The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2020, 03:45 AM   #61
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

To a Rolex AD, doesn't really matter I think in the current enviornment. They have their big customers to look after anyways, hard to service new customers, especially when everyone that is a large customer has spiked their buying. (Just think about how many TRF'ers have bought 3-4 SS in the last year because it was offered and 'value' too good to pass up).

For say a non-Rolex dealer, yes, I wear a PM piece to help make it easier for the SA to pre-qualify that if they can obtain the piece for me, I'm able to make a purchase of that size. Kind of like a high end car dealer sales rep seeing what you drive currently. Skips the soft vetting so we can get down to the likelyhood they can help me find what I'm looking for.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:47 AM   #62
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Never...…!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:49 AM   #63
Gary Anderson
"TRF" Member

I am in a relationship with my AD so always wear my nicest piece.
Gary Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:54 AM   #64
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Same here, I'm usually wearing a suit and tie in a city where nobody seem to own a suit.

I once strolled around a watch store (multi-brand, including Rolex) in a mall, I didn't talk to anyone I just glanced at the shelves and was about to leave, then some SA ran through the store trying to get my attention and asking if they could do something for me.

In my experience, I think what you wear has a great impact onto how people perceive you (at least on people that don't know you).

I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, just my personal experience.
Your perception is absolute correct.

Regardless of what some people may want to believe otherwise, appearances make a significant difference in forming the first impressions in human communication. It’s the only thing people have to size each other up in the initial encounters in the absence of any other pertinent information to make decisions.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:38 AM   #65
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Yeah usually hulk or Daytona so they know I know what’s up.
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #66
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

If it’s a premeditated visit to an AD then I’ll often wear whichever watch I want to compare with the one I’m trying on. However, most of my AD visits are not pre-planned, so I’m just wearing whatever watch I have on that day.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:13 AM   #67
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Well, talking about over thinking....
Glad we agree that this kind of behavior (either way) is over thinking...

Quote:
(This is out of topic but) Do you seriously believe the AD is thinking about giving Submariners to people that "need the most"?
Yes, I do believe that many of the AD’s want to also keep as many customers happy as well - not just VIP’s...the proof of this is right here on this forum as many here would not have received their SS watches of this was not the case. It’s very simple to understand.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:19 AM   #68
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anestheticsaregood View Post
Yeah usually hulk or Daytona so they know I know what’s up.

cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:29 AM   #69
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I don't think much about it, I just wear whatever watch I happen to have on. They seem to want to know what amount you are willing to spend.
Old 6 January 2020, 05:30 AM   #70
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I do think about it, here are a few scenarios.

1) I went into our local Patek Philippe AD on my 50th birthday several months ago to see what kind of hoops I’d have to jump through to get an Aquanaut 5164. I indicated that I was open to starting a relationship with other purchases. The owner took a long glance at my wrist and noticed I was wearing my Tudor Black Bay S&G, then basically told me I would never get one. I am guessing if I had my Day-Date on I might have been qualified a bit more. For what it’s worth, I am never going back there, and they probably lost a Calatrava sale that day.

2) I wore a Tudor Heritage Chrono to one of two ADs that I have done most of my business with. I had bought the Tudor some time before, at another dealer. My SA noticed it and seemed a tiny bit upset that I hadn’t bought it from her. I now try not to wear watches that I have bought elsewhere to that store, she has come through for me in a big way on a number “hard to get” pieces I have acquired.

3) After the Patek dealer fiasco, I wanted to go look at some other high end watches, and in particular Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chrono and Dual Time. (Over time I want to acquire one watch from each of the Holy Trinity). I decided I’d wear my blue dial Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph. The sales person there took me very seriously and took the time to show me all the pieces I was interested in and detailed the process for getting the colours of watch I wanted. Took my name, told me she’d call when they got one and put me down for events and mailings from VC.

I usually either dress in Levi’s jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt or in a suit, no in between. When I go to a watch store, the piece in my wrist, reflects the amount of attention I want from sales staff. And it works just fine, walk into a high end watch shop wearing a Seiko 5 and you will be able to browse to your heart’s content without being bothered. Wear an AP and the sales staff will show you $100,000 watches all day and hit you up like it’s 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:54 AM   #71
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
I'm conscious of whatever is on me, a watch salesperson has nothing at all to do with it.... They'd rather see your credit card in your hand, I'd bet.
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:14 AM   #72
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I usually wear a vintage sport model, and they don’t usually even know what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:17 AM   #73
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRISTROLEX View Post
I'm conscious of whatever is on me, a watch salesperson has nothing at all to do with it.... They'd rather see your credit card in your hand, I'd bet.
Next time I will walk in with a wad of bank bills in my pocket, and slap it on the counter when I start talking with them.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:22 AM   #74
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
Quote:
Next time I will walk in with a wad of bank bills in my pocket, and slap it on the counter when I start talking with them.
It's not about what I already have, it's about what I want . Keep in mind they can only except 9999.99 in cash....
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:23 AM   #75
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
I do think about it, here are a few scenarios.

1) I went into our local Patek Philippe AD on my 50th birthday several months ago to see what kind of hoops I’d have to jump through to get an Aquanaut 5164. I indicated that I was open to starting a relationship with other purchases. The owner took a long glance at my wrist and noticed I was wearing my Tudor Black Bay S&G, then basically told me I would never get one. I am guessing if I had my Day-Date on I might have been qualified a bit more. For what it’s worth, I am never going back there, and they probably lost a Calatrava sale that day.

2) I wore a Tudor Heritage Chrono to one of two ADs that I have done most of my business with. I had bought the Tudor some time before, at another dealer. My SA noticed it and seemed a tiny bit upset that I hadn’t bought it from her. I now try not to wear watches that I have bought elsewhere to that store, she has come through for me in a big way on a number “hard to get” pieces I have acquired.

3) After the Patek dealer fiasco, I wanted to go look at some other high end watches, and in particular Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chrono and Dual Time. (Over time I want to acquire one watch from each of the Holy Trinity). I decided I’d wear my blue dial Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph. The sales person there took me very seriously and took the time to show me all the pieces I was interested in and detailed the process for getting the colours of watch I wanted. Took my name, told me she’d call when they got one and put me down for events and mailings from VC.

I usually either dress in Levi’s jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt or in a suit, no in between. When I go to a watch store, the piece in my wrist, reflects the amount of attention I want from sales staff. And it works just fine, walk into a high end watch shop wearing a Seiko 5 and you will be able to browse to your heart’s content without being bothered. Wear an AP and the sales staff will show you $100,000 watches all day and hit you up like it’s 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line.
Make me cringe every time I hear about that happening and it happens TOO often in my opinion- and hopefully those ADs can stay in business based on their VIP lists.... and we all know - It takes WAY more than VIPs to keep an AD in BUSINESS.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:32 AM   #76
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Interesting question.. I guess I do since I remember? When I go to my Rolex AD I wear an Omega and when I go to my Omega AD I wear a Rolex. At least that has been my pattern now that I think about it. I honestly don't think I plan it that way but who knows, the subconscious is a strange thing.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:33 AM   #77
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I actually do, as I do for anywhere else I go!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:34 AM   #78
calh22a
Banned

I’ve noticed it makes a difference. I get a lot more attention when I’m wearing an AP or Daytona when I walk in. Sometimes it gets annoying as the SAs won’t leave you alone as I believe they think you are a serious buyer.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:43 AM   #79
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I had to laugh when I saw this post. I remember walking into AD in Palm Beach and one of the salespersons seemed to put my Sub 1680 down by reminding how old it was...by the way, my 1680 was in prime condition after an overhaul. I don’t think you could ever win with salespeople.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:51 AM   #80
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
I’ve noticed it makes a difference. I get a lot more attention when I’m wearing an AP or Daytona when I walk in. Sometimes it gets annoying as the SAs won’t leave you alone as I believe they think you are a serious buyer.
I’m always serious when I go into an AD or Boutique. It just depends on whether are not they are....
Old 6 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #81
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I always try to wear the same brand as the one carried by the AD, as long as I happen to own such brand of course. If at all possible I even wear the piece I previously bought from that AD and make sure I let them know..
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 07:29 AM   #82
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
Depends. If I'm just going to browse then I'll wear something nice, simply because in my experience you're far more likely to be taken seriously by a sales assistant if you're wearing a high end watch when wanting to look at a high end watch. Therefore they're more likely to show you more prestigious models. I feel my age (27) might play a part in this as well. Someone my age wearing a €10 Casio and wanting to try on a 10k watch just screams "tyre kicker".

But if I'm actually interested in going to buy a watch then I couldn't care less what I'm wearing.

P.S. not that there's anything wrong with Casio! I own plenty of them

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:09 AM   #83
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Make me cringe every time I hear about that happening and it happens TOO often in my opinion- and hopefully those ADs can stay in business based on their VIP lists.... and we all know - It takes WAY more than VIPs to keep an AD in BUSINESS.
I don’t have a problem with hearing the truth. I know some people will get mad when confronted with honesty, but I’d much rather hear “we have lots of clients who spend $$$$$$ a year who want it, I will not be able to get you on the wait list” or “we can get that watch for you in around 3 months if you buy a Two Tone DateJust too” rather than being told I’ll be put on a 5 year wait list, that doesn’t really exist and having my time wasted.

If I know I am never going to get the watch at an AD, I can make a rational and informed decision of whether to pay grey prices, or forget about buying that model. If I put myself in their position, why would they sell a rare(ish?) piece that commands more that twice the MSRP to a random walk in when they have 20 big hitters in line for it?

I just wonder if I would have got a different treatment if I was wearing a Canali suit with my Day Date on.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:43 AM   #84
clb521
"TRF" Member

I wear whatever Rolex I feel like wearing that day. That said most ADs may notice it and comment but at the end of the day they only care if they can sell you something. If your going in to ask for a hard to find watch, it doesnt matter what your wearing, they will tell you they dont have it.

If you have a relationship with them, it may spark some conversation but if its to a random AD then I dont think it does much good.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:30 AM   #85
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
I don’t have a problem with hearing the truth. I know some people will get mad when confronted with honesty, but I’d much rather hear “we have lots of clients who spend $$$$$$ a year who want it, I will not be able to get you on the wait list” or “we can get that watch for you in around 3 months if you buy a Two Tone DateJust too” rather than being told I’ll be put on a 5 year wait list, that doesn’t really exist and having my time wasted.

If I know I am never going to get the watch at an AD, I can make a rational and informed decision of whether to pay grey prices, or forget about buying that model. If I put myself in their position, why would they sell a rare(ish?) piece that commands more that twice the MSRP to a random walk in when they have 20 big hitters in line for it?

I just wonder if I would have got a different treatment if I was wearing a Canali suit with my Day Date on.

I’ve been lucky throughout the years to have the connections and relationships that I have - and have been able to pretty much get whatever references I have been after. As of late. I have passed on everything since the Daytonas - because of this nonsense we have all been seeing. I would honestly rather give someone just getting into the hobby a chance to get something they want (or think they want).

First time in a long time, I haven’t been chasing some reference or another.

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 January 2020, 10:36 AM   #86
RL777
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the situation, if your visiting somewhere new with no history then a tasteful piece can really to show that either your not just wasting their time and that you are actually into watches and not just "jewelry/branding"
RL777 is offline   Reply With Quote