The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 September 2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Orchi
Banned

Newbie(0 FB) has over USD62K worth of watches for sale...!?

Err buddies...somebody please take a closer look at these doubtful auctions...
n report these to eBay...ASAP!

This Newbie eBay Seller - emperialtrade has ZERO FeedBack history in eBay...
yet he has suddenly listed 4 high-ticket watches including...

1. a Rolex 16550 Cream
Explorer II for sale...with WRONG Serial Nos. posted...!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-16550-crea...QQcmdZViewItem

2. a Patek Nautilus...

http://cgi.ebay.com/patek-nautilus-3...QQcmdZViewItem

3. a Patek Calatrava...

http://cgi.ebay.com/patek-5296R_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

4. a Rolex 1655 Orange Hand...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-1655-orang...QQcmdZViewItem

Unbelievably amazing collection of watches for sale...all at once...!

Payment terms : Paypal accepted...
NO Refund policy stated...Go figure!
Reserves NOT Met...

What's the Verdict here...???

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZemperialtrade
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 04:30 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The seller shows to have changed the identity in the last 30 days from "harold3233168" who had a been an ebayer with 4 years but I could not find any feedback.

Hmmm?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 04:39 AM   #3
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Ball
Report to eBay??? Why?

Would a scammer take paypal?
Would a scammer put rather high prices on them and yet have an even higher reserve?
(ususally the scammers have cheaper prices...buy it now...)
Would a scammer take credit cards and paypal?
No refund policy mentioned? So what? If you pay buy credit card you are covered.

I do not like zero feedbackers either...they scare me... but since he takes credit cards and his prices are not give away prices and since he has papers for one watch and those papers match the country the seller is from then why would you "turn him into ebay?" Get real.

Verdict? leave the guy alone unless you find something else about him.

Jeff
jeff hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 04:59 AM   #4
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
Orchi...Jeff...

...FACTS:

....newbie-may be selling off all or part of a nice collection, for whatever reason(s).
...."0" FB.....BUYER BEWARE.
....ALL new/recent sellers are REQUIRED to offer PayPal.
....good pic's...notwithstanding limited info in the respective listings.

I would say that the ONLY thing to determine at this point, would be to see if these pic's were pirated from elsewhere. THEN, it could be shown that the listings are in fact SUSPECT and most likely fraudulent/SCAM.

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Orchi
Banned

Err buddies...these sort of things ought to be done differently in here...

The fact that...questions n doubts have been constituted...on these listings...
the only due considerations...n justifiable recourse ought to be sought from...
none other party than...eBay.

These questionable...doubtful n debatable listings by the Seller must therefore
be RUSHED n presented to the governing party for appropriate actions to be taken by the same...
without further ado...

The FINAL say...shall come from eBay...

That's the bottom line...coz err...Stone Cold...or somebody like that...suggested so...!
Old 22 September 2008, 05:33 AM   #6
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Orchi,

On one point I very much disagree.

To turn in every single watch that makes any one of you uncomfortable for any reason, even slight reason, is silly and a) harmful to the seller if he is legit and b) waters down the "power" that this board thinks it has.

there is a huge discussion going on elsewhere of dozens of legitimate power sellers who have had items taken down wrongly. most of these sellers site this board as the reason the legit items got taken down.

Why "cry wolf" on every single thing to ebay for even the flimsiest of reasons?

this is counterproductive.

sorry to disagree on that one point.

RUSHing to tell ebay on simple hunches dilutes any power this forum has.
Old 22 September 2008, 07:38 AM   #7
vtime716

yes, mr jeff is right. why report it at once just because of 0 feedback.... maybe this watches are his collection for a long time and he needed funds to raise something. he won't take pay pal if he is into somethings else. unless his watches have other questionables anomaly, ebay should be notify for sure.
vtime716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 07:40 AM   #8
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
i did not see them but they are all invalid now

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 07:50 AM   #9
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Next!!!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 08:18 AM   #10
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
I don't buy on ebay. The above is why......I have to go with Orchi on all of this; he's very experienced and if he's uncomfortable, I am too. I understand that people who sell on ebay are upset with complaints from TRF: but remember, there is no 'TRF' just individuals who make complaints, thus, the 'clout' of TRF is largely imagined(as is all power that does not come from the muzzle of a gun, to turn Mao's famous comment on its head). Stay cool everyone. enjoy your watches!
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 09:15 AM   #11
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
with the question of zero feedback sellers what I normally do if I am interested in buying the watch is that I will contact the seller and have them send me photo's with the watch set to whatever time I want them too-that at least verifies possession of said watch.as far as reporting them just for having zero feedback,well everyone had to start at zero feedback once-so that in itself isnt enough to justify a report,unless there are questionable attributes of said auction similar to what was noted above.
the only other way to help ensure you do not get burned by zero feedback bidders is to request personal references from sales of local items or their employer etc..this is not unreasonable when talking about the sums of money involved in the buying of a rolex.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 10:33 AM   #12
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
I got up at 4:30 this morning, drove to my friends house where he followed me to the place of our ride, almost hit two deer on the road driving down there, rode 50+ miles, drove to Mid-Michigan to meet my fellow program director, drove to my least favorite city, had a great dinner, just checked in to the hotel with the new; "Brisingr" book, got on line to look at the forum.

I had nothing to do with these watches. They all are invalid now for some reason.

I rode 60 miles yesterday, 50+ today. I am zonked. Good night all.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 11:26 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
with the question of zero feedback sellers what I normally do if I am interested in buying the watch is that I will contact the seller and have them send me photo's with the watch set to whatever time I want them too-that at least verifies possession of said watch.as far as reporting them just for having zero feedback,well everyone had to start at zero feedback once-so that in itself isnt enough to justify a report,unless there are questionable attributes of said auction similar to what was noted above.
the only other way to help ensure you do not get burned by zero feedback bidders is to request personal references from sales of local items or their employer etc..this is not unreasonable when talking about the sums of money involved in the buying of a rolex.
Some guys start with 0 feedback more than once. Ouch!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Orchi
Banned

Err buddies...critical issues call for drastic n swift countermeasures...
under crucial circumstances...

Orchi always believes...a Seller whether or not he or she may be a Newbie
has all the time at his/her disposal to do the necessary homeworks before
listing ANY items n presenting them to the best of sincerity...ability n efforts...

1. Those descriptions provided by the Seller were too brief to be serious.
2. Those pictures n details given were distant n shoddy.
3. Change of User account n Identity is ambiguous.
4. 2 serial nos. of the high end "HOT" watches namely Ref 16550 n 1655 were INACCURATELY provided by the Seller.
5. The Newbie Seller made NO EFFORT to provide ANY contact informations.
5. The rest is history...

Don't shoot the messenger...
Old 22 September 2008, 12:22 PM   #15
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hess View Post
Report to eBay??? Why?

Would a scammer take paypal?
Would a scammer put rather high prices on them and yet have an even higher reserve?
(ususally the scammers have cheaper prices...buy it now...)
Would a scammer take credit cards and paypal?
No refund policy mentioned? So what? If you pay buy credit card you are covered.

I do not like zero feedbackers either...they scare me... but since he takes credit cards and his prices are not give away prices and since he has papers for one watch and those papers match the country the seller is from then why would you "turn him into ebay?" Get real.

Verdict? leave the guy alone unless you find something else about him.

Jeff
With all due respect, if you think those points safeguard your money, you don't really know the ins and outs of payment loopholes.
Old 22 September 2008, 10:40 PM   #16
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

With all due respect, if you think those points safeguard your money, you don't really know the ins and outs of payment loopholes.

-------------

Scott,

And with deep respect, I submit again, that to "turn people in" to ebay without any proof other than a "hunch" is counterproductive and silly. If we are "on the fence" simply do not bid.

But to ruin a persons sales career on ebay on a mere hunch or because the newbie is stupid or not very bright or cannot shoot good pics is shameful.

We should concentrate on scam artists. Cheats. Liars. not newbies or those who make mistakes.

moderation is a true virtue.

Jeff
Old 22 September 2008, 11:11 PM   #17
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hess View Post

-------------

Scott,

And with deep respect, I submit again, that to "turn people in" to ebay without any proof other than a "hunch" is counterproductive and silly. If we are "on the fence" simply do not bid.

But to ruin a persons sales career on ebay on a mere hunch or because the newbie is stupid or not very bright or cannot shoot good pics is shameful.

We should concentrate on scam artists. Cheats. Liars. not newbies or those who make mistakes.

moderation is a true virtue.

Jeff

I totally agree- but i would not bid in 1 million years

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 10:50 AM   #18
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

I tend to think Orchi's points are extremely valid. I think it is far better to error on the side of caution - report to Ebay - Allow them to sort it out then to have somebody... Possibly ME buy something and get scammed.

To sell watches at that level on Ebay with zero feedback seems to be a risk. Steve's comments are good - checking other references.

Personally, I appreciate the heads up on this potentially shaddy stuff. This guy clearly knows how to change identities on Ebay - if his "sales career" with zero feedback is ruined by an inquiry.... I am sure he will figure out how to get back into the game. Hopefully TRF folks are there to warn before somebody gets taken.
Old 28 September 2008, 11:06 AM   #19
Lol-x
Facilitator

When you say 'turn people in', if I as a private citizen raises some issues related to an auction with e-bay and I make factual statements to e-bay then it is ultimately e-bay who makes the decision whether to do nothing, contact the seller, delist the auction, or whatever else.

I really can't see why a concerned citizen, even a potential purchaser has done wrong, in saying to e-bay, "Hey, I just want to bring these points A,B & C to your attention on this auction".

Also, a seller may say they will take PayPal, but it is so very easy for them to contact the winning bidder after an auction and say, "I'll give you 5% discount if you send the money by X method (e.g. cash to a foreign bank account) instead of PayPal". So having "PayPal" as an advertised payment method, is not conclusive or indeed evidence of legitimacy.

In this instance e-bay cancelled the auctions of e-bay's own free will, and one could reasonably presume that e-bay have their own internal methods, standards and procedures of determining whether they wish to allow or disallow any given auction to proceed. Maybe e-bay was able to do an IP trace on the seller, or some other undisclosed verification procedures that convinced e-bay to act as they did.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 12:41 PM   #20
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Steve (lol-x) and Orchi made some very good points here concerning this seller, as their auction did raise "red flags" to those experienced enough to recognize "red flags" of something being amiss.

I agree that bringing this to ebay's attention was the proper thing to do as they are the final authority in these matters.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 05:32 PM   #21
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
When you say 'turn people in', if I as a private citizen raises some issues related to an auction with e-bay and I make factual statements to e-bay then it is ultimately e-bay who makes the decision whether to do nothing, contact the seller, delist the auction, or whatever else.

I really can't see why a concerned citizen, even a potential purchaser has done wrong, in saying to e-bay, "Hey, I just want to bring these points A,B & C to your attention on this auction".

Also, a seller may say they will take PayPal, but it is so very easy for them to contact the winning bidder after an auction and say, "I'll give you 5% discount if you send the money by X method (e.g. cash to a foreign bank account) instead of PayPal". So having "PayPal" as an advertised payment method, is not conclusive or indeed evidence of legitimacy.

In this instance e-bay cancelled the auctions of e-bay's own free will, and one could reasonably presume that e-bay have their own internal methods, standards and procedures of determining whether they wish to allow or disallow any given auction to proceed. Maybe e-bay was able to do an IP trace on the seller, or some other undisclosed verification procedures that convinced e-bay to act as they did.
Err buddy Steve...that's very well coined by you...Orchi could NOT have said it any better...2 X
Old 29 September 2008, 04:18 AM   #22
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
there where good points on both sides on this issue,that is why friendly debate is the cornerstone to our civilization.now if we could combine both positive aspects we will all be enlightened.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote