The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2006, 02:50 AM   #1
New Buyer
"TRF" Member

How long to wind perpetual watch in auto-winding box?

I will be picking up one of those auto-winder boxes to store my watch in.
They have many settings and you obvisouly don't want it spinning 24/7, that would eventually prematurely wear your watch out.

What is the recommened time needed to keep your Rolex wound? Is it so many minutes/day or is it a few times a week?
New Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 03:25 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Rolex watches need 650 - 750 Turns in Both directions daily.To keep them fully wound ,you cannot over wind your watch,when fully wound a slipping clutch prevents from over-winding either on wrist or on winder.If your winder has different settings try the 5 min or 10 Min setting first, what this basically means that the watch will be turned clock and anti clockwise 5-10 mins every hour,or if it has auto leave it on that

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 05:43 AM   #3
New Buyer
"TRF" Member

Thank you, I know you can not over wind the watch but leaving on 24/7 would mean that the "slip clutch" would be slipping all the time and causing nedless wear in an auto winder.

5-10 min/day sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Old 11 May 2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I think you would be replacing your wrist befor you would replace the "slip clutch" in your Rolex and I mean that! Since you have yet to get an auto winder do you have more than one automatic watch?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 10:45 AM   #5
New Buyer
"TRF" Member

No I just have the one watch for now. The issue is that I wear a differnt watch for my work durning the weekdays. I wear my Rolex on weekends. It always runs down to a stop and I just have to manually reset the time, reset the date and wind it up. With an auto winder, I can store it in there and it can automatically spin 10min/day. That way it is ready to go on special events, just grab it and go.
Old 11 May 2006, 10:55 AM   #6
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
If it does not have a program it runs you can use an appliance timer to regulate how much it turns per day. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard, New Buyer!

Just one thing you might want to consider. If you wear your watch every day, you will probably need to service it once every five years or so, to compensate for the wear and tear on the moving parts. However, if you wear your watch only on weekends, that's one-half of the wear and tear (given that the movement takes another day or so to run out of power), and so you can extend your service periods.

Why would you want to increase the wear on your watch when you're not wearing it?
Old 11 May 2006, 11:23 AM   #8
New Buyer
"TRF" Member

There are evenings out that I just grab it and go. I'm not used to picking up a watch I set down 5 days ago and have it dead. I pop it on and out I go and it isn't until I need to know what time it is that I see it has stopped.

No big deal. I figure if you can not afford to have the watch serviced once every 5-10 years then you shouldn't have purchased the watch in the first place :)
Old 11 May 2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it's all right if you're on your first one, I suppose. Once your collection grows, though, keeping them all running at the same time is going to be a problem.
Old 11 May 2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I think you missed the 10 minute thing.
It is NOT 10 minutes per day, It twists the watch every 5 or 10 minutes through out the day to keep it wound.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 05:11 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Here's the best autobox winder...it's natural and, best of all, it's FREE!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

And there I was thinking you preferred to strap them on your sheep before you chased them around.
Old 12 May 2006, 05:29 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
And there I was thinking you preferred to strap them on your sheep before you chased them around.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote