The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2020, 12:12 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Should a grail watch (Rolex) be obtainable?

A grail can be defined as "a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after (Google)."

Why is it then that some are of the mindset that a grail watch should be unobtainable? To answer such a question one needs to dive into why anyone would dub a watch a grail.

In watch collecting many seek a continuous flow of evolution. It always starts in the same manner with one watch. It rarely ends with that one watch. Like a spark that starts a fire the first watch, no matter what it is, becomes the item that kicks off a collectors run. The run usually consists of buying, selling, desiring and even rebuying time pieces along the way. For some it is buying, buying, buying and never selling. There is no right path but each collector follows a path with no real end in sight. Unless of course that end is a grail watch.

Ask any watch collector about a grail watch and the vast majority will have one. However, a grail can be defined in various ways. For some it is watch that is so unobtainable they will never purchase it for a multitude of reasons. For others it is a watch that is far out of reach but perhaps one day it will be theirs. Yet for some it is a watch that doesn't even exist at the time such as a Platinum Rolex Submariner. There are other ways a collector can dub a watch a grail the aforementioned are just a few examples.

To return the question at hand I believe collectors have a grail watch for one reason. To keep the drive going. To have something to aspire to achieve. If there is no ultimate watch then what is the point after all?

Presume after years of seeking, wanting, lusting one is able to purchase their grail watch. What happens next? Does the passion die? Does the fire burn more? Is one satisfied? Or does a new level grail watch appear? The answer to these questions varies with more width than there are watches in existance. I can only answer it from first hand experience.

I had the benefit of purchasing my grail watch, the Rolex 116618lb, just over half a year ago. A watch I never thought I would own I now do. For me, and now with retrospect of ownership, I know it is still my grail watch. But how do I know it to be true?

First, I wear the watch and use it. It is not tucked away in a safe. It is not babied. I do most anything with it. That said I am cognizant of not being careless while I am wearing it. For some this matters not but for me it matters. My definition of watch ownership is to enjoy by wearing it. In my opinion there is no better compliment for a watch itself. Secondly, my desire for a "better" watch has faded. In my mind I am wearing my grail. I love it. The feel of the watch and more importantly the way it makes me feel when I wear it. I have always been a fan of the submariner. The logical choice for a grail would be a gold one. The smile on my face will not fade. Third, the feeling of 'did I spend to much on this watch?' does not exist. I believe many toss and turn over whether a high priced grail watch is worth it. If it is truly your grail, in untested theory and in retrospect, it is worth it. There was a few minutes after the watch arrived in which I questioned it. What did I do? That feeling faded quite quickly. Lastly, the watch is like an old glove. It just fits perfectly.

There are many more reasons. Too many to memorialize in this post. These are just a few.

In my opinion, which is just my own, a grail watch does not have to be obtainable. However, if one has the opportunity to obtain a grail watch here is my advice - do so. The other side of grail ownership is very rewarding. The passion does not die. The reason to collect does not die either because there are always other watches and new ones are released every year. But this post is not about other watches. It is about those that are grails. As a reader of this who has not yet purchased their grail you may ask the question 'what is it like?.' Being on the other side, at least for now, my answer can be summarized with a single word - fantastic.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:31 AM   #2
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
I'm caffeinated and ready to rock...hold on...

My grail watch was always the Day Date. I bought one last year, finally.

It was a grail watch for me not because I couldn't afford it...I could certainly afford it...but it was always traditionally a watch that an "older person" wore. I would never have worn a DD in my 20s or 30s without looking like a dork or show-off.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I guess I no longer have a grail since I either own the watches I want or the next watch I desire keeps changing. The watch I really want is a minute repeater by pretty much any brand. That would be my exit watch.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:42 AM   #4
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I always found it strange people had a 'grail' watch. I always assumed, grail to mean the watch of your dreams, be it attainable or really a watch to only dream about.

Now a lot on here, post pics of their grail arriving and more often than not it is one of the 'hot' references; Daytona, Hulk, Pepsi, Batman, etc etc

Is it a grail because they found it hard to get or is it really their dream watch...?

For me, I don't have a target 'Grail' watch but when new watches get released every year, if something takes my fancy and I will ask my AD to get it for me. I have no taste for vintage and always buy brand new and never at a premium.

It's nice to get something that is hard to get, say a SS Daytona but if I didn't manage to get it, I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Ultimately, it's a first world problem.

So for me, there is no such thing as a Grail watch.
Old 5 January 2020, 12:43 AM   #5
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Imo a grail is a watch you desired for a long time. You could eventually own it or you may never own it, but affordability isn’t in the equation in my mind.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:44 AM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Deep bro deep. I don’t have any grails. I feel the the word grail is just a word used to describe the a highly sought after but difficult to get watch... if you can get it...it’s not a grail... just my feel.

I’ve never really believe in grails.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:46 AM   #7
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I finally achieved my ultimate grail a week ago today. DD40 which I never thought I would be able to acquire. Planets aligned at work, and I did not hesitate.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:50 AM   #8
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Yes - any goal should have some level of attainability.

There's always another peak to climb - a new grail.
Old 5 January 2020, 12:55 AM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Should a "grail" be more than something you simply pay for?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:57 AM   #10
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Yes eventually.
I got my Grail watch (an 116718 anniversary) last year too. It's a grail because of course I thought it was fantastical and cool when I first saw it, it's got such a cool history and story in the Rolex line, and I had never imagined I'd own a full $$$ PM piece.

But upon realizing the watch was discontinued, and through some shenanigans, I quite literally surprised myself with my Grail piece. And I have a big fat smile every time I wear it
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:00 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I call a grail watch one that can be obtained but not easily, and a holy grail would be one that is almost unobtainable, maybe due to an exorbitant price or extreme exclusivity. My aim was to get my grail trio collection, of 1 Rolex, AP and PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:12 AM   #12
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
unobtainable from a cost or an availability standpoint.....

I would say it could be either, but for me personally I have the strike it rich grails which are unobtainable due to my access to funds and then the grails which I hope to attain but put off due to priorities and or the WAF
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:30 AM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer to set my sites on something which is obtainable, with difficulty, if I can possibly get my hands on it, one day. If I can't ever have it, it's a dream, not my grail.

The Smurf is my grail watch at the moment (since getting my LV) because I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a watch. Any watch. If I work hard, get lucky and sweat for a few more years, maybe, just maybe I might be able to justify buying one. That's what a grail is to me, because the day might come when I can get both hands around it. If I keep working.

It could be this isn't how others define a grail. Each to our own. My objectives, however distant and difficult, must be attainable. Otherwise I'm just setting myself up for failure.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:39 AM   #14
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

To me, I think of grail as a mix of affordability and hard to get, but more affordability at the moment for me. I am in my young 20s and have my sights on a new Rolex DD YG 36. Since it’s a PM watch, very expensive. However, I will be able to afford it within the next 18 months. So that is my grail as of now. Maybe after I have that I will want a SS. Hopefully by purchasing a DD at my AD will help get me on a “list”. We will see. Nice post!
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #15
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
I'm caffeinated and ready to rock...hold on...

My grail watch was always the Day Date. I bought one last year, finally.

It was a grail watch for me not because I couldn't afford it...I could certainly afford it...but it was always traditionally a watch that an "older person" wore. I would never have worn a DD in my 20s or 30s without looking like a dork or show-off.
How old do you have to be to pull off a DD? I’m 49 (50 in March) and I should have my 40mm YG black dial with baguettes in 30-60 days.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:56 AM   #16
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Still waiting for the unicorn.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #17
Brew
"TRF" Member

Should a "grail" watch be personal? I always thought a grail was singular, special, and sought be all believers. I think the word is over used.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #18
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Grail, the object of an extended and difficult quest.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:06 AM   #19
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Should a grail watch (Rolex) be obtainable?

I don’t believe in grail watches. However if I did I think it really needs to stick to what a “grail” should be by definition. (My definition)

A grail should not be easily obtainable. However this doesn’t mean it is rare or hard to find. However there must be some sort of journey involved.

This journey could be a financial one saving up for it. It could also be searching for the perfect vintage watch in just the right condition. Or it could be a modem watch in high demand. But the key here is it must involve time spent.

Second, the watch much change you in some way. Perhaps it doesn’t give you eternal life... but it should be special in some way. Perhaps it’s marking a special achievement. But it should have a significant impact on you.

Lastly, there can only be one grail in a persons lifetime. And after achieving that grail the change described above should also include the extinguishing is the thirst to search for the next grail (because there isn’t one). That doesn’t mean one couldn’t still acquire new watches. But they’d always be second to the true grail.

Now I could never ever do this.... but maybe some out there can!
Old 5 January 2020, 03:07 AM   #20
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

is your grail watch also your exit watch , i think i might push the pause button after a mad year of collecting and actually enjoy a attained "grail" watch
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:09 AM   #21
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
The watch I really want is a minute repeater by pretty much any brand. That would be my exit watch.
Yes this is the one for me as well. PP at the top of the list but this is going to be at least a 20 year quest so no constraints as of yet.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:17 AM   #22
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Think I'd put my tools down and walk for a 5740...
Annnnnnnnd a 15202or.
Annnnnnnnd a platona

The grail set

Attainable?
I hope so.... But I doubt it
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:20 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I call a grail watch one that can be obtained but not easily, and a holy grail would be one that is almost unobtainable, maybe due to an exorbitant price or extreme exclusivity. My aim was to get my grail trio collection, of 1 Rolex, AP and PP.
You’ve done well buddy.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I guess I no longer have a grail since I either own the watches I want or the next watch I desire keeps changing. The watch I really want is a minute repeater by pretty much any brand. That would be my exit watch.
I tend to agree with this ... except for the part about the minute repeater
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:27 AM   #25
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
I don’t think we’ll ever obtain our “grail” as we will always have a new target in mind, especially if we continue to read this forum.
From my humble Swiss Army Diver (the beginning of the bug), I slowly moved through the watch ranks of Tissot, Oris, Tag Heuer, Omega, Tudor, Breitling, and finally Rolex. After acquiring my first “grail” which was a 16610, my radar turned to a new “grail,” a 116710LN. It turned into my current 116613LB and now my “grail” is a 116618LN.
Slight issue...do I go “grail” or parlay... I’ve always fancied a 116713 so big question is to have one 116618 or two (116613 and 116713).

Obtaining your “grail” is like achieving a milestone then working towards a new one.

Shout out to our fellow forum enablers. Lol.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #26
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
I have had several graal,
but obtained one then came another
5513 mf
Blancpain fifty fath.
16518 (Zenith)
116613LB
Deepsea D blue

a only single grail ? is a blessing
Old 5 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #27
billfredericks

Watch: Milgauss
Obtainable? Yes. But, the grail cannot pass beyond the great seal. That is the boundary and the price of immortality.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #28
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Should a grail watch be obtainable?
What do you mean by "should"? What are you trying to optimize for?

For example, do you mean: "In order for you to be happier, should you ever acquire your grail watch?"
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 05:13 AM   #29
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
We must always remind ourselves, these watches are merely “things” and possessions. They will never make us happy. With that said, let’s enjoy the journey to the “grail.”
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 05:21 AM   #30
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
You should love them all equally. Just like your children.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote