View Single Post
Old 1 February 2014, 11:42 PM   #142
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
^See, I'm new to this forum (and Rolex in general), I'm more of an Omega man, but I was thinking of possibly a Rolex for my next.

Theres always been bad connotations (although never entirely true) about Rolex owners and wearers (sometimes that view has been solidified, almost did it here with someone's response to my post) then there are responses from Michel that ensure me there are true enthusiasts out there.

Seems like a general split: the purists and the newer generation, if you will... but I always thought it was common amongst the Rolex WISs that something like Pepsi or Rootbeer or Hulk was used.

Johnbeth is right in the sense IF I walk into an AD and ask them about "the new Batman GMT" I might get a weird stare from the girl who's trained to know Rolex, but if the girl is also a WIS, then that may not be the case!

Anyway, beautiful watch. Enjoy it, I certainly like it...

Wow...it would appear that some of the Patek WIS's are a bit tightly wound and persnickety about the immaturity of many of us long time Rolex wearers.

In essence, the Submariner itself is a nickname settled on by Rolex after having trademarked several other nicknames and seeing which one resonated the most with their board members and marketing dept. some of the nicknames that ultimately didn't make the cut were "Frogman, Manometer and Dive-O-Graph. Of which, I believe there are at least a few examples of the Dive-O-Graph in the hands of some very well funded collectors. In fact, I think I once saw a pic of an existing Frogman in a collection as well!

As far as the sales staff at the AD's go, well....let's just say that their are countless threads about how unacceptable it is that they are so ignorant to the most basic levels of product knowledge for this brand.

Sometimes, I like to drink a Rootbeer or Pepsi whilst wearing my Hulk and watching Batman! And, if the scenes are really scary I will cuddle up to my Panda, as the Beast is to bulky and manly for such immature behavior!!!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote