The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 May 2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Apex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex 16660, well worn, not refinished, snow dial.

I have a customer that wants to sell me this watch not refinished and he called it a snow dial just not sure what it is worth any help would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (240.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 2.jpg (233.9 KB, 503 views)
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 09:26 AM   #2
dricig
"TRF" Member

Signs of corrosion on the other parts seems to point to a water damage dial.
a lot depends on price.
I would not pay a premium for this "snow Dial.
I think a discount would be more in line.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 09:35 AM   #3
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Looks like a damaged dial to me, what’s going on with the 6 marker?
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
this watch simply looks thrashed.

Every Rolex is worth something, but just because it has had zero care or maintenance doesn't make it special. If I'm buying, I would put this one at the bottom of the expected market value for other similar SD's
Old 17 May 2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Woody
"TRF" Member

If the price was right (read "low" as stated by Tools) then it would be of interest to me as a suitable watch for restoration by RSC. I would have the dial, handset, bezel ring etc all replaced along with a new bracelet, case refinish etc. Hearsay to many on this forum, but I think you would then have a good daily wearer with a classic look. Ultimately you would have more money in the watch than it would be worth if sold on, but those issues are of no relevance to me.......but might be to you.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 04:38 PM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
With a dial and hands like that I would expect the movement to be quite corroded.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:24 PM   #7
sangamo
"TRF" Member

This watch has seen better days!
sangamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:36 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I will give a slightly different perspective on this. While many members of this forum like to mock dials like this, the truth is that there are buyers for them, and dealers often sell them at something of a premium. And there's nothing wrong with that, some people like unusual dials, even if they are damaged. Similarly, some members of the forum speak dismissively of watches with service replacement parts, but there are also buyers for those watches. Either way is fine, and a matter of personal taste.

So IMO, there is someone out there who will like that dial, but putting a price on it is very tricky. Also, as mentioned above, if the damage is due to water intrusion, there could be significant costs associated with movement repair. And unless you have an independent watchmaker to do the repairs, you would send it to Rolex; they will replace the dial and hands, and the watch will go from a collectible piece with appeal to a specialized market to a nice daily-wear watch.

So anyway, it's complicated, and difficult to put a value on. It depends whether you love the watch and want to have it restored for yourself, if you would be looking to flip the watch, or if you would want to send it to Rolex to have the dial and hands replaced with new ones. Any one of these options is fine, but the price would dictate which of the three would make sense. What would you plan to do with it if you bought it? And if you shared the asking price, we could probably give you better advice. If it's low enough, then it would be a no brainer. But if the seller is putting a high value on it because of the dial (which I suspect to be the case, since he gave it a special name), then unless you really love it, it's probably not a good gamble.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #9
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I will give a slightly different perspective on this. While many members of this forum like to mock dials like this, the truth is that there are buyers for them, and dealers often sell them at something of a premium. And there's nothing wrong with that, some people like unusual dials, even if they are damaged. Similarly, some members of the forum speak dismissively of watches with service replacement parts, but there are also buyers for those watches. Either way is fine, and a matter of personal taste.

So IMO, there is someone out there who will like that dial, but putting a price on it is very tricky. Also, as mentioned above, if the damage is due to water intrusion, there could be significant costs associated with movement repair. And unless you have an independent watchmaker to do the repairs, you would send it to Rolex; they will replace the dial and hands, and the watch will go from a collectible piece with appeal to a specialized market to a nice daily-wear watch.

So anyway, it's complicated, and difficult to put a value on. It depends whether you love the watch and want to have it restored for yourself, if you would be looking to flip the watch, or if you would want to send it to Rolex to have the dial and hands replaced with new ones. Any one of these options is fine, but the price would dictate which of the three would make sense. What would you plan to do with it if you bought it? And if you shared the asking price, we could probably give you better advice. If it's low enough, then it would be a no brainer. But if the seller is putting a high value on it because of the dial (which I suspect to be the case, since he gave it a special name), then unless you really love it, it's probably not a good gamble.
Well said...
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:49 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
As Tools mentioned, the watch is thrashed and the value is a "no brainer." Like anything collectable, I'm sure there is a buyer somewhere for this watch but based on my experience of collecting Rolex for a few decades now, that in no way equates to a premium price due to its damaged dial and hands, ratty insert and case.

The dial and "gold surrounds marker" era of this Sea-Dweller indicates that original parts could be fairly easily sourced and wouldn't take much to get this old, classic diver back to a presentable condition.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:50 AM   #11
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Ah yes. Another premium for a damaged dial marketed with a nice sounding description...
I would pass on this. 16660 can be found in much better conditions.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:50 AM   #12
Apex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Asking Price

Quote:

The seller wants $8000
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 04:58 AM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

A nice spider dial is attractive....that is damage....no good
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 08:38 AM   #14
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hard to argue the basis of this as the "tropical" dial was also partly created via moisture.

Nonetheless, I think this watch is very obviously water damaged. I think we have to categorise the different types of dial separately. This isn't the same as a tropical dial or a spider dial. Discount for sure. The asking $8K is top of the range IMHO
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 02:30 PM   #15
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Rolex 16660, well worn, not refinished, snow dial.

I wouldn’t allow a damaged dial to increase the price of the watch. Amazing the marketing techniques used to get people to part with their money.

I appreciate a natural patina effect that occurs from using the watch as intended and it develops that unique character that differentiates it from the rest. But damage? That’s different in my opinion

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 18 May 2020, 06:58 PM   #16
colpol
"TRF" Member

Snow dial
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #17
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Wow. $8k? I own two of these SDs. I bought one new in 2005. The price was $4700 at tourneau at the time. I traded in a 16750 and they gave me$2800 for it(roast me). I also bought one 2 years ago from HQmilton for about 5800. They sell for maybe $1000 more these days. So, $8k for that is quite an insult from a seller.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 05:01 AM   #18
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Woah, I've never seen a dial turn that way.
ocN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Another one, for 25k euro - ''rare stardust dial'' . Until 2-3 years no one used or made up these ridiculous names.

https://www.chrono24.nl/rolex/sea-dw...id14004037.htm
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 06:36 AM   #20
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
The 6 marker is so misaligned it looks like its trying to escape. And the lume patina of the dial markers doesn't match the hands. Something's fishy.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:00 AM   #21
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
It's a damaged dial. Plain and simple. Call it what you want, ("snow dial" was the best he came up with??), but, if you like it, buy it.
But, I promise you, when you're ready to sell it and you have to answer a bazillion questions, accept low-ball offers, try to explain why the 6 o'clock marker isn't lined up at all what the hell IS going on there), what the watch's history is and how come it looks like that, you are gonna regret ever buying it.
Especially when you grimace while you type the words "snow dial"
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:15 AM   #22
1665fan
"TRF" Member

On the bright side the hands are equally as shitty lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:17 AM   #23
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
On the bright side the hands are equally as shitty lol
Ha! Well-played!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:26 AM   #24
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The infamous Snow Dweller.

Old 19 May 2020, 07:31 AM   #25
Paul
"TRF" Member

Agreed ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Woah, I've never seen a dial turn that way.
I've seen lots of heavy patina dials, I'm strangely drawn them actually (same goes for rat rods and beaten up leather jackets).

I might accept it on an early 60s' dial where paint lacquers did freak out, but I've never seen a 16660 dial go in that direction. Moisture ingress ?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:46 AM   #26
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
The seller wants $8000

No way. Sounds like you own a shop and would probably be looking to resell for a profit. I think you’ll have a vary hard time at that price if that’s the goal.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 01:24 PM   #27
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I mean worst case scenario you could take it to RSC for a service case, service bezel, service insert, service dial, service hands, service bracelet.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:17 PM   #28
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow. The name is appropriate. Someone is getting snowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #29
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
While the pricing may be extreme, the watch, if I was interested or wanted to buy it, would have to be opened up and inspected before I purchased it. If the dial is "damaged" other than like a spider dial, there is or should be a reason and the movement might be compromised. Just have a watchmaker have a good look. My 2 cents.
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote