The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2020, 04:23 AM   #1
Dualinput
"TRF" Member

126710BLRO MK1 serials?

Trying to find a used "MK1" BLRO (lighter bezel colors)
Any idea how to identify one as being an MK1? In terms of serial because on pictures it's literally impossible.
Dualinput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 04:26 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Why though?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 04:46 AM   #3
Importer_Exporter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Serials are randomized. I have a 2 that I got shortly after the switch. But telling you my serial wouldn’t help your cause.

Other than preference on looks, there’s no point in paying more. If you get it serviced and the bezel needed to be swapped you’d be getting the current colors.
Old 11 February 2020, 04:52 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualinput View Post
Any idea how to identify one as being an MK1? In terms of serial because on pictures it's literally impossible.
You have this backwards. The random serial numbers will never give you any determination on this. Pictures on the other hand are pretty easy to tell.

here's are three variations, pretty easy to see a difference IMO. That said, when you're looking at sales threads, I know why it would be difficult to determine whether or not it's an MK1. But you will need to trust your seller. If they're not sure perhaps move on.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 04:58 AM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importer_Exporter View Post
Serials are randomized. I have a 2 that I got shortly after the switch. But telling you my serial wouldn’t help your cause.

Other than preference on looks, there’s no point in paying more. If you get it serviced and the bezel needed to be swapped you’d be getting the current colors.
if you say it's worth nothing more to you that's fine, but the same way I can't tell you an MK1 bezel will be worth more in the future, you can't tell me it won't be.

The "you don't have a crystal ball" arguement goes both ways.

I get what you're saying about the service/replacement parts issue. But first off, just don't shatter the insert, otherwise it's virtually scratch-proof and really shouldn't ever need to be replaced.

Second, think about what you're saying. Don't pay extra cause it's not rare, BUT if you have to replace the bezel insert, it will literally be irreplaceable?
Old 11 February 2020, 05:52 AM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It's pretty easy to determine if you know what you're looking for because the colors are noticeably brighter.
As Chadri said, your seller should be able to tell you as well as long as they know the differences.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 06:07 AM   #7
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

I'd urge caution on judging colours on photographs in isolation

Even with my phone set on standard images the colours always look different. Simple filters will either make them pop or turn into pastel.

Just my thoughts
Randomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 06:19 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

No way to tell via serial. The older the warranty card date, the more likely.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Firstly, modern Rolex watches do not have a serial number.

They have a reference code that is made up of a random combination of 6 digits - both letters & numbers.

The key word here being RANDOM

They do not run in series so should not be referred to as serial numbers because they are not produced in sequence from one watch to the next.

How then could it ever be possible to determine, from something that is given a randomly produced reference code, which version of a bezel colour any particular given watch may have????

It can’t, it’s impossible

Personally, at nearly 51 years old, I do not particularly care about potential future market values of my watch collection - I’ve got better things to do with the next & very possibly my last 30 years on this Earth than to sit around waiting to see if they increase in value or not.

I’m just going to enjoy the damn things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 06:47 AM   #10
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
126710BLRO MK1 serials?

There really are no guarantees, even if you base it off the warranty date on the card. There are recent examples of BLROs being sold at ADs that look similar to the claimed first batch.

Here is a prime example of not being able to solely trust the pictures you see online. All are my BLRO and the same watch. Good luck in your hunt!

watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Max, suggest Edit typo from 6 digits to 8 digits.
Good post.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:10 AM   #12
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:

If the seller has a store front, go to them and see them in the steel. I’ve had a few people send me pics thinking they had a mk1 and it was a mk2. The bezel is a chameleon and changes colors..... and the warranty card is not going to guarantee anything. It’s maddening, but if you really like the colors, I feel it’s going to be super collectible down the road.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Don’t buy into the hype, there is little difference between the dials and they still generally appear that Rolex has not yet mastered the colors, and continues to look purplish.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 02:16 PM   #14
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
If your heart is set on an MK1 your better off looking for one that was released early in the production run. You can do that by the date on the warranty card. However, the bezel on the MK1 has a lighter red and blue color compared to the later released ones.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 03:05 PM   #15
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't all black dial white gold Pepsi all have the "MK 1"?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 07:38 PM   #16
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Don’t buy into the hype, there is little difference between the dials and they still generally appear that Rolex has not yet mastered the colors, and continues to look purplish.
The latest ones look blackish. Strange alchemical magic at play.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 07:57 PM   #17
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

They have a reference code that is made up of a random combination of 6 digits - both letters & numbers.

That’s not true. Not sure what model Rolex you own, but it you pick up the warranty card, it clearly says “serial” with a number following it. This number is the same as the one in the rehaut on modern Rolex. It is it’s serial number like a vin for a vehicle.
The warranty card also says “model” followed by a number which is widely known as the reference number, in this case that would be 126710.

However, what the op is asking won’t help with squat because the serial numbers are random now, no order, so no way to date a watch with it, except by if the papers are dated. But even in this case, what you need is the watch in hand and in good lighting. Even then, what you really need is several to compare with, because in the right like the others still look purple-ish.
Glad I don’t care about this silly stuff, just enjoy the watch I got.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 08:11 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
No such thing as a MK1 they only exist in internet land,there maybe there are a few so called colour variations but thats all they are. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 09:16 PM   #19
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It is my perception that pretty much all of the 1st year releases are what is mostly accepted as MK1. That’s going to be any watch with a date on the card from about May 2018 to about May 2019. Not a hard rule, but a decent gauge.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 10:31 PM   #20
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Keep your eyes open and buy one when you see it. That’s the only way.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:12 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
It is my perception that pretty much all of the 1st year releases are what is mostly accepted as MK1. That’s going to be any watch with a date on the card from about May 2018 to about May 2019. Not a hard rule, but a decent gauge.
And some of the ones showing up at ADs now

As Peter said, it’s more of a slight color variation in the bezels from batch to batch than anything else IMO
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:36 PM   #22
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

They do.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:39 PM   #23
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
In person, it’s pretty simple to identify the Mk1 bezels if you so desire, despite what all the old miseries on here say. Lighting conditions on pictures can be misleading, but in person just look for pastel shades.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 11:39 PM   #24
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
Wouldn't all black dial white gold Pepsi all have the "MK 1"?
This seems like the best way to be sure you’re getting the MK1 bezel. Probably the rarer discontinued blue dial 116719BLRO will have the MK1 bezel as well, but these trade at a significant premium over the black dial version.

Otherwise if it’s a grey dealer with a store you can go look in person. The pastel colors of the MK1 bezel should be pretty easy to spot.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #25
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
That’s not true. Not sure what model Rolex you own, but it you pick up the warranty card, it clearly says “serial” with a number following it..

Try looking at my profile & you will see exactly which model Rolex’s I own.

Regardless of what it says on mine, yours, or anybody else’s warranty card the reference number of your watch is not a serial number.

By saying so you are completely missing my point.

By definition a ‘serial’ number is a number that follows a set pattern & runs in series from one number to the next... e.g 102, 103, 104 and so on.

If your watches reference number is made up of a completely random set of numbers & letters then it cannot possibly be a ‘serial’ number.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Regardless of what it says on mine, yours, or anybody else’s warranty card the reference number of your watch is not a serial number.

By definition a ‘serial’ number is a number that follows a set pattern & runs in series from one number to the next... e.g 102, 103, 104 and so on.

If your watches reference number is made up of a completely random set of numbers & letters then it cannot possibly be a ‘serial’ number.

You must be confused. The watchmaker Rolex themselves write on the warranty card the word “serial” with a number following it. An example is posted above. If you want to use some literal definition of what a serial number is, ok but that has nothing to do with a Rolex watch, because it does in fact clearly have a serial number assigned to it, as they have had for close to seventy years now. Whether it’s in sequence or random, it’s still what Rolex considers a serial number specific to only that watch. No two watches that Rolex ever made have the same serial number.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:52 AM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
You must be confused. The watchmaker Rolex themselves write on the warranty card the word “serial” with a number following it. An example is posted above. If you want to use some literal definition of what a serial number is, ok but that has nothing to do with a Rolex watch, because it does in fact clearly have a serial number assigned to it, as they have had for close to seventy years now. Whether it’s in sequence or random, it’s still what Rolex considers a serial number specific to only that watch. No two watches that Rolex ever made have the same serial number.

Yes you’re right of course.

Once they went random it would have been better to use the term “case number”. Whether engraved between the lugs or on the rehaut, that is a better term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 08:02 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
You have this backwards. The random serial numbers will never give you any determination on this. Pictures on the other hand are pretty easy to tell.

here's are three variations, pretty easy to see a difference IMO. That said, when you're looking at sales threads, I know why it would be difficult to determine whether or not it's an MK1. But you will need to trust your seller. If they're not sure perhaps move on.

Why do you say there are 3 only
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 08:15 AM   #29
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

The key word here being RANDOM

They do not run in series so should not be referred to as serial numbers because they are not produced in sequence from one watch to the next.

How then could it ever be possible to determine, from something that is given a randomly produced reference code, which version of a bezel colour any particular given watch may have????

It can’t, it’s impossible

Personally, at nearly 51 years old, I do not particularly care about potential future market values of my watch collection - I’ve got better things to do with the next & very possibly my last 30 years on this Earth than to sit around waiting to see if they increase in value or not.

I’m just going to enjoy the damn things!

Quote:
That’s not true. Not sure what model Rolex you own, but it you pick up the warranty card, it clearly says “serial” with a number following it. This number is the same as the one in the rehaut on modern Rolex. It is it’s serial number like a vin for a vehicle.
The warranty card also says “model” followed by a number which is widely known as the reference number, in this case that would be 126710.

However, what the op is asking won’t help with squat because the serial numbers are random now, no order, so no way to date a watch with it, except by if the papers are dated. But even in this case, what you need is the watch in hand and in good lighting. Even then, what you really need is several to compare with, because in the right like the others still look purple-ish.
Glad I don’t care about this silly stuff, just enjoy the watch I got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
They do.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes you’re right of course.

Once they went random it would have been better to use the term “case number”. Whether engraved between the lugs or on the rehaut, that is a better term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I may jump in this dogpile... From Dictionary.com:
noun
anything published, broadcast, etc., in short installments at regular intervals, as a novel appearing in successive issues of a magazine.
Library Science. a publication in any medium issued in successive parts bearing numerical or chronological designation and intended to be continued indefinitely.
adjective
published in installments or successive parts: a serial story.
pertaining to such publication.
pertaining to, arranged in, or consisting of a series.
occurring in a series rather than simultaneously:

I submit that the "serial" part of this, as mentioned by PaulG, 77T - the case number, is the production sequence not the number sequence. The item in question is still produced in a series, therefore serial number. The numbers themselves not sequential, therefore random. Random numbers, sequenced product.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:49 PM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Why do you say there are 3 only
Cause there were only three watches in front of me and they were all different. Also I’ve only ever seen three variations. Doesn’t mean there are not more, but these three seem to be the only identifiable variations thus far.