The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2023, 11:19 PM   #1
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
New Datejust :) Sizing Question..

Excited to share that I received the call yesterday for this 31 DJ, MOP dial which is hard to photograph. I may have been more ecstatic than when I received the call for a Submariner (for those curious, I had zero history and waited less than 2 months for the Sub, whereas I had good history and waited 12+ months for this DJ!!).
Question: I am between links as far as sizing is concerned.. remove 4 links and the watch is on the snug side. Remove 3 links and the watch freely moves which I didn’t like. I went with the snug fit. Is it personal preference? Does one or the other contribute to the long term “shape” of the jubilee?
Thanks for any input you can provide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0062.jpeg (236.6 KB, 310 views)
tutu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 11:44 PM   #2
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I would go for the looser fit so you have room when your wrist expands in heat or exercise.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 11:44 PM   #3
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch!
Old 22 October 2023, 12:05 AM   #4
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Congrats! My wife has same but DJ36; she loves it.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 12:42 AM   #5
mikeviz
"TRF" Member

Nice watch! Note that there's is also a micro-adjust in the clasp with 3 positions. It comes set in the center position, so you can move that in or out 1 position to fine tune the fit. You can have the jeweler do it for you. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend using the right tool such as the Bergeon 7825 spring bar tweezers.

Fit-wise, I'd say it's entirely personal preference. I usually hear that a looser fit can lead to more "stretch" over time (due to increased friction from more flex at the links/pins), but I wouldn't worry about that.

Also I find that when you first put the watch on and the steel is cold, it will be a tiny bit looser than once it warms up to your body temperature.
mikeviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:05 AM   #6
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Is there no microadjust inside the clasp? At least on the 36mm model, there are three sets of microadjust indents inside the clasp that can provide finer adjustments, I think mine came set to the middle position, but I had my AD move mine to the innermost position. You may just need to bump that out to the outermost position which will buy you 2.5-3mm of breathing room.

Watch looks great, btw. Congrats!
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:14 AM   #7
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
I would go for the looser fit so you have room when your wrist expands in heat or exercise.
I did not consider this! I’ve got typical autumn weather in my region right now, but we do get hot and humid summers!
Old 22 October 2023, 01:21 AM   #8
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Is there no microadjust inside the clasp? At least on the 36mm model, there are three sets of microadjust indents inside the clasp that can provide finer adjustments, I think mine came set to the middle position, but I had my AD move mine to the innermost position. You may just need to bump that out to the outermost position which will buy you 2.5-3mm of breathing room.

Watch looks great, btw. Congrats!
Thank you :-)
If I’m not mistaken, the 31 does not come with the extension link, so I can’t do that micro-adjustment. There is, however a single jubilee link that can be ordered from Rolex that’s slightly bigger than the standard. This would replace 2 links when someone is in between sizes. I’d rather not go this route.
I think I’ll give it a few days to see how it feels. If the tightness is uncomfortable, I will add a link back, especially since summertime, when it comes, is humid.
Old 22 October 2023, 01:41 AM   #9
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Do you have a picture of the inside of the clasp?
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:47 AM   #10
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu2008 View Post
If I’m not mistaken, the 31 does not come with the extension link, so I can’t do that micro-adjustment. There is, however a single jubilee link that can be ordered from Rolex that’s slightly bigger than the standard. This would replace 2 links when someone is in between sizes. I’d rather not go this route.
I think I’ll give it a few days to see how it feels. If the tightness is uncomfortable, I will add a link back, especially since summertime, when it comes, is humid.
You are describing the EZ-Link. I think 36 and above(not sure about the 31) there is a small spring bar on the inside of the clasp. That allows for a few positions of finer adjustment.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:52 AM   #11
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Lovely watch. I tend to wear my watches snug. I don't like them to roll around on my wrist. I'd go the larger link (1 1/2 link) route and see how that feels.
MichelleP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 02:29 AM   #12
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Beautiful watch! Looks great on you. I love the MOP dial, too. Congrats!
Old 22 October 2023, 02:50 AM   #13
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The extension link (EZ link) is not the same thing as the microadjust I'm referring to. Here is a picture of the microadjust:

There are three sets of indents that the springbar can be set into; in this picture, the bracelet is set in the middle one, and then there is another one further to the left that cannot be seen as it's blocked by the bracelet. The one that is visible is the innermost one.

Again I don't know if the 31mm has this, but something to check.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 03:19 AM   #14
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

@Puma, Thank you for clarifying. My DJ 31 does not appear to have that.
Here are photos. Don’t mind me not removing stickers yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0070.jpeg (236.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg (288.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 22 October 2023, 05:09 AM   #15
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@Puma, Thank you for clarifying. My DJ 31 does not appear to have that.
Here are photos. Don’t mind me not removing stickers yet
Yes my wife has a DJ31 with the same bracelet- imo I would go for the extra link as per my first post above. Again a fantastic looking watch - class!!
Old 22 October 2023, 06:06 AM   #16
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
Yes my wife has a DJ31 with the same bracelet- imo I would go for the extra link as per my first post above. Again a fantastic looking watch - class!!
Thank you kindly!