The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 June 2020, 06:38 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Magnitization issue or regulation

Hi guys, so I purchased a Hamilton Khaki(the older version w the date and 2804-2 movement) earlier this month from ebay pre owned. The seller stated that it was running fast, which it is. Over the past 4 days of wearing it it has gained about 20 seconds a day, give or take. right now as I type this it is about 2 minutes fast. ive tried placing it down in different positions at night to no real avail, at least not that I can notice.

Is this most likely to it being magnetized or needing a regulation?
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 10:49 AM   #2
thrillhouse
"TRF" Member

Hard to say without seeing how it looks on a timegrapher. If amplitude and beat error look okay in several positions you could regulate it. Otherwise the timegrapher results will give you hints if the watch is magnetized or has other timekeeping issues.

I have a cheap timegrapher I got off ebay that works great. I’ve read about timegrapher smartphone apps but never tried them. There are also other apps that claim to detect if your watch is magnetized by using the magnetometer built into your smart phone.
thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 01:36 AM   #3
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
Hard to say without seeing how it looks on a timegrapher. If amplitude and beat error look okay in several positions you could regulate it. Otherwise the timegrapher results will give you hints if the watch is magnetized or has other timekeeping issues.

I have a cheap timegrapher I got off ebay that works great. I’ve read about timegrapher smartphone apps but never tried them. There are also other apps that claim to detect if your watch is magnetized by using the magnetometer built into your smart phone.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, not sure what is really wrong w it. Other than timekeeping being off, it seems to run fine, winds and sets smoothly. Having it gain so much time in a few days is quite frustrating tho, especially since its been my daily beater lately. Clearly i'm going to have to send it in. How much does a watchmaker usually charge to demagnetize, or regulate?
Old 23 June 2020, 02:02 AM   #4
thrillhouse
"TRF" Member

Not sure on the price, but it takes 10 seconds to demagnetize so hopefully they can do that for free. For regulation to be successful the movement needs to be running well (in beat, good amplitude, no other irregularities) and you can only tell that by looking at timegrapher results. If the watch hasn’t been serviced recently it’s possible it’ll need a service prior to regulation to keep acceptable time in multiple positions.
Old 23 June 2020, 02:11 AM   #5
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure on the price, but it takes 10 seconds to demagnetize so hopefully they can do that for free. For regulation to be successful the movement needs to be running well (in beat, good amplitude, no other irregularities) and you can only tell that by looking at timegrapher results. If the watch hasn’t been serviced recently it’s possible it’ll need a service prior to regulation to keep acceptable time in multiple positions.
Can a magnetization alter the bph? Also, could any watchmaker regulate a 2804-2? Seems like a simple enough movement to work with. Im in upstate NY, so ive always sent things to Central Watch, but haven't always been satisfied w their work. Any recommendation on who to send it to? Could a jewelry store watchmaker deal w it?
Old 23 June 2020, 06:08 AM   #6
thrillhouse
"TRF" Member

It’s a simple movement but the point I’m trying to make is without knowing the service history it’s unlikely that just demagnetizing and/or regulating will have a significant improvement on the real world performance. Both of those steps are usually done after a service as final steps.

Having said that if you really want to try, you can pick up a demagnetizer on ebay for cheaper than sending the watch anywhere. You could also pick up a cheap timegrapher and a rubber ball to open the case back to try regulate it yourself.
Old 24 June 2020, 07:31 AM   #7
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a simple movement but the point I’m trying to make is without knowing the service history it’s unlikely that just demagnetizing and/or regulating will have a significant improvement on the real world performance. Both of those steps are usually done after a service as final steps.

Having said that if you really want to try, you can pick up a demagnetizer on ebay for cheaper than sending the watch anywhere. You could also pick up a cheap timegrapher and a rubber ball to open the case back to try regulate it yourself.
If this was a cheap Seiko that I didn't mind possibly wrecking the movement in, I probably would give regulating it myself a try. Still not sure what ill do about it.
Old 25 June 2020, 02:45 AM   #8
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

You can buy a demagnetizer on Amazon or eBay for less than $15.
I would buy one and try that first before sending the watch back.

I have had watches get magnetized on a few occasions. They went from being accurate to within 5 seconds per day to running 20-30 spd fast.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 12:49 AM   #9
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
You can buy a demagnetizer on Amazon or eBay for less than $15.
I would buy one and try that first before sending the watch back.

I have had watches get magnetized on a few occasions. They went from being accurate to within 5 seconds per day to running 20-30 spd fast.
Definitely thinking of going that route, at least initially. Id hate to send it in and have to pay a hefty price for work the watch really didn't need.
Old 28 June 2020, 02:11 AM   #10
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Cant help but wonder if the watch simply needs a service, but gaining 30 seconds in roughly a day or two of wearing seems extreme.
Old 28 June 2020, 02:44 AM   #11
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
A magnetized watch usually (but not always) runs quite a bit faster than you describe - as in minutes per day fast. 20 sec/day fast is probably within the specs of this movement, so I'd suggest regulation would be your best route.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 03:28 AM   #12
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have had watches that are magnetized and the speed at which they gain time is very variable. There are some simple ways to tell. If you have a compass --- put the watch near a compass sitting on a table and move the watch past it.. (has to be very close) at different positions and see if the compass needle moves. Demagnitizers are inexpensive and I keep one in the house. Rarely have had to use it but does come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
A magnetized watch usually (but not always) runs quite a bit faster than you describe - as in minutes per day fast. 20 sec/day fast is probably within the specs of this movement, so I'd suggest regulation would be your best route.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #13
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Thanks for the continued info all. After about two-three days of continuous wear it gains about 2 minutes. The fastest its been is 3 minutes.
Old 1 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #14
Going2California
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Hi guys, so I purchased a Hamilton Khaki(the older version w the date and 2804-2 movement) earlier this month from ebay pre owned. The seller stated that it was running fast, which it is. Over the past 4 days of wearing it it has gained about 20 seconds a day, give or take. right now as I type this it is about 2 minutes fast. ive tried placing it down in different positions at night to no real avail, at least not that I can notice.

Is this most likely to it being magnetized or needing a regulation?
I always check for magnetization first. Just use a compass or a gauss meter, there are even apps for this! and it is not true that magnetized watches always run extremely fast. It depends on the degree of magnetization.
Going2California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 11:05 AM   #15
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2California View Post
I always check for magnetization first. Just use a compass or a gauss meter, there are even apps for this! and it is not true that magnetized watches always run extremely fast. It depends on the degree of magnetization.
I believe I do have a compass somewhere. Ill have to see if it makes the compass react.
Old 3 July 2020, 05:54 AM   #16
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2California View Post
Nobody said magnetized watches always run extremely fast - just that they usually do, and that definitely is true in my experience. I have dealt with more than a dozen magnetized watches, and they were all several minutes fast per day. When a watch is magnetized, the magnetic field can cause the coils in the spring to stick together. This has a dramatic effect on timekeeping. It's why magnetized watches almost always run very fast. But not always.

A watch running within its design specs is most likely not magnetized. But it's an easy check/fix, so there's no downside to attempting demagnetization.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #17
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Figured id give a little update here: Found a compass laying around, wound the watch up and put over/next to the compass. The needle did move, very little, but it moved. So definitely magnetized. Thanks for the advice all. Now to decide if I bring it in or buy a demagnetizer myself.
Old 3 July 2020, 01:42 PM   #18
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

it is very simple to do it your self
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:11 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=vintagewaferthin;10698240]If this was a cheap Seiko that I didn't mind possibly wrecking the movement in, I probably would give regulating it myself a try. Still not sure what ill do about it.

Have you been living on a desert island?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:04 AM   #20
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Andad;10721375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
If this was a cheap Seiko that I didn't mind possibly wrecking the movement in, I probably would give regulating it myself a try. Still not sure what ill do about it.

Have you been living on a desert island?

lol maybe bad choice of words..lol but would feel a little more comfortable doing it to a Seiko than this watch.