The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Daytona Clasp. New or Old?

How many of you daytona owners would prefer the new or old clasp and why?

Knowing how most people doesn't like changes in any Rolex models.(I love my old oyster clasp to bits). Are there any reason to pay extra $$$$ for the new clasp over the old one?
Old 5 April 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
The new clasp is far more superior and is an engineering marvel! I ve it on my gmt and can say its a piece of art by itself.

rajurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
at7724
"TRF" Member

I had the option of both. I chose the older one because it fit better and I personally thought it looked better.
I have been told by the AD and folks on this forum there is no difference in strength/durability/quality. So pick-um. I have had no regrets.
at7724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
doesn't matter to me as long as i get my daytona. have been told that my daytona (which is on the way since Jan 2009!) is the new clasp. can't wait till i get my hands on it.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Atomant
"TRF" Member

I'm not too sure of getting a Daytona but I got the option of either the new or old clasp.
Old 5 April 2009, 10:00 PM   #6
"TRF" Member

Personally I prefer the old one. Tried the new one on the GMTIIC the other day at an AD and think that is quite a 'wow' design but the old one just fits my wrist better.
1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
forza1976
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
I'm not too sure of getting a Daytona but I got the option of either the new or old clasp.
If you have the option of both, just go check them out. Only you can make the decision of what you like. The last thing on my mind was the clasp when I bought my Daytona.
forza1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Randy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Panerai
I prefer the old clasp, and its a bit smaller in size.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The old clasp is a work of art..

It.... is the engineering marvel.......

The new clasp is the same clasp design that you can find on the rest of the Rolex line-up, and will become the standard..
Old 7 April 2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Klokke

Older clasp is better.

I've written this on other threads but the issue seems to keep coming up.

Older clasp is I feel is better if you can find it on a new SS Daytona.
Z Daytonas are the oldest of the most recent series, then came M, and V started appearing in late 2008.

The clasp is the only difference among these series. The bracelets are identical. The Zs come only with the older 78490 clasp. Early Ms had the older clasp and but some later M series Daytonas have the new 78590 clasp. We have also seen some of the most current V series with the older 78490 clasp and there are also Vs with the new clasp. Anyone care to speculate as to what Rolex is up to with the clasps on the Daytona? Seems like they can't make up their minds.

At any rate, I own Rolex watches with both clasps and both are the the best clasps Rolex has ever made. But the 78490 is better -- especially on the Daytona. The older clasp on the Daytona (78490) feels more secure and robust but is also more elegant and simple. The inner folding elements are sculpted and tapered and polished unlike those in the newer clasp (78590) which have a very thin middle portion and fat edges. These same elements are nicely engraved on the wrist side on the older clasp and appear cheaply printed/scored on the newer clasp and face away from the wrist.

When closed on the wrist, the older 78490 clasp is more comfortable and appears smaller and more proportional than the longer, bulkier 78590 found on the GMT II-C and newest Daytonas.

The older clasp has a pressure fit round snap closure with no moving parts to fail. It closes/opens with an audible snap. Some complained that this design made it hard to open and is likely why the newer GMT II-C 78590 clasp with its spring-loaded mechanism to make it easier to open is now on the Daytona. Springs can fail and get lost. The older Daytona clasp is not hard to open. I've seen 4 year old do it.

Both clasps have a "swing-out" or "flip-lock" adjustment feature, but neither have the "GLIDELOCK" mechanism found on the SDDS clasp. The hinge pin of the 78490 outer flip-lock goes all the way through and, while this makes the hinge pin visible if you look very closely, it also makes the hinge stronger. The 78590 has a hidden hinge pin. I believe the Rolex crown on the newer clasp is slightly larger/constructed differently and overhangs a bit.

A lot of these differences in the clasps involve personal preference and almost everyone would agree that the differences are much much fewer than the similarities. It's hard to see why it would be worth paying about 10% more for the GMT II-C style clasp on a new Daytona when the older Daytona clasp is certainly as good and arguably better. However, you may soon have no choice as Rolex appears to be standardizing on the newer 78590 clasp which debuted on the GMT-II C. This might make the 78490 Daytona clasp something of a rarity in a short time.

And one has to agree that it's more than a little disappointing that Rolex would give up the sturdier, higher-quality, and more elegant 78490 design just to standardize on the 78590 across (non-diving) sport models and lower their costs while, at the same time, RAISING the price to the customer.

But in the end the two clasps aren't really so different. Only a WIS like the folks here would notice. Don't sweat it. Enjoy your 78590 if you have one or plan to buy one. It's a great clasp. I'm not saying I'd pay extra to swap a 78590 that I already owned for a 78490. Just saying the prospective buyer should know that the older 78490 is actually a bit better and costs less.

Finally, watch out for ADs who try sell a new SS Daytona with the older 78490 clasp at the new higher price (which applies only to new SS Daytonas with the 78590 clasp). This is hopefully rare, but some forum members have reported some ADs attempting this and have gotten refunds for the price difference after confronting the AD about it. And make sure the part numbers on the Rolex warranty card match the parts on the watch you are buying.
Klokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 08:21 AM   #11
PalmSpringsCaVault

Watch: Plat.118296DayDate
pleaese someone post some good pics of the clasps, also is the newer style clasp the same on the daytona / president and datejust they all apear similar to me altho i havent had them all right next to each other at the same time.
PalmSpringsCaVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 08:30 AM   #12
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
i like the older clasp as well very unique and not common amongst the pro line. I personally like the way the older clasp felt.

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSpringsCaVault View Post
pleaese someone post some good pics of the clasps, also is the newer style clasp the same on the daytona / president and datejust they all apear similar to me altho i havent had them all right next to each other at the same time.
PalmSpringsCaVault, there is a search function on this forum for pictures of Daytona clasps. But someone, please post some nice pics of the new and old Daytona clasps for comparison in this thread please!!
Old 7 April 2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Check the Daytona stuff in the Reference Library..
Old 7 April 2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Check the Daytona stuff in the Reference Library..
Larry I already did. Great posts.

Particularly the comparison between Speedmaster and Daytona which is my favourite

Here is the link. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=40615

And the report on Daytona itself.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=33564

I can only wish there are more writings like these.
Old 7 April 2009, 02:05 PM   #16
Ronnie Rolex

Watch: SS-P YM
I have the new GMTIIC clasp and an M class Daytona with the "hole" in the clasp (ie, older model).

At first I thought the Daytona clasp would be a better fit since the exterior clasp is shorter. However, the underlying "wing" seems like it is the same length as the GMTII "wing." Therefore, I can't say for certain if one is more comfortable than the other. They both feel the same to me. The Daytona is a lighter watch, I think, so its an easier wearing watch.

I love them both so it makes no difference to me. If there is a $500 difference in price between the new clasp and old clasp on the Daytona its a no brainer for me, after all, Old Guys Rule!
Ronnie Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2009, 08:40 PM   #17
handdoc
"TRF" Member

i purposely chose the older clasp based on the info provided in the forum as well as by sellers
handdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #18
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Old thread, but new question (at least for me).

Does the old style clasp have the easylink extension as well?
Old 15 February 2020, 12:57 PM   #19
jerryhum
"TRF" Member

Watch: ✓
I prefer the older clasp if it’s steel and newer clasp if it’s PM. The older one is lighter and more comfortable. The newer clasp in PM gives you more PM and sounds better when it snaps.
jerryhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:27 PM   #20
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Prefer the newer clasp. Feels more solid, and more heft, especially on PM model. The SS feels too light to begin with.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 06:15 PM   #21
EmilioNew
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this but i am interested in buying the new daytona 116500LN clasp for a steel model.
EmilioNew is offline   Reply With Quote