The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 December 2008, 02:56 AM   #1
valenciajewelers

Jean Lassale?

We got this watch in for repairs and for the life of me I can't find anything about the watch. Which mean, I have no clue where to get parts. We thought this watch was made by Seiko? But, I read that Jean Lassale started back up. So I'm not sure who made this model. Nor, does there seem to be a website for them either.

Any help would be appreciated. We need the missing button and stem.

Thanks in advance.

Here's pics of the watch.

Jean Lassale Thalassa Chronograph

Case back #'s

7A74 018

valenciajewelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Um, if you're referring to movement parts, wouldn't it just be best to open up the caseback and see what movement is in there? A stem would be matched to the movement, but a crown... wow... difficult.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 01:30 AM   #3
valenciajewelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Um, if you're referring to movement parts, wouldn't it just be best to open up the caseback and see what movement is in there? A stem would be matched to the movement, but a crown... wow... difficult.
Well this is a chronograph button. The actual stem would be found with the movement number. But, the buttons go with the case.
valenciajewelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Ohhhhh-kay... but yeah, button... might have to do a Patek and fabricate one

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Watch: Obvious really !
Icon15 A somewhat rather belated reply

Hi from a newbie to TRF.

This is my first post, which is probably going to qualify for some kind of record for a belated bump / reply to an old non-Rolex thread.

I read the forum rules before I signed up, and did specifically note these parts:

1. Do not post links to or URLs for sites where watches or related items are offered for sale, or to sites offering watch discussion.

Please bear in mind that these are only guidelines; there is always a "grey area" and we understand that. Use your best judgment.

The reason I signed up to TRF was specifically to reply to this thread, and also to thank the OP for giving me the incentive to do my own investigations into the watch.

You've probably got to know the Seiko 7Axx 15J quartz calibers well, if not fairly intimately, as I do,
to even begin to try to identify the origins of this watch. I'm pretty much there now, I think.

Best I can tell is that the movement, just as the OP had originally suspected, is a form of Seiko 7Axx - the 7A74A.
Effectively it was a lightly modified Seiko 7A34A movement - fitted with a different date wheel, a gold anodized back-plate ....
and signed Jean Lassale Inc. .... and apparently could be (and was) stamped either 'JAPAN' or 'SWISS'.

The case and bracelet were presumably of Swiss origin, produced or sourced by Seiko's subsidiary Jean Lassale Inc., based in Geneva.

Bearing in mind Rule #1, and the 'best judgement' rider ....
Here is a link, to where I have written up my research into this watch on my own forum:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...e-missing-7axx

If a moderator feels this is not in the sprit of / and / or a deliberate and direct breach of TWF rules, please delete the link.

Instead, to find and read the thread, all you need to do is google either:

Jean Lassale Thalassa quartz chronograph or Lassale 7A74 to find it.

I hope you (or anyone else interested) enjoys the read. More to follow soon. :wink:
Seiko7A38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Were you referring to the crown 'stem' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenciajewelers View Post
Well this is a chronograph button. The actual stem would be found with the movement number. But, the buttons go with the case.
I can't help you with the chronograph pusher (though I suspect you probably will have sourced something by now).

But assuming this watch uses a 0.8mm Ø threaded crown stem (as opposed to 0.9mm), then Seiko part number 0354728 (as used on the 7A34) will be a suitable replacement.
Old 28 April 2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Thanks !

Just a quick note to than the TRF moderator team for having allowed my first post to stand un-edited - complete with link to the thread on my own website.

If you've read through my lengthy 'voyage of discovery', so far, you'll possibly understand why I took the easy route, rather than copying chunks of it over to TRF.

The thread idn't quite finished yet.

Within the next week or so, I hope to be able to post some sharper photos ....

Showing the Seiko / Jean Lassale 7A74 movement:

with 'SWISS' stamped, where this other one has 'JAPAN':

Which begs some interesting questions.
Old 6 May 2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Icon4 Bombshell dropped !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post

The thread isn't quite finished yet.

Within the next week or so, I hope to be able to post some sharper photos ....

Showing the Seiko / Jean Lassale 7A74 movement ....

with 'SWISS' stamped, where this other one has 'JAPAN'.

Which begs some interesting questions.
Apart from some additional photos (besides the actual ones I was waiting for), which may or may not materialize, but either way would have no impact on my conclusions ....

The thread is now as complete as I'm likely to ever get it.

It's become a very long read over the last week, but if you take the trouble to wade through it, contains some very interesting revelations (IMHO):

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...e-missing-7axx
Old 15 August 2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Icon1 More on the Thalassa 7A74 if anyone's interested

As another belated footnote to this thread (both as an addition to my collection, and in the name or research) ....
A couple of months later, after some deliberation, I relented, and bought myself a Jean Lassale Thalassa 7A74.
It's the 'Poor Man's version, in all stainless steel, rather than a two-tone 18K and stainless - a 7A74-017:

It was interesting (and pretty fiddly) partially dismantling it to give it a fettling, and now I understand how easily the watch that the OP had taken in for repairs had lost a pusher.

I have also come pretty close to proving that Jean Lassale SA (based in Carouge rather than 'Geneva') and Seiko's own Swiss operation were one and the same company. They certainly shared the same Japanese CEO, Yasunori Hagiwara, up until 2003.

If you want to read more (plus there are loads more photos), I started a second 7A74 thread:
http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums...74-chronograph
Old 15 August 2012, 03:55 AM   #10
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Hmm. My most recent post in this thread, earlier today, seems to have disappeared into the ether.
Or perhaps it's awaiting approval by the moderators again ?
Old 15 August 2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Seiko7A38
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Something really weird is happening here

Quote:
Seiko7A38
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.
OK, that's confirmed, then.
But why am I showing as 'offline', when I'm obviously logged in - and posting (to no effect).

H-E-L-P !!!!