The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2020, 12:00 AM   #1
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Rolex OP41 vs Girard Perregaux Laureato

So I had a life milestone recently and decided I'd mark it with a new watch.

This time around I thought I'd explore Rolex more as a brand. I wanted something that could be dressed up and down easily and the Oyster Perpetual stood out to me as a good choice. Not too busy on the dial or hands, clean looking, and even a bit plain compared to my other watches (not a bad thing though).

However I never realised how difficult it would be to get hold of a Rolex. A couple of months before the milestone I decided to figure out where I could buy from, and in my country, nothing available.

Come last week, the new OP 41. Great! Better size for my wrist, easylink clasp! I thought I'd be able to get hold of one now because of more stock. But no such luck. I've seen 2 from going into every AD in Tokyo daily, but these were in dial colours I was not interested in. The others sold out within minutes of arrival apparently.

Because there are no waiting lists here, none of these in a colour I want on the grey market (plus a huge markup if they do), I've slowly started to look at other watches and give up on the idea of an OP. To be honest it's become tiresome trying to get hold of one and putting in the effort.

In the past I'd been interested in the Girard Perregaux Laureato. I can get it at a significantly reduced price on the grey market (AD also offered a big difference, but not enough). I feel like this watch is a bit more on the sporty side and less 'classic' looking than the OP, but I'm seriously thinking about getting the GP now.

Anyone else been in a similar boat as me in terms of just not seeing any hope getting the watch you originally wanted? And ending up with something else? If so, any regrets?
Mutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #2
dmash
"TRF" Member

I’ll say it....the GP is a Royal Oak copy and watch people will always think from a glance ‘is that an AP?’.

I’d go strong OP with this one
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 12:39 AM   #3
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Girard P L looks very similar to AP at the better price. It's dress watch.
Attached Images
File Type: png laureato.png (183.2 KB, 2645 views)
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 12:46 AM   #4
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

It would be this one I'd go for, the one in the previous image I think is a limited edition.

Old 10 September 2020, 02:06 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

These are two very different watches and, even with a discount for the GP, differently priced.

The GP is more interesting and sophisticated (IMO), is better finished and you'll probably never see another "in the wild", but it also will be less of a daily/rough and tumble watch. Depends on what you want.

All things being equal, the Laureato is an easy choice for me as part of a collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I’ll say it....the GP is a Royal Oak copy and watch people will always think from a glance ‘is that an AP?’.

I’d go strong OP with this one
The Laureato is a product of the mid-70s and has a definite place in the history of luxury Swiss sports watches. It is as much a "copy" of the RO as the Nautilus is a "copy" of the RO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 02:31 AM   #6
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Settling may not always make you feel as good as you hoped it would IMO, BUT the Laureato is a fantastic watch. Personally would buy that over the OP, but this is a subjective matter. May also want to try on the new OPs to see if they really give you the warm and fuzzies you hope they do, or it may push you closer to the GP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 03:06 AM   #7
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
Settling may not always make you feel as good as you hoped it would IMO, BUT the Laureato is a fantastic watch. Personally would buy that over the OP, but this is a subjective matter. May also want to try on the new OPs to see if they really give you the warm and fuzzies you hope they do, or it may push you closer to the GP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I've tried on the OP39 red grape, and OP41 in Red and Green. Unfortunately I've not been able to get a hold of any of the colors I'm really interested in.

Of the ones I tried on though, the OP41 fits me well and feels really good on the wrist in terms of comfort. Whenever I try anything on at Rolex it's always the perfect wrist size.

The GP is from a grey market dealer, and has all the links, so unsure exactly how it will feel versus the OP41 until it's fitted (which is basically after buying). I think comfort wise it will be hard to beat the OP41 though for me.

I guess the main problem is I just don't think I can get hold of an OP41 in a color I like. So it's more a case of when to call it quits and move on. Maybe I could revisit Rolex at a time when the demand isn't insane.
Old 10 September 2020, 03:29 AM   #8
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

The GP is more interesting and sophisticated (IMO), is better finished and you'll probably never see another "in the wild", but it also will be less of a daily/rough and tumble watch. Depends on what you want.

All things being equal, the Laureato is an easy choice for me as part of a collection.
These are my thoughts. They both have a place in a collection where the rolex is traditional and the GP a little more unique. In choosing between the two, it's as much about the buyer as it is the watches themselves.
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 03:33 AM   #9
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Laureato is a product of the mid-70s and has a definite place in the history of luxury Swiss sports watches. It is as much a "copy" of the RO as the Nautilus is a "copy" of the RO.
Not at all. Nautilus is a completely different shape, dial pattern is different and the octagonal style bezel is non existent. Nobody says a nautilus ‘looks like an AP’. Practically everybody says that about this watch at first glance, and the RO was released 3 years prior, it’s simply a fact.

Perhaps ‘copy’ wasnt the correct terminology. I’m not saying GP makes shoddy watches or is not a legitimate company, but this model certainly has VERY strong Royal Oak characteristics on multiple fronts. One would have serious trouble denying the resemblance.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:17 PM   #10
seastu
"TRF" Member

I have the GP Laureato 3 hand blue dial. It is a fantastic watch and in my opinion
an incredible value. Fit and finish is superb!!
seastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:23 PM   #11
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of Laureato. Have to go with OP41.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:24 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d prefer the OP but we are kidding ourselves if we deny the GP is a finer watch. Alas sometimes we want beer not champagne.
Old 10 September 2020, 10:57 PM   #13
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Try looking at Omega for a more accessible watches. If you choose GP, buy used or at a BIG discount.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:58 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd never buy a GP, ever.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 01:54 AM   #15
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Interesting, can you expand on why not? I don't think they are worth the asking price but they seem like decent buys on the used front.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 01:58 AM   #16
emtee
"TRF" Member

I tried on the Laureato and thought it was a fantastic watch, the msrp a little high perhaps but when you factor in the grey discount...

I would take it over an OP all day long
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 02:20 AM   #17
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

That's a pretty strong/strange statement coming from you....?
Old 11 September 2020, 02:24 AM   #18
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Not at all. Nautilus is a completely different shape, dial pattern is different and the octagonal style bezel is non existent. Nobody says a nautilus ‘looks like an AP’. Practically everybody says that about this watch at first glance, and the RO was released 3 years prior, it’s simply a fact.

Perhaps ‘copy’ wasnt the correct terminology. I’m not saying GP makes shoddy watches or is not a legitimate company, but this model certainly has VERY strong Royal Oak characteristics on multiple fronts. One would have serious trouble denying the resemblance.
I just don't see it, sorry.

Old 11 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
That's a pretty strong/strange statement coming from you....?
Bland designs + Frederic Piguet based movements = stay away. For me at least.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #20
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

I don't have the experience Bas does and my opinion is just that but I think the Laureato, for like 7k, is a bargain and a better watch than the OP41.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 04:44 AM   #21
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
Rolex easily. If it’s not Rolex it better be Patek. If it’s something affordable Omega/Tudor only.
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 02:39 AM   #22
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

I went for the Laureato in the end.

Tried it on at an AD and it was a night and day difference for me vs the OP41 in terms of small detail finishes. Just generally felt like a much higher price point watch, which I guess makes sense because it is...

One of my main concerns was comfort of the bracelet, as the OP41 felt great when I tried one on (in dial colors that I didn't want to buy). But the Laureato for me is equally as comfortable, if not perhaps more.

I'll probably pick up an OP someday in the future, if the hype train goes away enough that I can realistically get hold of one from an AD. For now my experience with trying to get hold of a Rolex has soured the brand somewhat for me anyway, the service from dealers was far from what I'd expect - although they were only acting on orders from Rolex apparently with the no waiting lists on anything.

Had I not been in Japan and been able to get on a waiting list it may have been a different story, but I'm happy with my new watch :)

Pics below.

Old 12 September 2020, 02:50 AM   #23
emtee
"TRF" Member

Great choice. Congrats!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 03:29 AM   #24
madgpol
"TRF" Member

GP is a stunning watch and looks great on your wrist. At the right price it is very good value for money and not something you will see in the wild. I think you made the right choice
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 03:43 AM   #25
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
Congrats. I have been considering a Laureato in ceramic with skeleton dial. Just cannot stomach the price point when considering other brands and models to be had.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 03:49 AM   #26
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
Congrats. I have been considering a Laureato in ceramic with skeleton dial. Just cannot stomach the price point when considering other brands and models to be had.
I was interested in seeing a ceramic Laureato but the dealer I bought from had none in stock. The skeleton dial looks great, but I have to agree that the price point is high. I have an Oris full skeleton dial watch too at a 10th of the price, but obviously it's not nearly as impressive!
Old 14 November 2020, 09:56 PM   #27
Vanalich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutsu View Post
I went for the Laureato in the end.

Tried it on at an AD and it was a night and day difference for me vs the OP41 in terms of small detail finishes. Just generally felt like a much higher price point watch, which I guess makes sense because it is...

One of my main concerns was comfort of the bracelet, as the OP41 felt great when I tried one on (in dial colors that I didn't want to buy). But the Laureato for me is equally as comfortable, if not perhaps more.

I'll probably pick up an OP someday in the future, if the hype train goes away enough that I can realistically get hold of one from an AD. For now my experience with trying to get hold of a Rolex has soured the brand somewhat for me anyway, the service from dealers was far from what I'd expect - although they were only acting on orders from Rolex apparently with the no waiting lists on anything.

Had I not been in Japan and been able to get on a waiting list it may have been a different story, but I'm happy with my new watch :)

Pics below.

Well, it is absolutely stunning. In terms of comfort, I just tried the blue face Chrono version in the boutique and Rolex DJ41 oyster does not come close.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Vanalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 12:03 PM   #28
Bowtrout
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26300 ST 116500
Great choice! Congrats
Bowtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 12:20 AM   #29
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Hope you're still enjoying the Laureato, it is a beautiful watch.
Old 11 May 2021, 03:45 AM   #30
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
The GP looks like the result of a romantic night between AP and PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote