The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 04:51 PM   #1
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Yacht Master 40 Slate Dial

Question and just opinion is all I’m asking. I know whatever ya’ll say it’s still whatever I feel like doing at the end of the day.

I decided to go with a Rose Gold Oysterflex. Still deciding on year and dial but more than likely reference number 126515LN.

I currently have BLRO on Jubilee and a Sky Dweller Blue Dial on Jubilee.

I really love the Yacht Master 40 with the slate dial and the beautiful light blue accents. My guy I work with said that if I do both, he’ll give me a good deal on the yacht master.

Knowing what I currently have and what I’m gonna get what are your thoughts on adding this one. I really really like it. Did I mention that?

WatchEnthusiast7369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 06:29 PM   #2
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

I really like that one too and also agree with everything in your watch collection. If you really really like it then it’s a no brainer. However do you have non-Rolex pieces also? You’re a little Rolex heavy.

There’s a world of nice references out there. Take a stroll through South Coast Plaza and try on other brands.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:06 PM   #3
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Stunning watch - both current YM40’s are awesome.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:27 PM   #4
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
With brushed lugs and bracelet, the YM would be far more desireable to me, I feel it's just a little too bling as is.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:39 PM   #5
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:45 PM   #6
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
With brushed lugs and bracelet, the YM would be far more desireable to me, I feel it's just a little too bling as is.
I think its supposed to be a bit of a posher Sub or GMT, so the flash with the polished lugs and centre links is deliberate.

OP, I've had the old Platinum dial since 2003 and it wears amazingly well, super comfortable due to its non maxi more Daytona case size and shape, and lighter weight, and is that nice balance between sporty and dressy.

Only issue is the bezel. Its vulnerable and scratches easily and is very difficult to refinish. If you have any sort of perfection OCD do not go there. I am super careful and baby my watches, this is how it will end up, fairly quickly. I would assume at some point they will put a ceramic insert in like the Oysterflex ones, at that point it will be spot on, until then I urge caution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9137.jpeg (269.7 KB, 747 views)
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:33 PM   #7
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The YM40 is my first and most worn Rolex. I got mine in 2015 and boy, do I love it!
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:38 PM   #8
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I love it too, I’d just get it. Someone here puts in on a blue rubber strap for the summer and it looks amazing.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:53 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like it. The dial color is strong and you do not have anything like it. Why not pick it up and see if it works for you. Always room for one one watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:59 PM   #10
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It really is a great and versatile piece. Can be worn casual or dressed up and it’s quite slim…good luck!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:00 PM   #11
davek35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alksion View Post

One regret I have with watches is not buying one of these that was offered to me in 2019.

Beautiful watch!!!
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:01 AM   #12
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I really like that one too and also agree with everything in your watch collection. If you really really like it then it’s a no brainer. However do you have non-Rolex pieces also? You’re a little Rolex heavy.

There’s a world of nice references out there. Take a stroll through South Coast Plaza and try on other brands.

Trust me, I have my eyes on a few other brands but I wanted to get four heavy hitters of Rolex at first that was my original goal before I moved on. I am at South Coast Plaza, every other weekend, browsing through the different watch stores :)
Old 21 February 2024, 01:03 AM   #13
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
I think its supposed to be a bit of a posher Sub or GMT, so the flash with the polished lugs and centre links is deliberate.

OP, I've had the old Platinum dial since 2003 and it wears amazingly well, super comfortable due to its non maxi more Daytona case size and shape, and lighter weight, and is that nice balance between sporty and dressy.

Only issue is the bezel. Its vulnerable and scratches easily and is very difficult to refinish. If you have any sort of perfection OCD do not go there. I am super careful and baby my watches, this is how it will end up, fairly quickly. I would assume at some point they will put a ceramic insert in like the Oysterflex ones, at that point it will be spot on, until then I urge caution.

I mean, I don’t like scratches just as much as the next person but I wear my BLRO like 80% of the time and unfortunately the clasp on the bracelet is definitely pretty scratched up because it gets so much use. Well I don’t like all the scratches hey, that’s part of it being worn so much and I can live with it.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:10 AM   #14
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I love it too, I’d just get it. Someone here puts in on a blue rubber strap for the summer and it looks amazing.

Same color as the dial?
Old 21 February 2024, 01:12 AM   #15
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like it. The dial color is strong and you do not have anything like it. Why not pick it up and see if it works for you. Always room for one one watch.

Yeah I am heavily leaning toward it. Then I’ll have my four watch Rolex collection and will start venturing out a bit to a few other brands until I come back for some heavy hitters like platinum models.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:14 AM   #16
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek35 View Post
One regret I have with watches is not buying one of these that was offered to me in 2019.

Beautiful watch!!!

Sounds like most of you are on the same page as me. I really love it too :)
Old 21 February 2024, 01:15 AM   #17
Polyesterpig
"TRF" Member

It is a beautiful watch. I don’t know if I have ever seen one in the wild. I see plenty of Daytonas, Submariners, GMT’s though at coffee shops and parties, but good deal is a relative term. Your picture shows the newer 126622 model movement, so worth a little more than the 116622. This watch weighs considerably more than a Submariner, due to the platinum bezel.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:55 AM   #18
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same color as the dial?
Yes. Pics in this thread. There are more pics out there too.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=787343
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:30 AM   #19
anodyne13
"TRF" Member

I have one and I love it. Amazing fit finish etc. it’s also less “Flashy” than a BLRO and just beautiful. Don’t be surprised if you end up wearing it the most out of all your watches.
anodyne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:58 AM   #20
swexlin
"TRF" Member

This one is one of two on my wish list at my AD. I love the blue hand, and that rhodium, it's a stunner.
swexlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:16 AM   #21
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have the YM 40 Rhodium. I have 5 other Rolex and this has always been my favorite and most comfortable watch I own. Good luck. I would buy it if I were you for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4795.jpeg (26.6 KB, 608 views)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:18 AM   #22
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyesterpig View Post
It is a beautiful watch. I don’t know if I have ever seen one in the wild. I see plenty of Daytonas, Submariners, GMT’s though at coffee shops and parties, but good deal is a relative term. Your picture shows the newer 126622 model movement, so worth a little more than the 116622. This watch weighs considerably more than a Submariner, due to the platinum bezel.

You’re correct I have never seen one in the wild. I have seen lots of GMTs including Pepsi. I have never seen my blue ski wheeler in the wild. I think I have seen some two-tone ones.
Old 21 February 2024, 04:21 AM   #23
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Yes. Pics in this thread. There are more pics out there too.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=787343

I just messaged him it looks so good
Old 21 February 2024, 04:23 AM   #24
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post

It's interesting because others say they wear theirs frequently and have very few marks or scratches.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:32 AM   #25
VegasBoy
"TRF" Member

I have that same watch (YM 40, slate dial)....LOVE it!!!
VegasBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:36 AM   #26
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBoy View Post
I have that same watch (YM 40, slate dial)....LOVE it!!!
I have the blue dial on order... I just can't deal with that baby blue hand on the slate dial. :(
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:57 AM   #27
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Get it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YM40_19Feb24.jpg (278.7 KB, 571 views)
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:40 AM   #28
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I mean, I don’t like scratches just as much as the next person but I wear my BLRO like 80% of the time and unfortunately the clasp on the bracelet is definitely pretty scratched up because it gets so much use. Well I don’t like all the scratches hey, that’s part of it being worn so much and I can live with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
It's interesting because others say they wear theirs frequently and have very few marks or scratches.
Yep, it’s a thing!

Hopefully the picture speaks for itself. And as I said I am light on wear, if you want to see worse put the model into eBay and have a look at the state of some.

First few were almost straight away. Rolex don’t like refinishing it and want to replace it, as it’s Platinum they were wanting £2-3k, can’t remember exactly.

Decided to just live with it, but it’s annoying, it’s not like scratches on the clasp or bracelet as it’s in your face all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9141.jpeg (285.3 KB, 557 views)
Old 21 February 2024, 05:59 AM   #29
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Get it!
Not relevant to this thread, but what a difference in the Platinum dials between a very early one and a late one, mine is an ancient 5 digit, before the Rolex script on the rehaut.

I have a heavy metallic fleck finish and yours is a much more matt effect. Yours looks so much fresher, the condition looks mint.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:05 AM   #30
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I owned this a few years back and sold to make room for another watch. Still regret it. Love the pop of baby blue