The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 August 2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Waitlist for new releases

With the upcoming Rolex releases on 9/1, Does anyone have any experience or know what happens to the waitlist?

Does it all reset so those of us who are on the bottom of existing waitlists have an opportunity to get to the top? Do the VIPs still get first choice?

Thanks!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:06 PM   #2
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Does anyone have any experience or know what happens to the waitlist?

Does it all reset so those of us who are on the bottom of existing waitlists have an opportunity to get to the top?

Do the VIPs still get first choice?
Nothing.

No.

Yes.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:06 PM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
What’s getting released? I don’t believe that waiting lists are honored. I suspect rare watches go to high rollers who buy a lot of expensive watches.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

All I know is that a new full PM YG Submariner with green dial/bezel will be released with a new movement.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:12 PM   #5
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
With the upcoming Rolex releases on 9/1, Does anyone have any experience or know what happens to the waitlist?

Does it all reset so those of us who are on the bottom of existing waitlists have an opportunity to get to the top? Do the VIPs still get first choice?

Thanks!

Existing waitlists won’t reset, especially since some of them are 3-5 years...

The waitlist for whatever new versions on 1st Sept will of course go by priority to big spenders. It’s an opportunity for ADs to reward their big spending customers...or attract them to spend even more to get the latest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:34 PM   #6
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Grey dealers will get the first allocation. Second allocation goes to VIPs/preferred customers. Rest will sit in the AD's safe until the grey dealers who got them first are ready for more...
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:38 PM   #7
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_driver View Post
Grey dealers will get the first allocation. Second allocation goes to VIPs/preferred customers. Rest will sit in the AD's safe until the grey dealers who got them first are ready for more...
Old 27 August 2020, 02:56 PM   #8
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Sad but true.

I made a list this week of all my purchases made at my local AD and texted it to him to maybe curry some favor in light of the big unveiling on Tuesday to which he replied with that he was “Looking forward to a new Sub”

Alas leaving out sure “I’ll keep you in mind” or “I’ll text you when we get something in”

We all know why. If not look above. And yes the list was quite long and also quite a lot of money for a mere mortal.
Old 27 August 2020, 03:13 PM   #9
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately what is said is true. You can either choose to support the current market system, buy grey or become
A vip.

Or wait in line watching the eye candy
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:23 PM   #10
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

everyone on top will be on the bottom and vice versa. I will be strolling in on 9/1 and buying the 45mm oysterquartz milsub with orange lume on oysterleather or whatever
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
everyone on top will be on the bottom and vice versa. I will be strolling in on 9/1 and buying the 45mm oysterquartz milsub with orange lume on oysterleather or whatever
Old 27 August 2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Shdrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this
Shdrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:31 PM   #13
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

If the AD doesn't call you and tell you it's waiting for you to come and get it, you are out.

It's essentially too late to get anything new. If you haven't already done the heavy lifting and established a great relationship, you won't be getting any new release from an AD.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
If the AD doesn't call you and tell you it's waiting for you to come and get it, you are out.

It's essentially too late to get anything new. If you haven't already done the heavy lifting and established a great relationship, you won't be getting any new release from an AD.
Have to agree with this. Unless the new models released aren't that special TBH. Then maybe we can al rush the ADs and get our new DJ46

Anyways, hope we can all get what we want soon! Good vibes!
Old 27 August 2020, 03:55 PM   #15
Uggi
Banned

Quote:

Yep that's the hard truth of it.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:56 PM   #16
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:

Thanks!
Let's say there's an AD in a very small town that get Submariners once a month and the first one is coming in 2 weeks. There's currently no waitlist or interest for it.

You walk in as a brand new customer and ask "hey can I get the next submariner coming in?" - AD says sure, I'll write you up on a list, you're on the number #1 spot.

The next day a customer of the AD (has maybe bought 1-2 watches already) walks in, hey can I get the next submariner?

What will happen? They will bump him in front of you.

What happens with the customer that walks in wearing a Platinum Daytona that said he just moved to town, buys a pair of $10k earrings for his wife and asks about the waitlist for the new submariner? - He will now probably jump infront of the entire queue.

Now imagine this on a MUCH MUCH MUCH larger scale.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Ihatecheese
Banned

Think this one has been answered. It's like any in demand reasonably expensive item! Fun times ahead for the eager beavers
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 04:06 PM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Any new releases next week may take some pressure off the existing lists for hard to source models.

Depends on the releases and how good they are.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 04:25 PM   #19
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Nothing.

No.

Yes.
Haha! So funny, yet sad but all true!!! I think all those with a chance of getting something were probably contacted by the AD already with an appointment time to come in on Tuesday.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 04:40 PM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Thanks!
VIPs always get first choice....
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 05:00 PM   #21
Gary.
"TRF" Member

There were some angry people on the list for BLNRs when the old model was cancelled who didn't automatically go on the list for the new model and found themselves starting again.

The short answer to of all the questions is that it depends on your relationship with your AD and it depends on their policy. No doubt some ADs use the model change to clear the decks and concentrate on preferred clients.

If all ADs played it straight, then a Chrono24 search for "BLRO" wouldn't yield 224 results for a watch that they never get in.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 05:17 PM   #22
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
In my experience with the ADs that I have a relationship with, there is no list. They have one, but it means nothing. They rarely go by it. Maybe with watches that no one wants. SS desired watches are at owners discretion on who they go to, what jewelry they buy, gold watches they buy, or a $$$$$ amount above MSRP.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 07:19 PM   #23
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Just to be clear, I am quite familiar with the waitlist list game at ADs having gotten my Rolex/Tudors from the same AD. I bought a SubC in 2010 (in case), a 2019 SS SkyD in black (6 mos wait) and a Tudor BB58 blue (7 day wait) with no other purchase history. I am currently on a waitlist for a Daytona in blk (1yr so far).

As for waitlists, I understand that if Rolex updates the existing SubC LN with a new movement, all the customers on the SubLN waitlist will shift there. However, should Rolex release a new color for the sub, it should create a New list. The LN waitlist doesn’t get automatic placement into the Hulk for example.

So if there is a new color on 9/1, there should be a new list. Obviously, the AD will immediately contact their VIPs and see if they are interested. Assuming no VIP is interested and there are no walk-ins, the new watch should go to whom ever calls in first, second, and so on. This will create a new waitlist, should it not?

I know this is a very simplistic example and that how an actual waitlist is/can be more fluid but do you think that it gives first movers a potential advantage at getting that new Rolex?
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 07:41 PM   #24
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

THIS

Old 27 August 2020, 07:48 PM   #25
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Just to be clear, I am quite familiar with the waitlist list game at ADs having gotten my Rolex/Tudors from the same AD. I bought a SubC in 2010 (in case), a 2019 SS SkyD in black (6 mos wait) and a Tudor BB58 blue (7 day wait) with no other purchase history. I am currently on a waitlist for a Daytona in blk (1yr so far).

As for waitlists, I understand that if Rolex updates the existing SubC LN with a new movement, all the customers on the SubLN waitlist will shift there. However, should Rolex release a new color for the sub, it should create a New list. The LN waitlist doesn’t get automatic placement into the Hulk for example.

So if there is a new color on 9/1, there should be a new list. Obviously, the AD will immediately contact their VIPs and see if they are interested. Assuming no VIP is interested and there are no walk-ins, the new watch should go to whom ever calls in first, second, and so on. This will create a new waitlist, should it not?

I know this is a very simplistic example and that how an actual waitlist is/can be more fluid but do you think that it gives first movers a potential advantage at getting that new Rolex?

Still no.

ADs have no problem hanging on to watches that are in demand.

You may walk in and ask for it, they’ll still say no. The watch never makes it to the display case, it always stays in the back, waiting for that special someone...

I would say the number of watches they keep in the back is probably bigger than the number of watches in display cases. Every now and then when sales are really slow they may throw a Bluesy or an SD to keep the SAs happy but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 07:53 PM   #26
58junior
"TRF" Member

New Releases will appear on eBay at 2-3 times retail before they ever hit the stores.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 07:57 PM   #27
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Nothing.

No.

Yes.
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 08:14 PM   #28
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Your best bet to get a new hot SS release is to walk in, buy all the TT Datejusts in the case and all the expensive overpriced jewelry. At that point the AD will look you square in the eye with a smile on their face and tell you that if you put down a 100% deposit they’ll call you in 4 years when it’s your turn.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 08:16 PM   #29
Pongster
"TRF" Member

There is no real actual waitlist
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 08:18 PM   #30
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

This.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote