The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
Thinking of buying a Patek Philippe 5726/1A-00

One of my local AD had one come in last week they've been holding for me (w/a deposit) and I'm having a hard to pulling the trigger. I've not purchase from them before.

The AD I purchase my Rolexes and PAMs through has a 10 person waiting list for this Patek and told me it would be 2-3 years before I would see this watch. I trust them as I've bought many hard to get watches as one if their good customers (PAM 507 & 508)

I called around to out of states ADs looking for the 5726 before I found the one locally, and all of them did not have one in stock and said it's difficult to aquire.

This would be my first Patek and although I have spend more on only one other watch I have, not sure if I can justify the $44k price tag plus the taxes.

Has others who have wanted this watch experienced the same challenge with availability?

I love the watch, there's a simplisty to this gorgeous looking complicated watch and I understand the band to be extremely comfortable.

Thanks for again for the feedback.
Todd Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 04:39 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

Doesnt sound like you are 100% committed to the watch....in that case it doesnt matter how long the wait list is you probably wont be in the future either....I would pass....buyers remorse can be expensive! Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 04:39 PM   #3
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
5712 (strap) or 5980 (bracelet) for my preference.
Don't get me wrong, I like all Nautilus models either way.

I also really like the 5980 RG strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.jpg (61.5 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2066.jpg (102.0 KB, 719 views)
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 08:23 PM   #4
yoast
"TRF" Member

Don't buy it because it is a coveted watch, buy it if it really sings to you.
If you pay full price and tax, you will take a hit if you decide to sell it soon.
Old 1 March 2017, 12:11 AM   #5
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Picture

DeeTee. Nice looking Pateks Thanks for the imput. I'm not buying because it's hard to obtain, although I do prefer harder to get watches. I am curious why the harder to obtain Pateks don't hold there value. I have a line on a 7 month old 5726 purchased from an AD for $36k, although I've not yet bought a preowned, I was considereing this one.

Here is a picture of the actual watch the AD has on hold for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7224.jpg (43.9 KB, 664 views)
Old 1 March 2017, 01:21 AM   #6
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
DeeTee. Nice looking Pateks Thanks for the imput. I'm not buying because it's hard to obtain, although I do prefer harder to get watches. I am curious why the harder to obtain Pateks don't hold there value. I have a line on a 7 month old 5726 purchased from an AD for $36k, although I've not yet bought a preowned, I was considereing this one.

Here is a picture of the actual watch the AD has on hold for me.
5726 is a great piece i might d take it used to be but it lacks my no.1 preference, the magical blue Nautilus dial.If you like the grey one, go for it.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 01:37 AM   #7
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I believe you can look around and get much better prices, but I haven't priced that particular model lately.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 01:58 AM   #8
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
I personally love the 5726.. As others have said, buy it because you love it, not based on how difficult it is to find.
Old 1 March 2017, 02:02 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

I always wonder if they are so difficult to get why does your AD have one available for purchase and you've never even purchased from them?

Some people have all the luck I guess.

If you like it buy it. Please don't buy because of 'demand'.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 02:10 AM   #10
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
If you like it , I would buy it. Seems like a good find. Sold out around here.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 02:30 AM   #11
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I always wonder if they are so difficult to get why does your AD have one available for purchase and you've never even purchased from them?

Some people have all the luck I guess.

If you like it buy it. Please don't buy because of 'demand'.
Hey - I got a RG Lotus for my first Mille, and have been offered the very limited Todt, the 35-02 and each version of the 11-03 from ADs I've never bought from. Scarce is just another word for unlucky.
Old 1 March 2017, 05:26 AM   #12
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Wait for a blue dial one like the rest of us.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 05:33 AM   #13
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Hey - I got a RG Lotus for my first Mille, and have been offered the very limited Todt, the 35-02 and each version of the 11-03 from ADs I've never bought from. Scarce is just another word for unlucky.
But they don't have them in stock

Don't always have to make it a RM battle, I know you're in your Patek phase (think you sold your RM), but sometimes comments are just that.
Old 1 March 2017, 05:45 AM   #14
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

What's not in stock?
Old 1 March 2017, 05:48 AM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's not in stock?
Not going to get into pissing contest with you. If you have an issue, PM me. Take care.
Old 1 March 2017, 06:08 AM   #16
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Nobody's getting in a pissing contest at all, and if you think that's what this is perhaps examine your motivations and intent. I had no idea as to what you're referring to as not being in stock. Mille has increased production, cut prices and is cooling off. Some Patek models are very hot and hard to get right now. Those are just facts. Richard Mille isn't your uncle, and Theirry Stern isn't mine. There's nothing personal in this. Frankly, the only person on this board with a need to defend one brand constantly while taking swipes at others is you; if you think that's what I'm doing here, it's merely the lens through which you see the board. I have never once said anything bad against a brand or a poster here; either outright or in what I imagined to be a clever manner.
Old 1 March 2017, 06:10 AM   #17
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nobody's getting in a pissing contest at all, and if you think that's what this is perhaps examine your motivations and intent. I had no idea as to what you're referring to as not being in stock. Mille has increased production, cut prices and is cooling off. Some Patek models are very hot and hard to get right now. Those are just facts. Richard Mille isn't your uncle, and Theirry Stern isn't mine. There's nothing personal in this. Frankly, the only person on this board with a need to defend one brand constantly while taking swipes at others is you; if you think that's what I'm doing here, it's merely the lens through which you see the board. I have never once said anything bad against a brand or a poster here; either outright or in what I imagined to be a clever manner.
Good god...
Old 1 March 2017, 06:22 AM   #18
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5711.you will save a significant sum and get a timeless and beautiful, value retains watch vs the 5726 which has a less broad appeal and lesser value retention.
Old 1 March 2017, 10:26 AM   #19
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I love the 5726 and still have my Polar and had the grey on a strap. I have seen them around at many AD's here in NY & Fl. It's not a highly loved reference compared to models like the 5711, 5712 and 5980. I have the 5712 as well and that too is a phenomenal watch. I wouldn't go for whats "hard" but what you like. Tastes change...years ago you couldn't give away a 3700 and today they are sky rocketing. My point is that create your own trend and don't follow others.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 10:59 AM   #20
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
5711.you will save a significant sum and get a timeless and beautiful, value retains watch vs the 5726 which has a less broad appeal and lesser value retention.
That's the way to go
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 11:11 AM   #21
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
One of my local AD had one come in last week they've been holding for me (w/a deposit) and I'm having a hard to pulling the trigger. I've not purchase from them before.

The AD I purchase my Rolexes and PAMs through has a 10 person waiting list for this Patek and told me it would be 2-3 years before I would see this watch. I trust them as I've bought many hard to get watches as one if their good customers (PAM 507 & 508)

I called around to out of states ADs looking for the 5726 before I found the one locally, and all of them did not have one in stock and said it's difficult to aquire.

This would be my first Patek and although I have spend more on only one other watch I have, not sure if I can justify the $44k price tag plus the taxes.

Has others who have wanted this watch experienced the same challenge with availability?

I love the watch, there's a simplisty to this gorgeous looking complicated watch and I understand the band to be extremely comfortable.

Thanks for again for the feedback.
It is always hard when you are purchasing your first Patek. You like the watch, but then you have your doubts as to if you are purchasing the right watch at the right price.

With any watch purchase at this price level, take your time if you are not 100% sure. If you pass on this offer from your AD, another opportunity will come up later and you will have learned more about the watch, the brand and market pricing.

There is another recent thread about the 5726/1A from a couple of weeks ago and you should read the thread just FYI. But basically to summarize the other thread, if you like the Nautilus and you find the Annual Calendar useful, the 5726 is a nice watch.

There is a lot of "groupthink" in watch forums. Listen to people's opinions and suggestions, but definitely make your own decision as you will be the one wearing the watch.

Keep in mind there is always market demand and supply. A watch can have low demand and low supply, high demand and low supply, etc. Just because a watch is not always "available" doesn't mean it is (or is not) a desirable watch.

IMO the 5726/1A is not a "high demand" watch. I would aim to get the price down to under $40K USD for a new watch from an AD and in the mid-$30K's for a pre-owned watch in excellent condition. You may or may not get it at these prices, but use it as a price target.

Best of luck in your decision!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 11:35 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Ok since you are from the US of A, I would not pay retail plus tax for this particular Nautilus, I love it, had the grey on strap for a while, should have taken the bracelet version, but in the US I have seen members here find 5711's and 5167's just by calling AD's, so paying retwil for one which is much easier to find is a big NO NO in my book, look at the prices for it on Chrono24, and go from that price point on your negociation, but by no means pay retail, you would be crazy to pay full price, if your regular AD can't get one then go grey market
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 01:52 PM   #23
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It is always hard when you are purchasing your first Patek. You like the watch, but then you have your doubts as to if you are purchasing the right watch at the right price.

With any watch purchase at this price level, take your time if you are not 100% sure. If you pass on this offer from your AD, another opportunity will come up later and you will have learned more about the watch, the brand and market pricing.

There is another recent thread about the 5726/1A from a couple of weeks ago and you should read the thread just FYI. But basically to summarize the other thread, if you like the Nautilus and you find the Annual Calendar useful, the 5726 is a nice watch.

There is a lot of "groupthink" in watch forums. Listen to people's opinions and suggestions, but definitely make your own decision as you will be the one wearing the watch.

Keep in mind there is always market demand and supply. A watch can have low demand and low supply, high demand and low supply, etc. Just because a watch is not always "available" doesn't mean it is (or is not) a desirable watch.

IMO the 5726/1A is not a "high demand" watch. I would aim to get the price down to under $40K USD for a new watch from an AD and in the mid-$30K's for a pre-owned watch in excellent condition. You may or may not get it at these prices, but use it as a price target.

jon_jon's comments are absolutely spot on - 100% agree.
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 03:56 PM   #24
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

All. Great Freedback. I really appreciate the comments. I'm actually going to see the preowned 5726, at $36k, seems as if I can't get too hurt. BTW, I am on the list for the 5711, was told I'd see it this year.
Old 2 March 2017, 12:06 AM   #25
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

5726 was my first PP. I really enjoy owning this watch. I don't wear it as often as I'd like, mainly because I can no longer see the dial without my reading glasses. Really sucks to finally be able to afford a nice watch and not be able to even see it without cheaters.

As others have said though, buy it if you love it. Don't be overly concerned with demand. Also, do not purchase without a discount of some sort.
Old 2 March 2017, 07:16 AM   #26
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Do you still have your 5496? If so, would you mind posting a few more pictures? How does it wear with the bezel, larger or smaller than 39.5? Thanks!
Old 2 March 2017, 08:27 AM   #27
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I think the 5396 is a near perfect watch, but I prefer other variations of the Nautilus slightly more.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 08:34 AM   #28
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I'd agree, but getting hold of one at list isn't necessarily easy.

5726 is a really nice watch - I owned one for a while - but if you take it, do try to buy it "right" in case you decide it isn't for you long term. They aren't hot sellers when it comes time to for resale.

I ended up with the 5711 - just liked the simplicity and thinner case for wearing to the office...and the blue dial
WAK4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 01:46 AM   #29
Jkwino
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I very much agree with the above having been through the same emotions of model and price. I called all over Europe and then specifically the UK to find my watch. I was looking for three models and in the end when I found a 5711/1r in Hong Kong at a good price it still took a couple days to pull the trigger.

Don't rush the process of research and deciding what you want- I really enjoyed it.

And... if you want to call around England, those are the best prices and I can pick it up for you.... VAT back plus currency delta makes a huge savings.

Justin
Jkwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 10:26 AM   #30
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

understated....speechless once is on the wrist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3153.jpg (57.9 KB, 330 views)
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote