The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2014, 03:19 PM   #1
wkhalaf

Watch: DJ II
Grinding sound when winding - DJII

I bought my Rolex in February 2012. Few days back and all of a sudden I wanted to wind my watch when I noticed that the crown (when winded clockwise) has a grinding (scratchy) feeling, unlike before when it was just smooth.

I took it to the AD in Bahrain and the technician took a look at the watch and said it is normal and there is nothing, but when you take the exact same DJII from display and wind it, it is totally different.

Then the AD's reasoning was that the watch might be fully winded. So i took it back home and left it in the safe box for about 1 day to unwind a bit and tried to wind it but again there was the grinding feeling.

I don't know what to do now. I know the winding feeling is not the same! I have been winding my watch almost weekly since the beginning of 2012! So i'm sure that i'm not hallucinating.

Note: I also tried to give the watch a full spin of date and time to make sure everything is alright. So did the AD.
wkhalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Did the tech take a look at it or a look inside it?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
77T

I'd consider a trip to another AD to look into the matter.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 03:36 PM   #4
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Did the tech take a look at it or a look inside it?
After I insisted .. the AD took the watch inside and looked (at/in) it for about 10mins then brought it back (along with the manager) and reasoned that it might be fully winded :s
Old 24 June 2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Andad

Watch: A few.
If you have the same problem when winding it from zero power reserve then it is not the normal mainspring slipping on the drum as it will do when fully wound.

I had a similar grinding when winding my 14060M.

It was slight wear on the auto winding mechanism.

It was an easy fix and RSC Melbourne did not charge me for the repair.

I would take it to a RSC and ask them to inspect it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
If you have the same problem when winding it from zero power reserve then it is not the normal mainspring slipping on the drum as it will do when fully wound.

I had a similar grinding when winding my 14060M.

It was slight wear on the auto winding mechanism.

It was an easy fix and RSC Melbourne did not charge me for the repair.

I would take it to a RSC and ask them to inspect it.
Thanks for the help .. I will do that .. First I'll try to take it to another AD

and if they say that there is a problem .. I'll go to my AD which I bought the watch from and I will ask them to fix the problem.

Usually when you take it to an AD .. how long do they take to look "in" the watch itself and see if there is a problem?
Old 24 June 2014, 05:25 PM   #7
wkhalaf

I just got the watch back from the second AD .. he said that it needs servicing and that there is a minor fixing required .. he refused however to say details. He also added that only oil is needed to make it more smooth ..

But still the winding (although a little smoother) still remains grinding

Advice anyone?
Old 24 June 2014, 10:17 PM   #8
kentrojan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
My blnr used to have a similar problem, but I've flipped it now so problem solved lol!
kentrojan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 11:04 PM   #9
samsam
"TRF" Member

I'd send it in to be looked at. A watch should not need service after 2 years!! I'd go back to either ADs and ask that the watch be sent to RSC for diagnostics.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 11:06 PM   #10
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
I'd send it in to be looked at. A watch should not need service after 2 years!! I'd go back to either ADs and ask that the watch be sent to RSC for diagnostics.
thanks a lot !

How much does it averagely cost to send to the RSC ? My warranty is expired.
Old 24 June 2014, 11:07 PM   #11
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentrojan1 View Post
My blnr used to have a similar problem, but I've flipped it now so problem solved lol!

hahaha
Old 24 June 2014, 11:11 PM   #12
samsam
"TRF" Member

I figured that bit. The cost of service in the US is $600 and they send you a mailing kit. I'm not quite sure about Bahrain. In Saudi Arabia, they don't have a RSC, so all work is done by the ADs in-house watchmakers. They trained few watchmakers at Rolex to do all the work, so you basically drop it off at the AD. An alternative is sending it to Dubai RSC, call them and ask if they do international/gulf area watches.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 02:24 AM   #13
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
I figured that bit. The cost of service in the US is $600 and they send you a mailing kit. I'm not quite sure about Bahrain. In Saudi Arabia, they don't have a RSC, so all work is done by the ADs in-house watchmakers. They trained few watchmakers at Rolex to do all the work, so you basically drop it off at the AD. An alternative is sending it to Dubai RSC, call them and ask if they do international/gulf area watches.
Thank you so much for the advice and the information .. Much appreciated !
Old 25 June 2014, 07:48 AM   #14
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
WAIT ! My Datejust did the same thing when it was about a year old because I foolishly overwound it. Now we all know that a Rolex "cannot be overwound" which is a true statement with respect to damaging the mechanism, but it IS true that if you go crazy and just keep winding, at some point further winding makes a grinding sound.

My problem was I gave it 40+ full 360 degree turns in an already mostly-wound state. Sort of an experiment that went bad. I was upset with myself for even trying.

My AD was willing to send it to RSC for a no charge warranty repair using some AD trick to get it done much faster than the standard first-in, first-out queue. That's a great offer and why I like him so much.

However, I let the watch wind down until stopped. Then I wound it up again and here we are 2 1/2 more down the road and never had the issue again.

So before sending it off and being without it, try letting it wind down til stopped.

Good luck !
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 06:59 PM   #15
wkhalaf

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
WAIT ! My Datejust did the same thing when it was about a year old because I foolishly overwound it. Now we all know that a Rolex "cannot be overwound" which is a true statement with respect to damaging the mechanism, but it IS true that if you go crazy and just keep winding, at some point further winding makes a grinding sound.

My problem was I gave it 40+ full 360 degree turns in an already mostly-wound state. Sort of an experiment that went bad. I was upset with myself for even trying.

My AD was willing to send it to RSC for a no charge warranty repair using some AD trick to get it done much faster than the standard first-in, first-out queue. That's a great offer and why I like him so much.

However, I let the watch wind down until stopped. Then I wound it up again and here we are 2 1/2 more down the road and never had the issue again.

So before sending it off and being without it, try letting it wind down til stopped.

Good luck !

THANK YOU SO MUCH! For your advice and all the members that have participated in this thread ...

I was travelling last week and i decided to park my DJ II in the safe box till i'm back .. for it to unwind ..

once I was back from abroad .. i started winding the watch and it actually felt really smooth and no grinding ..

All it needed was to be unwounded :D
Old 7 July 2014, 07:05 PM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalaf View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH! For your advice and all the members that have participated in this thread ...

I was travelling last week and i decided to park my DJ II in the safe box till i'm back .. for it to unwind ..

once I was back from abroad .. i started winding the watch and it actually felt really smooth and no grinding ..

That the news we like to hear.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 08:22 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalaf View Post

Myself think you are being a bit too OCD about your watch IMHO your watch is fine and nothing wrong with it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:27 AM   #18
danedoc
"TRF" Member

Having the same issue with my 2015 Sub....taking it in for service
danedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:39 AM   #19
billee
"TRF" Member

I had this problem with my DJII and it was 6mths over the two year warranty. They looked at it and told me it was"bone dry " inside and it broke the hair spring.
billee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 03:00 AM   #20
jhendren
"TRF" Member

Winding and grinding

I bought a vintage Rolex Datejust made in 1986. When I wind it grinds and feels resistant and gritty. Called dealer where I purchased watch and he said this is normal for older Rolex’s. The watch I am told was completely serviced and oiled and it still grinds when I wind. Keep’s perfect time and am glad I have 18 month warranty with purchase. Also, I completely let watch wind down where it stopped. It was still gritty and resistant when I wound watch. Hope this post helps and welcome feedback.
jhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2023, 04:05 AM   #21
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendren View Post
I bought a vintage Rolex Datejust made in 1986. When I wind it grinds and feels resistant and gritty. Called dealer where I purchased watch and he said this is normal for older Rolex’s. The watch I am told was completely serviced and oiled and it still grinds when I wind. Keep’s perfect time and am glad I have 18 month warranty with purchase. Also, I completely let watch wind down where it stopped. It was still gritty and resistant when I wound watch. Hope this post helps and welcome feedback.
That is my understanding, that that grinding isn't necessarily a problem.