The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2023, 11:35 PM   #1
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak 15500ST Allocation

Hi all, what are the chances of being added to the list in the UK for a black or grey dial 15500 as a first timer at AP? Am I likely to be laughed out the door?

I am thinking that perhaps I could get Amex platinum concierge to try and get me an appointment as it may look better coming from them rather than me calling up and just being dismissed? Or am I just wasting my time all together?

Not new to the watch world as I have a few watches from Rolex and Tudor but would be completely new to AP, a stainless steel Royal Oak black dial has been my grail watch since I was a kid and I’m now in the position to be able to afford one.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Luchi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:41 PM   #2
messikens
"TRF" Member

IMG_2618-compressed.jpg
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:42 PM   #3
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Agreed, I will definitely try and get an appointment but it would be good to hear of some feedback and if there’s anything I should be doing to help my chances!
Old 4 April 2023, 11:48 PM   #4
crassick
"TRF" Member

15500 is no longer the current model, if you want it specifically you’ll have to go grey. Boutiques if they were to give you an allocation would be the 15510.
crassick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:54 PM   #5
bullies
"TRF" Member

I remember reading someone trying the Amex concierge route a year or three ago and it didn't go anywhere. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't expect much.
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:57 PM   #6
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
I remember reading someone trying the Amex concierge route a year or three ago and it didn't go anywhere. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't expect much.
Do you think it would be best to just try the non-concierge route then? I guess I could try both ways, as you say, it doesn’t hurt to try. Do you know what AP would expect you to buy first before a 15500st?
Old 5 April 2023, 12:06 AM   #7
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I would say - call them yourself, introduce yourself and be yourself. Make yourself available and be enthusiastic about watches. Going through Amex concierge or whatever makes you look stuck up or distant in person. You can do your part, how the SA responds to you is 50/50.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:09 AM   #8
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I would say - call them yourself, introduce yourself and be yourself. Make yourself available and be enthusiastic about watches. Going through Amex concierge or whatever makes you look stuck up or distant in person. You can do your part, how the SA responds to you is 50/50.
Makes sense, a friend had mentioned that he was told that getting a respected concierge to arrange an appointment made it easier but what you say makes sense 👍🏼
Old 5 April 2023, 12:17 AM   #9
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchi12 View Post
Hi all, what are the chances of being added to the list in the UK for a black or grey dial 15500 as a first timer at AP? Am I likely to be laughed out the door?
Chances will be better for a 15510, as the 15500 is discontinued. I don't see how the concierge would add much but a minor bit of convenience, but it also is an idea that hadn't occurred to me. Good luck!
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:20 AM   #10
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Chances will be better for a 15510, as the 15500 is discontinued. I don't see how the concierge would add much but a minor bit of convenience, but it also is an idea that hadn't occurred to me. Good luck!

Thanks, 15510 sounds even more difficult with it being an anniversary piece! Are you sure the 15500 is discontinued as it currently shows as available on the AP website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2023, 12:22 AM   #11
Overwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I am thinking that perhaps I could get Amex platinum concierge to try and get me an appointment as it may look better coming from them rather than me calling up and just being dismissed? Or am I just wasting my time all together?

Not new to the watch world as I have a few watches from Rolex and Tudor but would be completely new to AP, a stainless steel Royal Oak black dial has been my grail watch since I was a kid and I’m now in the position to be able to afford one.

Thanks in advance for any advice
The vast majority of people that can afford a Royal Oak have an amex so going through concierge is not going to help you one bit. My best advice is to go in person and express your interest. Be prepared for a long journey as getting a royal oak as a first allocation is very unlikely in this day and age but miracles happen (i'm a big dreamer myself). Please also be aware the 15500ST is now retired so you will not be able to get this without going through other channels. Have a nice day and best of luck to you.
Overwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:25 AM   #12
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
The vast majority of people that can afford a Royal Oak have an amex so going through concierge is not going to help you one bit. My best advice is to go in person and express your interest. Be prepared for a long journey as getting a royal oak as a first allocation is very unlikely in this day and age but miracles happen (i'm a big dreamer myself). Please also be aware the 15500ST is now retired so you will not be able to get this without going through other channels. Have a nice day and best of luck to you.

Yeah, going through the concierge was just something a friend of mine had mentioned to me.

Got it, the 15500 is still showing as available on the AP site which is confusing, I figured the 15510 was an anniversary version and the 15500 was the ‘standard’ version.

Old 5 April 2023, 12:28 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, 15510 sounds even more difficult with it being an anniversary piece! Are you sure the 15500 is discontinued as it currently shows as available on the AP website?
Check again - only the blue 15500ST is in the current collection, black and grey moved to the legacy page a couple of weeks ago. Anniversary was last year, now it's back to regular production for ROs.

Grey dial is a good choice
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:52 AM   #14
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Check again - only the blue 15500ST is in the current collection, black and grey moved to the legacy page a couple of weeks ago. Anniversary was last year, now it's back to regular production for ROs.

Grey dial is a good choice
Nice one, thank you!! Sounds like it’ll remain a dream of mine for a long while longer
Old 5 April 2023, 01:17 AM   #15
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Make an appointment by phone but go and introduce yourself in person.
AP wants to know their customers and they dedicate time for that.
If you already have a watch collection with few other brands, that helps.
Steel RO as a first - difficult but not impossible.
Someone recently got 15510st black dial after 2 years wait.

15500 is discontinued.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 01:19 AM   #16
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Make an appointment by phone but go and introduce yourself in person.
AP wants to know their customers and they dedicate time for that.
If you already have a watch collection with few other brands, that helps.
Steel RO as a first - difficult but not impossible.
Someone recently got 15510st black dial after 2 years wait.

15500 is discontinued.

Will do thanks, I plan on giving them a call to make the appointment as AP House is around 3 hours away so then I can attend in person and make a day of it in London I’ll just have to be careful wearing anything nice to the appointment (being in London!)

Old 5 April 2023, 01:54 AM   #17
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I was offered, and purchased a 15510 as my second AP, the first being a code, and I enjoy the pair of them equally. I would say go speak to the SA in the boutique, it won’t do any harm and I can assure you of one thing, the wait will be 100% worth it. I genuinely don’t wear my Rolex watches anymore. For what it’s worth I got mine in. Dubai, which is arguably a hotter market than most.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 01:57 AM   #18
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I was offered, and purchased a 15510 as my second AP, the first being a code, and I enjoy the pair of them equally. I would say go speak to the SA in the boutique, it won’t do any harm and I can assure you of one thing, the wait will be 100% worth it. I genuinely don’t wear my Rolex watches anymore. For what it’s worth I got mine in. Dubai, which is arguably a hotter market than London.
Appreciate that thanks, I don’t mind the wait to be honest, I waited for my Pepsi for over 3 years and have been waiting for a green bezel sub for 5 years now!!
Old 5 April 2023, 08:50 AM   #19
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Make the appointment and visit in person. Have an honest conversation about your watch collection history and where you want it to go. If you and the SA connect, good things will happen over time. AP is looking for clients that will take the journey with them over a long time. Be open about your wish list. If you can purchase more than one piece per year, make sure your SA understands that. Just make sure the SA doesn't get the impression that you are going to be a one and done client.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 07:53 PM   #20
Jayj23
"TRF" Member

Definitely meet up face to face and have an honest conversation so they know you're genuine. Had a friend use his dedicated centurion concierge man and got nowhere.
Jayj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 08:21 PM   #21
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

They don’t produce the 15500 anymore. The current iteration of that model is the 15510

Amex wont get you anywhere

However, it is possible to get a 15510 as your first piece. Just meet with your SA in person, be genuine, and hopefully it clicks
Old 6 April 2023, 05:13 AM   #22
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
In the UK a new 15500/15510 are the most requested first time AP allocations and have been for many years now.

So it’s going to be very big ask to be honest. But reach out to the AP team and see what they say.

Bon chance!
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 08:21 PM   #23
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Get a friend who is an existing collector to make the introduction for you.

Edit: in dire circumstances, find a big collector, marry his sister, then walk in saying you're the guys brother in law. I'm told it helps!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 09:41 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Get a friend who is an existing collector to make the introduction for you.

Edit: in dire circumstances, find a big collector, marry his sister, then walk in saying you're the guys brother in law. I'm told it helps!

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=does+...+have+a+sister
Old 6 April 2023, 10:12 PM   #25
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
PT_91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:20 PM   #26
R35GTR
"TRF" Member

Took me about 2.5 years of building a relationship including regular in person visits and I got allocated a RO chrono as my first AP. Not impossible!
R35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 08:47 AM   #27
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Much of it will depend on your SA. I got a ROO, then a silver ROC 50th, and lastly a 15510 blue dial within 12 months. I obviously got lucky with my SA. A 15510 as your first can happen but it might be difficult. Decide how long you might want to wait and decide if you’d rather pay the premium for a here and now and go grey.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 07:18 PM   #28
Heavenly
"TRF" Member

I have to say I visit AP house in Bond st as often as I can with my wife, and think the staff are absolutely amazing, very courteous, incredibly fair and always go above and beyond to entertain and spend time with you.
I recently visited with my wife and daughter for their birthday and was surprised with a cake and candles and just the greatest customer experience you can expect to gain from a brand, they just understand how to make someone feel special and I’m certainly no rockstar, just a guy with a wife who both have a passion for watches, so much so my wife booked Geneva for Watches and Wonders, so I feel blessed.
I think the key thing is always relationship.. I would always tell anyone to build that, make a special visit and show your face. Wedid a 2 hour journey when train strikes were on last month, to just spend 30 minutes there, but it was just an amazing memory which my daughter absolutely loved,… I could have easily cancelled but we didn’t because it was worth it…
AP have such a small allocation they need to know you, I genuinely believe, if they pass you walking down the street and don’t stop to say “Hello” you will not get a watch from them.
I bought my first AP in 2014 and was lucky enough to get a personal grail from them last year and now have fallen in love with the 15510 Green dial, but have a very realistic understanding this could be a 5 year wait or never watch, but what AP do know is, they can trust me with it and it will not be sold and worn, and this is where I think the issue is.
When there are so little pieces coming into the UK in one year, how do they decipher who is the most genuine and deserving of those pieces? My thoughts from AP have always been customers are never judged on wealth, I absolutely hand on heart believe they choose their allocation on a piece on that single individual they feel it’s best suited to, or that it would mean the most to.
When friends ask me do you think I would be able to get one, I always ask, why do you want one now? Where were you in 2018 before the bubble started and watches became an asset to many, not a genuine collectors piece?
I think everyone has an opportunity on any piece if they just invest the time, if that’s not something they are prepared to do, then I don’t think it’s realistic to get a watch, no matter how unsavoury they feel this is…
I would always give a huge upthumb to AP UK, I have never been let down by them and I think many brands could learn a trick or 2 on how the customer journey should look on something so special….
Heavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 11:09 PM   #29
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I have to say I visit AP house in Bond st as often as I can with my wife, and think the staff are absolutely amazing, very courteous, incredibly fair and always go above and beyond to entertain and spend time with you.
I recently visited with my wife and daughter for their birthday and was surprised with a cake and candles and just the greatest customer experience you can expect to gain from a brand, they just understand how to make someone feel special and I’m certainly no rockstar, just a guy with a wife who both have a passion for watches, so much so my wife booked Geneva for Watches and Wonders, so I feel blessed.
I think the key thing is always relationship.. I would always tell anyone to build that, make a special visit and show your face. Wedid a 2 hour journey when train strikes were on last month, to just spend 30 minutes there, but it was just an amazing memory which my daughter absolutely loved,… I could have easily cancelled but we didn’t because it was worth it…
AP have such a small allocation they need to know you, I genuinely believe, if they pass you walking down the street and don’t stop to say “Hello” you will not get a watch from them.
I bought my first AP in 2014 and was lucky enough to get a personal grail from them last year and now have fallen in love with the 15510 Green dial, but have a very realistic understanding this could be a 5 year wait or never watch, but what AP do know is, they can trust me with it and it will not be sold and worn, and this is where I think the issue is.
When there are so little pieces coming into the UK in one year, how do they decipher who is the most genuine and deserving of those pieces? My thoughts from AP have always been customers are never judged on wealth, I absolutely hand on heart believe they choose their allocation on a piece on that single individual they feel it’s best suited to, or that it would mean the most to.
When friends ask me do you think I would be able to get one, I always ask, why do you want one now? Where were you in 2018 before the bubble started and watches became an asset to many, not a genuine collectors piece?
I think everyone has an opportunity on any piece if they just invest the time, if that’s not something they are prepared to do, then I don’t think it’s realistic to get a watch, no matter how unsavoury they feel this is…
I would always give a huge upthumb to AP UK, I have never been let down by them and I think many brands could learn a trick or 2 on how the customer journey should look on something so special….
Yes, I recognize that, people asking if they have a chance on getting something from AP. Where were you 5 years ago? Funny thing.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 11:51 PM   #30
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
My thoughts from AP have always been customers are never judged on wealth, I absolutely hand on heart believe they choose their allocation on a piece on that single individual they feel it’s best suited to, or that it would mean the most to.

To answer OP's question, it depends on the boutique. Some may be more unsavory regarding expectations for first-time allocations. Depends on how much the reps like you, and the wealth improves your chances usually with them, since their most desirable watch is the most 'affordable'. If they are trying to build long-time collector base, well then without stating outright, it's whether or not someone can buy other pieces, as well.

Can a 15510st be a first time allocation? Yes, with economic uncertainty and secondary market slow-down, the opportunities open up for enthusiasts as the profitability of a flip reduces. Good luck!
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote