The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 December 2023, 07:11 AM   #1
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Possibility?

Hey everyone - quick question.

Do you guys think it is possible to go this route for Patek? I’m really only interested in these two pieces so would rather not buy other watches and don’t plan to resell. However, wanted to see what people here thought in case it’s just not worth it to even trying. I’d have no other spend with the AD.

My goal would be buying a 6119R then a 5167A (okay with getting with the steel strap too).

Is this at all possible? Or better not to even pursue?

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 07:18 AM   #2
byow
"TRF" Member

With the appropriate introduction, almost anything is possible.

Without introduction, « purchase history » is usually the main criterion.

I may be wrong but I would say that chances are almost zero, except if you are able to wait for an indefinite period of time, PP does not discontinue the timepieces you want, demand slows down, the AD still are selling PP and they have some kind of lists.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 07:32 AM   #3
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

no, spend will need to be significantly more. And yes, you have to be willing to live with the fact that it might get discontinued during the wait.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 07:36 AM   #4
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Haha. I proposed the same question on my thread, but difference is I have spent $100k at both local ads on Rolex/tudor/cartier within the past 3 years. No jewelry purchase. No Patek purchase yet.

To be honest, I think with no purchase history and just buying a 6119r, will not lead to the 5167a unless you have an amazing relationship with that AD. E.g. friend of owner.

Good luck!
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 12:09 PM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
Hey everyone - quick question.

Do you guys think it is possible to go this route for Patek? I’m really only interested in these two pieces so would rather not buy other watches and don’t plan to resell. However, wanted to see what people here thought in case it’s just not worth it to even trying. I’d have no other spend with the AD.

My goal would be buying a 6119R then a 5167A (okay with getting with the steel strap too).

Is this at all possible? Or better not to even pursue?

Don’t even pursue unless you bought a bunch of other stuff at an AD already and you already have a relationship otherwise I’d suggest this - you pay a little less than double retail and you don’t even need the 6119 which is a great watch though

https://nashvillewatch.com/product/p...7a-box-papers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 05:49 PM   #6
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

It is possible, coz that's exactly the route I took
I am referred to the shop by a friend, but that guy is a patek vip of another AD so not sure if this helped by any means. Took the 6119, and then 2 years for 5167a call
Like everyone said its different for everyone, I've heard some well connected guys getting 5167a as their first piece, and some spending us100k and not getting one, ymmv

Just to add I took delivery of the 5167 early Q4 this year
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 04:00 AM   #7
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If only those two, watches the you might as well try. If they give you the run around about the calatrava alone — then you know you’ll have a hard time to get the 5167.

But I’d make sure you really want the calatrava; what if they sell you a 6119 and then never come through on the 5167. Otherwise you’re trying to leverage one of the lowest cost models with one of the high demand low cost models—ADs can see through that. And they also might think you’ll never buy anything else (or can’t afford anything else) from them again.

And would you buy a 5168 instead? Or the 5167r? That might be easier. Of course, more costly—and different.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 09:59 AM   #8
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments here. I’d say I have built my collection typically with one piece per brand that I like the most. For Patek it’s the 6119R given the hobnail pattern is something I remember I loved on the 5119 when I first got into watches.

So for me the the AD question is more I’d want to own the 6119r regardless. If I’d be able to also add the aquanaut along with it I’d be open to breaking the rule and paying retail on 6119r. If not I’d just go grey for the 6119r and take the savings (which I expect to be more as the market cools).

Thanks for the insights

Old 19 December 2023, 10:00 AM   #9
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Duplicate post**

Old 19 December 2023, 11:13 AM   #10
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
Thanks for the comments here. I’d say I have built my collection typically with one piece per brand that I like the most. For Patek it’s the 6119R given the hobnail pattern is something I remember I loved on the 5119 when I first got into watches.

So for me the the AD question is more I’d want to own the 6119r regardless. If I’d be able to also add the aquanaut along with it I’d be open to breaking the rule and paying retail on 6119r. If not I’d just go grey for the 6119r and take the savings (which I expect to be more as the market cools).

Thanks for the insights
Then consider you're paying just slightly more for a chance to get 5167a retail? I don't think 6119 grey is far cheaper anyway
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote