The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2020, 12:27 PM   #31
Mifune
Banned

Ive had only MODERATE success with Cape Cod... I have used it on my wedding band before ever letting close to my watch and thankfully so because while it does polish, it doesn't do so without leaving MICRO scratches... it wont get to a mirror glass finish. Ive had much better results with Jewelers cloth.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 12:31 PM   #32
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Nope
Old 22 April 2020, 09:05 PM   #33
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I knew I'd seen something on this. take a look at the following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkd8Yz1pz0
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 09:32 PM   #34
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don’t use a Cape Cod but I would rather lightly polish gold polished surfaces myself than let some watchmakers do it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 09:40 PM   #35
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
I knew I'd seen something on this. take a look at the following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkd8Yz1pz0
That was pretty bad....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:23 PM   #36
Nipson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
I wouldn't mind doing it on the links, which are small surfaces. But on the big sufaces like the sides of the case, that's another story.
Nipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:34 PM   #37
amanbra
"TRF" Member

These threads are good, i keep thinking about polishing my two tone daytona and then I read this and back off.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #38
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I used it once, it doesnt make it perfect and if anything blemishes its surroundings. Leave it until its service time imo
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #39
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
These threads are good, i keep thinking about polishing my two tone daytona and then I read this and back off.
I don't think you should worry too much. If the case is already scratched up the cloth won't create additional damage. Provided you tape up those areas you don't want the cloth to come into contact with and you take your time and apply even pressure over the area you are working on I believe you will acquire a positive result.
I would be interested to know on what grounds those who advise not to attempt it are basing their recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 23 April 2020, 09:15 AM   #40
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
That was pretty bad....
Well he gathered all the necessary items he needed prior to commencement. He protected those areas he didn't want the cloth to come into contact with. He was particularly good at keeping the whole process in view of the camera. He talked through and explained in detail each part of the process. He showed a before and after image to allow comparison. He pointed out that it wasn't as highly polished as Rolex would have achieved but nevertheless it was a significant improvement.
I'm not entirely sure why you thought it was "pretty bad", and neither are you otherwise you would have elaborated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 23 April 2020, 09:57 AM   #41
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I have used Cape Cod sparingly on center links of my TT watch. I achieved good results. YMMV. If you're careful and know what you're doing it'll be fine. If not you'l mess it up.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:58 AM   #42
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Just got my first scratch on my clasp I’m super anal about not going near anything with my watch in but as people are saying the gold parts scratch when looking at them I’m trying to live with it but struggling!!!
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 04:00 AM   #43
Xenon
Banned

Never. It will create a cloudy finish especially on PCL's.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 04:16 AM   #44
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I would recommend using cape cod on the centre links.
I've used it for years as I totally disagree with all the "live with the scratches" responses you get on here.
When you buy a watch it's immaculate and scratch free so obviously makes sense to keep it looking that way.
It will only remove light scratches but never done any harm to any watch I've owned for the last 30 years
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 04:24 AM   #45
illiguy

No. Chasing scratches is like Don Quixote battling windmills.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 06:19 AM   #46
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
I use those polishing cloths all the time for all my PM jewelry and watches. Works well and I keep my rings and watches looking pretty good that way. This also will remove tarnish buildup. 18k gold can and will tarnish a bit over time. Not noticeable until you clean it.

The key is just not to overdo it. In other words, polishing & buffing works because it is moving and removing (mostly removing) a small amount of material from the surface to help remove those micro scratches. Also, since you have a two tone watch be careful with the stainless steel next to the gold links. Most likely those are intentionally scratched and not polished to a mirror surface like the gold. If you like the current look, you could change that unintentionally.

One last thing. Don't forget to buff it to a mirror finish after using the polishing cloths. People forget that second step sometimes and complain about hairline scratches being left behind. You can get a good buffing cloth online, or buy this companies kit that includes a nice cloth for buffing.

In short, sure its fine and safe to do some hand polishing to keep your PM watch bright and sparkling, But don't use any machines unless you are experienced. That's where you can really mess things up. Other than that, it's hard to do any harm that couldn't be fixed with a full and professional polishing job when the time comes every 5-10 years for a full service. Good luck and enjoy keeping your watch looking good!
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 06:25 AM   #47
Xenon
Banned

If you polish the center links without taping the outer brushed links you will end up with polished brushed links and the outer and center links will start to blend together.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 06:38 AM   #48
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It’s just basic yearly maintenance. I highly prefer the yellow “sunshine polishing cloths”. I can erase minor scratches and get a factory finish in about 5 minutes on the PCL clasp. It’s a skillset you either commit to learn or you leave it to professionals. Practice on a cheap watch first. You will never, ever remove enough excess material even if you polish weekly for years with a polishing cloth. Dremmel and power buffers is where the armature gets into dangerous territory.
Learning how to polish a watch, gun parts, wheels or even paint scratches all require the same skill. It’s no big deal and probably something you should learn how to do if you like to keep items in pristine condition.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote