The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2020, 08:41 PM   #1
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Root Beer 126711CHNR

Hi

First post here.

Bought my first Rolex in 2015 (Sub No Date). I've had my eye on a GMT Master 2 Root Beer since it was first announced in 2018.

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but on the Rolex website it looks incredible. However, on some videos online I'm not as keen. My AD has just advised he has one at the normal RRP (£11,850.00). Wondered if anyone who has one can answer the following:

1. Is the brown on the bezel more of a mud or coffee colour in the flesh?
2. Does the bezel change colour with light shining on it?
3. Does the rose gold bracelet compliment the black/brown bezel in the flesh? In some photo's it looks incredible, but in others I'm not too sure!
4. If anyone has this and a sub do they feel and wear the same?

Thanks!
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:12 PM   #2
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharpe View Post
Hi

First post here.

Bought my first Rolex in 2015 (Sub No Date). I've had my eye on a GMT Master 2 Root Beer since it was first announced in 2018.

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but on the Rolex website it looks incredible. However, on some videos online I'm not as keen. My AD has just advised he has one at the normal RRP (£11,850.00). Wondered if anyone who has one can answer the following:

3. Does the rose gold bracelet compliment the black/brown bezel in the flesh? In some photo's it looks incredible, but in others I'm not too sure!

Thanks!
1. More of a caramel color, or just a tad darker.
2. Not much, but natural light makes it more stunning in a subtle way I can't explain.

3.Yes it's incredible
4.No, Chnr more comfortable in my opinion because of shorter clasp. If you need more adjustment then Sub is more comfortable.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Jets_fan44
"TRF" Member

Watch: And Learn
I was on the fence as well. The colours does not look appealing but once I saw in at an AD while on business - I can tell you as sure as heck it was spectacular. The colours indeed pull your interest in as well as the two tone bracelet. I’m an idiot as I din not pull the trigger on it.
Jets_fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:35 PM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you're overthinking it. The kind of questions you're asking, we can't really help you with. You'd be much better off seeing it in the flesh and evaluating it for yourself.

By the way, I'm a huge fan. IMO, the two toned bezel is the only one in the modern GMT line up that works, color scheme-wise.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:46 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks!
1. It goes through many shades from maroon to black. The colour of the brown is whatever is showing in the prevailing light. But seldom for long.

2. See (1) above.

3. Yes. On me. It's a warm and organic look on me, against my skin. I can't speak for how it will go with you.

4. I have the Sub Date 116613LB and the 126711CHNR. The GMT feels a little bit bulkier on the wrist. There is not much in it. It also looks bigger to me, but this is an illusion caused by the colours.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 10:10 PM   #6
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
1. It goes through many shades from maroon to black. The colour of the brown is whatever is showing in the prevailing light. But seldom for long.

2. See (1) above.

3. Yes. On me. It's a warm and organic look on me, against my skin. I can't speak for how it will go with you.

4. I have the Sub Date 116613LB and the 126711CHNR. The GMT feels a little bit bulkier on the wrist. There is not much in it. It also looks bigger to me, but this is an illusion caused by the colours.
Thanks!

Does it work well with your wardrobe? Good with a suit as well as jeans and a t-shirt?
Old 9 May 2020, 10:12 PM   #7
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I think you're overthinking it. The kind of questions you're asking, we can't really help you with. You'd be much better off seeing it in the flesh and evaluating it for yourself.

By the way, I'm a huge fan. IMO, the two toned bezel is the only one in the modern GMT line up that works, color scheme-wise.
You're right. I think I am just going to pay the deposit and when lockdown eases go and try it on. I can always decide not to take it if it doesn't look right in the flesh.

Thanks.
Old 9 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #8
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
The CHNR is a stunning watch. The rose gold makes it more toned down compared to YG. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:01 PM   #9
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
It's an amazing watch. Don't overthink it and just go pick it up and try it on!
Once I saw it in person and tried it on, I knew I wanted it!
I don't have a sub but I do have a 16600 SD and they are very different on the wrist...highly complementary!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:14 PM   #10
tabs2000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710BLNR, 79220N
I am not a two tone fan. I went into my AD to pickup a white gold Yachtmaster. I was totally underwhelmed by the YM then she brought out a few other watches. When I put the chnr on I couldn’t believe how good the watched looked. I bought it immediately it’s a keeper I wear it often.
tabs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:47 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Does it work well with your wardrobe? Good with a suit as well as jeans and a t-shirt?
It works good for me. I do formal business or scruffy. Mostly scruffy at the moment. I don't do smart casual. It goes under a shirt cuff elegantly and blends in with my skin nicely when I'm in a T shirt. It is obviously a premium watch, but it doesn't shout. My Z-Blue easily has double the bling and twinkle.

A part of this is how I mentally approach it. If the watch wears me, as opposed to me wearing the watch, it will stand out. If I feel awkward wearing it, I will look awkward , and it will draw attention. I just put it on and enjoy wearing it. Occasionally I will reposition it or put my wrist in my pocket if I am unsure of a situation. This seldom happens.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 12:03 AM   #12
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I will add, that prior to this watch I was not a two-tone fan. I owned a datejust two tone, and it confirmed what I thought and put me off them for a while.
I wasn't expecting to like the CHNR And it wasn't on my list, but when I saw it in person and put it on I was hooked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 12:57 AM   #13
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
The CHNR was not on my original list for my next watch purchase. Dual time zone with a bit of color (primarily looking at a blue color for flexibility) were my goals. I've been looking at BLNR, SkyD, etc.

An AD I have been talking with recommended the CHNR as an alternative given the challenge in obtaining the stainless steel pieces at retail. He had one a week back. I am not generally a two tone fan...and putting down $15k+ on the spot for an unseen watch that wasn't on my interest list initially...made me hesitate at that moment. I am now regretting that decision, a week later. :/

I had the chance through a friend to try on the CHNR yesterday, to see whether I would like it. I absolutely loved it! I actually think I may want it more than the BLNR or SkyD now, for sure. As others indicated, it shows definitely as a higher class watch. The chocolate coloring on the bezel (carmel color) mixes very well with the rose gold. The two tone is subtle, not nearly as in your face as a yellow gold two tone. I personally like that. Others stated the rose gold may have made it feel feminine. I did not feel that at all. It felt very masculine. I didn't really to me give off any 'pinkish' tone either. I believe the CHNR would be fairly flexible with wardrobe given the neutral/natural coloring, which I was originally concerned about as well.

If anyone has a U.S. AD that has a CHNR ready to go...let me know. PM me. I'm in!
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #14
magnetic
"TRF" Member

Hi Anthony,
I understand your hesitancy and i am not a TT fan. However, on seeing one of these I was blown away and hopefully you will be as well, but you must see it in the flesh to understand its beauty.
Congrats on being offered one in London and if it helps, I will gladly buy it if you decide it is not for you after a few days.
Matt
magnetic is offline   Reply With Quote