The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 November 2023, 02:08 PM   #1
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Trade 116500 Daytona for 5296r?

Hello,

I’m wondering what the consensus amongst Patek owners is on this idea. I’ve got a 116500 white dial Daytona, don’t wear it much, it’s more of a weekend thing. I have a DayDate that gets worn during most of the week. I’d be new to Patek, and don’t really wear traditional dress style watches - which got me looking at a rose gold sector dial Calatrava.

Buy what you like, of course, but it does beg the question on sector dial vs the indices…or maybe consider a different Patek altogether. This trade would also include some cash my way.

Thanks for any input!
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 03:27 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
It’s a gorgeous watch, and the rose gold is amazing. I love the case in the elegance of the curves. But the dial, there’s so many lines on there. What are they all for? It wasn’t for me, but I respect the beauty. As for trading in the Rolex for Patek, do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 07:52 PM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

I like the 5296 with baton markers but found it a little large on my 6.6 inch wrists. The busy sector dial variant is not for me.

You could also consider the 5227 which is the more recent automatic Calatrava with date. With its fancier case and weird markers I like it less though than the simple 5296. The predecessors would be 5127, 5107, and the 3998 which I ended up getting many years ago.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 11:39 PM   #4
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I had the 5296 sector dial in WG. It was an awesome watch. Very slim on the wrist and goes well with different straps. I’ve seen the RG version and it pops more on the wrist than the WG.

If you don’t wear the Daytona then sure trade away. Another option is the 5212 which is pretty cool; steel Calatrava with casual vibes.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 11:45 PM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Can't go wrong with the 5296r sector dial. One of Patek's best. Dressy or casual. Goes with everyhting.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 01:15 AM   #6
byow
"TRF" Member

OP, I would not trade the Daytona for a 5296. The 4130 is one of the best movements, even though it is not decorated, even so less by hand.

As to the other timepieces that we could recommend, I think that it would be helpful to know why you want a PP: is it for the history, the prestige of PP, the finishing of the timepieces, the complications, the « guardian-thing » for the next generation, the hype? The question only aims at helping to narrow down the options. :)
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 03:20 AM   #7
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Id do it, I am not a Daytona fan at all....

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 04:15 AM   #8
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
OP, I would not trade the Daytona for a 5296. The 4130 is one of the best movements, even though it is not decorated, even so less by hand.

As to the other timepieces that we could recommend, I think that it would be helpful to know why you want a PP: is it for the history, the prestige of PP, the finishing of the timepieces, the complications, the « guardian-thing » for the next generation, the hype? The question only aims at helping to narrow down the options. :)
Valid - the allure of owning a Patek at some point has always been there. I’m a bit of a movement nerd and really appreciate how beautifully these are put together. So, to be fair - part of the desire is the idea of owning one of “the best” but aesthetics for me are important. I’m also looking at some Lange watches too.

Money is a consideration too: Id be most interested in hearing some suggestions for pieces that can be had in the 25-35k range, notwithstanding Patek in particular.

To put it more bluntly, I’ve been collecting long enough now to feel completely at peace that these are for me and no one else, thus the name on the dial isn’t too important, but the aesthetics and quality of what’s under the hood is.
Old 26 November 2023, 07:24 AM   #9
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtimes View Post
id do it, i am not a daytona fan at all....

+1
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 08:28 AM   #10
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
5212A is right around the 35k range and comes with a very interesting set of complications for a PP.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 09:04 AM   #11
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Valid - the allure of owning a Patek at some point has always been there. I’m a bit of a movement nerd and really appreciate how beautifully these are put together. So, to be fair - part of the desire is the idea of owning one of “the best” but aesthetics for me are important. I’m also looking at some Lange watches too.

Money is a consideration too: Id be most interested in hearing some suggestions for pieces that can be had in the 25-35k range, notwithstanding Patek in particular.

To put it more bluntly, I’ve been collecting long enough now to feel completely at peace that these are for me and no one else, thus the name on the dial isn’t too important, but the aesthetics and quality of what’s under the hood is.
Based on what you tell me, I would suggest a 5205 (annual calendar, beautiful dial, for example in grey, and one of the most beautiful cases at that price point).

I will not comment on Lange.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 02:55 PM   #12
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
I just started my PP collection last week (6119R). I have a oyster flex 18K gold daytona, a 115620, but I would not give up any Daytona for a PP.

Its two different animal. I think having the chance to get offer a Daytona after months / years of waiting list and speaking with ADs, I think its a milestone in watch collecting itself.

Having said that, I do enjoy my latest PP addition in the collection, and it also required waiting time and effort.

I would save a bit more and try to own both.
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 06:22 AM   #13
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9390 View Post
I just started my PP collection last week (6119R). I have a oyster flex 18K gold daytona, a 115620, but I would not give up any Daytona for a PP.

Its two different animal. I think having the chance to get offer a Daytona after months / years of waiting list and speaking with ADs, I think its a milestone in watch collecting itself.

Having said that, I do enjoy my latest PP addition in the collection, and it also required waiting time and effort.

I would save a bit more and try to own both.
Yeah thx for suggestion, I just don’t wear my Daytona that much. Maybe trade it up with some cash for a gold on oysterflex at some point. I’m in no hurry to do anything, and appreciate everyone’s time and thoughts.
Old 28 November 2023, 04:30 PM   #14
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
5212A is right around the 35k range and comes with a very interesting set of complications for a PP.
I second this. Perfect daily casual and business watch that can be worn in any occasion (apart from swimming and physical activity really)
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 07:59 PM   #15
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatrava r View Post
can't go wrong with the 5296r sector dial. One of patek's best. Dressy or casual. Goes with everyhting.
+1
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 11:06 PM   #16
Antonomers
"TRF" Member

This is the patek forum, i'd reckon most replies would go the direction of patek.
Antonomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 11:42 AM   #17
bob101
"TRF" Member

I’d keep a sports watch if you don’t have one. The 5296 is a perfect daily but sounds like you wear the day date a lot. If you were to add the 5296 would it get enough wrist time? Personally I’d add the 5296 (and move the day date later on if something had to go) and keep the Daytona.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote