. He is a vintage guy and has quite a few faded inserts. Last time I was in his shop he had a booklet filled with faded inserts.
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I'd leave that one well alone - looks fab, don't mess with it. Dubai sun will work on it.
leave it in a window for a few months, maybe tape up the red, if you want that to stay the same.

Edit: too late, just seen you've already knackered it. Oh well, as long as you like it...
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 05:43 AM   #17
southtexas

looks evenly faded to these eyes after the bleach treatment. Enjoy it!

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 05:45 AM   #18
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

But you promised!!

Nah, it looks good as you went gentle, as you seem to know your stuff and as some of the change (in my eyes) might be due to different lighting. Liked the virgin one better though...

Old 3 April 2014, 05:50 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You know what, that looks pretty darn good! I would never do that personally, but it's your watch, so it's your choice, of course. I actually think you achieved the effect you were after, so congrats! Looks good!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 05:50 AM   #20
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMan View Post
But you promised!!

Nah, it looks good as you went gentle, as you seem to know your stuff and as some of the change (in my eyes) might be due to different lighting. Liked the virgin one better though...

Hahhaha Jonas I know man I did promise but after evaluating the inset I had and doing some tests with other items I decide to risk it and LOVE that new Blue colour with Red now.. The Red side wasn't bleached. Im very happy with the look of the watch and it came out pretty even also... Will take more pics tomorrow in natural daylight as those pics where very quick snaps to show the result..
Old 3 April 2014, 05:52 AM   #21
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You know what, that looks pretty darn good! I would never do that personally, but it's your watch, so it's your choice, of course. I actually think you achieved the effect you were after, so congrats! Looks good!
Spot on that was the colour I wanted from the start and VERY happy with that end result... I will still source some more insets if the right ones come along to mix it up abit.. Happy Bunny at the mo.
Old 3 April 2014, 05:54 AM   #22
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

I must admit that you showed some solid bleaching skills there!

RIP my deep blue delight...
Old 3 April 2014, 06:01 AM   #23
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMan View Post
I must admit that you showed some solid bleaching skills there!

RIP my deep blue delight...
Well I did some solid research here on this great forum which proves once again what amazing knowledge you can gain here... Very happy now with those colours... I have my 16710 to swap my Coke and brand new Pepsi insets for more darker colours on the GMT II... On my 16750 with patina I love that faded Blue and Red look more..
Old 3 April 2014, 06:03 AM   #24
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
You got lucky me thinks. I have never done it personally (thought about it) but have heard of mixed results - including trashing an otherwise nice insert. Next time source one with the color you like -=and have less heart palpitations
Old 3 April 2014, 06:14 AM   #25
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here we go !!!!
it actually turned out pretty nice. How exactly did u apply the bleach?
Old 3 April 2014, 06:20 AM   #26
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
You got lucky me thinks. I have never done it personally (thought about it) but have heard of mixed results - including trashing an otherwise nice insert. Next time source one with the color you like -=and have less heart palpitations
I had absolutely NO heart palpitations if I am honest, in my job I make tough decisions which can have serious consequences in life and death so bleaching an inset is hardly serious is it??? LOL. Whats the worst thing that would happen??? I would have to buy another inset for a few hundred $$$. Luckily for me I got the exact colour I wanted to complement my RED on the inset and the Patina on my watch..
Old 3 April 2014, 06:26 AM   #27
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it actually turned out pretty nice. How exactly did u apply the bleach?
Kevin it was very simple I got a little shallow coffee (Greek) cup which is like a shot glass and filled half of it with bleach.. Then I dipped the blue side of my inset into the bleach for about 10 secs then rinsed inset under the tap with running water.. Repeated this a few times till I got desired colour then rinsed it with liquid soap and then put the inset in soapy water to soak for about 5 mins and that was it.. Caution is advised though as it can go very wrong, I tested a few metal objects with the bleach to get a feel for it before the inset dived in..haha.
Old 3 April 2014, 06:44 AM   #28
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kevin it was very simple I got a little shallow coffee (Greek) cup which is like a shot glass and filled half of it with bleach.. Then I dipped the blue side of my inset into the bleach for about 10 secs then rinsed inset under the tap with running water.. Repeated this a few times till I got desired colour then rinsed it with liquid soap and then put the inset in soapy water to soak for about 5 mins and that was it.. Caution is advised though as it can go very wrong, I tested a few metal objects with the bleach to get a feel for it before the inset dived in..haha.

Im glad your happy with the results. I will admit i was worried for you. Your GMT is so nice i wouldnt dare to mess with it lol Ive seen many terrible bleach jobs lately and feared the worst Sad part is there are a few selling them as original even when its clear they were bleached.
Old 3 April 2014, 07:47 AM   #29
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im glad your happy with the results. I will admit i was worried for you. Your GMT is so nice i wouldnt dare to mess with it lol Ive seen many terrible bleach jobs lately and feared the worst Sad part is there are a few selling them as original even when its clear they were bleached.
Yeah ive learned so much on this forum. People are even creating patina in the far east and passing it on as vintage which is scary.. I am very pleased with the look of my inset now even if some people preferred the darker Blue... Will take more pics tomorrow in natural daylight.
Old 3 April 2014, 07:59 AM   #30
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Nice job Andy. Looks nice

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote