The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Icon5 Porsche 911 (997) 2005 - 2009 Owners Current & Previous

i'm looking at adding a 997 cabriolet or targa manual 6 as a weekend car. C2, C4, C2S, C4S (doesn't matter)

can anyone share any cosmetic & mechanical pros & cons and what to look and listen for when test driving and inspecting?

i'm 6'3" 250 and was told i'd fit just fine in the 997 models. (i don't like visiting and driving at dealers until i know what to target so that's why i'm asking.)

thanks in advance.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 07:46 AM   #2
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
I'm 6'2 255 lbs and I fit just fine in 911s. Now the new C7 Corvette is not comfortable in the least. I had to check that off the list.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Daytona View Post
I'm 6'2 255 lbs and I fit just fine in 911s. Now the new C7 Corvette is not comfortable in the least. I had to check that off the list.
thanks but thats the 997 right? my friend has a 996 (1999 - 2003) and i don't fit. my thigh hits the steering wheel.
Old 16 September 2015, 08:19 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I haven't owned one but did have a 13 991...great car. Between the 997.1 and 997.2 there are minor differences including led exterior lights, better electronics (pcm), different engines with the later cars having a bit more power while sounding a bit more muted compared to the early 997.1s.

Buy the newest you can afford and avoid garage queens. These cars need to be driven and have the problems worked out before you get em.

On a side note I'm sad porche is methodically erasing the NA engines for turbos. I need to get another before it's too late. Maybe a cayman gts

Edit: I know you want a 997 but if for some reason it's a tight squeeze the 991 had plenty of room for my 6'3'' 225 frame with room to spare. Different car though.

Forgot to state the obvious don't buy anything without taking it to a p car dealer for a pre purchase inspection and don't fall in love with the first one you drive. Porsches will do funny things to a man
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 02:13 PM   #5
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I haven't owned one but did have a 13 991...great car. Between the 997.1 and 997.2 there are minor differences including led exterior lights, better electronics (pcm), different engines with the later cars having a bit more power while sounding a bit more muted compared to the early 997.1s.

Buy the newest you can afford and avoid garage queens. These cars need to be driven and have the problems worked out before you get em.

On a side note I'm sad porche is methodically erasing the NA engines for turbos. I need to get another before it's too late. Maybe a cayman gts

Edit: I know you want a 997 but if for some reason it's a tight squeeze the 991 had plenty of room for my 6'3'' 225 frame with room to spare. Different car though.

Forgot to state the obvious don't buy anything without taking it to a p car dealer for a pre purchase inspection and don't fall in love with the first one you drive. Porsches will do funny things to a man
Good advice there thanks. What about the bearing failure? Was it fixed in >=2005 models?
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 02:48 PM   #6
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Good advice there thanks. What about the bearing failure? Was it fixed in >=2005 models?
The IMS bearing problem was addressed in the 2006 model by beefing up the area in question, but it did not completely resolve the issue. The issue was resolved in the 997.2

My mechanic (strictly a Porsche guy) said the issue usually surfaced in garage queens. The problem is the bearing is splash lubricated rather than constantly lubricated under pressure. So a car that was driven to the dry cleaners and back home rarely had the chance for the bearing to get properly lubricated by oil up to temperature. His point was the car would be better off to be driven only one day a week but taken out and driven. This way the oil has a chance to get up to temperature and properly lubricate the bearing from cornering and acceleration and braking. In this regard a car with higher mileage is less likely to have an issue than one with very low miles on the theory if it made it that far and the oil filter is clean it wi;ll probably be ok.

The key is to keep an eye on it by having the oil filter sawed open at oil changes and examined for any metal shavings or metallic particles. Early detection and the fix is relatively cheap compared to a catastrophic engine failure.
Old 16 September 2015, 03:00 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Assuming you are talking about the notorious IMS issue with the 997?

I am no expert and frankly don't buy cars pre-owned but I understand buying an 09 is the best defense against this, hence the buy the newest you can afford.

Some of us are mechanically inclined, others like me, not so much. We have to stick to the new ones

Regardless, rennlist and 6speedonline are the places to get p car info. I found TRF and it cost me a few rolex, patek, AP etc....found rennlist and it cost me a lifelong addiction to 911s

I better steer clear of ferrarichat

I tend to put on a lot of miles and having porsche fix a car out of warranty comes way too close to the cost of driving the latest.
Old 16 September 2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Thanks for the info.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

Depending on your budget I would suggest you get a 996 twin turbo, they never had the bearing problem and are a rocket ship.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:34 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

What a problem to have.. good luck with finding the right 911

Oh and don't forget to post pics when you get one
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
At your size I would not be looking at cars with the sport seats!!! I think you will find them way too uncomfortable!!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 10:31 PM   #12
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
At your size I would not be looking at cars with the sport seats!!! I think you will find them way too uncomfortable!!!
100% I agree with Steve I own 2012 911 and I'm 6"3 220lb not so comfortable thinking of selling soon
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 06:56 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
100% I agree with Steve I own 2012 911 and I'm 6"3 220lb not so comfortable thinking of selling soon

Go for a 991 with the 14 way seats! I'm your build and that car was extremely comfortable! Much more than my current f80 m3
Old 17 September 2015, 09:02 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

friends; its a no go. i don't fit. apparently i'm built for football.

search for a sunday car goes on... but not from Stuttgart.
Old 17 September 2015, 10:38 AM   #15
Dyim
"TRF" Member

If your budget allows, look at 991. I am 6'2" (long in the legs though) and fits in fine with a glass roof and room to spare. Cabrio fits me also.

Don't look at 18 ways, a bit constricting for your size. 14 ways or base seat should fit better for you.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 11:21 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

As stated if you can swing a 991 I gurantee you fit. Lebron James fits and so will you. When I put the seat back for ingress/egress I couldn't touch the pedals and I'm 6'3'' 225
Old 17 September 2015, 12:31 PM   #17
nick c
Banned

Quote:

Go with suv like me BMW X5 v8 so much power
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 12:36 PM   #18
APRolex
Banned

Watch: AP Perp Skeleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

All excellent points. Listen to this wise man, and you will be fine.
APRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Thanks guys. The 991 is a possibility but they exceed my budget. looking at a 2008 m3 cab to keep my 6spd preference. i'll update how it goes. cheers!
Old 19 September 2015, 04:22 AM   #20
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
You will absolutely fit in a P car.

I've had 2 911 4S models and they handle like no other.

I was taking a turn and there was sand on the road, the wheels gripped like no other. Became a loyal fan after that.

You can't do a burn out, but you'll feel the best planted car on the road.

Finance the balance / extend the term of the loan - get the car you want! Porsche > M3 IMO
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 05:08 AM   #21
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:

Hey Chewy - you mentioned the M3, have you tried one of those out for size? They're very spacious and amazing cars. The e90, e92 and e93 is a sure bet too. Incredible engineering in Ms and they're incredibly strong. They're very maintainable and tough as nails. You can truly push them to their limits endlessly without crazy breakage. And you can do lots of burn outs too!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 05:41 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Hey Chewy - you mentioned the M3, have you tried one of those out for size? They're very spacious and amazing cars. The e90, e92 and e93 is a sure bet too. Incredible engineering in Ms and they're incredibly strong. They're very maintainable and tough as nails. You can truly push them to their limits endlessly without crazy breakage. And you can do lots of burn outs too!
agreed.

i drove a sedan for a few days and liked it. there's just not that many cabrios around right now. found 2 but both white (ugh).
Old 19 September 2015, 05:50 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I have an f80 m3 and if you do euro delivery and get a solid discount you can get into a comfortably equipped 16 for crazy cheap like 60k. 7-8% euro delivery discount and 7% or so on top of that boom! Food for thought.
Old 20 September 2015, 09:14 PM   #24
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Sorry but I will go against the majority and vote for the gen 1 997 (with a caveat) IMS issue is easily fixed if you are worried about it. My 06 Carrera S was a great car and my 07 turbo is the best car I have owned and I have had a few. The reason I went the turbo was the mezger engine (basically a race engine) and the gen 2 997's did not have this engine. In summary 997 gen 1 is awesome but I would stick to the Mezger engine which in the turbo or GT3 otherwise choose a 991 maybe.
Also I am 6.1 and 100kgs!
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote