The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 02:36 AM   #31
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Daytona with defect on ceramic bezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper0419 View Post
Hey guys,

I've gotten a white 116500LN 2 years back from a place which I am pretty sure is legit. Proper shop and Rolex AD as well.

Today I've spotted a defect on the ceramic bezel which I did not paid much attention to before as I wore the wore only about 3 times up till today.

Now I am starting to get paranoid about the watch.

Can anyone tell me if this is a possible defect from Rolex, given that there should be QC, etc.

Thanks for all input. I plan to being this to Rolex Service but they are closed right now due to the current situation and its just bad feeling to hang on to for the moment.

Thanks in advance for any input.

OP, is this the Daytona you paid $20k for 2 yrs ago?

You mentioned in a few posts 2 yrs ago that you were considering to buy it and if TRF’ers believed it would go up from $20k in 1-2 yrs. So assuming you bought as an investment and sell it around now?

How old was it when you bought it? This may affect warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:41 AM   #32
gazar
"TRF" Member

Nice patina on the bezel
gazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:50 AM   #33
Viper0419
"TRF" Member

Hi All,

There's been a lot of speculation regarding the topic hence allow me to clarify.

The watch is bought from a grey market AD (albeit a well known one), and the warranty stamps shows a Rolex AD stamp. I have no reason to believe the watch is fake when I bought it because a family friend helped me to source for it through the grey dealer then and I paid a grey dealer price for it. Watch is brand new and warranty stamp 2018 when i bought it 2 years back and I do not intend to sell it now or the foreseeable future.

Yes, after discovering this defect, I started to doubt its authenticity (which I think is a natural thing) as I do not expect a brand new watch to display this type of defect with such light usage.

Yes, I intend to bring it in to RSC to check on it once and for all to have a peace of mind too.

I will also try to get a better picture tomorrow when the sun is up, but I only have my iphone to work with so let's see how it goes.

Once again, thanks for all input.
Viper0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:08 AM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hope all works out when you send it to RSC. They are accepting packages here and I expect they will there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:11 AM   #35
Viper0419
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
While we wait for an answer, can you look closer at your watch especially at the subdials. The photo you uploaded seems to have gloss rings when they are radial.

Not inciting a revolution - I just wondered about it.

On the sub dial. Please see pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4BA4A2F8-8F86-4BDA-9E7A-B90F753835B8.jpeg (170.0 KB, 415 views)
Old 25 May 2020, 03:14 AM   #36
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Hi All,

There's been a lot of speculation regarding the topic hence allow me to clarify.

The watch is bought from a grey market AD (albeit a well known one), and the warranty stamps shows a Rolex AD stamp. I have no reason to believe the watch is fake when I bought it because a family friend helped me to source for it through the grey dealer then and I paid a grey dealer price for it. Watch is brand new and warranty stamp 2018 when i bought it 2 years back and I do not intend to sell it now or the foreseeable future.

Yes, after discovering this defect, I started to doubt its authenticity (which I think is a natural thing) as I do not expect a brand new watch to display this type of defect with such light usage.

Yes, I intend to bring it in to RSC to check on it once and for all to have a peace of mind too.

I will also try to get a better picture tomorrow when the sun is up, but I only have my iphone to work with so let's see how it goes.

Once again, thanks for all input.
Let me clarify the verbiage you have misstated.
A grey market dealer is just that.
An "official Rolex jeweler" is an AD a.k.a. Authorized Dealer
So now we can understand you purchased grey market.
I hope for the coin you paid that the watch is genuine. RSC will confirm.
Best of Luck!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:19 AM   #37
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree the precious metal coating in the real world is just a very thin coating much like PVD and yes it can wear.
Not sitting in a safe unworn. Not even if the watch was worn a few times either.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:24 AM   #38
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I would be extremely worried and only a RSC authenticity certificate would ease my pain at this stage.
Send it in as soon as you can.

Old 25 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #39
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Icon7

I'm putting any doubt down to lighting artifacts in the pic. I see what you're all seeing. I'd just wear that puppy to be honest. A tiny bit of platinum deposit isn't worth bothering with on an otherwise brand new fully stickered piece. Get some white nail polish into the recess OP.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #40
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
If the grey market dealer is a well known one, they have a reputation to uphold and will stand by the purchase. I would say you have little worry about authenticity. If it is fake (or parts) the dealer has a huge interest in fixing it.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:30 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Looks real to me, I'd get the platinum filled in, even on my own dime, looks weird without it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:35 AM   #42
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
With all due respect this is nonsense, it’s comments like this that cause people unnecessary stress.

The watch is clearly genuine OP. Just a defect on the platinum coating. These things happen. Send it to Rolex and they will replace the bezel under warranty.
This

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:43 AM   #43
77T

Quote:
On the sub dial. Please see pic.

Thanks - that must’ve been a glint on the earlier photo. Much success in sorting it out.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 03:58 AM   #44
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
This is deeply concerning to see a brand new Daytona have such a weird defect. If this was my watch it would drive me nuts, bring it in ASAP to be looked at or repaired.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:36 AM   #45
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Mine

Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:45 AM   #46
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Yours still has the plastic stickers on, some of which appear to have worn, so it would appear to have been worn more than three times. Makes the watch a little different, my daughter has a GMT Pepsi with almost no colour on the bezel, obviously not ceramic. Stop worrying, wear the watch with joy.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:35 AM   #47
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Secondary market gray dealers are usually selling pre owned pieces. if the watch was sold by a reseller, and the watch is from a real US AD, or whatever country, then it's still under Rolex warranty, no reseller would have to warranty this. Just send in to RSC and get it repaired, they will surely remove all the stickers. and you will know that the watch is for sure authentic.
Old 25 May 2020, 11:44 AM   #48
Ray6Chan8
"TRF" Member

Did you try cleaning it? Mine had a similar situation on the bezel which I mistaken it for a chip until I rinsed it off with soap and water. Hope yours turn out well.
Old 25 May 2020, 12:23 PM   #49
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Hope RSC can solve this for you on warranty, keep us posted on the outcome!
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:07 PM   #50
walds11
"TRF" Member

Whattt? It’s a two year old watch. This is a defect or wear and tear. Don’t sweat it. The watch will be in good hands at the RSC. Please keep us posted.
Old 25 June 2020, 03:12 PM   #51
Viper0419
"TRF" Member

Guys,

Update on this.

1. The black thing on the bezel is not a defect but due to a piece of gunk being lodged in the number. Not sure why. Really crazy. Managed to get it out with a tooth pick.

2. However, I noticed that there are also 2 defect on the watch dial under a loupe (not visible to the naked eye). They are like specks of dirt or blemish on the dial. I am finally able to send the watch to Rolex Centre after the lockdown. The watch is authentic - Thank Goodness. They told me that they have cleaned up the dial.

While I am thankful that watch is authentic and there is nothing wrong with the dial and its just cleaning done. But it left me with an uneasy feeling. I've barely worn the watch 5 times but yet the dial needs cleaning. I wonder if the QC is really so poor at the manufacturing? Is this normal or am I expecting too much?
Old 25 June 2020, 03:48 PM   #52
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Glad it was resolved.
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:12 PM   #53
asisrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C Panda
Been following this thread with interest and really great outcome and relief to know it's authentic.

I have a Daytona myself....makes me want to look at it under loupe too now.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
asisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:49 PM   #54
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

I just wouldn't look at it with a loupe and you will be all good
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:15 PM   #55
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guys,

Update on this.

1. The black thing on the bezel is not a defect but due to a piece of gunk being lodged in the number. Not sure why. Really crazy. Managed to get it out with a tooth pick.

2. However, I noticed that there are also 2 defect on the watch dial under a loupe (not visible to the naked eye). They are like specks of dirt or blemish on the dial. I am finally able to send the watch to Rolex Centre after the lockdown. The watch is authentic - Thank Goodness. They told me that they have cleaned up the dial.

While I am thankful that watch is authentic and there is nothing wrong with the dial and its just cleaning done. But it left me with an uneasy feeling. I've barely worn the watch 5 times but yet the dial needs cleaning. I wonder if the QC is really so poor at the manufacturing? Is this normal or am I expecting too much?
What was the dirt or defect on the dial?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:19 PM   #56
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Good it was resolved. Remember a similar thread where someone thought his DSSD bezel was worn out. It turned out that after an deep cleaning it was as good as new again :)
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:56 PM   #57
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
using loupe will make you crazy. im glad that you got the "defect" fixed
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:07 PM   #58
eleven11prints
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last:ALS Datograph
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've gotten a white 116500LN 2 years back from a place which I am pretty sure is legit. Proper shop and Rolex AD as well.

Today I've spotted a defect on the ceramic bezel which I did not paid much attention to before as I wore the wore only about 3 times up till today.

Now I am starting to get paranoid about the watch.

Can anyone tell me if this is a possible defect from Rolex, given that there should be QC, etc.

Thanks for all input. I plan to being this to Rolex Service but they are closed right now due to the current situation and its just bad feeling to hang on to for the moment.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Without clearer photos, it is difficult to tell exactly. That bezel looks off to me. The finishing looks like it's lacking the Rolex finesse, with the bezel markers being too deep (IMO) - could be a lack of light that's causing that effect though. If it is an aftermarket bezel, it may go some way to explaining the lack of fusion with the [platinum] inlay.
eleven11prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:27 PM   #59
illiguy

Would relax. The dial probably had what it had on it leaving the factory in Switzerland. These things happen and are minor in grand scheme. Enjoy the watch!

Quote:
Guys,

Update on this.

illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:27 PM   #60
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Guys,

Update on this.

It’s time you used the watch to check the time and nothing more. You’re driving yourself to despair for no reason, I’d suggest retire the loupe and enjoy your watch.