The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 December 2021, 04:11 PM   #1
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

DD40 Eisenkiesel......Unobtainium, or is it?

So I have been lusting after the RG DD40 Olive green for quite some time now. Seeing it's an anniversary model and highly sought after, I don't think I will ever be able to get one from my AD. Part of the problem is that I won't have the funds immdiately available and would have to wait a couple of years, part 2 of the problem is getting the timing right, that I could try to get onto some sort of list, put down a deposit, and the watch come in just in time when the funds are ready. Part 3....being an anniversary dial, you just don't know when Rolex will discontinue it.

My thoughts now are.....I have really taken a liking to the Eisenkiesel dial. Since it was just released this year, I am thinking it will stay in production for a lot of years to come, so I wouldn't mind "settling" for it. So, I figure, maybe order one of the "least desirable" (not over hyped with ridiculous gray market prices) RG DD40 which may be easier to get, and then, after a few years of ownership have the dial swapped to the Eisenkiesel dial? What do you guys think the chances of that happening?

If not, I think I would also be perfectly happy with a chocolate dial of some sort.
Old 23 December 2021, 06:46 PM   #2
nollie85
Banned

If your ultimate plan is to swap dials just buy the cheapest dial option there is.

The Eisenkiesel dial will cost you a bit as it comes with diamond hour markers. Just get the plain white dial with Rose Gold as that is probably the easiest one to get.

If you order any other dial the Eisenkiesel or Chocolate those are in very high demand and fetching premiums so will be harder and longer to get.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
you need to see it IRL. I thought I’d love it until I saw the dial a week ago in Lisbon. Way less interesting that I thought I’d be.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:10 PM   #4
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Have you confirmed that your local RSC would do the swap? While policies are subject to change (which is the risky part), it’s not possible to swap to this dial in my case.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:19 PM   #5
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie85 View Post
if your ultimate plan is to swap dials just buy the cheapest dial option there is.

The eisenkiesel dial will cost you a bit as it comes with diamond hour markers. Just get the plain white dial with rose gold as that is probably the easiest one to get.

If you order any other dial the eisenkiesel or chocolate those are in very high demand and fetching premiums so will be harder and longer to get.
100%
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 11:38 PM   #6
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I’d be prepared to be happy with what dial is purchased in case the swap dial method doesn’t pan out!
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 11:40 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
you need to see it IRL. I thought I’d love it until I saw the dial a week ago in Lisbon. Way less interesting that I thought I’d be.
Couldn’t agree more.

I’ve not seen one irl, but from my experience this logic applies to most watches
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:23 AM   #8
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think Eisenkiesel dial is as hard to get as Olive dial and might not be able to swap the dial later.

All Day-Date dial are great looking, it depends on personal preference. Go on the wait list with your AD, some dials might take longer to wait than the others, no need to worry, just be happy.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:30 AM   #9
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Is this dial available in the 40mm ? I only see it in the 36mm
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:32 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Is this dial available in the 40mm ? I only see it in the 36mm
it is, and it's hard to get in both
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:00 AM   #11
JodyHighroller
Banned

From my discussions with my ADs, the Eisenkiesel dial in 40mm is just as tricky to obtain as the olive. I wouldn’t count on being able to swap the dial at a point in the future either.

For example, you used to be able to swap to the olive until recently, but many RSCs around the globe are removing that option. Lots of people are buying any RG DD40 and trying to swap to the olive so they removed that dial swap option entirely. It’s at least a six month backorder for that dial currently.

Not to mention trying to time in this market is very difficult given the ADs barely have any indication of what they’re going to receive in advance. I think the best option would be to get on a wait list at your AD for the olive or Eisenkiesel and hope the timing works out. Worst case, if it shows up earlier than expected move some of your other pieces to help fund. I’d give priority to the references to the most difficult to obtain and move the easier ones.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 02:35 PM   #12
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
From my discussions with my ADs, the Eisenkiesel dial in 40mm is just as tricky to obtain as the olive. I wouldn’t count on being able to swap the dial at a point in the future either.

For example, you used to be able to swap to the olive until recently, but many RSCs around the globe are removing that option. Lots of people are buying any RG DD40 and trying to swap to the olive so they removed that dial swap option entirely. It’s at least a six month backorder for that dial currently.

Not to mention trying to time in this market is very difficult given the ADs barely have any indication of what they’re going to receive in advance. I think the best option would be to get on a wait list at your AD for the olive or Eisenkiesel and hope the timing works out. Worst case, if it shows up earlier than expected move some of your other pieces to help fund. I’d give priority to the references to the most difficult to obtain and move the easier ones.
My thinking was that the Eisenkiesel, being brand new was going to be super popular and I expected to see high premiums for them in the Gray market. My research consisted of a quick search on C24 where the premiums being asked weren't as high as the Olive and not as high as I expected in general. I figured dial swaps with less popular dials might still be possible, and seeing how I don't intend to do this for 2 years, I figured, maybe it's a possiblity. Timing is everything, and luck of course too, add on top of that the ability of Rolex to switch up their policies regarding dial swaps, and this whole dream of mine is becoming less and less likely. Would I be happy with a black, white, or sundust dial? Not sure, if you spend that much money on something you would probably want to get exactly what you want, not settle for something. I tried on a RG DD40 with a Sundust dial and was very underwhelmed, to me, RG has to go with a darker dial with a color other than straight black.

If my plan were to work out and I was a little short on cash, I'd trade my DJ41 for it, since, essentially, they're both dressy watches.

Thanks for everyone's replies, and Merry Christmas!