The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2019, 04:23 AM   #31
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
This is a discussion about horrendous musicians wearing expensive watches.
Don't drag your BS race issues into it.
Jay-Z alone has sold over 35m albums. Add in Combs and you've probably got over 50m sales not counting other artists they brought up. Add in Beyonce and you got about 200m albums sold (more than the Beatles in the US). But yeah, tell us again how your comment isn't about race.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 05:12 AM   #32
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Some “interesting” people with some “interesting” opinions on here.

That 6300G is sure a cool piece! Pretty sure this is still a watch forum...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 05:19 AM   #33
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

This generation listens with their eyes.
Their music, if you can even call it that, is complete sh!t.

Wynton Marsalis is 1,000 x the musician of these two clowns combined.
Nice Patek though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 06:52 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Big pimpin
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 07:05 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Nice Patek though.

Yes and Lange makes watches 1000 times more refined than Rolex but you wear a crown lol
Old 20 December 2019, 07:06 AM   #36
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice Patek though.

sure right about wynton but there is a market economy out there in the wild...
i know quite a few dirt poor musicians who are much better than all those mentioned here.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 07:16 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Nice Patek though.

Eyes? With all due respect to him Jay-Z has got 99 problems and his face is all but one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 10:43 AM   #38
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of rappers that have made a lot of money.
Most have lost the majority of their earnings. The same can be said for a lot of sports personalities.

These two guys have built business empires that expand beyond music. They are far from stupid. I guess people get jealous easily these days.

Also it's pretty easy to see the generation gap in the Patek forums sometimes....put your walking canes away and chill out. Lol
Old 20 December 2019, 10:55 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly I am glad cruisebone brought Wynton Marsalis up because doing some reading on him seems he was a stick up his arse jackoff. Even his idol miles Davis referred to him as the police for criticizing everyone else's perception of what was good music.
Old 20 December 2019, 11:06 AM   #40
son5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah, they're so dumb they're both rich, famous, almost universally liked in their field, and can wear 2+ mil watches. Man, I wish I was as not smart as these two....
Exactly
son5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 03:20 PM   #41
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
No need to drag your political BS into a BS race discussion
+2
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 03:29 PM   #42
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Quote:
And neither worth a sh!t musically.
Wow now that’s a thought out response. Your opinion is highly valued.

Last edited by Gmt21; 20 December 2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Y
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 06:29 PM   #43
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
“The number one reason people hate America, the number one reason is because of our religion. Americans worship money, we worship money. Separate God from school, separate God from work, separate God from government but on your money it says in God we trust. All my life I’ve been looking for God and he’s right in my pocket! Americans worship money, and we all go to the same church, the church of ATM.”

— Chris Rock, Never Scared

That's why you have this president and these musicians.
It's all about money, not about talent and intelligence
Old 20 December 2019, 07:26 PM   #44
Keldw
"TRF" Member

Good on them for being able to live how most people can only ever dream of. I dont even like their music, but can only give a huge kudos to both

Beautiful watch btw

KW

https://www.instagram.com/rlx_dk/
Keldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 12:54 AM   #45
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
sure right about wynton but there is a market economy out there in the wild...
i know quite a few dirt poor musicians who are much better than all those mentioned here.
I have a sibling who is one of them. More talent in his pinky finger than these two clowns. Studio musician in NYC. That is why I am sensitive to low talent chumps like Kayne f'in West. That is the only reason why.
Old 21 December 2019, 12:59 AM   #46
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
ibtl
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 01:00 AM   #47
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
I have a sibling who is one of them. More talent in his pinky finger than these two clowns. Studio musician in NYC. That is why I am sensitive to low talent chumps like Kayne f'in West. That is the only reason why.
Well if that's true all they have to do is go out, start their own production company, produce their own albums, grind it out for years before making it big while risking everything they have, sign fresh talent that also becomes wildly popular, and become stupid rich. If these no talent hacks can do it, why hasn't your talented sibling done the same?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 01:12 AM   #48
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Honestly I am glad cruisebone brought Wynton Marsalis up because doing some reading on him seems he was a stick up his arse jackoff. Even his idol miles Davis referred to him as the police for criticizing everyone else's perception of what was good music.
I love Miles and Wynton. Wynton surely does know a lot about what good music is, although he is a stickler for what he considers "real" jazz, which I think is not fair to everything post 1965. When Wynton auditioned at Julliard they basically said, yeah, you can come to school here but we can't teach you anything that you don't already know. Wynton was a prodigy. In both Classical music and Jazz.
Old 21 December 2019, 01:54 AM   #49
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Well if that's true all they have to do is go out, start their own production company, produce their own albums, grind it out for years before making it big while risking everything they have, sign fresh talent that also becomes wildly popular, and become stupid rich. If these no talent hacks can do it, why hasn't your talented sibling done the same?
Your question is a non-starter. I also have family members who are a surgeon and an AF General. Smartest two in the family. They too have not conquered the world like these two clowns. Their professions have nothing to do with your question. My brother considers himself a technician as opposed to an artist and he never had the desire to conquer the world. He is doing exactly as he set out to do except that he reached the top of his profession. He knew he was never going to be rich, but he absolutely loves what he does every day of his life, which is a higher level of success than maybe 99% of the world.

As mentioned before, people listen with their eyes, which has nothing to do with Jay-Z's face. Whether it's about pop, or rap, or whatever style people are into, it's always about more than music, it's about pop culture and the ME society that currently dominates. That new talent you mention? Please, artists and record labels push who they want and the young impressionable kids who are their target audience will fall for anyone pushed on to them. This is nothing new. Who else are they going to idolize? Miles Davis? Mozart? No, because record labels aren't pushing Davis or Mozart on them. Justin Beiber's mother thought he was worthy and put videos on YouTube and look what happened. It's all a Popularity contest. If you like Jay-Z and West and hold them up as great artists, it is you who is being manipulated by the music industry. Don't feel bad, it happens to most people who don't know any better.

Every musician in every major orchestra in the world is a better musician than these two clowns. But West and Z's music is so devoid of challenge and complexity that there isn't really a reason to discuss it. It has nothing to do with their music, it's about the lifestyle, the culture, etc., which is exactly what the picture in the OP shows. Kayne is a megalomaniac narcissist so he had to try to conquer the world, and he was one of the lucky few who got away with it. Good for him. He's still an abject moron. Jay-Z has always seemed very smart to me, but West? Come on dude. Moron.

I'm not arguing their success or suggesting they didn't earn it, they both are clearly very hard workers. Good on them for being successful. I mean, sh!t, look at Taylor Swift. Same sh!t, different type of trash music. BTW, my sister in law performed with Kayne at one of his concerts 5-10 years ago. She didn't know who he was until after the concert. LOL. She's an odd one herself who lives in quite a different world.

Nice watches though.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:10 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I love Miles and Wynton. Wynton surely does know a lot about what good music is, although he is a stickler for what he considers "real" jazz, which I don't care for. When Wynton auditioned at Julliard they basically said, yeah, you can come to school here but we can't teach you anything that you don't already know. Wynton was a prodigy. In both Classical music and Jazz.
I know a bit about him as my high school music teacher had a hard on for him. He is sort of that guy so I get it.

I realize he's extremely talented I just found it apropos you'd chose Wynton given you share similar stances deciding what is good music regardless of the majority opinion.

Regardless I think if you take into account the origins of hip hop as a derivative art of spoken word you can have more respect for it when done well.

Hip hops origins are in DJs cutting up samples of their parents records for break dancers. The emcees job was to hype the DJ to the crowd and keep the party flowing. This evolved into a competitive sport of sorts as to who could come up with the slickest rhyme schemes while maintaining clear enunciation, breath control, and vocal presence.

It has been evolving ever since the early 1970s and along the way there has been several artists who took the art a step further and many who churned out garbage.

What you hear on the radio might be sub par but I assure you Jay Z has numerous tracks the have advanced the state of the art and while doing so managed to build numerous businesses by way.

All of this possible because he escaped the snare many artists fall into early on of a one sided record deal with the Berry Gordy types. He is as much a celebrated success story as he is an artist.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:14 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

For the record that is not Kanye west in the picture that is Sean combs. Completely different individual. Primarily a record executive and entrepreneur. He is most known for signing biggie smalls, founding bad boy entertainment and owning the Ciroc vodka brand.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:17 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

If memory serves me correct John and it usually does I think we had this exact change on here a few years ago lol

We have run out of topics.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:21 AM   #53
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know a bit about him as my high school music teacher had a hard on for him. He is sort of that guy so I get it.

I realize he's extremely talented I just found it apropos you'd chose Wynton given you share similar stances deciding what is good music regardless of the majority opinion.

Regardless I think if you take into account the origins of hip hop as a derivative art of spoken word you can have more respect for it when done well.

Hip hops origins are in DJs cutting up samples of their parents records for break dancers. The emcees job was to hype the DJ to the crowd and keep the party flowing. This evolved into a competitive sport of sorts as to who could come up with the slickest rhyme schemes while maintaining clear enunciation, breath control, and vocal presence.

It has been evolving ever since the early 1970s and along the way there has been several artists who took the art a step further and many who churned out garbage.

What you hear on the radio might be sub par but I assure you Jay Z has numerous tracks the have advanced the state of the art and while doing so managed to build numerous businesses by way.

All of this possible because he escaped the snare many artists fall into early on of a one sided record deal with the Berry Gordy types. He is as much a celebrated success story as he is an artist.
I understand the origins of rap. The spoken word is well appreciated, until it falls it falls into issues like drugs, gangs, murder, domestic violence, etc., in the lyrics! It's generally the "music" that is so lame due to it not being challenging or complex. There is nothing there musically. Like Pop, it's a bunch of auto-tune BS from people who can't sing with mostly electronic beat domination programmed into machines. That to me is noise, not music.
And I am not in lock step with Wynton on what great music is and it's not even close, but he is quite the standard when it comes to musical knowledge.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:22 AM   #54
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If memory serves me correct John and it usually does I think we had this exact change on here a few years ago lol

We have run out of topics.
I think so, and the "music" hasn't gotten any better.
Old 21 December 2019, 02:24 AM   #55
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Somebody's got to do it... What, no Rolex..? I need some Holy Trinity Love.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 03:03 AM   #56
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
This is a discussion about horrendous musicians wearing expensive watches.
Don't drag your BS race issues into it.
Nice try...careful backing up
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 03:25 AM   #57
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

No backing up on any of my posts.

Old 23 December 2019, 02:30 AM   #58
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

The jealously and insecurity in this thread is comical.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote