The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2020, 11:48 AM   #871
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
This might become the most quoted post of the thread, lol . "Giving back what they earned for the year," what about giving everything back going to back to January 2017? Hey, at least now the opportunity is there. I alresdy sunk about $28,000 from my powder keg on down days over the last two and a half weeks. Hopefully, the opportunities continue.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ (SM-G975F-DS) using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree.

So where's the bottom

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:37 PM   #872
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yep, I agree.

So where's the bottom

-80% from peak.
Old 20 March 2020, 01:06 PM   #873
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
-80% from peak.
Old 20 March 2020, 01:26 PM   #874
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, I agree.

So where's the bottom

My guess is S&P bottoms 1450-1600 sometime around July...
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 02:36 PM   #875
golfgrouch
Banned

Quote:
-80% from peak.
I believe that was the Great Depression, correct?
golfgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 03:01 PM   #876
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Futures are somehow in the green right now but I have a feeling we're in for a very bumpy ride tomorrow.

NYT just posted this an hour ago on latest unemployment figures... I think a lot of this is obviously "temporary" and not addressed really in the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-states.html?
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 03:18 PM   #877
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I watch a lot of CNBC.

Lots of professionals stating opinions. Unending variations and possibilities.

My take away: no one knows jack squat. It’s all a gamble and a risk.

I’m holding. Good luck to all.
That's pretty true. Although it seems like most opinions converge around the thought that the market won't stabilize and begin a steady up until there is more resolution on COVID19 in the US (peak infections deaths) and we see what any fiscal or monetary assistance actually do to help the situation. I'm no expert, but it appears that 2350 is a support and if it closes below that, I believe that another support is about 2100. The current buying seems oe be based on sentiment of what seems like a good bargain rather than any underlying facts about the virus and the economy.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 03:28 PM   #878
Turnaround
"TRF" Member

I think Dow 8000 will be bottom. We’ve got another 2 months to go.
Turnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 03:38 PM   #879
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Futures are somehow in the green right now but I have a feeling we're in for a very bumpy ride tomorrow.

NYT just posted this an hour ago on latest unemployment figures... I think a lot of this is obviously "temporary" and not addressed really in the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-states.html?

I'll take what is a dead cat bounce for 1000 dollars.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 07:34 PM   #880
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
My guess is S&P bottoms 1450-1600 sometime around July...
That's an interesting range.

Do you believe that it will eventually go on to new highs?

Old 20 March 2020, 08:59 PM   #881
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
One of the commenters I saw suggested that a lot of these leveraged ETFs are unwinding their positions, hence the huge swings.

I dunno. It's a thought.
Yes this is part of the volatility

Quote:
That's an interesting range.

Do you believe that it will eventually go on to new highs?

Yes there will be new highs as the world economy heals and grows again. How long that will take is another question.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:09 PM   #882
beshannon
"TRF" Member

7:00 am thoughts

1.5 T worth of options set to expire, stimulus starting to be priced in, volatility could ease into next week, NASDAQ futures limit up, markets are as oversold as 1929, 1987 and 2008, credit spreads have widened

Quote:
The Dow Is Rallying as Warren Buffett Buys the Stock Market Dip

https://www.ccn.com/the-dow-is-rally...ck-market-dip/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 20 March 2020, 09:13 PM   #883
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Yes there will be new highs as the world economy heals and grows again. How long that will take is another question.
I appreciate your positivity.

I expect the same. And while all the experts appear to say different things, they all do believe it’ll come back stronger than ever.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:14 PM   #884
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’m with you my Brian

I guess I asked the question to the responder because this thread seems to focus on the negative instead of the potential positive.

Yes it’s horrible to see our investments, retirement savings, etc etc get crushed. It’s upsetting to most and life changing to some who are close to or living in retirement, but there is hope for a brighter future.

A market is made up of buyers and sellers and it will go up and down. I think for many here, the market only goes up and to the right. That may be true for most of us since it’s basically been that way since 2009 if you graph it and for others it’s easy to forget the past.

Someone once said if you can’t image a 20% (or worse) market correction, it’s probably a place you shouldn’t be investing
Old 20 March 2020, 09:19 PM   #885
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I appreciate your positivity.

I expect the same. And while all the experts appear to say different things, they all do believe it’ll come back stronger than ever.
Thanks, yours as well this is a tough time, I try to remain objective even though I see my balances

Quote:
I’m with you my Brian

I guess I asked the question to the responder because this thread seems to focus on the negative instead of the potential positive.

Yes it’s horrible to see our investments, retirement savings, etc etc get crushed. It’s upsetting to most and life changing to some who are close to or living in retirement, but there is hope for a brighter future.

A market is made up of buyers and sellers and it will go up and down. I think for many here, the market only goes up and to the right. That may be true for most of us since it’s basically been that way since 2009 if you graph it and for others it’s easy to forget the past.

Someone once said if you can’t image a 20% (or worse) market correction, it’s probably a place you shouldn’t be investing
Completely agree, I was perhaps too aggressive recently as I am within a year of being able to stop working at my present job.

Will I do that now or even be able to do that now? I am no longer sure.

I do know that whatever happens in the next year pales in comparison to needing my money to work for me for the next 30 and in that time the markets will recover and they will be higher. Simple charts can show this.
Old 20 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #886
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
-80% from peak.

Many individual issues are down that much, the entire market will not go down 80%
Old 20 March 2020, 10:05 PM   #887
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a very good thing!
Yes and no. It shows the global community is too dependant on a system that really does not support the human race fairly or equally imho. This system chooses 'winners' and 'losers', and not for the overall good of the human race imho. Abuse of power and all that too.

One's merit on a global scale is not truly 'rewarded' if it does not benefit in a way that serves those who... but that's a whole 'nother can-o-worms not for this thread.

Stay safe everyone and remember, this knife has not fully fallen yet. We're only in 'phase' 2 of what it at least 5 phases.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 10:08 PM   #888
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Anyone else looking to buy long-term at those industries hit the hardest by COVID-19, knowing they'll eventually (could be awhile, but eventually!) bounce back?

Just my thoughts, and happy to hear all opinions:

Travel - MGM, BKNG, YELP, TRIP
Entertainment - IMAX
Restaurants - DIN, EAT, SHAK
Old 20 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #889
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
I’m with you my Brian

I think Charlie Munger (Warren Buffett's long-time business partner) said it best:

“if you’re not willing to react with equanimity to a market price decline of 50% two or three times a century you’re not fit to be a common shareholder and you deserve the mediocre result you’re going to get".

Although, we have had 2 in the past 20 years and may be on the way to yet another so we may be entering a different era in investing.
Old 20 March 2020, 10:45 PM   #890
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Anyone else looking to buy long-term at those industries hit the hardest by COVID-19, knowing they'll eventually (could be awhile, but eventually!) bounce back?
Yes, but not yet.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 10:53 PM   #891
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Just my thoughts, and happy to hear all opinions:

Travel - MGM, BKNG, YELP, TRIP
Entertainment - IMAX
Restaurants - DIN, EAT, SHAK

Yes. I have an inappropriate amount of MGM.
Old 20 March 2020, 10:54 PM   #892
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Anybody who knows way more than I do have thoughts on picking up cruise stocks? Carnival down to $10 last I checked. Are we at the bottom for them yet you think? I'm very tempted to pick some up. Currently down ~80% off the high
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 10:58 PM   #893
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Anybody who knows way more than I do have thoughts on picking up cruise stocks? Carnival down to $10 last I checked. Are we at the bottom for them yet you think? I'm very tempted to pick some up. Currently down ~80% off the high
I've thought about that too, specifically RCL, but didn't include them in my list above of things that "should" eventually bounce back.

I hesitate there because we just don't know what COVID-19 will do to the cruise line industry, and if they can weather this storm. I think there will be a negative outlook on cruising for a long time after this, so it's a tough pickup for me. I could also see a few going bankrupt if this goes on for too long.
Old 20 March 2020, 11:02 PM   #894
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Currently down ~80% off the high
It can go down another 100%.

I confess a little annoyance at proposals that the government bail out cruise lines... most of the people who work on those ships are not USA citizens. Those ships are "flagged" in other countries with different (less strict) laws.

OK, rant over.

We'd like to hope that most if not all of these larger companies will continue to pay their employees, so given that expense, and they still have to pay for offices and of course the huge loans that they take out on these ships, plus I assume, dock fees, they will be hemorrhaging money for months.

At some point, yes, it will be a good investment if they survive, but I can think of better places to put your money.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 20 March 2020, 11:03 PM   #895
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've thought about that too, specifically RCL, but didn't include them in my list above of things that "should" eventually bounce back.

I hesitate there because we just don't know what COVID-19 will do to the cruise line industry, and if they can weather this storm. I think there will be a negative outlook on cruising for a long time after this, so it's a tough pickup for me. I could also see a few going bankrupt if this goes on for too long.
I have the same hesitation but think of the big companies they (Carnival) are in the best position to get through this, with RCL a close second. I wouldn't touch NCL or any of the others no matter how low they go - I think they may go bye-bye.

I may throw a few thousand on Carnival, an amount that I can afford to lose. Not sure I would put big money on them for the reasons you mentioned. Could be worth a small gamble though
Old 20 March 2020, 11:11 PM   #896
m j b
"TRF" Member

Let's think about what demands will be pent up from the various lockdowns, quarantines, etc. when this is over.

- People have to buy food and use utilities. That didn't stop during the crisis.
- You need a car to get to work, unless you live in a big city with decent public transport (NYC). And if you have a job. So I can see car sales recovering.
- People will want to get out of the house and travel, but I wonder if there will still be some travel restrictions? I'm guessing not, domestically. Also, a lot of of business travel will have been deferred. I suspect international travel will still be down a bit.

I think anyone that wants to take a cruise after the horror stories we've seen should have their head examined. So I'm not bullish on them.

Any other thoughts on best industries for the recovery? In terms of investing.

Old 20 March 2020, 11:18 PM   #897
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Smarter people than me on here. But here is an interesting article in the National Review re: cruise companies.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...ital-industry/

One can debate the policy positions of the article. But I do agree that one of the major questions is wether they will be considered too big to fail and receive the same type of bailout as the auto industry and financial industry did.

Given the low percentage of Americans they directly employ, and their tarred public image, I have my doubts as to whether they will receive enough to weather the multi year storm that may be coming their way.

Enough to boost share prices temporarily? Perhaps. But the longer term issue is not one that has an easy answer.

Stay safe.
Old 20 March 2020, 11:19 PM   #898
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It can go down another 100%.

I confess a little annoyance at proposals that the government bail out cruise lines... most of the people who work on those ships are not USA citizens. Those ships are "flagged" in other countries with different (less strict) laws.

OK, rant over.

We'd like to hope that most if not all of these larger companies will continue to pay their employees, so given that expense, and they still have to pay for offices and of course the huge loans that they take out on these ships, plus I assume, dock fees, they will be hemorrhaging money for months.

At some point, yes, it will be a good investment if they survive, but I can think of better places to put your money.
Good point on the 100% but agree completely on the bailouts. I said the same thing to my wife the other night. These companies purposely flag their ships in other countries to avoid U.S. labor laws and pay their employees garbage wages, now they want the U.S. taxpayers to bail them out. Maybe it's time to let them sink (pun intended)
Old 20 March 2020, 11:21 PM   #899
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Thanks, yours as well this is a tough time, I try to remain objective even though I see my balances

Completely agree, I was perhaps too aggressive recently as I am within a year of being able to stop working at my present job.

Will I do that now or even be able to do that now? I am no longer sure.

I do know that whatever happens in the next year pales in comparison to needing my money to work for me for the next 30 and in that time the markets will recover and they will be higher. Simple charts can show this.
I'll second that. Appreciate your positivity and objective analysis in this trying time.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:22 PM   #900
JParm

Quote:
Let's think about what demands will be pent up from the various lockdowns, quarantines, etc. when this is over.

- People have to buy food and use utilities. That didn't stop during the crisis.
- You need a car to get to work, unless you live in a big city with decent public transport (NYC). And if you have a job. So I can see car sales recovering.
- People will want to get out of the house and travel, but I wonder if there will still be some travel restrictions? I'm guessing not, domestically. Also, a lot of of business travel will have been deferred. I suspect international travel will still be down a bit.

I think anyone that wants to take a cruise after the horror stories we've seen should have their head examined. So I'm not bullish on them.

Any other thoughts on best industries for the recovery? In terms of investing.
I don't see new car sales recovering for awhile if unemployment truly goes up. I think people will use whatever they currently have, or at the very least buy used. This one is a longer term pull for me.

To the 2nd bold point, I think people will still continue to travel to get away, at least domestically, as you said. People will still eat out, that's why I think restaurants are a decent buy.

I'm holding off on cruise lines...there's just not enough there to tempt me.