The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2019, 02:37 PM   #1
blada4life
"TRF" Member

116520 Daytona etched crown off center

Hi all

I acquired my Daytona in 2015 as pre owned but with some stickers still on. When I inspected it it looked practically unworn. Admittedly, I was still new to Rolex and it was my first watch so I didn’t know everything to look for. The grey I bought it from was somewhat known so there was a level of trust involved. Fast forward 4 years I have acquired other pieces and have become much more educated. I have checked out my Daytona in the last year and it all seemed fine. The bezel is slightly off center but it’s a known issue so I didn’t think much of it.

Recently, I acquired a 30x and 60x loupe. Using the 60x with led light you can see that the etched crown on the crystal is off center. It appears closer to over the 100 in the bezel. I am pretty sure I checked this when I acquired it and didn’t notice anything of it. I’m not entirely sure if my eyes are deceiving me as the 60x is a small hole on the loupe and it’s very hard to get the right angle with the led. The only time I have taken this watch in was to a RSC to get it checked after a car accident. They brought it back out and told me it timed well and didn’t need a service. Doubt in 10 min anything was removed and put back other than my bracelet. Watch has checked out fine and they gave me a printout with a quote for service with my serial and watch details so I didn’t think anything of it.

Is this a common issue with the etching? Has anyone seen this before? Pics attached. In one you can see the coronet at the 7 o clock mark. Curious if I was sold a repaired watch etc. there is nothing else that raises suspicion unless I’m under the 60x zoom where I can see some light grease etc. the watch was from 2015, has the blue lume and came with box and papers from 2015. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit. Attached a pic of the visible crown. I don’t recall it being like this before. How easy would it have been for the crystal to turn on its own or from impact etc?
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
My advice is don't look at the watch with a 60X magnification loupe.

Get a scanning electron microscope you will then be able to see defects at a molecular level.

Good grief.
Old 28 August 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
This is when any loupe high magnification, can and will be a Rolex owners worst enemy, and with the LEC on watches with no date its not always perfectly lined up thats if its got to be lined up with anything.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:52 PM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
If you buy grey you are never 100% sure of the history of the watch .Even at 2.5x MRSP .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:55 PM   #5
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
That's interesting. Never seen one which the etching so off-center.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Yep, only look at anything at normal resolution, I get this in photography, people zooming in to 2:1,4:1 or 8:1 and claiming that this lens isn't as sharp as that lens, or the resolution on this camera is better than another camera, yet when you look at the image at 1:1 or as a A3 print there is no difference between lenses or camera resolution.

Macro shots are fascinating to look at but all they show is what the human eye cannot see normally, so if you use macro or close-up loupes then be prepared to be shocked, not just at the dial of your watch but at many other things that you view, go and look at the poor standard of finishing on a diamond ring or necklace when viewed at 4:1 on a macro lens, you would swear that it wasn't worth a $1.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
The crystal has been taken off at some point. Check with your loupe if it is a service crystal or not.
Old 28 August 2019, 08:48 PM   #8
spacedinvader
"TRF" Member

My only concern would be that it’s indicative of the crystal (and bezel etc) not being properly fixed and that it had rotated. If that wasn’t the case and it had just been fitted like that I’d appreciate it as a cool idiosyncrasy.
spacedinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:01 PM   #9
blada4life
"TRF" Member

I did some research on this issue and it seems that no date watches from Rolex can have off center LECs, even as far left as that way. There have been reports of having a coronet even elsewhere. Guess Rolex doesn’t/didn’t exactly care to line it up when there is no date window.

It’s not a service crystal, it definitely looks factory and has a standard coronet. I compared the coronet to my other rolexes. I guess likely just the way it came from the factory.

Wasn’t concerned about what else I saw with the loupe because at 10x it looked flawless, but I was concerned about the LEC only. The seller has a good reputation and Rolex didn’t identify any aftermarket or incorrect parts when I took it in.

Old 28 August 2019, 09:33 PM   #10
ruffa
"TRF" Member

That seemed a bit too far off to me. Rolex wouldn’t let this pass if it was their work.
ruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:03 PM   #11
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Is there anything worse than these incessant “I looked at my watch with a loupe” threads?!?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:06 PM   #12
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Looks fine to me! Seems that the Chrono hand is a bit off! I wouldn’t worry about it, perfection doesn’t exist in our world!
Old 29 August 2019, 12:36 AM   #13
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Is there anything worse than these incessant “I looked at my watch with a loupe” threads?!?

Definitely not worse than the “can anyone ID the watch he’s wearing” threads that you’ve started. :)

In any case, my post was not about the experience but a question about the LEC, which is something you can see without a loupe as well.

Old 29 August 2019, 02:13 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The crystal is the same no matter how it is placed on the case.

If you are really concerned with the aesthetics, you can take it in and have a watchmaker remove the crystal and re-set it.

We have been discussing the coronet being located anywhere on non-cyclops crystals ever since they came out.
Old 29 August 2019, 02:29 AM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
Definitely not worse than the “can anyone ID the watch he’s wearing” threads that you’ve started. :)

In any case, my post was not about the experience but a question about the LEC, which is something you can see without a loupe as well.

Lol....I would have to agree the crystal might have been taken off at one point and replaced off center...but with a like new watch that seem a bit weird... it’s an aph dial By the way...should be in the production range of 2011-2015. What year is on the warranty card? I ask because if someone did piece it together that might be a clue
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #16
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Lol....I would have to agree the crystal might have been taken off at one point and replaced off center...but with a like new watch that seem a bit weird... it’s an aph dial By the way...should be in the production range of 2011-2015. What year is on the warranty card? I ask because if someone did piece it together that might be a clue

I believe warranty card is from 2015. I looked at my photos when I bought it and looks like it may have been 2016, around the time the new ceramic Daytona’s came out and dealers were still selling these off for a good price.

Old 29 August 2019, 02:57 AM   #17
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
My advice is don't look at the watch with a 60X magnification loupe.

Get a scanning electron microscope you will then be able to see defects at a molecular level.

Good grief.
best post in this thread. Putting your watch under a 60x loupe? absolutely hilarious.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:29 AM   #18
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

I'm willing to bet the crystal was removed and refitted from an unauthorized Rolex watchsmith. Rolex is too precise of a brand; they would not allow for the LEC to be off 6 oclock, let alone, any random spot. For what reason, God knows... it could've been from a bezel replacement or dial swap. I would check to make sure the warranty card states white dial. Also check the subdial hands with your loupe for any markings.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #19
Bigblu10
Banned

Throw the loupes away in the trash and learn to enjoy the watch with your naked eyes.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #20
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

I bought my 116713 used from C&C. I realized a few weeks ago that my crystal wasn't put on 100% center after they cleaned the watch prior to selling it (atleast thats my assumption.) In turn my LEC is also slightly off center.

Its the most minor thing, but I do plan to have Rolliworks recenter my glass eventually - only because I'd like the date to be centered.
Omega Speedmaster Chronoscope 329.30.43.51.03.001
Notsoprobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:37 AM   #21
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Throw the loupes away in the trash and learn to enjoy the watch with your naked eyes.
I don't know about that, I would be pretty upset if I found out the watch was tinkered with so early in its life. 2015 is still very young to be serviced unless something really bad happened. Even so, an RSC would not allow the crystal's LEC be placed at random.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:44 AM   #22
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

I put myself under a 60x loupe and boy did I look terrible.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:46 AM   #23
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
I put myself under a 60x loupe and boy did I look terrible.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:52 AM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The crystal is the same no matter how it is placed on the case.

If you are really concerned with the aesthetics, you can take it in and have a watchmaker remove the crystal and re-set it.

We have been discussing the coronet being located anywhere on non-cyclops crystals ever since they came out.
Agreed, I would be far more concerned about why the watch was opened and the crystal reset, rather than the location of the etching.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:00 AM   #25
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
I mean if you don't at some point look at your watch under a loupe I would argue to why you are buying such an expensive piece without truly checking it out or knowing what you are buying!

Without people checking out things under a loupe we wouldn't have all the ways to verify a fake versus authentic watch.
watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:02 AM   #26
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I’m returning my Daytona. So many flaws when I put it under an electron microscope :)
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:05 AM   #27
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOac View Post
I'm willing to bet the crystal was removed and refitted from an unauthorized Rolex watchsmith. Rolex is too precise of a brand; they would not allow for the LEC to be off 6 oclock, let alone, any random spot. For what reason, God knows... it could've been from a bezel replacement or dial swap. I would check to make sure the warranty card states white dial. Also check the subdial hands with your loupe for any markings.
Agreed my guess is the crystal was taken off, and either replaced, or not put back on properly.
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:11 AM   #28
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Thanks for the thread OP. Another thing to look out for if buying used.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:14 AM   #29
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This is when any loupe high magnification, can and will be a Rolex owners worst enemy, and with the LEC on watches with no date its not always perfectly lined up thats if its got to be lined up with anything.
Exactly this
Old 29 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #30
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post

Ha! Touché my friend.

Good clean fun.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote