The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch


ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2009, 09:49 AM   #1
hdixon85
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5
Condensation in Rolex

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice or experience with condensation in the screen of their Rolex.
It's my father's watch, about 7 years old and the dial says Rolex Oyster Precision but I don't know if that is the model or any more than that at the moment. We had a problem with the pin a couple of years ago and it was replaced but apart from that it's worked perfectly until now.
The watch has not been immersed in water or used in the shower and has been in the airing cupboard for 2 days with the dial pin in the 'out' position which has not made any difference to the water droplets on the inner glass so far.
Do you have any reccommendations as to things we can do at home, to be honest it could do with a bit of a clean, but anything else? Also, possible reasons it may have done this? And could this lead to damage/rust, or are the inner workings stainless steel? I have little knowledge of anything watch related so all help appreciated!
I realise it will probably have to go for a service, but I'd at least like to have a bit more info for when I talk to my father about this.
All help, replies and info much appreciated. Thank you.
hdixon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member
 
DRAWTOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Real Name: Mikey Uí Néill
Location: Olden Texas
Watch: 14060M & 16570
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon85 View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has any advice or experience with condensation in the screen of their Rolex.
It's my father's watch, about 7 years old and the dial says Rolex Oyster Precision but I don't know if that is the model or any more than that at the moment. We had a problem with the pin a couple of years ago and it was replaced but apart from that it's worked perfectly until now.
The watch has not been immersed in water or used in the shower and has been in the airing cupboard for 2 days with the dial pin in the 'out' position which has not made any difference to the water droplets on the inner glass so far.
Do you have any reccommendations as to things we can do at home, to be honest it could do with a bit of a clean, but anything else? Also, possible reasons it may have done this? And could this lead to damage/rust, or are the inner workings stainless steel? I have little knowledge of anything watch related so all help appreciated!
I realise it will probably have to go for a service, but I'd at least like to have a bit more info for when I talk to my father about this.
All help, replies and info much appreciated. Thank you.
She needs to go to the shop... now! Rust aint no good!
DRAWTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Saxon007
"TRF" Member
 
Saxon007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,002
You need to take this to be serviced ASAP - the longer the water is in it the more damage it can do. Moisture can destroy the movement. In this case (no pun intended!), time is money.
Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
hdixon85
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5
Thanks for the reply, can water in the Rolex lead to rust in the workings of the watch?
I thought a few days in the airing cupboard would at least help dry it out, but no change. How annoying!
hdixon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
diablojota
"TRF" Member
 
diablojota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real Name: Frank
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Watch: SS Submariner Date
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon85 View Post
Thanks for the reply, can water in the Rolex lead to rust in the workings of the watch?
I thought a few days in the airing cupboard would at least help dry it out, but no change. How annoying!
It can cause all sorts of issues. You need to get that taken care of ASAP.
__________________
RTFT - Read The Friggin' Thread

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2014 Pledge Member
 
Bisquitlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real Name: Richard
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
Posts: 10,324
Get it serviced asap!!!
__________________
“I am easily satisfied with the very best.” Churchill

Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm (SS-YG / Deep Space Black MOP) 16623
Breitling Aerospace Titanium / 18K with UTC.
Omega Speedmaster 3510.50
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
hdixon85
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5
I will make sure it goes for a service when I can next pick it up from my Father and take it to the shop in town which will be in a few days.
Any suggestions for the time being other than the airing cupboard for drying it out without damaging it?
Thanks for the briliant replies, and such prompt replies - I'm really grateful.
hdixon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
LocoNBroko
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Watch: GMTIIcSUBUBFDSDDS
Posts: 336
See if you can find any of the little silica gel packets that come in new shoes... Put several of those (or as many as you can find) in a sealed ziplock bag or piece of sealed kitchen wear UNTIL you can get it to a service center.
The longer you wait, the larger the repair bill!
LocoNBroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:02 AM   #9
hdixon85
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoNBroko View Post
See if you can find any of the little silica gel packets that come in new shoes... Put several of those (or as many as you can find) in a sealed ziplock bag or piece of sealed kitchen wear UNTIL you can get it to a service center.
The longer you wait, the larger the repair bill!
Great idea, I'll go search the house for some now. Thank you.
hdixon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Kirby
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Real Name: Adam
Location: Chicago
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon85 View Post
Great idea, I'll go search the house for some now. Thank you.
If you can't find any silica gel packets, you can use normal (uncooked) rice as a short-term solution. Either way, get it serviced ASAP as others have said.
__________________
Rolex 14060M COSC
Cartier Roadster XL Chrono
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra

Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:42 AM   #11
DSJ
"TRF" Member
 
DSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: David
Location: USA
Watch: your step!
Posts: 7,921
You can also stick it in the freezer until you get it to a jeweler or service center.
__________________
Rolex. The Rolex of watches.
16570 Expy2 Noir, 16610 Submariner
2552.80 SMP
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:54 AM   #12
NYC6
"TRF" Member
 
NYC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Real Name: Dennis
Location: L.I./N.Y.
Watch: SUBMARINER COSC
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
You can also stick it in the freezer until you get it to a jeweler or service center.
Couldn't the expansion of water to ice damage delicate internals?
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:56 AM   #13
diablojota
"TRF" Member
 
diablojota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real Name: Frank
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Watch: SS Submariner Date
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Couldn't the expansion of water to ice damage delicate internals?
yep. Bad idea! Can cause additional issues with regards to the oils inside as well.
__________________
RTFT - Read The Friggin' Thread

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 11:58 AM   #14
LocoNBroko
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Watch: GMTIIcSUBUBFDSDDS
Posts: 336
Ive heard this said before... but Ive never heard of anyone actually having the nads to do it. Has anyone actually ever done this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Couldn't the expansion of water to ice damage delicate internals?
LocoNBroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 09:20 AM   #15
hdixon85
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 5
Thank you for all the helpful replies, it is very much appreciated.
I managed to get the watch to the Jeweller today and they said if caught in time it should be back within a few days which is just brilliant. Fingers crossed no serious damage.
Thanks again, you have all been helpful and friendly. I will update and let you know what the problem was when I pick it up.
hdixon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 09:26 AM   #16
diablojota
"TRF" Member
 
diablojota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real Name: Frank
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Watch: SS Submariner Date
Posts: 4,081
That's great news. Looking forward to hearing back what the watchmaker has to say.
__________________
RTFT - Read The Friggin' Thread

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banner Of The Month
*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided free of charge to outstanding horological resources.







Copyright ©2004-2015, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.