The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2024, 05:27 AM   #1
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
“Batman” moisture under the crystal after Rolex service

I’ve had this GMT Master II Batman since 2020. It is still under warranty. Last year I brought it to Rolex in NYC because it’s amplitude was low and it was losing about 8 seconds a day. Rolex took it in and gave it back to me a month later in what seemed to be good working order.

I’ve worn the watch sporadically but it mostly sits in my box. I’m an airline pilot and alternate between this watch and a Pepsi when I go on a work trip. When I’m home I wear mostly my Daytona, or other brands. On this work trip the watch was working flawlessly for a week, but on Friday I had an early departure from a cold weather airport. I went from a hot car to the cold 30°F air, to a balmy airport warehouse. I walked across wearing my thick coat, so I sweat a bit. From there I did a walk around the airplane in the cold, then walked into the cockpit where it was hot again. When I look at the watch, it had condensation under the crystal. I thought it would go away, but it didn’t. It’s been there for a few days. The watch has not touched any water in recent memory, certainly not after Rolex had it. I don’t shower with it. I haven’t gone in a pool or any body of water. The crown is always locked tightly. It wear this watch just for traveling for work. It has never been dropped or banged.

I called Rolex today Monday morning, and they asked me to ship them the watch. Of course they asked me if I went into water with he crown fully open. I have opted instead to ship it to my AD this time, as they are an authorized service center for Rolex and I trust the watchmaker. I am shocked that this would happen to a Rolex. The brand has such a reputation for reliability that it’s just inconceivable that this is a problem. Not even my 1967 Navitimer has had an issue like this.

Just wanted to share this experience, to see if anyone else has had this issues, and to vent. My assumption is that something went wrong with the seal behind the crystal or the case back. Maybe it wasn’t sealed correctly when it was serviced last year and with the rapid changes in pressure altitude and temperature the seal failed and it absorbed my sweat.

Here is a picture of the watch immediately after I sat down and noticed the condensation. 3 days later it’s still there. Gonna overnight it to the watchmaker tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys updated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3364.jpeg (219.7 KB, 811 views)

Last edited by Lol-x; 13 February 2024 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: edited
Mannymal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:56 AM   #2
jgallego13
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain. This happened to me over the weekend after attempting to clean my BLNR with soap and water (toddler got food on the watch). Crown was locked down tight. Didn’t notice a thing until later that evening stepping outside into “cold air” and noticing condensation under the crystal. Dropped it off at the AD yesterday to be sent to RSC.

It is also a 2020 126710.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1017.jpeg (263.2 KB, 768 views)
jgallego13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:50 AM   #3
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Damn, sorry to see and hear about your BLNR’s. I always rinse my watches w pump hand soap & warm water while at work. Excluding the speedy & pam111.
Old 13 February 2024, 09:10 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sorry to hear about this. Too many QC issues are never good for the prestige of a brand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:12 AM   #5
Bakelite
Banned

Watch: blro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Too many QC issues are never good for the prestige of a brand.
That’s why Rolex enjoys such high prestige.
Bakelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:16 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Catastrophic gasket failure. Not common at all. But even if you did get it wet with the crown open, it wouldn’t get any water intrusion unless you were really diving.
Old 13 February 2024, 09:26 AM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Doesn’t look good especially on a watch so young. Hopefully you can get it sorted as soon as possible with your local AD and it’ll be interesting to hear what they make of it
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 10:04 AM   #8
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
There are three points of failure. There is a plastic gasket sleeve that goes around the crystal there is the rubber caseback gasket and there are several rubber gaskets in the crown.

one of these or more have failed. This should have been an easy catch for Rolex after first vacuum test to a wet a deep pressure test moving to moisture evaporation test. This should never have happened after a service too bad to hear it. I would send it back and I would ask for new hands new date wheel and new dial as well as a full movement service
Old 13 February 2024, 10:15 AM   #9
Bakelite
Banned

Pilots generally have exceptional attention to detail but the fact the post has been double posted leads me to wonder, was the crown, in fact, sealed? Surely even a cursory check would have revealed the sloppy posting?
Old 13 February 2024, 10:34 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If the watch was in good working order, the most likely point of failure would be the crystal to case gasket.

On occasion a hard knock can push the crystal and seal apart. Of course it could be other things, but this one would not be a warranty issue.
Old 13 February 2024, 10:37 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakelite View Post
Pilots generally have exceptional attention to detail but the fact the post has been double posted leads me to wonder, was the crown, in fact, sealed? Surely even a cursory check would have revealed the sloppy posting?

Strange statement, on your part, but even if the crown was not sealed, this should not, and would not have happened, unless one of the gaskets failed.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 10:37 AM   #12
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Sorry everyone about the double-post, I was posting from my phone browser on an airplane WiFi and it must have glitched out when I submitted. Looked fine on the preview, but maybe I did not zoom out enough. Too late to edit.

Quote:
I hope you are joking? The statement about me lying about the crown being open because I double-posted is beyond asinine.

Last edited by Mannymal; 13 February 2024 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Added context
Old 13 February 2024, 10:44 AM   #13
Bakelite
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymal View Post
Sorry everyone about the double-post, I was posting from my phone browser on an airplane WiFi and it must have glitched out when I submitted. Looked fine on the preview.

I hope you are joking? The post looked fine when I previewed it, then it was approved by moderators. I’m posting from a phone browser and an airplane WiFi (deadheading) so maybe it glitched out. The statement about me lying about the crown being open because I double-posted is asinine.
Ouch! You told me, or rather I had to tell you about your lack of attention to detail.
Old 13 February 2024, 10:46 AM   #14
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ouch! You told me, or rather I had to tell you about your lack of attention to detail.
That’s it, blocked.
Old 13 February 2024, 10:47 AM   #15
Bakelite
Banned

Quote:
That’s it, blocked.
Let me know if you need help navigating the website settings.
Old 13 February 2024, 10:54 AM   #16
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
There are three points of failure. There is a plastic gasket sleeve that goes around the crystal there is the rubber caseback gasket and there are several rubber gaskets in the crown.

one of these or more have failed. This should have been an easy catch for Rolex after first vacuum test to a wet a deep pressure test moving to moisture evaporation test. This should never have happened after a service too bad to hear it. I would send it back and I would ask for new hands new date wheel and new dial as well as a full movement service
Hopefully there is no permanent damage. The AD will receive it tomorrow morning and check. The hands being made of white gold, I imagine they will be unaffected? Not sure about the other components.
Old 13 February 2024, 11:08 AM   #17
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Well that’s quite an introduction. Thanks for letting us get to know you a little better.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 11:09 AM   #18
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Well that’s quite an introduction. Thanks for letting us get to know you a little better.
Just report him and add him to your ignore list.
Old 13 February 2024, 11:09 AM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry everyone about the double-post, I was posting from my phone browser on an airplane WiFi and it must have glitched out when I submitted. Looked fine on the preview, but maybe I did not zoom out enough. Too late to edit.
Not a worry. Welcome to the forum.
Old 13 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you but I don’t block. There are still lessons to be learned from people I disagree with.
Old 13 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #21
KatGirl

“Batman” moisture under the crystal after Rolex service

Quote:

No more worries. He’s gone! Hope you get your watch sorted out quickly.

Kat

Old 13 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #22
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallego13 View Post
I feel your pain. This happened to me over the weekend after attempting to clean my BLNR with soap and water (toddler got food on the watch). Crown was locked down tight. Didn’t notice a thing until later that evening stepping outside into “cold air” and noticing condensation under the crystal. Dropped it off at the AD yesterday to be sent to RSC.

Sorry to see this. At least we can have the comfort of knowing we are not the one �� good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
No more worries. He’s gone! Hope you get your watch sorted out quickly.

Kat

Cheers! And I’ve read about the double gasket system on Rolex watches. Very cool design. I imagine the point of failure on mine is either the case back or the crystal gasket.
Old 13 February 2024, 11:17 AM   #23
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Thank you but I don’t block. There are still lessons to be learned from people I disagree with.
I respect that. I follow that rule in the “real world”, but with online trolls it’s best to nip them in the bud. They crave attention.

anyways we can go back to talking about watches :)
Old 13 February 2024, 11:24 AM   #24
racerx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appears to be banned now.
racerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 11:28 AM   #25
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Appears to be banned now.
I haven’t participated in an online forum like this in years. I gotta say, good moderation team on this one.

Thanks everyone, I will post a follow up once my AD gets the watch. I miss it already. But this is a good excuse to go buy a Casio or Timex to use for the rest of this trip :)
Old 13 February 2024, 12:02 PM   #26
physicist
"TRF" Member

I have never seen a watch with, really, any level of condensation under the crystal. That is extreme and, in my opinion, something is definitely wrong.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 12:16 PM   #27
KatGirl

Things happen. Both the same model, and age, so possibly a defective group of gaskets got through QC. They will get their Batman’s sorted out.

Kat

Old 13 February 2024, 12:19 PM   #28
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallego13 View Post

What is going on with your bezel around the 18 mark? The blue - black transition at the 6 is smooth, but the other side looks odd to me. Surely that isn't just the lighting?
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 12:20 PM   #29
Mannymal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
What is going on with your bezel around the 18 mark? The blue - black transition at the 6 is smooth, but the other side looks odd to me. Surely that isn't just the lighting?
It's a reflection of the blue sky -- look at the trees above it. Neat play of light!
Old 13 February 2024, 12:28 PM   #30
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Let me know if you need help navigating the website settings.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote