The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2020, 09:17 PM   #1
2polar
"TRF" Member

Thanks for having me & what are your thoughts

Hi all, new member from the UK here...thanks very much for having me.

I decided a few months ago to buy myself my first "nice" watch and after much research I have chosen the Explorer II 216570 white dial. My wife and I frequently visit the Arctic so wanted something that fits in with my lifestyle and can withstand the punishment it'll most likely take...I see the Explorer as fitting the requirements very nicely. I recently contacted the owner of my local AD to find out when they are planning on reopening after quarantine and ended up having a chat about what I'm looking for at which point he said he'd be happy to add me to the waiting list. My question to you guys is have I gone about this the wrong way? Should I have not said anything about the Explorer and just waited to go into the store once they reopen to discuss this face to face? Of course, I'll go in once it does reopen to put a face to a name and show my sincerity but I wonder if, at this point, I'll be just another email enquiry.

Having absolutely no prior experience of purchasing a Rolex I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on whether I've potentially messed up my first impression. As of now, I plan for the Explorer to be my one and only watch and don't plan on acquiring a collection.
2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:41 PM   #2
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I would not worry about it at all, you are the customer. Call multiple AD's and see if they have the watch. The Explorer II is not as difficult to obtain from an AD in the US as many of the other SS models. I personally like the black face better...more legible. Just my opinion. Good luck and welcome.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:44 PM   #3
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Great personal choice and as you are planning to visit as soon as it is open for business again I don't see anything wrong in your approach. Welcome to TRF, looking forward to status reports on your progress.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:46 PM   #4
2polar
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome. My preference is definitely the white dial but that's the beauty of us all being individuals...we all like different things. Many thanks for your thoughts
Old 20 May 2020, 09:46 PM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
You did totally fine. As said above me the Explorer II is not one of the more difficult sports models to obtain. After the store opens go in and introduce yourself so they can put a face with the name. At that point they will know you are serious and will find you that watch. I like that you are getting a watch that has meaning to you. I prefer the white dial since in my mind I associate the Explorer II with snow, ice and the artic. I think it's a great choice. Good luck and welcome to TRF!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:48 PM   #6
2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
Great personal choice and as you are planning to visit as soon as it is open for business again I don't see anything wrong in your approach. Welcome to TRF, looking forward to status reports on your progress.

Cheers
Marc
Many thanks, Marc. I'll be sure to update as and when I have one
Old 20 May 2020, 09:49 PM   #7
2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
You did totally fine. As said above me the Explorer II is not one of the more difficult sports models to obtain. After the store opens go in and introduce yourself so they can put a face with the name. At that point they will know you are serious and will find you that watch. I like that you are getting a watch that has meaning to you. I prefer the white dial since in my mind I associate the Explorer II with snow, ice and the artic. I think it's a great choice. Good luck and welcome to TRF!
Thank you very much, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm feeling a little better that I haven't messed it up!
Old 20 May 2020, 11:25 PM   #8
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2polar View Post
Many thanks, Marc. I'll be sure to update as and when I have one
When your AD reopens, you may want to ask for a copy of this. Will probably sweeten the wait.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:53 AM   #9
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Nothing wrong with your approach! And the Explorer II white dial is the one I´d get if I could find one new at my AD (I won't buy used or go grey, but that's just me!) As far as I know there's a near complete dearth of ss Rolex sports watches in the UK and certainly here in Germany, and it´s anybody's guess what things will be like when we get back to something approaching normal. But you never know, so good luck in finding one!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:28 AM   #10
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I agree with your Polar quest...that will be my big purchase next !
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 04:03 AM   #11
2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
Nothing wrong with your approach! And the Explorer II white dial is the one I´d get if I could find one new at my AD (I won't buy used or go grey, but that's just me!) As far as I know there's a near complete dearth of ss Rolex sports watches in the UK and certainly here in Germany, and it´s anybody's guess what things will be like when we get back to something approaching normal. But you never know, so good luck in finding one!
Like you, I'm not prepared to go grey market...I just don't agree with paying over rrp. I know demand allows it but that doesn't sit well with me. I don't begrudge those who buy grey but I won't be doing that myself.

Fingers crossed the wait won't be too long
Old 21 May 2020, 04:03 AM   #12
2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
I agree with your Polar quest...that will be my big purchase next !
Awesome! Best of luck getting one yourself
Old 21 May 2020, 04:55 AM   #13
timemaestro
Banned

Welcome. Good luck getting yourself one.
timemaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 05:20 AM   #14
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome! I don't think that there is anything wrong with your approach. If anything I'm sure the AD appreciated your call and welcoming a new customer in a time where business will no doubt have been slower than usual.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 10:12 AM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
You didn’t do anything wrong. You’re a customer who knows what he wants. That’s a good thing. When you are able, go in and introduce yourself and tell the owner you were still interested. Now you are more than just a name in an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote