The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2020, 01:06 PM   #1
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Anyone with both a WG and a PT Day Date

I am seriously considering a white metal DD to compliment my sub. On the used market even newer 6 digits are pretty decently priced. Anyone have one of each? Any comments/preferences? Yeah, I know the Pt is heavy... Thinking 36mm.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 01:51 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Does WG SkD and Pt DDII count? Go DDII. Sold the SkD.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 03:24 PM   #3
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Does WG SkD and Pt DDII count? Go DDII. Sold the SkD.
Sure. Interested in the wearing comfort of WG vs PT. I like PT for a lot of reasons but WG is significantly less expensive and lighter.
Old 2 May 2020, 01:30 PM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Preowned 36mm DD is going to be quite a bit less expensive than the DD40 or DDII. It price is the main factor, getting a DD 36mm in WG would be your best bet. If price is less of a factor, I would get the platinum DD40.

Only the wearer can tell the difference between a platinum and WG watch most of the time unless meet another WIS. And YG is and will be the most popular DD metal for an obvious reason. But if you want white metal and want to save some cash, WG is a fine choice.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:58 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

To be honest it makes more sense to get a non white metal to mix it up.

WG and PT looks almost identical to me even when right next to each other. From 1meter+ away its pretty much the same.

WG + YG
WG + RG
PT + YG
PT + RG

Those would make better sense to me. Also a DD36 vs a DD40 is a pretty big jump in prices.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 09:59 PM   #6
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Sure. Interested in the wearing comfort of WG vs PT. I like PT for a lot of reasons but WG is significantly less expensive and lighter.
No difference in the wearing comfort. I found I rarely wore the WG after acquiring the Pt and has since found a new home.

The WG is 179g and Pt is 227g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B545431-A179-4DE6-93AA-A320B0AE756C.jpeg (31.2 KB, 462 views)
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:29 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Like Steve said, not a big difference - but the dial choices make the platinum one more desirable methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:04 AM   #8
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Is the fluted bezel important to you? That could help make your decision a bit easier given PT isn’t available with it. I’m possibly looking to get a WG myself. PT is a bit out of my budget although I would love one. Have tried both many times and there is a noticeable weight difference in the hand but once it’s on that will disappear.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:10 AM   #9
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
good thread. i have been struggling with this and just yesterday decided on yellow gold DDII.
i will still have white gold in my mind i think moving forward. may just have to find another piece :)
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:39 AM   #10
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

OP,

20 years ago I had the PL DD36. It was a bit too heavy then and I sold it - the Platinum 40MM is much bigger now and is about 10 OZ of pure platinum - I had the same thoughts as you recently. I was considering a PM DD (Plat or WG). The Ice Blue dial of the Platinum DD is very alluring, but I ultimately decided to just trade out of a few pieces and get a BNIB WG DD40 and call it a day. I am very happy with the decision....
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:40 AM   #11
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies all. To reply to a few comments:
-I know WG and Pt look similar but to me the Pt has something about it that is different. Plus I like the greater durability, the greater corrosion resistance and the purity.

-Not considering a fluted bezel.

-Considering pre-owned 36. Just prefer the smaller size in the DD although I should probably check out the 40 since I currently wear a 40. This all started when I tried on a 36 WG at an AD and really liked it.

-I REALLY like the champagne dial on the Pt...
Old 3 May 2020, 02:43 AM   #12
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
OP,

20 years ago I had the PL DD36. It was a bit too heavy then and I sold it - the Platinum 40MM is much bigger now and is about 10 OZ of pure platinum - I had the same thoughts as you recently. I was considering a PM DD (Plat or WG). The Ice Blue dial of the Platinum DD is very alluring, but I ultimately decided to just trade out of a few pieces and get a BNIB WG DD40 and call it a day. I am very happy with the decision....
Yeah, I know the Pt will weigh about twice that of my sub... I walk/run a lot and use my hands a lot for work. So the weight over time is not something you can assess at the store. I LIKE the weight in the store. But not sure I would over time.
Old 3 May 2020, 04:59 AM   #13
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
No difference in the wearing comfort. I found I rarely wore the WG after acquiring the Pt and has since found a new home.

The WG is 179g and Pt is 227g.
I have these same two watches with the same dials! The color of pt is almost white whereas WG is warmer and darker. Both excellent watches. Got the WG first and thought I’d sell it when the pt came along. Now I find myself wearing the WG much more often. Having the pt makes me less self conscious about the WG. Love them both more than my YG DD by a mile.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 07:05 AM   #14
Low-Key
"TRF" Member

I’m with Steve and Paul, here. I have newer Presidents in both YG and platinum, and in 36mm for my 6.5” wrists. Though I have Subs/GMTs and other tool watches new and old And in different metals, I didn’t add the Presidents so much to complement them, so much as I was just drawn by the totally different character that they each offer (especially relative to each other). Being that you said earlier that the look of a fluted bezel doesn’t matter to you, I’d take advantage of the deals you’re seeing and go straight to the top for platinum. The purity of platinum really is special, and with a President, it’s worth going all the way. My $.02.
Low-Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 08:20 AM   #15
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND- DJ Yella's
I have been undecided about wg vs pt day dates for quite a few years. I've owned a YG 18238 for about ~15 years. Rarely wear it since its a bit gaudy (but I love it and its never leaving) and I'm self conscious about it. For a 36mm DD the pt isnt that much more than wg. I acquired a 118206 (glacier diamond dial) about 3 days ago, made a great deal with capetown and now I'm glad I did. I do like some of the color dials with the wg but at this moment have no desire for the WG piece. The weight on the PT is fantastic and now I never have to feel self conscious about wearing it as I dont think I would ever encounter anyone who would even know what it is.
gaymondlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 10:09 AM   #16
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Key View Post
I’m with Steve and Paul, here. I have newer Presidents in both YG and platinum, and in 36mm for my 6.5” wrists. Though I have Subs/GMTs and other tool watches new and old And in different metals, I didn’t add the Presidents so much to complement them, so much as I was just drawn by the totally different character that they each offer (especially relative to each other). Being that you said earlier that the look of a fluted bezel doesn’t matter to you, I’d take advantage of the deals you’re seeing and go straight to the top for platinum. The purity of platinum really is special, and with a President, it’s worth going all the way. My $.02.
Thanks for that. It's what I am thinking. I didn't want to settle for something lesser when I went for my sub (like another brand) and might as well go to the top as you say. And yes, totally different character.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:49 PM   #17
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Pte and WG are very different. The OTW DD2 is one of my favourites
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:46 AM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Anyone with both a WG and a PT Day Date

I wear my DDII regularly (I don’t baby it) and have no comfort issues because the bracelet is perfectly sized. If it was too tight or loose, then I’d have chucked it a long time ago.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:16 AM   #19
F33A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Yeah, I know the Pt will weigh about twice that of my sub... I walk/run a lot and use my hands a lot for work. So the weight over time is not something you can assess at the store. I LIKE the weight in the store. But not sure I would over time.
In the short time that I've been a member of the forum, I've noticed that those who say that the platinum is too heavy are not, generally, those who actually own one.
F33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:42 AM   #20
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F33A View Post
In the short time that I've been a member of the forum, I've noticed that those who say that the platinum is too heavy are not, generally, those who actually own one.
What proof or evidence do you have to back up your statement??

I believe that Facts are always more respected than opinions....

That said, I certainly owned one and then sold it a few years later because I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my 40’s - I have been in long term remission from CT and I did seriously consider the new PLAT DD40 - so I borrowed my next door neighbors PT DD40 for 2 days - I wore it and it was a bit too heavy - and I subsequently had to wear a wrist brace for a week to alleviate the discomfort.....
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:37 AM   #21
F33A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
What proof or evidence do you have to back up your statement??
I made an observation. Observations are just that - they require neither proof nor evidence.

What evidence or proof do you offer that your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome was related to the wearing of that watch? "Well, I wore it and I got it" won't do.
F33A is offline   Reply With Quote