The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 July 2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

ADs now required to remove stickers and keep hangtag?

Purchased a promised BNIB Daytona from the Mirage Watch Boutique in Las Vegas, order via phone and shipped to my home today. Received the watch naked with all stickers around lugs, bracelet, and clasp removed. They also kept the green plastic hangtag.

I've bought from 2 different ADs in the past (in person) and never had this procedure. Is this because of the phone order + shipped Daytona to prevent resellers from flipping?

Here is the photo provided by the AD before wire was made. They said it had never been removed from the plastic coffin, so naturally I did not ask for it to be taken out.

Their reply:
"I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed. The Rolex you received is a brand new Rolex Daytona. As an authorized Rolex Dealer, we are required to remove the protective stickers from the lugs and bracelet so that the watch cannot be re-sold as brand new like it is on the website you provided. We are also required to keep the green plastic hangtag with the serial number for our records as well as for Rolex.

As stated on the back of the receipt, MGM Resorts International Return Policy for Fine Jewelry/Watch Returns states: Jewelry items may be returned within 30 days of purchase providing they are in their original condition, original packaging (including all accompanying tickets and tags as originally attached) with all warranty cards and explanation booklets intact and are not sized or adjusted in any way. Purchaser shall also be responsible for the payment of any and all certification charges/fees (to include shipping and insurance) as the vendor or store may apply including recertification as new. The warranty card has been filled out with your name and date of purchase. We are not authorized to sell used or pre-certified Rolex. In order to give you a refund, we are required to send the watch back to Rolex for recertification as new and all shipping and certification fees will be deducted from your refund. "

What I received:

Old 11 July 2014, 06:04 AM   #2
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
If that's true they are the only AD in the world required to remove stickers and keep tags.....I'd return it and buy from a trusted seller here on the forum!
Old 11 July 2014, 06:07 AM   #3
JRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough.
It just off-putting.

I'd return it and buy somewhere else. There's something that doesn't seem right in this.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:07 AM   #4
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Since the disclaimer was given to you after payment and after they had removed the stickers they are responsible and you should not have to pay any kind of re certification fees (which by the way do not exist rolex does it free for them). If they had told you that before you paid then thats another story.

Also from the pics of the watch in the coffin it is quite clear the protective plastics are still on the watch

You can also tell them they are in violation of Rolex agreement by fulfilling a phone order (if you have never visited the shop before)
Old 11 July 2014, 06:08 AM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Never heard of that and doubt it's true. On the other hand if you are going to keep and wear it, query how big of a deal it is. I quite enjoy the de-stickering process myself I have to say however.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:08 AM   #6
g-boac

I've NEVER heard of this.

A quick look at most any watch for sale - including trusted sellers - will debunk this.

Mark
Old 11 July 2014, 06:09 AM   #7
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
Based on the return policy the watch isn't returnable for lack of hang tags. This seems ridiculous. If they were going to remove the stickers and hangtag then they owed it to you to let you know before you wired the money. If you want to keep it, keep it but it seems very tempting to return it on principle alone.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:11 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I would be very angry.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:14 AM   #9
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
I bought a sub c recently and they did the same thing in Arizona
Old 11 July 2014, 06:15 AM   #10
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks David.
I normally would've been more cautious, but being an AD I trusted them completely despite not seeing the watch in person.

For instance, who is to say the watch in the coffin is the same watch I received?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
Since the disclaimer was given to you after payment and after they had removed the stickers they are responsible and you should not have to pay any kind of re certification fees (which by the way do not exist rolex does it free for them). If they had told you that before you paid then thats another story.

Also from the pics of the watch in the coffin it is quite clear the protective plastics are still on the watch

You can also tell them they are in violation of Rolex agreement by fulfilling a phone order (if you have never visited the shop before)
Old 11 July 2014, 06:16 AM   #11
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I've had the same experience as well. The AD is also required to complete the warranty card in person with a permanent marker.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good looking watch

Not sure why so many folks seem that they are entitled to plastic stickers, usually plastic protective coatings are removed from almost everything before turning it over to a customer unless it comes in the shipping box.

I've had AD's who insist on removing stickers to inspect for hidden damage and others who don't. In the end it's the watch you wear and not a sticker. The green hang tag is an inventory tag for the Dealer, it's a bonus when you get it, not a right.. You can always ask them to send it to you once they reconcile their inventory if you feel you need to have one.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:18 AM   #13
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
If that's true they are the only AD in the world required to remove stickers and keep tags.....I'd return it and buy from a trusted seller here on the forum!
If I'm spending that kind of money on a gorgeous timepiece, I want to be the one to peel off the stickers. It's clear to me that peeling the stickers is an MGM Policy, not Rolex.

I know I wouldn't be happy with the Rolex recertification process if returned to MGM (with the associated fees deducted from my refund) or the scratches on the clasp and links near the clasp, especially after you asked them NOT to remove if from the shipping case.

I'd return it as well and fight the MGM policy as misrepresentation of the item...unacceptable IMHO!

Just my $.02
Old 11 July 2014, 06:19 AM   #14
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
how strange.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Vaxe, huge congrats on white Daytona! It looks stunning. IMO, it's not a big deal. I think when it comes to Daytona, some ADs will do this. I've heard they can get in real trouble from Rolex if the watch will be resold after bought from them. Not sure how much truth is in it but that's what I heard.

Anyways, hope you will enjoy this iconic piece. It's a beauty.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:23 AM   #16
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

They seem to think that you'd flip it for what, a hefty loss?

Long gone are the days of a profit on a new Daytona.

Great watch with a touch of bullshit from the supplying AD.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:24 AM   #17
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I like removing the stickers, and in some cases not removing them.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:24 AM   #18
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I hope they do the same for the white goods trade, it would be nice to not have to peel off all the stickers.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:27 AM   #19
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

I would return it. Peeling the stickers is part of the whole Rolex buying experience.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:30 AM   #20
psv
"TRF" Member

For the vast, vast majority of customers, they don't want the hassle of pealing off stickers or e.g. sizing the bracelet themselves, so it is understandable. You should have told them about being anal and hanging out on TRF! ;-)

If it really bothers you, just send it back. Otherwise, just enjoy your gorgeous Daytona!
Old 11 July 2014, 06:32 AM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd have a single malt.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 11 July 2014, 06:36 AM   #22
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 DATE-JUST41 sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
First, i'm sorry because i couldn't find you a watch at this moment. i don't have anyone in my stock.
And then about your issue with the stickers.... i've seen a couple of them like that brand new condition from the buyers/friends. And some Rolex USA ADs had told me about this thing before (around early this year). They keep the green serial numbers tag and remove couple stickers for ONLY the brand new Daytona Steel watches when they sell it to the buyers. The reasons are that Rolex USA AD don't want to get in the trouble with Rolex USA if Rolex USA find out those Daytona steel watches been re-selling for more from wholesale dealers after it got sold….., and just simple reason, they don't want you to buy and resell for more with brand new Daytona Steel watches (which you see what wholesale dealers selling for around $12.5K - $12.8K). So make sure you ask about the stickers thing (if you want it has fully stickers intact) and require them do not to remove the stickers before you buy brand new Daytona Steel Watches, different USA ADs have different store policies…...

Instagram @takuyawatches
Old 11 July 2014, 06:37 AM   #23
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
AD offered to remove the stickers for me, but was perfectly content to let me do so myself. Allowed to keep all tags, etc.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:38 AM   #24
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
absolutely not true. I get the watch untouched, coffin unopened and all stickers intact. that is what you paid for and you deserve to get. YOU get to open and do as you wish. That is how I have done it with every new Rolex I have ever purchased and if I can't get it in that condition I don't get it.
That is what you do get from the AD experience, IMHO
Old 11 July 2014, 06:40 AM   #25
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Larry, my concern is not with the lack of stickers but the dubious nature of how this was handled - or the possibility that this is a customer return, seeing as how this AD is well versed with the "re-certification" process.

I will inspect the watch this evening and post if there's anything amiss.

Do you happen to know the serial# pattern for replacement service-cases? This one in particular is ###Y####.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Good looking watch

Not sure why so many folks seem that they are entitled to plastic stickers, usually plastic protective coatings are removed from almost everything before turning it over to a customer unless it comes in the shipping box.

I've had AD's who insist on removing stickers to inspect for hidden damage and others who don't. In the end it's the watch you wear and not a sticker. The green hang tag is an inventory tag for the Dealer, it's a bonus when you get it, not a right.. You can always ask them to send it to you once they reconcile their inventory if you feel you need to have one.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:48 AM   #26
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I've bought six Rolexes so far in my lifetime, five new and one used and only once did anyone remove the stickers from the new ones. As for hang tags, always got them all, even with the one used Rolex I bought.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:59 AM   #27
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
absolutely not true. I get the watch untouched, coffin unopened and all stickers intact. that is what you paid for and you deserve to get. YOU get to open and do as you wish. That is how I have done it with every new Rolex I have ever purchased and if I can't get it in that condition I don't get it.
That is what you do get from the AD experience, IMHO
Spot on.......
Old 11 July 2014, 07:06 AM   #28
ford_kuga
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona TT Panda
My AD removed all the stickers from the watches I have bought from them, they have never kept the hang tags however. I've bought a Daytona, BLNR and a Sub C in the past year, all stickers removed.
I was told by my AD this is a Rolex policy, I'm in the UK.
Old 11 July 2014, 07:07 AM   #29
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
It must be used.

j/k

Congrats and enjoy.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 11 July 2014, 07:08 AM   #30
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
I lov the chance to call Rolex and ask things like this. Lol
The AD is so full of it I can smell it from here.
He wants to keep the tags and stick them on another watch.
Having said that it looks like a beautiful watch it's too bad people feel the need to lie and take advantage.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Closed Thread