The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2023, 08:28 PM   #1
rolexsubwatching
"TRF" Member

White Gold Usage Everyday

Great Forum- what are folks thoughts on wearing White Gold everyday (specifically the new Sub model 126619lb
I keep reading that Stainless Steel is better than White Gold for everyday use but is that really true-

- how much difference in wear will there really be over time (some video I watched even mentioned the links stretching- is that really true)
- can you shower with it
- white gold on the skin
- any issues with typing with the weight

thanks!
rolexsubwatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:17 PM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
It will wear heavier and has a special premium feel to it you can’t really explain unless you wear one. It will stand up to every day use the same as steel, some people will tell you it won’t however my opinion is that these people just get more “hurt” by scratching a 30/40k watch as opposed to a 7-10k one.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:19 PM   #3
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Don’t have any WG pieces myself but was actually talking to my AD about this the other day because he’d just received an LB in store. Biggest problem with WG for everyday usage is it scratches whereas the SS will last a lot longer in pristine condition if you’re talking about as a daily.

That said, if you love the WG look, don’t mind the weight for everyday use and can afford it, then I would say absolutely go for it! They do look amazing
Callmepeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:22 PM   #4
clubrcr
Banned

I previously had a WG Daytona. I wore it as a daily, as I think watches should be enjoyed, not just collected. I loved the weight and difference in the way the WG shines vs. the stainless. I agree with the previous post, the weight is something that makes you feel you have a premium watch.

I didn't shower with it, but I cleaned it with soap and water regularly with no negative impact.

My only issue is the softness of the metal. Just know that it will scratch a lot easier than stainless and wearing it daily, it will accumulate scratches no matter how carefully you are with it.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:30 PM   #5
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
If this was my only watch, no problem, I could be very content with it, fortunately, it's in my rotation due to many in my collection. The weight is a plus, not a deterrent, and typing is not an issue. However, when I go for walks with my family, I add a 5-pound ankle weight on the opposite side of my body to prevent walking in circles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRUW 10:26 .jpg (113.6 KB, 3973 views)
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:38 PM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I’ve worn wg watches for years and they wear exactly like my steel watches. People probably need to forget all the suggestions wg is so much softer and more prone to scratches / dents. I just don’t see it in reality.

It’s the weight for me and wrist feeling, feels very special, so much so I actually enjoy the lightness of something like the 37mm Tudor black bay when I switch. That just disappears on the wrist in comparison.

The only comment about wg is I tend to wear pm slightly tighter on the wrist as the weight makes it move more which I don’t like. So in summer I have to mess around more with easy links and micro adjustments.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 09:54 PM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Weight and hue does it for me, I probably never buy a SS watch again.

Wearing my WG Sub for years and it scratches the same as any other steel watch.
Touch a brick wall and you have an equal dent in SS or WG.

Note that the bracelet and clasp have polished center links. These scratch easy, again just as SS polished links do.
After a while these all blend in nicely, never bothered me.
Old 6 May 2023, 10:08 PM   #8
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I wear my WG GMT Meteorite as a daily and do everything with it. Including shower and sleeping. No problemo, after 1.5 years it still looks beautifull. Of course they will get scratched but not worse than my stainless watches.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:09 PM   #9
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

I don't know anyone who regretted a gold purchase for any reasons you described. I am sure such people exist. I wear WG like stainless and see little difference in wear. Even if they scratch 5% more or whatever, I would prefer it to steel if forced to choose.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:11 PM   #10
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I have the 126619 and it can easily be worn as a daily. People think it is SS. I really love it and you will too. Weight has never been an issue at all.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:40 PM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
What's "better" is highly subjective and strictly up to the owner.

The one thing I would tell you, however, is to evaluate anything you hear or read critically (especially if it's from YouTube lol) and look for facts, not opinions. Then you can make your own mind up.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:43 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
WG, like the other PM watches, wear like a dream for me. I have owned numerous models and weight or feel of the watch is a plus.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:50 PM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If I had one I would daily it without any more concern for scratches than I have with any other watch. While I do my best to not scratch watches shizzle happens from time to time.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 12:04 AM   #14
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmepeshy View Post
Don’t have any WG pieces myself but was actually talking to my AD about this the other day because he’d just received an LB in store. Biggest problem with WG for everyday usage is it scratches whereas the SS will last a lot longer in pristine condition if you’re talking about as a daily.

That said, if you love the WG look, don’t mind the weight for everyday use and can afford it, then I would say absolutely go for it! They do look amazing
I think WG Oysterflex Daytona is the best option for daily WG piece.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 12:21 AM   #15
sj24k
"TRF" Member

White Gold Usage Everyday

My 116619 is in heavy rotation with many other (mostly) SS watches.

Besides being a bit heavier on the wrist (which I like) it’s really no different. Except for the fact that I know it’s just a little more special.

I know PM is softer, more prone to scratches, etc. But that has never been an issue for me whatsoever.

Also, I’m not a yellow or rose gold person, so love having some white gold in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 12:30 AM   #16
rolexsubwatching
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone - great feedback-

maybe my mind keeps going to try to look at value that is 4x the stainless steel - and it is that much more amazing from weight, having gold and blue dial-

getting there...
Old 7 May 2023, 01:06 AM   #17
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubwatching View Post
Thanks everyone - great feedback-

maybe my mind keeps going to try to look at value that is 4x the stainless steel - and it is that much more amazing from weight, having gold and blue dial-

getting there...

You should look at the 116619 on the secondary market if it’s a blue dial you seek. The 12 version is black (only bezel is blue) and IMHO it’s just not as special as the OG Smurf. You’ll obviously get differing opinions on this, but only you’ll know which is right for you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 01:14 AM   #18
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
No problem for me.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 01:22 AM   #19
Little machines
"TRF" Member

WG is a pleasure to wear !It is very comfortable and does not attract too much attention! Never a issue with reaction to skin etc. Good luck in your journey !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 01:25 AM   #20
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
How is that every loves the heft of a gold watch but seem to complain about a heavy ss watch ?
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 01:53 AM   #21
Frankrizzo29
"TRF" Member

I just purchased a brand new 126619 and am wearing it as my daily. I'm surprised by how comfortable it is. You definitely notice the weight vs SS, but it's very comfortable. It's also not flashy, which is what I wanted.
Frankrizzo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 04:15 AM   #22
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

You are going to learn to love the weight - and it sometimes it will be difficult to put SS back on
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 04:52 AM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I wear my WG GMT Meteorite as a daily and do everything with it. Including shower and sleeping. No problemo, after 1.5 years it still looks beautifull. Of course they will get scratched but not worse than my stainless watches.
X2

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 07:10 AM   #24
noshame
"TRF" Member

I don't own one but I feel as though a WG Sub could be a daily watch just as much as a SS could. The biggest difference is that scratches, swirlies, scuffs, will be MUCH MORE visible on the WG, and more specifically on the PCL of the bracelet and clasp. If that doesn't bother you I think you'll be fine. Good luck!
Old 7 May 2023, 08:10 AM   #25
rolexsubwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankrizzo29 View Post
I just purchased a brand new 126619 and am wearing it as my daily. I'm surprised by how comfortable it is. You definitely notice the weight vs SS, but it's very comfortable. It's also not flashy, which is what I wanted.
Frankrizzo29 - great to hear- congrats-

when you first got it - did you feel it has too many colors with blue, black, white gold, white date, etc..or just right? just thought I would see if you notice anything -

coming from an black no date where tons of symmetry and only a couple of colors.
Old 7 May 2023, 08:20 AM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I wear mine every day pretty much all day, live it!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 08:20 AM   #27
BayAreaTech
"TRF" Member

I wear my White Gold DayDate 40 almost every day. Get used to the scratches as Precious Metal Rolex pieces are easy to bruise. As an example, sweaters I have worn left micro scratches in the past. I do not mind.

It is hard to go back to stainless considering the weight difference. I definitely know when my watch is on my wrist. No issues with what you described. I have went swimming, golfing, typing for work, etc... No issues. It is a Rolex. Tough as nails.
BayAreaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 08:48 AM   #28
Frankrizzo29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubwatching View Post
Frankrizzo29 - great to hear- congrats-

when you first got it - did you feel it has too many colors with blue, black, white gold, white date, etc..or just right? just thought I would see if you notice anything -

coming from an black no date where tons of symmetry and only a couple of colors.
Thank you! I think it's just right. The blue is great, and contrasts with the black dial perfectly. I actually think the black dial lessens the blue a little bit, so the blue is definitely noticeable, but it's not in your face obvious. The date is the date and complements and balances out the look. The WG is perfect for these colors. When people ask to see the watch, they definitely notice the weight of it when they hold it. But as soon as they put it on, they acknowledge that it doesn't feel as heavy.
Frankrizzo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 09:52 AM   #29
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I wear my 126619LB 90% of the time. Maybe it shows a little more wear over time than my SS pieces but the feel on the wrist is otherworldly
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5310.jpeg (129.2 KB, 3401 views)
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 10:16 AM   #30
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
In the past I had a Pt Daytona which wore too heavy for my tastes. My DD41 in WG has no such problem. Although we're still getting acquainted, every time I wear it I love it. The issue is not letting it dominate my collection as it easily could.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote